Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48554 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 31, 2019
opebiboy:
even before i open this post I knew you were going to park here. You are a clown. But on the real Americans are not rich, they just enjoy a better standard than us. I have been there and it was very far from what I expected. But your views are always to the extreme

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things. He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 31, 2019
salford1:

Cos England did not work her does not mean it wont work for others. There are thousands of Nigerian professionals in England doing extremely well.
Absolutely! One woman, Only one woman, there are Thousands of Africans living in England, i didn't hear them complain. i bet she is still holding her British passport grin For when life becomes Unbearable in Gambia.

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by livebyday(m): 5:24pm On Aug 31, 2019
I won't bother to read the comments or the post as I am sure it has been made by a Democrat liberal whose aim is to discredit everything The 45th does (Trump)

Anyone who believes this or takes this literally well I sympathize

America is the greatest place to live and achieve your dreams

Let me explain.. aome like Mr Otedola the Nigerian billionaire will cry he is broke if his wealth falls to let's say $2 billion same with Dangote. If they cry they are broke to them it's the truth it's not false .

To a poor man in Nigeria this will be seen as a lie ... To say Americans struggle and dont live well is relative to their expectations

Not in any way can you compare Nigeria or African standards to what they have their in the USA

Remember when people get used to a standard they will.want more and complain if they can't get it

Cheers

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Angelfrost(m): 5:25pm On Aug 31, 2019
gly:

Bros why is the same economic policy not well structured to address the bolded. Let nobody deceive you they have their hills and valleys just like Naija. The only thing is this, their level of exposure is high!!! If not for the stupid politicians playing with our IQ, Nigeria would be preferred to the USA.

Exactly... Some of these immigrants are so myopic.

If Nigeria got it right in terms of leadership 20 years ago, would American embassy not have closed shop since...

Las las, y'all can't fake the real state of your finance forever... We shall all see.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by planetx: 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
Nothing like an American dream it is all a hoax. The term was originally meant for poor Europeans to come to America to get free Native Indian land and use African slave labor to build wealth in the 16th, 17th, 18th centuries before it was later repackaged and sold to third world immigrants.

7 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Topmaike007(m): 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
NONNYG:
Statistician, i wonder where you're getting all these figures fromgrin
lolz
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Originalsly: 5:27pm On Aug 31, 2019
NONNYG:

Statistician, i wonder where you're getting all these figures fromgrin

Don't you know all kind figures be in the air?.... you have a problem with the ones he picked?... couldn't you simply ask him to kindly put those back and choose different ones you may like?
Some people just like to stir trouble.... 78% of them... trouble makers.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things.
So you are judging America buy your so called majek fashek's standard? Is it not that individual i read that he is a Junkie, and was a junkie in America?

Come on! man! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2019
salford1:

Cos England did not work her does not mean it wont work for others. There are thousands of Nigerian professionals in England doing extremely well.
and what do you mean by doing well ? what is your definition of doing well

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things.

Have you travelled abroad before?!

cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by hermesprogidy(m): 5:30pm On Aug 31, 2019
98% of Americans cannot afford a $400 emergency. Am not joking.

9 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by lollybizzu(m): 5:30pm On Aug 31, 2019
Chill2:
Who cares about having plenty money in your bank account. Same reason why Africans dwell in corruption, everyone wants money to out shine the other. The essence of life is having access to what you need to be comfortable while alive. That is what the American society provides. It doesn't matter how much you have, no matter how much cash you have the end phase of life is death.
You said it all bro.
Well done.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by onwuakpachris(m): 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2019
Chill2:
Who cares about having plenty money in your bank account. Same reason why Africans dwell in corruption, everyone wants money to out shine the other. The essence of life is having access to what you need to be comfortable while alive. That is what the American society provides. It doesn't matter how much you have, no matter how much cash you have the end phase of life is death.
don't mind them...African mentality of money and more money before u can enjoy the simple pleasures of life like...cars..houses..healthcare...quality Education.. relaxation.. and vacation..yes Americans work their butts off but they have all the pleasures of life to show for it ...Nigerians that also work very hard what do they have to show for all their hardwork if not poverty...my uncle that is just a security guard in the U.S..comes back home with his family every Xmas spends like 2 months throwing money around..den goes back to d states with his work still waiting for him..which Nigerian middle class worker can afford that kind of vacation talk less of an ordinary security man?...lol u people r very funny 2 even think this nonsense...why won't u work shifts in the U.S..when there's so much job opportunities around coupled with a national minimum wage 4 every hour u work...so d more hours u work..d more d pay...lol again

