Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 PM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48151 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 3:28pm On Sep 07, 2019
salford1:

Only God can save Nigeria. Corruption has destroyed the country.
bros God has abandon Nigeria it beyond redemption.....imagine a senerio where nepa will not being light for weeks but send imaginary bills ,plus thugs to collect it or disconnect u...,a country where the richest people are men that over saw e disburment of public money and their cronies

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Abbeybailey(m): 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
bros God has abandon Nigeria it beyond redemption.....imagine a senerio where nepa will not being light for weeks but send imaginary bills ,plus thugs to collect it or disconnect u...,a country where the richest people are men that over saw e disburment of public money and their cronies
And the gullible one here spouting garbage about how Nigeria is better than US. Only a brainless soul can say that out. Kudos to you and hopefully, there will be a revolution in Nigeria to cleanse out the maggots feeding fat on people's wealth.

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 5:04pm On Sep 07, 2019
Abbeybailey:
And the gullible one here spouting garbage about how Nigeria is better than US. Only a brainless soul can say that out. Kudos to you and hopefully, there will be a revolution in Nigeria to cleanse out the maggots feeding fat on people's wealth.
the evil of Nigeria is endless ....imagine a 73 years old jurge with 820m naira fixed deposits meaning all the judgement she gave over 15 years was to the highest bidder....Nigeria is not even a country Nigeria yet is in the league of Dr congo ,car ,chad ,Malawi ,Burundi ..

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 5:10pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nigerians have this fail notion that since we can hit money easily in najia via selling pirated or fake items or through other illegals means or uncessary oppurnties created by failed govt and state and poor regulation we assume it well ....collective success of all citizens is the most important...this are what nation strives for not some gangster called politicians taking all the wealth ,flaunting it and majority living in misery...

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Abbeybailey(m): 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
the evil of Nigeria is endless ....imagine a 73 years old jurge with 820m naira fixed deposits meaning all the judgement she gave over 15 years was to the highest bidder....Nigeria is not even a country Nigeria yet is in the league of Dr congo ,car ,chad ,Malawi ,Burundi ..
Revolution like the one that Rawlings did in Ghana to wipe away 5 Presidents and Ghana has been moving up since then. The youths of Nigeria should stand up to these Thieflicians mortgaging their future . If not, Nigeria will continue to be a laughing stock in the comity of Nations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by odimbannamdi(m): 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2019
lynx200:
The aim of every civilized society is to ensure that a large percentage of the population can afford the necessities of life and have some extra to enjoy some luxuries. This is what the USA, Western Europe, South Korea and Japan have accomplished. There is a lot of debt in these societies which is a fact and the taxes are high but that's the price they are willing to pay for having 80% of the population on at least middle class levels who can afford a university education, live in a house, drive a new car and take a vacation. The taxes are a means of supporting the infrastructure needs of the society and ensure things work unlike in Nigeria where nobody pays taxes and things don't work.

The Op is right when he says that many Westerners live on debt (research has shown there is only USD500 cash for every individual American. The rest is credit!) but its this credit system that is the reason for the stability in these countries. This is something the Chinese government after years of export led growth wants to see happen in their society with their emphasis on domestic consumption.

The thing about Africa and other developing regions is that the cash based economy promotes inequality with a few rich people and masses of poor people. This was the situation in Europe before World war 2. The lack of a credit system to get a home or car is why we drive second hand cars which on the long run cost more to maintain than new cars and rent houses. This is also why many business that deal with non essentials find it difficult to survive here as many people have to survive daily in this country.

But on the flip side, its much easier to get rich than in developed countries as there are still many things and features taken for granted over there that is sorely lacking here and anybody who has the balls to venture into them will hit it big. As for the sentiments expressed here, it's every individual's prerogative to choose what he/she wants. Go getters who are innovative and want to strike it big will easily be pissed with the Western economic model and prefer turbulent countries like Nigeria where they can set up businesses. But for those who just want to live a quiet life and don't want all the money in the world (Good job, meritocracy, good pay, a house and a car with some money for vacation etc) without bothering about electricity or security of live as well as the rule of law, the Western economic model of credit and 50% taxation is a good pay off for that.

Well said, sir. Very well said

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by odimbannamdi(m): 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Why do u think the West has low birth rate for example? When there is no electricity people do things other than watching tv, internet, and other electronic stuff. It gives them a “break”

I am finding it difficult comprehending this post, in relation to your earlier comment that too much electricity has its own disadvantages.

Are you implying that, because there is constant electricity in the West, people there are so busy "watching tv, internet and other electronic stuff", that they forget to procreate?

While people here that have little to no electricity have enough "break" to procreate and have more births.

Thus, making procreation an economically good thing?

Please clarify me.

Thanks
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 10:25pm On Sep 07, 2019
odimbannamdi:

I am finding it difficult comprehending this post, in relation to your earlier comment that too much electricity has its own disadvantages.

Are you implying that, because there is constant electricity in the West, people there are so busy "watching tv, internet and other electronic stuff", that they forget to procreate?

While people here that have little to no electricity have enough "break" to procreate and have more births.

Please clarify me.

Thanks

Yes. If u don’t procreate enough, soon there’d only be mostly old people left

10 countries at risk of becoming demographic time bombs

Peter Kotecki Aug 8, 2018, 9:52 AM ET

Demographers say countries need fertility rates of 2.2 children per woman to maintain a stable population, but many nations' birth rates, such as those of South Korea and the United States, have fallen below 2.

An increase in immigrant workers can help alleviate these trends, but immigration alone can't reverse a demographic time bomb if a significant number of citizens leave for employment in other countries.

