Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics (2749 Views)

Which Of These Brands Of Coca-cola Did You Drink? Years. / Coca-Cola Nigeria Launches ‘mama’, The Affordable 1 litre Pet Bottle Of Coke / Coca-Cola Launches First Alcoholic Drink (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Antoeni(m): 1:06pm On Sep 01, 2019
Coca-Cola is probably the most recognizable drink in the world, with the curvy trademark bottles filled with the famous dark liquid daily reaching every corner of the planet. According to the company’s website, The Coca-Cola Company is the world’s largest beverage company with an operational reach of more than 200 countries and 1.9 billion servings of products each day.
The soft drink gained in popularity over the years and has slowly become a global icon like no other. But despite its status and sustained success, the company spends millions and millions of dollars on advertising and innovations that have clearly helped significantly in establishing Coca-Cola as one of the most recognizable brands in the world. Additionally, thanks to the company’s Christmas advertising and its influence on the holiday season, Coca-Cola has become largely associated with Christmas. Over the decades, the company has produced some of the world’s most established Christmas print advertisements and TV commercials.

The Coca-Cola Company is a clear example of unhindered globalism, employing over 100,000 people worldwide, and it is certainly among the most successful companies that have ever existed. However, the company’s origin story has a tragic aspect.
The famous drink was invented by John Pemberton, a pharmacist who fought in the Civil War as a soldier of the Confederate army. In April 1865, Pemberton fought in the Battle of Columbus, which is by many regarded as the last battle of the Civil War. He sustained a near-fatal saber wound to the chest and had to use morphine as a painkiller for an extensive period of time; he soon developed a crippling morphine addiction.

Pemberton decided to use his pharmaceutical skills to develop a cure for his morphine addiction, so he started experimenting with various plants, including coca. In 1866, only a year after the Battle of Columbus, he started selling an alcoholic drink named “Pemberton’s French Wine Coca.” He produced the drink in his private pharmacy, Pemberton’s Eagle and Drug House.
The drink was advertised as a painkiller, an anti-depressant, and an aphrodisiac, and it soon gained considerable popularity.

However, in 1886 Atlanta County enacted temperance legislation, which meant that the residents of the county were prohibited from producing, buying, or selling alcohol. This greatly affected Pemberton’s enterprise, and he was forced to turn his drink into a non-alcoholic beverage.
He registered the Coca-Cola Company and perfected his famous secret recipe with the help of his longtime friend Willis E. Venable. The two initially intended to advertise the drink as a medicine, but they accidentally blended the base syrup with carbonated water and decided to advertise the drink as a refreshing soda.
Although Pemberton predicted that Coca-Cola would one day become a “national drink,” the beverage initially wasn’t very popular, and Pemberton started selling his rights to the recipe to his business partners in Atlanta. His major problem was that the drink didn’t cure his morphine addiction, and his health began to deteriorate pretty rapidly.
Morphine was an expensive substance, and Pemberton spent vast amounts of money to satisfy his cravings. He died of stomach cancer in 1888, terminally ill and practically penniless.

Read another story from us: The World of Coca-Cola: A museum dedicated entirely to the world’s most popular soft drink

Still, Pemberton intended to leave a considerable share of his company to his son, who was also named Charles Pemberton. Unfortunately for the future generations of the Pemberton family, Charles Pemberton the younger decided to sell his shares of the Coca-Cola Company, as he was a morphine addict himself. He died only six years after his father and never witnessed the immense popularity of Coca-Cola.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/02/22/john-pemberton/

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Larryfest(m): 1:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
He gave the world something to remember him of....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by 1stKing: 1:21pm On Sep 01, 2019
The argument that drugs isn't bad still stands positively here.
Circumstances leads to discovery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by cassidy1996(m): 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2019
the drink dey hungry me now

where i go see coke buy this Sunday afternoon?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 01, 2019
cassidy1996:
the drink dey hungry me now

where i go see coke buy this Sunday afternoon?
Go icm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by daddytime(m): 1:39pm On Sep 01, 2019
Such a touching story.

Too bad his lineage are not here to reap the fruits of his creation.
Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Amazingman(m): 1:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
Such a world. Well our leader is also leaving us something to remember him for, poverty and hardship.

Remember I did not mention any name pls
Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by drips8(m): 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2019
For him to have fought with the confederate army shows that he could have been a racist as the south was the part of America where slavery took place and the southerners wanted to create their own country so as to continue the practice of slavery which lead to the American Civil war.

PS. Coca Cola didn't sell their products to black people at first, it was Pepsi.

2 Likes

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by abumeinben(m): 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2019
Dear OP, no everyone cares about penny. They just want to see smile in everyone's face. That's their penny.

The man that made Electricity Transmission with Alternating current, Nikolai Tesla, over long distances died "penniless". That's why they can generate electricity in faraway Kainji Dam and transmit and distribute to you on Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by GOFRONT(m): 3:11pm On Sep 01, 2019
cool

Non of our Politicians has ever died Penniless....

1 Like

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2019
I think I've read this about a million times but it's cool, OP. At least for the sake of those who aren't privy to this piece of info.

I call FP.
Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2019
drips8:
For him to have fought with the confederate army shows that he could have been a racist as the south was the part of America where slavery took place and the southerners wanted to create their own country so as to continue the practice of slavery which lead to the American Civil war.

PS. Coca Cola didn't sell their products to black people at first, it was Pepsi.

You know the bad or sad part about history? It is the fact that the victor always gets to write it 99% of the time- I didn't come up with that myself. The great Napoléon Bonaparte{or Winston Churchill, as some say} did.

What many don't really take into account most of the time is the fact that both the Confederates and Union Forces were racists. Even the hero, Abraham Lincoln{don't be deceived by the whole negro emancipation saga}, was just as racist as Jefferson Davis or even General Robert Lee. I have come to realize over the years that the American Civil war was just a mere power tussle between the North and the South. The issue of slavery and the slaves themselves were pawns in a power game.

For instance, did you know that Lincoln believed just like other men of his time that the blacks had no real place in the US? Like, he didn't even believe that the negro could co-exist as equals in the USA with the whites. He strongly believed that one race was greater than the other. Now that was the Commander-in-chief of the Union forces.

Let's not even begin to talk about how the black soldiers were treated by their white counterparts in the Union Army during the war- salary and otherwise.
Those guys were usually not allowed to serve in the same unit as the white soldiers.

But since the Union forces won the war they were able to write history in a way that made them look less racist than the Confederates whereas both of them were just as racist as racist can be.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 01, 2019
GOFRONT:
cool

Non of our Politicians has ever died Penniless....

Much as I cringe at the corrupt tendencies of the vast majority of the political class, you can't safely say "none died penniless". On the strength of that, I classify this argument or position of yours a hasty generalization.

Critical Thinking 101. smiley
Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 01, 2019
I think it was asa Candler owned coca cola company. He bought it as a beverage recipe from pembeton and that time it was not known as Coca-Cola brand. He just sold the recipe to him then he invested heavily in it.

Re: The Inventor Of Coca-cola Was A Drug Addict Who Died Penniless.see Pics by Holmes07(m): 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2019
1stKing:
The argument that drugs isn't bad still stands positively here.
Circumstances leads to discovery
Drug isn't bad when taken under medical guidance, it is bad when it is abuse. God gave us weed for our medical benefit abusing them is a taboo.

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of The Human Being I Killed Early This Mourning / Where Can I Get Bulk Powder Milk In Lagos / See Why You Should Be Careful When Buying Food From A Restaurant. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.