14 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes far better with college students sleeping with sugar daddies to pay back their student loans?

https://www.businessinsider.com/seeking-arrangement-sugar-daddies-pay-sugar-babies-college-tuition-2017-11?IR=T

Yes far better with 62% of Americans one paycheck away from living on the street

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-are-one-paycheck-away-from-the-street-2016-01-06

Yes far better with people who have masters degrees still working till the age of 75 to be able to afford retirement and not die in debt

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/millennial-grad-retirement-age-is-75/

When next you come here to quote me just know you are talking to someone who knows the US. like the back of his hand. I have rendered so many people useless on this forum daring to engage me. The next time you quote me you will get a serious uppercut that will lead to spinal injury
wat i see here is gross misinformation.

I think u are comparing US with utopia and that is why its not so great in ur eyes. If u are comparing US with African countries then only about 2 or 3 African countries (syshelles, mouritious, botswana) will be better than it in SOME aspects.

Every thing u said here are societal issues that are everywhere in different ways.

Most africans will never own a car, go to good universities or drive a car in their life time because they dont have access to loans....the same loans u are trying to condemn here.

7 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
There notting wrong in buying a car on credit once their is the cash flow to support it ,There notting bad in mortgage once their is cash flow and jobs oppurnity to support it....paying cash for everthing is responsible for massive corruption and criminality in Nigeria .....imagine a person on a 200k salary hoping to build a house of 15m ....or buy a new car of 7m this recipe for disaster....

Not only that, u may rent that house or use that car for Uber which will be bringing in more money than money borrowed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Gbabe2: 5:34pm On Aug 31, 2019
It’s either you are mischievous or a deportee. I didn’t want to join this conversation initially but on a second thought, it’s good to educate you. America is 1M better than Nigeria. Did you say the car was financed? Which one is better, my dear? I have driven 2 brand new cars within a space of 6 years. I am talking about a brand new Camry 2014 and a brand new Corolla 2018. All financed and paid for within the duration. You want to live in a good house, you don’t have to go steal or rob masses before you live good. I don’t understand what you real mean? There is constant electricity; I can drive at 1 am if I like; I can access great health care service at will. And to crown it all, I don’t have to know Jagaban or Ameachi before having a good job. I am owing money seriously but I am glad at such. If I die and come back to this world, I will rather live in America than Nigeria. What is this one even talking about? Do you know what the unemployment rate is in Gods own country? Less than 4 percent�. The only caveat is that if you have a great job in Nigeria don’t be tempted to come live in America cos it’s beginning all over but if all you care about is good life and security, abeg, USA is the ELDORADO.

timesup234:
Give him seven years the toll will swallow him. He will completely forget his family exist. Na show off stage the man dey. Buy which big car? The car was finance and he wont complete the payment till 5-7yrs. He is likely going to default on the payment and the real owners will come pick up their car and garnish his credit score

13 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sweetmelanin(f): 5:37pm On Aug 31, 2019
Angelfrost:

I have a lot of close friends there, and you said it all...

What's up with a society where wealth is actually a mirage?... You basically pay for everything to the point that you have no real retirement. The day you stop working, you are in trouble.

People graduate from school, and 6 years after, they are still repaying student loans... You are simply enslaved to a parasitic system.

At least they have jobs to pay off their loans. In Nigeria the average youth is jobless & the degree they worked so hard to achieve is rendered useless.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2019
HBB1:

Have you travelled abroad before?!

cheesy

You are asking me? Apart from infrastructure, well planned and neat environment and good working conditions, a Nigerian working with International Organization in Nigeria lives better than when he is working with the same organization abroad.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sweetmelanin(f): 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2019
Gbabe2:
It’s either you are mischievous or a deportee. I didn’t want to join this conversation initially but on a second thought, it’s good to educate you. America is 1M better than Nigeria. Did you say the car was financed? Which one is better, my dear? I have driven 2 brand new cars within a space of 6 years. I am talking about a brand new Camry 2014 and a brand new Corolla 2018. All financed and paid for within the duration. You want to live in a good house, you don’t have to go steal or rob masses before you live good. I don’t understand what you real mean? There is constant electricity; I can drive at 1 am if I like; I can access great health care service at will. And to crown it all, I don’t have to know Jagaban or Ameachi before having a good job. I am owing money seriously but I am glad at such. If I die and come back to this world, I will rather live in America than Nigeria. What is this one even talking about? Do you know what the unemployment rate is in Gods own country? Less than 4 percent�. The only caveat is that if you have a great job in Nigeria don’t be tempted to come live in America cos it’s beginning all over but if all you care about is good life and security, abeg, USA is the ELDORADO.

