Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,551 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:51 PM

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics (17966 Views)

Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos) / How Cars 45 Ripped Us Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by AutoJoshNG: 12:18pm On Aug 29, 2019

It is paramount to ensure your car is at its optimal operating condition at all times. Even though this regular maintenance will cost you some money, it will make your car not to suffer a catastrophic failure that can milk your pockets dry.

It is a very easy task for dubious mechanics to extort a car owner who does not have a very good knowledge or experiences about cars. Some of these mechanics are not after the well-being of your car, they have an agenda to make money through you. That’s why some of them will make you come back every now and then.

We at Autojosh came up with some simple tips that will enable you get all the right services you are paying for.

Follow these few steps to be on safe hands.

1. Get the basic knowledge about cars:

If you’re among those that can tell apart a radiator and an air-conditioner condenser, this is for you. You need to have the basic knowledge of most of the parts in your car, so the mechanics don’t end up telling you they need to service the wiper blade in the alternator.

In order to protect your wallet, start learning from today. There are a lot of things you can read here on Autojosh. Go through our blog and thank us later.

2. Use a diagnostic tool:

Scanning a car in Nigeria is not all that cheap. Some workshops will charge as much as N5000 or even N10,000 to scan your car. Scanning your car will give you an edge of knowing the actual problem with your car. It will save you a lot of grammar and explanations from the mechanic.

Getting an OBD scanner of your own isn’t a bad idea if you have the money. You will enjoy it on the long run.

3. Identify the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic:

When you don’t have a diagnostic tool, this is something you should find out. With your knowledge and the signs the fault put out, you should be able to point out what the problem could be.

Is the car misfiring? It could be plug related. Is the coolant in the radiator mixed with oil? It indicates your top/head gasket has been compromised.

When the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic is very clear to you, you’re on the right track.

4. Ask questions and rely on referrals:

There is this saying that the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know. Ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors about a very good mechanic they know. These groups of persons are in a good position to share their experiences with mechanics with you. If they felt any of the mechanics cheated them, they will tell you, so you know how to deal with them.

Referrals from friends, family, or colleagues could be the best way to find a good mechanic.

5. Check the prices of the car parts you’re likely to buy:

A bad mechanic won’t leave out any chance to milk you dry. Buying of spare parts is one of the ways they can do you strong thing. When you know that the price of an air filter is N3000, you can’t fall for a dubious mechanic price tag of N5000.

6. Ask mechanics for the old parts:

Some mechanics charge for replacement of parts without changing anything.

Asking for the old parts is one of the ways you can ensure they don’t collect money for new parts and not fix it up in your car. This works well when you are present where they are fixing your car.

Tell them before hand you need those old parts.

When you stick to these tips, the chances of a mechanic ripping you off are minimal. Even though they can still play smart, but it would be milder.

Kindly let us know other things one can do to avoid being ripped off by mechanics.

We hope this helps.

Don’t forget to like, rate and share.

Source: https://autojosh.com/6-ways-avoid-being-ripped-off-nigerian-mechanics/

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by grandstar(m): 12:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
Best thing to do is to avoid them all together.

if you can afford it, try changing your cars every 3 years. Rumour has it that once your car has been touched
by a Nigerian mechanic, the car will never be the same again.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by PureGoldh(m): 12:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
Nice write-up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by tyehmi(m): 12:51pm On Aug 29, 2019
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by eben2marketer: 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by tedimola(m): 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Sunbellar: 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by tecnolad(m): 12:53pm On Aug 29, 2019
Know all of these and Kazeem will still milk you dry. grin grin grin

With the way mechanics scam people, I'm starting to think that Yahoo yahoo started from them.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Logobenz3: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
grin
No drive benz because routine maintenance will cost as much as an engine replacement for a Toyota.
Whether you like it or not,if you've got a Mercedes,your rip-off is sure and will make you wonder if you've gotta keep expending this much on a car? undecided
But what can we do?necessary evil and we love it grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
no mechanic in naija fit run me street

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by sylve11: 12:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
@ OP, Nice one. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Champneys: 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2019
No way round it, those guys will rip you off one way or the other.... if you are the smartest ever, you will still be ripped off by the standard of work or repairs carried out!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Afam4eva(m): 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2019
I'm probably the only driver that doesn't know jack about car parts. Everything dey sound like chinese for my ear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Buffalo2(m): 12:57pm On Aug 29, 2019
It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for many "Kazeems" to make heaven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by DennisEche(m): 1:01pm On Aug 29, 2019
[quote author=Tnqmgtqs post=81723149][/quote]
GO AND GATHER ALL YOUR VILLAGE AND GIVE THEM THE WINNING TICKET

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by colestephan86: 1:03pm On Aug 29, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

It is paramount to ensure your car is at its optimal operating condition at all times. Even though this regular maintenance will cost you some money, it will make your car not to suffer a catastrophic failure that can milk your pockets dry.

It is a very easy task for dubious mechanics to extort a car owner who does not have a very good knowledge or experiences about cars. Some of these mechanics are not after the well-being of your car, they have an agenda to make money through you. That’s why some of them will make you come back every now and then.

We at Autojosh came up with some simple tips that will enable you get all the right services you are paying for.

Follow these few steps to be on safe hands.

