Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) (4389 Views)

President Uhuru Pauses His Speech During The Call To Prayer (adhaan) / Al-habibiyyah Organises Inaugural “call To Prayer” Competition In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by AbuTwins: 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2019
In Arabic, the word ‘Athan’ is to call or to inform. Religiously, it is a call made to inform people that the time of the prayer has begun. It is obligatory for the congregation in the mosque while for individuals praying alone at home, for example, it is a highly preferred act. It begins by proclaiming the greatness and oneness of Allah and the denial of disbelief and polytheism, testifying to the messengership of Muhammad sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) and then calling to a prosperity which is everlasting, pointing to the return to Allah.

The ‘Iqamah’ is the second and final Call to Prayer and is uttered immediately before the beginning of the obligatory prayer indicating that it is actually time to perform the prayer.

The story of Athan
The ‘Athan’ was made part of ‘sharee’ah’ (Islamic jurisprudence) during the first year of the Muslims’ migration to Madeenah. Before its legislation, Muslims used to agree about fixed times for congregational prayers. Even still, they sometimes found it difficult to remember the exact timings.

One day, The Messenger of Allah sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) and the Muslims discussed the matter of calling the people to prayer at the exact time. Many opinions put forwarded by the companions of Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention ) about the issue. Some suggested the use of a bell like the Christians, others suggested the use of a horn like the Jews, but ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, suggested sending someone to announce the prayer.

Then Allah's Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) agreed to use a bell, but he, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, was not happy to use it because of its similarity with the Christians.

After the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) had ordered a bell to be made so that it could be struck to gather the people to Prayer, a companion, Abdullah Ibn Zayd Ibn Abd Rabbih, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "I was sleeping when I saw in my dream that a man carrying a bell in his hands, and I said: "Slave of Allah, will you sell this to me?" Then he asked what I would do with it? I replied that we would use it to call the people to Prayer. He said: "Shall I not guide you to something better than that?" I replied: "Certainly," Then he told me to say the ‘Athan’ and he told me its wordings.

When I told to Messenger sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) in the morning about the vision what I had seen, he sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) said: "It is a true vision, ‘In shaa’Allah’, so get up along with Bilal, and when you have taught him what you have seen, let him use it in making the call to Prayer, for he has a stronger voice than you." So, I got up along with Bilal and began to teach it to him, and he used it in making the call to Prayer.

‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, heard this when he was in his house, and came out trailing his cloak and said: "Allah's Messenger, by Him Who has sent you with the truth, I have seen the same thing (during sleep) as has been said." To this Allah's Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) replied: ‘Praise be to Allah!’" [Ahmad and At-Tirmithi]

Its Excellence and virtues
Many Prophetic narrations describe the virtues of the ‘Athan’ and the one who calls it. The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) said: “If the people knew what was in the ‘Athan’ (of virtues and rewards) and the first row (i.e. the first line in congregational prayer), and that they could not get it except by drawing lots, they would draw lots…” [Al-Bukhari]

The Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) also said: “Your Lord, the Exalted, Says: “Look at my slave there who makes the call to Prayer and establishes the Prayer out of fear of Me. I have forgiven My slave and have allowed him to enter Paradise.” [Ahmad, Abu Dawood and An-Nasa’i]

The text of the Athan (Arabic accent)
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar.
Ashhadu alla ilaha illallah,
Ashhadu alla ilaha illallah.
Ashhadu anna Muhammadar-rasoolullah,
Ashhadu anna Muhammadar-rasoolullah.
Hayya ‘ala-ssalah,
Hayya ‘ala-ssalah.
Hayya ‘alal-falah,
Hayya ‘alal-falah.
La ilaha illallah.

The meaning of the Athan
Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest.
I bear witness that there is no deity (worthy of worship) but Allah.
I bear witness that there is no deity (worthy of worship) but Allah.
I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger.
Come to the prayer, Come to the prayer.
Come to prosperity, Come to prosperity.
There is no deity (worthy of worship) but Allah.

The text of ‘Iqamah’ (Arabic accent)
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar,
Ash-hadu alla ilaha illallah,
Ashhadu anna Muhammadar-rasoolullah,
Hayya ‘ala-ssalah,
Hayya ‘alal-falah,
Qad qamati-ssalah, qad qamati-ssalah
La ilaha illallah.

