Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,085 members, 7,807,244 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) (41565 Views)

Maryam Babangida And Princess Diana At The Tafawa Balewa Square (Throwback Photo / PDP Campaigns In Tafawa Balewa LGA, Bauchi (Photos) / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Welcomed In America In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by folarr(m): 9:02am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:
Nigerians are dying both home and abroad yet our president couldn't even say anything about these attacks.

If you voted buhari during the elections, read this well.

It will never be well with you and your family.
can you not say this please?

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by ntyce(m): 9:02am On Sep 04, 2019
Growing up in Abeokuta we had lots of South African neighbors, some were students of University of Ibadan, most were authors....
When Mandela was released, the whole neighborhood was ecstatic, we all sang Nkosi sikeleli Africa.....
Thinking, they will in turn treat as this bad is really pathetic....

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by mamajj17(f): 9:02am On Sep 04, 2019
Gartol:
Ungrateful bastards

Blacks generally has no LOVE lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by anonimi: 9:04am On Sep 04, 2019
tamonokare:
The good old days.

.......that sowed the seeds of discord and trouble that we are dealing with today
It is time to undo what Lugard and his mistress did in 1914.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by iwantolive: 9:05am On Sep 04, 2019
Didijiji:
Compare the old school and the supposed modern school below

embarassed
Deno has won my heart today with this savage reply...

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Didijiji: 9:11am On Sep 04, 2019
iwantolive:
Deno has won my heart today with this savage reply...
exactly
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by drizslim(m): 9:11am On Sep 04, 2019
fadamekus:

KEEP DREAMING BUT THE EARLYER YOU WAKE UP FROM YOUR DREAM THE EARLYER THE BETTER
no dey show ur shallow mind anyhow niqqa.. Grow some sense, drink water & be optimistic.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by NFarms: 9:15am On Sep 04, 2019
Immabong:
GIVEAWAY FOR PARENTS:

Dear parents, download either;

1. Tynker.

2. Hopscotch app.

3. Scratch.

4. Microsoft TouchDevelop.

5. Blockly.

6. Alice.

For your children, so they can learn the basics of programming through games and puzzles.

I'm checking these out

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by maxjax(m): 9:17am On Sep 04, 2019
Damn right Amaru said it ALL
drizslim:
One day, Nigeria will be GREAT Again.. Say No to Xenophobia, Afrophobia, No to Anarchy, Chaos, Murder. GOD help us all.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:21am On Sep 04, 2019
And they are hurting our brothers, ogun kill them
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Wanity(m): 9:28am On Sep 04, 2019
For the past four years now I have not seen 5 naira note with my eyes
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Sonsly041(m): 9:30am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:
Nigerians are dying both home and abroad yet our president couldn't even say anything about these attacks.

he is quiet because fulani cows and the northerners are not affected.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by AnanseK(m): 9:34am On Sep 04, 2019
Rapmoney:
Tafawa Balewa was a tribalist!

Can you elaborate or is it the weed talking?

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Rapmoney(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2019
AnanseK:

Can you elaborate or is it the weed talking?
Go and sit somewhere!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Sokifazt: 9:37am On Sep 04, 2019
K
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by AnanseK(m): 9:38am On Sep 04, 2019
Wanity:

Really?
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by AnanseK(m): 9:39am On Sep 04, 2019
Wanity:

So the cashless policy of the government is working. Sai Baba!

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Rapmoney(m): 9:40am On Sep 04, 2019
ednut1:
Moral of the story. Do not help people. African countries have shown they need to be colonized till eternity
Yes, including the one ruled by your lord, the kunu-drinking and gworo-chewing dullar.d in aso rock!

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by emmaoyes(m): 9:50am On Sep 04, 2019
Raymondreigns:
I didn't read the story because I was in a hurry to be FTC so bros wey dey up ..well done..
Anyways let's I have nothing to say because I Neva expected it

FTC indeed, Lol
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by ThatFairGuy: 10:04am On Sep 04, 2019
Lousy idiot. I voted PMB and it shall be well with me and my family. Use your head
[s]
KushyKush:

[/s]
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by naijanewsgist: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2019
Xenophobia: Presidents Paul Kagame, Felix Tshisekedi and Peter Mutharika withdraw from World Economic Forum holding in South Africa

Read through the below link

https://www.naijanewsgist.com/news/xenophobia-presidents-paul-kagame/
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Gazzy88(m): 10:23am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:

If its already well with you and your family, you won't type this rubbish by this time of the day.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Eteka1(m): 10:25am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:

You are nothing but a fool. The Government has condemned the attacks, summoned the South African High Commissioner in Nigeria to register a protest and has also sent a Special Envoy to South Africa. The matter is being handled at that level, do you want the President to start screaming like a mad man on the streets?
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by grandstar(m): 10:47am On Sep 04, 2019
$5m in those days was freaking large! That's no small sum!