Some places, such as the town of La Estrella in Spain, already reveal what a demographic time bomb can look like - a decreasing population, a large number of elderly people, and few children.

Here are some of the countries at risk of becoming demographic time bombs:

Spain has more deaths than births each year, and some towns are already nearly abandoned.

Spanish women tend to give birth later in life than most other European women, and Spaniards also live longer than anyone else in the European Union. On average, women in Spain have 1.5 children.

Although Spain's population increased in 2017 for the second straight year, the change was partly due to a rise in migrant arrivals, according to Reuters .

In Spain's northeastern Aragon region, one village already shows what a demographic time bomb can look like. The only remaining residents of La Estrella are two people in their 80s.

Last year, the Spanish government hired a special commissioner to determine how to reverse falling birth rates.

A rise in immigration to Italy has not helped the country steer clear of becoming a demographic time bomb.

A record-low 464,000 children were born in Italy last year, and the country's mean age has surpassed 45 for the first time ever.

The number of immigrants to Italy rose last year and the number of Italians leaving the country decreased, but neither trend is reversing Italy's path toward a demographic time bomb, according to The Local.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by temi4fash(m): 11:28pm On Sep 07, 2019
ahiboilandgas:

Is Burundi a better country than Nigeria
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by useni1: 9:39am On Oct 02, 2019
Thanks all and most especially timesup234 for authentic and verified info

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 9:42am On Oct 02, 2019
useni1:
Thanks all and most especially timesup234 for authentic and verified info
Always here to expose the lies of American prosperity

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Olominira(m): 5:38pm On Oct 18, 2019
odimbannamdi:

Please clarify me.

Thanks
You forgot to mention feminism and LGBT rubbish going on in the west. Many of these issues are actually very big problem for them. Yet, they are busy pushing these nonsense by force to Africa. In the next 50 years, many of them would know how far
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by tck2000(m): 1:56pm On Oct 22, 2019
[quote author=Olominira post=81791678]I have been to a number of countries around the world. The honest truth is that if Nigeria had achieved 24 hours electricity around 2006-2009, I'm talking of 10 years ago, nearly 80-90 percent of Nigerians would be better off than same figure in United States. As at 2019 43 million Americans are living in poverty.

Nigeria is a country with rich culture and people still believe in their heritage. The leaders are smart but lack of love for their fellow citizens, greediness for personal gains are the main problem. This does not include the leaders from first republic.

Now, this is the way forward to a better Nigeria. Firstly, Nigerian leaders must strengthen her justice system this includes police reform, military and others. The judiciary must be made strong, with that anyone committing crime would know that the law would take its course.

Secondly, provide stable electricity. Yes. Do not look at the west for solution. Focus on China, Japan and Russia if possible.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 6:31pm On Oct 22, 2019
tck2000:
I have been to a number of countries around the world. The honest truth is that if Nigeria had achieved 24 hours electricity around 2006-2009, I'm talking of 10 years ago, nearly 80-90 percent of Nigerians would be better off than same figure in United States. As at 2019 43 million Americans are living in poverty.

Nigeria is a country with rich culture and people still believe in their heritage. The leaders are smart but lack of love for their fellow citizens, greediness for personal gains are the main problem. This does not include the leaders from first republic.

Now, this is the way forward to a better Nigeria. Firstly, Nigerian leaders must strengthen her justice system this includes police reform, military and others. The judiciary must be made strong, with that anyone committing crime would know that the law would take its course.

Secondly, provide stable electricity. Yes. Do not look at the west for solution. Focus on China, Japan and Russia if possible.

So how are those Countries highlighted going to benefit Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by useni1: 6:44am On Nov 17, 2019
Just heard from a reliable source that timesup has been ban till 2022. Are we gonna have some peace now or is the ban an act of wickedness
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Asquare84(m): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2019
ahiboilandgas:

Why can't you apply for pre paid meter

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by aboutperf: 11:45am On Mar 21, 2022
Good day, I intend to relocate to Canada via the study route, pls I need suggestions about the masters course to study to get PR easily. Can I also apply to a college? Someone said I may be denied visa if I apply to a college. Thank you.
salford:

One's man's meat is another man's poison. I thank God for all my friends in the US. Most if not all travelled to the States on scholarships. They are all now doing well in their respective fields. They are doctors, pharmacists, scientists, engineers, technologists, nurses etc. They often try to convince me to move to the states. The US pays more for STEM than my current home (Canada) sometime double the wage, but I am content with my earnings here. Just as you have mentioned, my believe is that if an immigrants strives hard to educate themselves either by going for a PG degree in their new country or re-educate themselves in a STEM or IT field, they will find themselves moving up the ladder quickly to middle or upper middle class instead of getting stuck on survival jobs. Atleast the US gives you the opportunity to better yourself. In Nigeria, you will study a STEM course and still end up jobless.

Before I moved to Canada, people told me: oh you will wash toilets, you will stock shelves, you will work in deadend minimum wage jobs e.t.c. Even though I met immigrants working in deadend minimum wage job, that is their story not mine. Even with the minimum wage job, there is dignity in labour. One of my doctor friend worked minimum wage for 3 years as a carer, but now makes close to $300k per year. As for me, I am doing very well and working in a professional STEM field: bank akkant is smiling. I am glad I left Nigeria and grateful to God for the life I live here. It's been laughter all through.

Remember the story of Caleb and Joshua. Which report would you rather believe? Some saw giants while other see a land flowing with milk and honey.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

A Tale Of Abraka, Delta State; The Derelict University Town / Rider And Passengers Injured As Over Speeding Boy Rams Lexus Into Keke In Delta / Anambra Airport Is Ready, Waiting For NCAA Approval For Commercial Flights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.