The meaning of the ‘Iqamah’
I bear witness that there is no deity (worthy of worship) but Allah
Come to the prayer, come to prosperity.
Prayer is to begin, prayer is to begin.
There is no deity (worthy of worship) but Allah.

As for At-Tathweeb (Saying “Prayer is better than sleep”), it is part of the morning ‘Athan’ to say twice, ‘assalatu khayrun mina-nawm (prayer is better than sleep) after Hayya ‘alal-falah, Hayya ‘alal-falah.

The response those who hears the Athan and Iqama
It is preferred that whoever is listening to the ‘Athan’ should repeat it with the caller saying his exact words, except for the two “hayya ‘ala-ssalah, hayya ‘alal-falah” phrases, after which he should say instead “laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa billah” (there is no power or might save with Allah.)

Everyone who hears the call can repeat it, whether clean or unclean, in a state of post-sexual uncleanliness or menstruating and so on, as it is a remembrance (Thikr). Those who can not do so are the ones who are praying, who are relieving themselves, or are having sexual intercourse.

As for the ‘Iqamah’, it is preferred that the one who hears it repeats the words, except “qad qamati-ssalah.”

Supplications after Athan
The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) said: “Supplications (offered) in between the (two) calls for prayer (i.e. Athan and Iqamah) will never be rejected." The companions, may Allah be pleased with them, said: "O Prophet of Allah! What should we say?" He sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) said: "Ask Allah the Almighty, to grant pardon (and good health) in both this life and the hereafter."

Allah's Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) said: “Any person who, on hearing the Athan, supplicates: “Allahumma rabba haathihid-da‘watit-tammati was-salatil-qa’imati, ati Muhammadan al-waseelata wal-fadheelata wab‘ath-hu maqaman mahmudanal-lathee wa‘adtahu. (‘O Allah! Lord of this complete prayer of ours. By the blessing of it, give Muhammad ( sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention )), his eternal rights of intercession, distinction and highest class (in Paradise). And raise him to the promised rank You have promised him,’ then he will assured of my intercession on the Day of Judgement.)” [Al-Bukhari]

Islamweb.net

Is this similar to the way we make the adhan and the Iqamah? Are you sure there are no additions?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Tobinrobin(m): 8:31am On Aug 30, 2019
Please any insight on this?

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by saddeeqrunka(m): 8:44am On Aug 30, 2019
Alhamdulillah! Jazaakallahu bikhayr

4 Likes

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Ibro27: 8:47am On Aug 30, 2019
Jazakallahu Khairan

3 Likes

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Newnas(m): 8:51am On Aug 30, 2019
Tobinrobin:
Please any insight on this?
This is absolutely wrong.

You see, the hadith's were reported by men to men. The chains of narrators are still in the mother books.

And the life of each narrator is documented without distortion. The people who documented them are people of esteem piety and honesty. Everyone in their generation testified to their piety and honesty - even their enemies.

Any Hadith that has a narrator who's weak in memory or piety is rejected.
They recorded so accurately to the extent that they even mentioned cases of a men who lost their memories due to old age or grief and even men who lost their books to flood, inferno etc. The reports of such men before their disaster is accepted while their reports after their disaster is neither accepted or rejected rather it is suspended.
The report of such men can be accepted if it is supported by a the report of another man of their calibre.

Till today, people spend their lives learning how to scrutinize the chains of hadith. Many even have a PhD in it.

This science of Hadith is one of the many special miracles Allaah has given this ummah. No other religion or civilization can boast of it.

Unfortunately, many Muslims are ignorant of the heritage our pious predecessors left for us. They're busy watching movies, TV shows and playing video games.
فإنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Tobinrobin(m): 8:58am On Aug 30, 2019
Newnas:

This is absolutely wrong.

You see, the hadith's were reported by men to men. The chains of narrators are still in the mother books.

And the life of each narrator is documented without distortion. The people who documented them are people of esteem piety and honesty. Everyone in their generation testified to their piety and honesty - even their enemies.