I just googled it. That's $42m in today's money
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by eikechukwu8(m): 10:51am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:

haaaaaaaaaa! Amen oooooooo
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by eikechukwu8(m): 10:55am On Sep 04, 2019
grin
ThatFairGuy:
Lousy idiot. I voted PMB and it shall be well with me and my family. Use your head
[s][/s]
grin
ThatFairGuy:
[s][/s]
E pain am
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by mrLhanray(m): 10:59am On Sep 04, 2019
KushyKush:

he is the worst Nigerian President ever, he is not moved by the constant killings of Nigerians both home and abroad. he has deeply divided Nigeria along Ethnic and religious lines... Yet some people condemned a protest against all these incompetence from our executives and lawmaker
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by 9jaRealist: 11:25am On Sep 04, 2019
ntyce:
Growing up in Abeokuta we had lots of South African neighbors, some were students of University of Ibadan, most were authors....
When Mandela was released, the whole neighborhood was ecstatic, we all sang Nkosi sikeleli Africa.....
Thinking, they will in turn treat as this bad is really pathetic....
garetz:
All African countries contributed in liberating black south Africans from apartheid but if they had known they were fighting for a group of Savage animals, they would have just allowed the whites to continue caging and taming the wild beasts

In fact, Nigeria did economic harm to itself in the course of Africa’s COLLECTIVE struggle for South African liberation - expelling/nationalizing UK and US businesses in Nigeria (Barclays, Standard, Chase, BP, Esso, etc.), blocking direct investment into a Nigeria by several Western companies doing business in Apartheid South Africa, and refusing to sell crude oil to or trade with nations deemed friendly with the Apartheid regime. All of these had a long-lasting (and some would argue, probably still has a) residual effect on the Nigerian economy.

This was in addition to military and non-military support for the ANC and other freedom fighters, material support in form of cash and supplies (including the Southern African Relief Fund, which mandated the deduction of a certain percentage of the wages/earnings of every working Nigerian towards the acquisition/distribution of relief material/supplies to South African exiles), educational and capacity-building support in the form of university scholarships and so on, diplomatic support in the form of the standing UN Committee Against Apartheid that was championed and chaired throughout its existence (bar a couple of years) by Nigeria, as well as accommodating South African exiles in Nigeria (including Thambo Mbeki and, in the initial days of the anti-Apartheid struggle, the late great Madiba Nelson Mandela).

Even though these events occurred well before my time, I do not believe that Nigeria did it with any expectation of reciprocity, but rather for what Nigerians believed was their “manifest destiny” (with a population at the time that amounted to 1 in every 4 Africans and 1 in about every 5 black persons being Nigerian) underpinned by a philosophy that injustice and oppression of black people anywhere is the oppression of all of us. That’s why Nigeria paid the salaries of Antiguan civil servants in the West Indies, endowed HBCUs in the US, supplied crude oil to several African nations at a significant price discount, and donated to minority communities after the Brixton Riots in the UK, among others.
>

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by Carlyboi(m): 11:58am On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

In fact, Nigeria did economic harm to itself in the course of Africa’s COLLECTIVE struggle for South African liberation - expelling/nationalizing UK and US businesses in Nigeria (Barclays, Standard, Chase, BP, Esso, etc.), blocking direct investment into a Nigeria by several Western companies doing business in Apartheid South Africa, and refusing to sell crude oil to or trade with nations deemed friendly with the Apartheid regime. All of these had a long-lasting (and some would argue, probably still has a) residual effect on the Nigerian economy.

This was in addition to military and non-military support for the ANC and other freedom fighters, material support in form of cash and supplies (including the Southern African Relief Fund, which mandated the deduction of a certain percentage of the wages/earnings of every working Nigerian towards the acquisition/distribution of relief material/supplies to South African exiles), educational and capacity-building support in the form of university scholarships and so on, diplomatic support in the form of the standing UN Committee Against Apartheid that was championed and chaired throughout its existence (bar a couple of years) by Nigeria, as well as accommodating South African exiles in Nigeria (including Thambo Mbeki and, in the initial days of the anti-Apartheid struggle, the late great Madiba Nelson Mandela).

Even though these events occurred well before my time, I do not believe that Nigeria did it with any expectation of reciprocity, but rather for what Nigerians believed was their “manifest destiny” (with a population at the time that amounted to 1 in every 4 Africans and 1 in about every 5 black persons being Nigerian) underpinned by a philosophy regarded that injustice and oppression of black people anywhere is the oppression of all of us. That’s why Nigeria paid the salaries of Antiguan civil servants in the West Indies, endowed HBCUs in the US, supplied crude oil to several African nations at a significant price discount, donated to minority communities after the Brixton Riots in the UK, etc.
>
Omo we don try gan oo we deserve very much better from some of these countries honestly!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) by VULCAN(m): 12:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
The point you have chosen to ignore is that this has happened before... and like it was said in Matrix... it will happen again.

This government has been unable to protect lives within borders. So I don't expect them to assist in securing Nigerian lives outside.

Eteka1:
You are nothing but a fool. The Government has condemned the attacks, summoned the South African High Commissioner in Nigeria to register a protest and has also sent a Special Envoy to South Africa. The matter is being handled at that level, do you want the President to start screaming like a mad man on the streets?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos / Katsina Man Renames Son From Buhari To Suleiman, Holds Party Says PMB Has Failed / Who Is Richer Between C.ronaldo And Bola Tinubu??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.