Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,490 members, 7,793,492 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Why Sleeping For 8 Hours Is Misleading! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Sleeping For 8 Hours Is Misleading! (291 Views)

Sleeping For More Than Eight Hours A Night Could Lead To An Early Death, New Res / Ernest Izevbigie Sues Nigerian Breweries For Misleading People About Malt Drink / World Sleep Day 2018: When Last Did You Sleep For 7 To 8 Hours At Night? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Sleeping For 8 Hours Is Misleading! by DJurry(m): 3:04pm On Sep 03, 2019
RED Hub™ | #SleepFitSeries | Introduction

For the umpteenth time, the phone alarm screamed at the top of its voice, in the dimly-lit room, which made Stephen let out a groan like a child deprived of his favorite toy!

With his eyes still shut, he groped around the bed for the device so he'll hit the snooze button, once again. Having found it, he opened his eyes which met the time displayed on the phone screen. It read 6.30am. He sprang up from the bed and wobbled quickly to the bathroom!

The matter began yesterday, when a newly-assigned but ruthless manager had given him a mountain of paperwork to finish and submit directly to him by 7am, the following day. Though Stephen was yet to complete the task, he just had to retire at about 6pm, out of sheer exhaustion!

"I'll finish this when I get home", he assured himself as he trotted past the large office gate, with the briefcase in his left hand.

Arriving at his abode, at about 8pm, Thelma gave him a warm hug while his little son, playfully tugged his left leg.

"Not tonight, Jason", he glanced down and sternly told him before giving his wife that usual look that suggests a busy night for him. "I'll bring dinner to your bedroom, dear", she said.

An hour later, after cleaning up and having a sumptuous meal, paperwork resumed in earnest, in his room, during which he meticulously dotted the "i"s and crossed the "t"s.

By 2am, he gave a sigh of relief! He carefully put the ready documents into the briefcase. Then he rose from his work chair and walked languidly to the bed, on which he fell like a log of wood. Within minutes, he was fast asleep.

"Gosh! I am late!", he muttered as his soapy hand glove zigzagged his body. After dressing up, he walked out of the room and towards the direction of the aroma, Thelma was cooking up, in the kitchen.

"Honey, sorry I can't wait for breakfast. See you and Jason when I return", he said with his hands wrapped around her from behind. "It's alright, dear. I'll explain to Jason when he wakes up", she replied.

Stephen arrived at his workplace, at 7.30am. Though he was glad about the light traffic on the way, the feeling was overridden with worry as he walked into the lobby where he saw the receptionist.

"Good morning to you, Friday", he said. "Has the manager arrived?", he quickly asked. "No, he hasn't, Sir", Friday replied.

Now relaxed, Stephen walked slowly into his office. His head was foggy and body, weak. "Let me rest a bit, before he comes", he muttered.

His rest seemed endless until it was cut short by repetitive taps on his hand and calls of his name. Slowly raising his head, his heavy eyes caught sight his boss, right in front of him, giving a quizzical look that sent cold chills down his spine!

"In Jesus' name, I pray", Stephen uttered to cover up what he was doing. He could only imagine what was going on in his Ogah's mind, as he stood there.

Sleep is a state of reduced consciousness that all humans get into on a regular basis for good reason. It is the time your body dedicates to doing something crucial, which it cannot do while you are awake!

Sleep is non-negotiable. However, we are the only mammals that can willingly delay or prolong sleep!

In our time, what's popular is the 8-Hour Rule in which we are told that we need about 8 hours of sleep, per night, to be and stay healthy. Though not far from the truth, it hides something more important!

From my studies, during and after Medical School, I got to realize that it's not how long you sleep that matters but when you sleep and when you wake up!

Stephen is a typical example of a Poor Sleeper. However, he is not so because he slept for less than 8 hours but because he worked when he should be sleeping and slept when he should be working!

If you sleep and wake up at the wrong times, for a stretch of weeks or even few days, though it be about 8 hours, you'd begin to experience its unhealthy consequences which affect the quality of your life and can cut short your lifespan!

Each day of Poor Sleep, which really is about working and sleeping at the wrong times, takes you closer to the grave!

In subsequent posts to my inner circle readers, I'll dive into the numerous consequences of poor sleep you need to know about as well as when you ought to sleep and wake up!

To not miss out on this valuable series aa well as exclusive health updates, do join the Waiting List on WhatsApp! You'll also be welcomed with an insightful 11-page eBook about your body that will blow your mind!

To join us, check the link in the signature box, below!

Adopt The Lifestyle!

(1) (Reply)

How To Achieve Orgasm Naturally As A Woman. / Benefits Of Mangoes Leaves / Stash Or Trash: Does Africa Have A Taste For The World’s E-waste?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.