1. Get the basic knowledge about cars:

If you’re among those that can tell apart a radiator and an air-conditioner condenser, this is for you. You need to have the basic knowledge of most of the parts in your car, so the mechanics don’t end up telling you they need to service the wiper blade in the alternator.

In order to protect your wallet, start learning from today. There are a lot of things you can read here on Autojosh. Go through our blog and thank us later.

2. Use a diagnostic tool:

Scanning a car in Nigeria is not all that cheap. Some workshops will charge as much as N5000 or even N10,000 to scan your car. Scanning your car will give you an edge of knowing the actual problem with your car. It will save you a lot of grammar and explanations from the mechanic.

Getting an OBD scanner of your own isn’t a bad idea if you have the money. You will enjoy it on the long run.

3. Identify the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic:

When you don’t have a diagnostic tool, this is something you should find out. With your knowledge and the signs the fault put out, you should be able to point out what the problem could be.

Is the car misfiring? It could be plug related. Is the coolant in the radiator mixed with oil? It indicates your top/head gasket has been compromised.

When the reason why you want to take your car to the mechanic is very clear to you, you’re on the right track.

4. Ask questions and rely on referrals:

There is this saying that the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know. Ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors about a very good mechanic they know. These groups of persons are in a good position to share their experiences with mechanics with you. If they felt any of the mechanics cheated them, they will tell you, so you know how to deal with them.

Referrals from friends, family, or colleagues could be the best way to find a good mechanic.

5. Check the prices of the car parts you’re likely to buy:

A bad mechanic won’t leave out any chance to milk you dry. Buying of spare parts is one of the ways they can do you strong thing. When you know that the price of an air filter is N3000, you can’t fall for a dubious mechanic price tag of N5000.

6. Ask mechanics for the old parts:

Some mechanics charge for replacement of parts without changing anything.

Asking for the old parts is one of the ways you can ensure they don’t collect money for new parts and not fix it up in your car. This works well when you are present where they are fixing your car.

Tell them before hand you need those old parts.

When you stick to these tips, the chances of a mechanic ripping you off are minimal. Even though they can still play smart, but it would be milder.

Kindly let us know other things one can do to avoid being ripped off by mechanics.

We hope this helps.

Don’t forget to like, rate and share.

Source: https://autojosh.com/6-ways-avoid-being-ripped-off-nigerian-mechanics/

You are right man!
Those mechs ain't as intelligent as they claim
If I hadn't been buying my parts myself , I wouldn't be using my car till now.

Pls buy your parts yourself , and use original coolant for your car like this one,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by koolaid87: 1:04pm On Aug 29, 2019
Ripping you off is part of their profession

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by datola: 1:04pm On Aug 29, 2019
Most Nigeria's mechanics are 'Kazeems"

I observed they all use Mobil XHP for all cars and the educated illiterate customers driving latest cars will watch them as they pour wrong oil grade into their car engines.

That's why Nigerian used cars engines are nothing to write home about after one or two years of use.

I prefer servicing my car at organised service centres and even at that I watch and direct them as they work on the car.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Pascopele: 1:06pm On Aug 29, 2019
Imagine you're trying to kill a rat with poison, but use the wrong poison, or the wrong dose

The rat becomes weak but is not dead yet

The rat becomes stronger and that poison can't kill it anymore

Imagine that rat is a bacteria, the poison is an antibiotic

Is it clear now?

Don't abuse antibiotics,. Make sure you get a prescription for antibiotics, there are clear indications for antibiotics.

Don't go and pick your leftover antibiotics from your previous because you feel the same way.

Many illnesses mimic themselves and you may be treating wrongly

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by koolaid87: 1:08pm On Aug 29, 2019
And you're from Where exactly??

quote author=Pascopele post=81723437]Imagine you're trying to kill a rat with poison, but use the wrong poison, or the wrong dose

The rat becomes weak but is not dead yet

The rat becomes stronger and that poison can't kill it anymore

Imagine that rat is a bacteria, the poison is an antibiotic

Is it clear now?

Don't abuse antibiotics,. Make sure you get a prescription for antibiotics, there are clear indications for antibiotics.

Don't go and pick your leftover antibiotics from your previous because you feel the same way.

Many illnesses mimic themselves and you may be treating wrongly[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 29, 2019
Person go con dey do like that guy for that new Airtel advert ?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by phorget(m): 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2019
When will I buy a car so that 'kazeems' will keep reaping me off without it reflecting on my wallet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2019
The only way to avoid being ripped by any artisan of any stripe is to have knowledge. The same thing applies to electricians , computer repairers, watch repairers, phone repairers etc. all greedy bastards out to rip you off.

Always trying to make the simple look complicated, swapping out your parts for bad ones, and engaging in destructive repair

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 29, 2019
I have no idea of vehicles atall!! I am guessing they must have been reaping me off.

I Always leaves my Vehicles at the mechanic's and goes back after fews hours to pick up and pay the mechanic for parts and handi work without asking any questions, i just pay them how much they tell me Always.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2019
partnerbiz4:

How do you do it?

You drive brand new?
What's brand new?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Cotonuo Cars Very Cheap? / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? / Valeo Unveils Camera Tech That Allows Drivers To See The Back Of Their Trailers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.