Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,373 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:23 PM

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty One) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / White Man In Town (chapter Twenty One) (267 Views)

The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie / White Man In Town / The Woman Caught Breastfeeding Man In Prison. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Man In Town (chapter Twenty One) by DODO005: 11:57am On Sep 01, 2019
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Among the various characters that hang out around the Mercury Hotel, was a frail looking middle aged man in his early fifties. Everyone around knew him simply as Chambers. A drunk and shrewd looking chap always dressed in his trademark tattered old coat and old pairs of brown sandals. He had a long neck and the face of a weather beaten struggler who had since gave up hope of ever making any real money on his own. So, instead, had resolved to occasionally hang around the Mercury, and search for any sucker who might take pity or likeness on his frail shape and kindly part with anything to help satisfy his insatiable wet appetite for alcohol. Chambers had been hanging around the Mercury as long as any old staff or lodger could remember. He was part of the Mercury, and the Mercury was part of him.
It is said that any news or happening that is worth knowing around and within the Mercury, if not known by Chambers, then is not worth knowing. Though, years of hard drinking had mimed him and bloated his hitherto good look, slim frame and any other handsomeness he once floated, but this notwithstanding, the old drunk still had his usefulness to those who knows his worth and occasionally needed his encyclopedic memory.

And on this particular Friday, after few days of not been around the popular hotel, just few minutes before twelve, the usual check-out time of most guests at the hotel, Chambers as usual was seated in his regular position at the car park, waiting patiently for his next prey. His drunk eyes searched prudently for a easy sucker to bounce on when he suddenly noticed a large entourage of porters rolling out some rich looking luggage and other expensive items towards the three posh cars he had secretly been laying siege on, not wanting to arouse the suspicious of the two guys behind the wheels of two of the cars, a brown infinity FX 35, and a black Range Rover. He had actually noticed that the third car, a navy blue Avalanche was empty, or so he had first assumed, before he curiously ventured towards the stylish car. But the bloodshot eyes of the two fierce looking dogs behind the backseat had sent down a cold shiver through his frail body.
Chambers almost banged his head on the concrete slap nearby when he stumbled backward frightfully and landed on his back. The two guys behind the wheels of the other cars noticed what happened and both busted into long hysterical laugh. Chambers had quickly collected himself and darted away faster than his two old legs could transmit him. He finally paused beside one of the big trees around, far from the dogs, but visible enough for him to mount his one man sentry, certain that whoever owns the car and the two beasts behind the seats must be a rich man. This could actually be his lunch ticket, and probably with extra cash to enjoy some chilled bottle of beer. He calculated silently as is hungry eyes scanned through the luggage and the porters, then he patiently waited for his prey, and luckily for him his rich looking prey reflexively walked into his trap.

Chambers wore a pathetic display on his face and then slipped out quietly from his hiding place and confidently confronted the rich looking entourage. His sharp eyes quickly noted four richly dressed men and a glamorous looking woman behind the group of porters as they headed grandly towards the three posh cars. He noted with satisfaction as the two guys behind the wheels of the Infinity and Touareg hurriedly stepped out of their respective cars and held the doors wide opened for the entourage as they approached. His drunken eyes roved around the approaching group and quickly picked out the lead figure of one of the men in expensive blue brocade who seem to be the leader of the group. He was busy making a call on his mobile phone. Long years of experience had thought Chambers how to sieve out a rich visitor among a bunch of guests. The man in blue brocade had that graceful walk of a confident self-made man. A familiar figure, Chambers could not immediately place where he had seen him before. However, his doubt was confirmed when the man suddenly paused on his strides and stared surprisingly at the approaching Chambers, and then their eyes locked. There was a sudden break in their movement as the group all paused to watch the unfolding drama. The two drivers besides the cars rushed forward to fend off the perplexed looking Chambers, but to their surprised the man in blue brocade known in the underworld as ‘Smoke’ waved them away with a wide smile.

“Leave him.” He commanded, and then turned back to Chambers with a smile. “Chamberlain…” He called out his full name and reach out with his hands happily.

Chambers still looking dazed stared foolishly at him as spasm of recognition suddenly hit him. He stared unbelievable at the rich looking figure beside him, and then suddenly released a toothless smile, his two lost molars exposing their empty space.

