Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi (35034 Views)

Evidenced Based Narration Of Ikoyi Magistrate Extortion / Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry / How Much Is ‘too Much’ To Spend On ‘aso Ebi’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by jaymichael(m): 7:49am On Sep 12, 2019
favourite787899:
I think your wife is just being interested in what people will say if she doesn't buy. But for someone like me I don't care. That was how one of my relatives brought Asoebi for me to buy for her wedding. How much she said 25k and I told her bluntly that I can't afford it cuz I just finished my own wedding then and my own Asoebi was 2k. In fact I never wanted it at all but my mum was saying how it will look beautiful. Even my hubby was willing to pay but for me I refused cuz I felt it was a total waste of fund so no need. Till today she doesn't talk to me and me no send.
Tell that your relatives that I said SHE CAN GO TO HELL. I won't buy any ado-ebi that is more than #2,500. Me I don't sell aso ebi for my occasions. My wife sef knows that if she brings aso ebi for any of our occasions, I go BURN the clothes. She knows I am serious about it. If you can't do your occasion without stressing other people, then don't do it as your power carry.

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by kurlz(f): 7:55am On Sep 12, 2019
favourite787899:
I think your wife is just being interested in what people will say if she doesn't buy. But for someone like me I don't care. That was how one of my relatives brought Asoebi for me to buy for her wedding. How much she said 25k and I told her bluntly that I can't afford it cuz I just finished my own wedding then and my own Asoebi was 2k. In fact I never wanted it at all but my mum was saying how it will look beautiful. Even my hubby was willing to pay but for me I refused cuz I felt it was a total waste of fund so no need. Till today she doesn't talk to me and me no send.

She dey mad

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by favour32(m): 7:55am On Sep 12, 2019
The aso ebi scam has been on ever since.
In some communities, when a person dies,that is the next line of thought----business!
It has brought so much discomfort to so many people that a king in the South placed a ban on it.
Scam is hydra-headed this time round. Most people think that it is yahoo-yahoo that is the only scam.
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by jaymichael(m): 7:58am On Sep 12, 2019
Ishilove:
Nobody kuku can force me to buy asoebi. The last time I bought aso ebi was for an annual church program two years and it was sold for almost triple the amount. The following year I locked up and refused to buy the aso ebi. I and my mum were the only people in church who didn't buy and we stuck out like white people among negroes. Wetin consine me? I chop the rice well and danced like dancing was going out of style. I REFUSE to be extorted.

Op let your madam buy the aso ebi with her money. Like someone said here, to spend someone else's money dey sweet.
The last annual convention we had in church earlier this year, they announced aso ebi #4,500 for 6 yards. I told them that God didn't send the GO to go around selling aso ebi and I told my wife I won't buy. Some days before the event, they brought some (from our pastor's wife) for myself, my wife, son and my mum without my consent at the reduced rate of #3,500 for 6 yards. I was furious that I told my wife and mother that if the clothes spend 30 minutes in my room, I will burn it and they will pay the igbese. My wife kuku obey.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by ekitimanalways(m): 8:17am On Sep 12, 2019
Ginaz:
That was how one lady in my former hood came to look for me all the way to our new house.

She met my mom and told her to give her my number. I got a call in the evening, I just got back from work so stressed and tired. What I heard was “I want you to be in my bridal train”, I went all the way to look for you o, please you will join my train”.

I said no wahala, how much for the cloth and sewing all together. She said 13k . I told her flatly I couldn’t!!!

I was flat broke, I got a job I need to run with money . I no Dey do eye services for this life I come . Imagine after paying 13k, I will do hair, do makeup, buy bag and shoe to match up with the cloth. Which would run to 30k at the lowest.

I told her I could not , she begged and begged and later said I should bring in 10k. But I knew 10k isn’t the problem. Won’t I do hair and other things? Waste of my money at that hard time .

My mom said I should just try cos the lady came to look for me. Lol . I tell my mama say chin chin I don’t have to spend . Don’t make promises you can’t keep. grin

She even went to print my name among the bridal girls on the card program. shocked
grin
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by may320: 8:21am On Sep 12, 2019
Davash222:
Your wife is insisting you must pay the 29k... Your wife fit dey scam you o. Check very well. E fit be say she add her shoe money for inside the 29k. Just saying though.
This got me lmao. grin
You really have a point here. His wife might have added her own jara on top, for shoe and bag. grin

@Op sometimes it's not about the money but about you giving your financial support in other area to the deceased family.
Even though I'm a woman, not the party type but we still buy the Aso Ebi anyway, if it's a close family. I'll just keep mine in the wardrobe not sewing it self....and might end up not attending, but at least you've earn yourself respect from your in-laws.
If you don't want, buy for your wife, it'll be understandable that some men don't subscribe to that. wink
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by may320: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2019
jaymichael:
The last annual convention we had in church earlier this year, they announced aso ebi #4,500 for 6 yards. I told them that God didn't send the GO to go around selling aso ebi and I told my wife I won't buy..
I'm not in support of religious gathering buying Aso Ebi, that's cr.ap and should be stopped.
People are fast bringing the 'world' into the church. undecided

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by kalu61(m): 8:35am On Sep 12, 2019
nicepoker101:
Never visit your future in-laws on native attire. Let them know right from onset na shirt and trouser you de roll with.
you funny.