School the child abeg. timesup234 needs complete re-orientation
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by gly(m): 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2019
Angelfrost:

Exactly... Some of these immigrants are so myopic.

If Nigeria got it right in terms of leadership 20 years ago, would American embassy not have closed shop since...

Las las, y'all can't fake the real state of your finance forever... We shall all see.

Thanks for this reality. Imagine we getting it right 20 years ago!!! ...food for thought
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by liberalchick(f): 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2019
Brilliant! Those that make the ‘cash in hand’ argument are being simplistic.

shine12:
I use to have a cash at hand mentality. While I agree that too much debt is bad for an individual and that the financial companies in the western world are almost operating at usury level now and very greedy at the same time how do you expect a drop-out bus driver to buy a house, a family car, pay for car insurance with cash at hand. Its through credit.
In the western world, the jobs that are frowned upon in Africa like a bus driver can guarantee a mortgage and the bus driver can even own a house and a family car through credit.
Credit is nothing but borrowing from your expected future earnings. The buy with cash at hand mentality doesn't mean anything. In fact credit drives growth. The reason why we don't have as much infrastructural development in Africa is that FDI credit is not coming our way.

A large nation cannot move to middle income or high income status without credit to coming from consumer spending.

Hypothetical Question:
If you have £100,000 at hand and you can invest it and net a 10% yield yearly or rather buy a house and pay 2% interest on the loan. Do you buy with the "cash" or invest your money and pay the credit interest from your investment income and be left with 8%.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2019
Kennydoc:

You're extremely ignorant. I don't know if you've lived in America before, but you lack knowledge of what you're talking about. You're just quoting useless figures up and down without sitting down and doing a little calculation.

What is the cost of a used 2005 Toyota Corolla in America? Let's say about $4k. For a minimum wage earner in the US who works only 40 hours per week, it will take him about 4-5 months to buy the car with his whole salary.
In Nigeria, the same car probably costs about ₦1-1.4m. It will take a minimum wage earner in Nigeria about 3 years to buy the same car if he's to save up all his salary.

Americans and people from other developed world live on credit because they acquire the best quality (often newest) products. Some of them can't afford such if you ask them to pay cash, but their counterparts in Nigeria can't even dream of them in the first place.
A brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 is around $1k. An average US worker can afford to buy the phone with one salary and still have enough change to sort out his rent and other stuff. How many average Nigerian workers can afford to buy a phone of about 360k from one salary? Absolutely NONE! The credit system in the western world means they don't have to pay for everything cash, but can pay in bits over some years still leaving enough cash to sort out other pressing needs.

In terms of housing, the quality of residential houses in Nigeria that can remotely be compared to the average American or European houses are probably the houses in high brow areas in Abuja, Lagos and other big cities in Nigeria. How many average Nigerian workers can afford to live there? Even junior doctors who work in government hospitals in Nigeria can't afford to rent 3 bedroom flats in Maitama, Wuse, Asokoro etc, yet these are some of the top 20% highest earning Nigerian workers.

The fact is that compared to the quality of life in the developed world, many Nigerians are not even living.
You are next to receive a severe uppercut from me. Get ready to visit the ER once I am done here with work. Then of course I made over 35k today. 5k will be for your treatment. Your jaw will be shifted
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2019
sweetmelanin:

Oh lawd! Not this guy again lipsrsealed

I would rather pay monthly to drive the latest car in comfort than outrightly own a piece of 2001 junk that most people drive in Nigeria.
h