“Owo-blow! The only smoke on fire…” He announced excitedly with a proud tone, and then embraced Smoke with a warm grace. “Ha! Baba re-re! Son of the soil. The only smoke that never dies”
Chambers continued his praise proudly, and gyrated around happily to admire his rich looking old friend.

“Chambers the Chambers- the only man with a thousand ears around; where have you been my old friend? Smoke asked and then pumped his skinny hands as the others gazed surprisingly at them.

“ I have been across and around my good friend. It has not really been easy. But I still dey push on every day,” Chambers responded with his pathetic look. “Honestly, I no believe say na you I dey see with my korokoro eyes after a long time.” He continued excitedly.

“ Yes, e don tey my friend. Since that night wey you safe me from that police wahala, Na only God know wetin for happen if no be you. Thanks a million my friend.” Smoke said still holding to his frail hand.

“That one na past issue. Wetin we be friend for. What about all the good –good things wey you don do for me, make I cry?” Chambers interjected with a wave of his hand.

“ No, not at all, no need for that. But come, true, where you go hide yourself all these days, I don look for you tire since I land town. Everybody I ask, go say them no know where you dey. Some even say you don leave town.” Smoke told him with his charismatic smile.

“ No mind those bad belle people. No be me you dey see so. I dey, only say I no too dey come this place like before. Abuja no easy like before my friend. All these government people and the politicians with their families don take over the city. Dem don drive poor people like us go inside bush. Na only God go fight dem for us.” Chambers told him with an angry laden voice.

“ No worry my friend, God dey always protect and provide for the weak. Take this…” Smoke consoled him and dipped his hand into his pocket. He quietly extracted ten crispy notes, and clapped his palm on Chamber’s outreached hands. “Manage this old friend. I go see you proper when dusts settle down.” He told him with an apologetic voice, and then smiled broadly at him.

Chambers stared at the notes in his hands, and did a double take. His drunken eyes suddenly became sober as he stared unbelievably at what he saw in his hand. The ten crispy notes looked strange to his eyes; but at the same time had a familiar aura. Definitely these were not the normal money he was accustomed to, but the feel of the notes all the same gave him an excited and confident surge. In actual sense, the notes were one thousand dollar bills, in hundred denominations. The ten notes quickly disappeared into one of Chamber’s pockets, and he raised his two hands up in a thankful gesture to heaven before doing a gyrated dance around his friend, his drunken eyes wore one of the happiest looks in his life.

“ May your days be ever long. May your flame keep burning in peace” He chanted loudly with a happy smirk all over his face.
Smoke, a satisfied smile on his face nodded at the gyrating Chambers, then turned and continued towards the car park with his bewildered group trailing after him.

“Stay happy and enjoy yourself, my good friend.” He called out loudly to the excited Chambers as the porters loaded their luggage into their cars.

The smile and excitement on the faces of the porters could be assumed to be one of the most excited smiles on the faces of those at the Mercury that day as Smoke dipped his hand into his caftan pocket, and tipped them each with a hundred dollar note. He then climbed into the Avalanche with Lizzy beside him on the passenger seat and a smiling looking Skinny on the back seat.

“Choose your choice, Bros.” Victor announced indicating the Range Rover and the Tourage to John Bull who was still contemplating which of the cars to join. And to his relief John Bull suddenly smiled up at him and then jumped into the Tourage. Victor gave him a sly grin, and climbed into the Range Rover and fastened his seat belt beside the driver.

“ Big man – Big car.” He announced smiling up at the driver.

“ Yes, Big car, big wahala.” The driver replied, ignited his engine, and then trailed after the other cars towards the gate.

Victor scanned the music box and the music of 9Nice/ 2Face ‘Street Credibility’ filtered out smoothly from the inbuilt Pioneers speakers inside the luxury car. He smiled thoughtfully, lit a cigarette, dragged on the butt and exhaled the smoke happily. He then smiled up broadly at the driver.

“ Wahala no dey kill man…he dey only teach am lesson. Carry go, my friend…Tinapa here we come”

wwwokadabooks.com cheesy
www.amazon.com

(1) (Reply)

Meet A Poet. / Candy Stone Island 1 / My Haunting Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.