Any Hadith that has a narrator who's weak in memory or piety is rejected.
They recorded so accurately to the extent that they even mentioned cases of a men who lost their memories due to old age or grief and even men who lost their books to flood, inferno etc. The reports of such men before their disaster is accepted while their reports after their disaster is neither accepted or rejected rather it is suspended.
The report of such men can be accepted if it is supported by a the report of another man of their calibre.

Till today, people spend their lives learning how to scrutinize the chains of hadith. Many even have a PhD in it.

This science of Hadith is one of the many special miracles Allaah has given this ummah. No other religion or civilization can boast of it.

Unfortunately, many Muslims are ignorant of the heritage our pious predecessors left for us. They're busy watching movies, TV shows and playing video games.
فإنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون.

I’m not disputing the Hadith. I’m just trying to learn more. Now look at this next picture please

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by mrZENographer: 8:59am On Aug 30, 2019
Newnas:

Lol, last time I checked they also treat malaria. And one of your churches was also distributing mosquito nets.

Perhaps people are also born with those.

I was going to mention that too. And headache before I saw your mention.

We don't treat HIV AIDS, cancer, CS operation, God of Chosen cures them.
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:05am On Aug 30, 2019
Tobinrobin:

I’m not disputing the Hadith. I’m just trying to learn more. Now look at this next picture please

Here is a thread on Al Bukhari: The Master in the Science Of Prophetic Narrations

https://www.nairaland.com/5103322/al-bukhari-master-science-prophetic
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by MicroBox: 9:07am On Aug 30, 2019
Alhamdulillah! Jazaakallahu bikhayr

1 Like

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Newnas(m): 9:13am On Aug 30, 2019
Tobinrobin:

Firstly, the Hadith of Bukhaaree that you quoted is what the scholars of Hadith call riwaayatul abnaa anil aabaa Wal ajdaad.
The report of children from their parents from their grandparents. It is a special type of narration and is very rare. This is because it's quite difficult to see three generations of the same family upon piety and knowledge to the extent that the grand child is a student of his father and his father was a student of his grand father. Most children usually are usually mentored by other men.

You see, this narration is actually an evidence against you. The biography of this man is so intact that Bukhaaree doesn't need to mention the name of the man's father and grandfather. This is because he doesn't expect anyone to be so ignorant or lazy to the extent that he can't open the books of biography and search for this man then search for his father and his grandfather.

You see, saheeh Bukhaaree was written with such high precision that the feeble mind cannot encompass. But AlhamduliLLaah, out of Allaah's mercy on this ummah he raised a scholar centuries after Bukhaaree had died. This scholar would decide all the mysteries of saheehul Bukhaaree and write them down in a book. His name is Ibnul Hajar. An Egyptian scholar.

Sheikh Albaany said about Ibnul Hajar:
Women have been unable to give birth to his like since his demise

And one of the scholars said:
Saheehul Bukhaaree was a debt on this ummah and Ibnul Hajar paid that debt

TBC.

1 Like

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:21am On Aug 30, 2019
mrZENographer:

Great signs and wonders doesn't mean they have power to cure incurable sickness.

It can be things like turning bread to stone, calling fire from heaven, making objects come out of people's body etc

In Revelation 13:13
Of the false prophet: "He also performs great signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in front of people to decieve them"

Moreover, devil doesn't want people to be healed of sicknesses. He want everyone to suffer both here and afterlife.

Where is the Bible verse that says great signs and wonders does not mean that?
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Newnas(m): 9:24am On Aug 30, 2019
The problem you're facing is the problem that most half-baked wannabe scholars of our time are facing; reading books without requisite knowledge.

Each book was written for a particular type of audience. Saheehul Bukhaaree was written for advanced students of knowledge. In fact, one of my teachers said to me that

What led Shekau of Boko haram to his misguidance is that he read Saheehul Bukhaaree without requisite knowledge

This made him misinterpret and interpolate. Then the result is what we have today.

Regarding the Quran;
The Quran was also reported like the Hadith. Meaning that it was the same principles that guided the report and compilation of Hadith that also governed the transmission of the Quran.

Except that in the case of the Quran, the reporters are too many and dispersed to have agreed upon a mistake or lie.

This type of report is called a mutawaatir report in the science of Hadith. There are a few Hadith that are mutawaatir. However, being mutawaatir isn't a condition for the acceptance of a report. Rather a Hadith must be accepted as long as we can ascertain that the men in its chains are pious and trustworthy.