The guy must be a fool, 1 guy has no car, another has a car but is paying monthly, can you pay monthly if you have no job? Would he rather standing at bus stop waiting for smoking derelict BRT bus because he doesnt have cash to buy a car outright? Will the car say because you are paying monthly i will only take you halfway? If you have no job will you ever be able to pay cash for a car? Where is the job in Nigeria to pay cash? And by the way, many Bank and Oil company workers actually borrowed to buy their cars here too the money deducted from frie monthly salaries.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by katlord(m): 5:42pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes everyone would love to live there until they get there and find out it is a mirage. The biggest shame will be leaving there without achieving anything. That's the shame over one million Nigerians are living with in America. They can't come back because they are stuck. If you ask Americans to pay cash for their cars 99% of them won't be able to afford it. Americans are broke and miserable and 95% of them will die in debt. If in 2019 Nigerians don't know an average Nigerian is richer than a middle class American then they are the dumbest donkey on earth

Hmmmm
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 5:43pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

Well , I don't know how old most of the people reading this posting were when Majek Fashek as the rave of the moment in the 90s traveled to New York. When he got there he became disappointed that on returning to Nigeria, he released a record "Majek Fashek in New York". That record said so many things. He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.
Majek fashek got into doing drugs. I won't be suprised that some of his band members that stayed back and did not venture into drugs are doing well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by ahiboilandgas: 5:43pm On Aug 31, 2019
How can you compare an abnormal society like Nigeria to American,a place where university gradutes mainly get jobs via connection (firs cbn etc ) where human live like vampires (ijora ,ajegule etc)...no ambulance service or 911 ,dead fire service ,corrupt police ,everstricking lecturers kidnapping this is no where near an ideal society

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
gypsey:
So you are judging America buy your so called majek fashek's standard? Is it not that individual i read that he is a Junkie, and was a junkie in America?

Come on! man! grin

He said before he travelled, he thought America is Paradise on Earth but on getting there what he saw was confusion, beggars and so many things. Having released that record he should not have gone back again, that was the mistake that ruined him.

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sweetmelanin(f): 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2019
orunmila144:
you will rather pay monthly ? gtfoh. to pay nepa bill is a herculean task for you nigerians but we are expected to believe that you will gladly pay monthly for a car ? to pay your nepa bills you guys beat up nepa officials or bribe them to go away. we are supposed to believe you can survive the american system ? half of the nigerians who go to america end up having mental illness because they find out they cant get away with not paying their bills. thats why many nigerian men go mad in america and start killing their wives. the truth of the matter is that america is a very hard place to live in. it is not for the faint hearted. many nigerians have mental illness in america

What are you saying for goodness sake. I am not based in Nigeria neither am I in America. Why did you quote me?
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Gbabe2: 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2019
There is American dream Oga. Once you can fulfill your dreams in America, that’s d dream. I don’t understand the basis of comparison sef? It’s like some folks just want to spew trash. How can hungry people be dolling out AIDS to Africa? US government Department of Defense budget alone is over 750BILLION dollars this year. That’s just one agency. Our total budget for 2019is not up to 30 billion dollars which is not even up to the budget of the State of Maryland. Google is our friend, we should not be lazy youth.

planetx:
Nothing like an American dream it is all a hoax. The term was originally meant for poor Europeans to come to America to get free Indian land and get African slave labor to build wealth in the 16th, 17th, 18th centuries before it was later repackaged and sold to third world immigrants.

6 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
Yes everyone would love to live there until they get there and find out it is a mirage. The biggest shame will be leaving there without achieving anything. That's the shame over one million Nigerians are living with in America. They can't come back because they are stuck. If you ask Americans to pay cash for their cars 99% of them won't be able to afford it. Americans are broke and miserable and 95% of them will die in debt. If in 2019 Nigerians don't know an average Nigerian is richer than a middle class American then they are the dumbest donkey on earth

what a foolish statement!

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by sweetmelanin(f): 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2019
timesup234:
now i am gonna make you cry. Everything i wrote there is 100% fact. The American dream never existed. It is the greatest fraud sold to poor people worldwide. When you get to America you will prefer Sudan

With this statement I am more than convinced you were refused American visa and never quite recovered from the trauma.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2019
babaolofin:

You are asking me? Apart from infrastructure, well planned and neat environment and good working conditions, a Nigerian working with International Organization in Nigeria lives better than when he is working with the same organization abroad.

Hehehe!

So a Nigerian has to be working for and international organization to live a quality life?

How many Nigerians have such an opportunity?

You know nothing!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Ghana's Newly Built Airport Flooded / My Weird & Creepy Experience At Erin Ijesha Waterfalls / Dangote Truck Collides With Bus In Kogi, 13 People Burnt - Graphic Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.