There's so much more to say but I'm getting tired of typing.

And Allaah knows best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by mrZENographer: 9:27am On Aug 30, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Has no one ever died in your Church? Are all your members Millionaires?

1)The death rate in Chosen is very very low.
We don't die anyhow.

2) No. However, there are thousands of people that came to Chosen poor and are now millionaires.
Moreover, The vision of the church is to save sinners and have the vision of Heaven at last, it's not creating millionaires/money

This doesn't mean whoever comes to Chosen becomes a millionaire instantly. Money is good, but sometimes God can withhold it for many reasons. Not obeying his commandments, or the person might backslide or stop coming to Church once he gets that money that brought him. God knows our hearts.
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Newnas(m): 9:30am On Aug 30, 2019
mrZENographer:

I was going to mention that too. And headache before I saw your mention.

We don't treat HIV AIDS, cancer, CS operation, God of Chosen cures them.

You're a clown.
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Hausaman(m): 9:33am On Aug 30, 2019
Where is that infidel post ?. The MOD removed them because the fakeness of his religion has been proved.
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by mrZENographer: 9:37am On Aug 30, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Where is the Bible verse that says great signs and wonders does not mean that?

In the Bible, many magic was performed. But no magician ever healed a sickness. For example, Pharoah's magicians turned their rods to snakes, water to bloods, but couldn't heal their sores neither protect their children from dying of the plague.

Another one
Acts 8:9 "Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.”

They are good at amazing people with lying wonders.

Also in The Lord's Chosen, I've listened to thousands of people testified how they went to many babalawos, prophets, prophetesses. They will tell them their name, where they were born, what food they ate, all the problems they are passing through. So that they will be amazed. But they CAN'T HEAL THEM. They leave disappointed.
These are called "lying wonders"
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by kutashi: 9:39am On Aug 30, 2019
جزاكم الله خير
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Tobinrobin(m): 9:42am On Aug 30, 2019
Newnas:
The problem you're facing is the problem that most half-baked wannabe scholars of our time are facing; reading books without requisite knowledge.

Each book was written for a particular type of audience. Saheehul Bukhaaree was written for advanced students of knowledge. In fact, one of my teachers said to me that

This made him misinterpret and interpolate. Then the result is what we have today.

Regarding the Quran;
The Quran was also reported like the Hadith. Meaning that it was the same principles that guided the report and compilation of Hadith that also governed the transmission of the Quran.

Except that in the case of the Quran, the reporters are too many and dispersed to have agreed upon a mistake or lie.

This type of report is called a mutawaatir report in the science of Hadith. There are a few Hadith that are mutawaatir. However, being mutawaatir isn't a condition for the acceptance of a report. Rather a Hadith must be accepted as long as we can ascertain that the men in its chains are pious and trustworthy.

There's so much more to say but I'm getting tired of typing.

And Allaah knows best.

Well thank you very much. Glad to have learnt one or two things from you. You’re awesome. Do have a good day
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by mrZENographer: 9:42am On Aug 30, 2019
Newnas:

You're a clown.

That affected nothing in my life neither does it stop the miracles God is doing in Chosen and to as many as will come to experience it.

God bless you.

Stay Tuned to Chosen Delta state crusade live transmission here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTpSz18J4PkEN6a2_HsZsSw

Or

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC5lFF5aLcCDWpJUj1K4cQoQ

Next week, we holding crusade in Congo Brazavil.
Re: The Call To Prayer (athan And Iqamah) by Newnas(m): 9:59am On Aug 30, 2019
mrZENographer:

That affected nothing in my life neither does it stop the miracles God is doing in Chosen and to as many as will come to experience it.

God bless you.

Stay Tuned to Chosen Delta state crusade live transmission here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTpSz18J4PkEN6a2_HsZsSw

Or

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC5lFF5aLcCDWpJUj1K4cQoQ

Next week, we holding crusade in Congo Brazavil.

Sorry. I made a mistake, I shouldn't have called you a clown. You're more than that.

You're a DELUDED CLOWN!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2nd Coming Of Mohammed? / Sujuud Saawi (prostration Of Forgetfulness)- Qobli And Baadi / Amazing Statements By Muhammad: Hallucination Or Reality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.