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by GhostWisperer: 8:37am On Sep 12, 2019
wwwkaycom:
Hoooo. Why should I stop her from buying hers? She is insisting I must pay the 29K. I have told her I'm not paying a dime, she can go ahead to buy hers. I'm not even going to send anything to the celebrant because I've made up my mind not to attend. The celebrant is the same person who packaged the inferior clothing material that washed away late last year, I must do this so that they won't make attempt to extend such to me in the future. This is obvious fraud and my wife's stubbornness on the issue annoys me a lot.
pity your wife just want to feel among and be counted as the financially well-offs.

She is the type who likes impressing neighbours and friends

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by kalu61(m): 8:41am On Sep 12, 2019
Ginaz:
That was how one lady in my former hood came to look for me all the way to our new house.

She met my mom and told her to give her my number. I got a call in the evening, I just got back from work so stressed and tired. What I heard was “I want you to be in my bridal train”, I went all the way to look for you o, please you will join my train”.

I said no wahala, how much for the cloth and sewing all together. She said 13k . I told her flatly I couldn’t!!!

I was flat broke, I got a job I need to run with money . I no Dey do eye services for this life I come . Imagine after paying 13k, I will do hair, do makeup, buy bag and shoe to match up with the cloth. Which would run to 30k at the lowest.

I told her I could not , she begged and begged and later said I should bring in 10k. But I knew 10k isn’t the problem. Won’t I do hair and other things? Waste of my money at that hard time .

My mom said I should just try cos the lady came to look for me. Lol . I tell my mama say chin chin I don’t have to spend . Don’t make promises you can’t keep. grin

She even went to print my name among the bridal girls on the card program. shocked
And you disappointed her. Are guys still in talking terms �
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by don4real18(m): 9:06am On Sep 12, 2019
mysticgal:

undecided
That’s what’s wrong with this country, you want extra largesse thing. If I or my parents want an extra large ceremony, they(I) can do well and keep money for it. Weddings, burials or child ceremonies, are to be within family not the whole community.

Keep killing your self for people who will only laugh and mourn you only when they are seen or even for people who are only there to eat, shishi, gift, they no go give undecided
Okay, I have heard you
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Lamasta(m): 9:07am On Sep 12, 2019
For the sake of your wife and for peace to reign give her the money....

Nobody is an island when you celebrate with others, others will celebrate with You.

As a family man you ought to be conversant with all this Aso Ebi stuff its a way of committing your own effort...
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by timsbee(f): 9:09am On Sep 12, 2019
To me ehn, Fvck asoebi
Fvck celebrant
Fvck the invite sent to me
Fvck their rice n meat
Fvck everything.....

At this stage of my life and the way naija is, I live on my own terms....se mo tie raye radarada ni?

Asoebi nor
Filaebi ni...

2 Likes

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by cutegentility(m): 9:10am On Sep 12, 2019

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 12, 2019
uthlaw:
soapy for where,side chick full ground!

This is adultery
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by sorepco(m): 9:18am On Sep 12, 2019
i think the op should buy the one he saw for 19k...thus saving himself 10k.
k. ir is it a must to buy from his inlaw?

joa2013:
All na Yoruba. Na my people dey do am
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by DeIneffable(m): 10:00am On Sep 12, 2019
truthsayer009:
Sir, Please stand your ground. Last last your wife will not give you any Sex for few weeks due to anger.

You go do soapy. Marlians.

You're not alright I swear, I burst into Laughter for office ni sha grin grin grin
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by mechanics(m): 10:25am On Sep 12, 2019
Hahahah, is not compulsory na

1 Like

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by femijay8271(m): 10:30am On Sep 12, 2019
Tehila07:
My comment will deal with the spiritual repercussion regarding extortion. I have noticed this that everyone that ever extorted me came back begging. A friend of mine did his wedding about 4 years ago. The money I paid for asoebi was enough to buy a very quality cloth. But the cloth bought was not worth more than 2k in the market. He didn't not even wear this cloth with us o. I was angry because the cloth made me look like a pauper.

My friend was well to do at the time, being the richest among us his friends. Fast forward to last year, he became so poor that he relocated to the village and constantly asked me for money to keep him afloat in the village where food is supposed to be plenty because his people are farmers. I had to ensure he gets another job so that he can stop demanding for money and give me peace of mind. Now he's back in the city.

Some people will have to learn the hard way.

Baba, abeg u fit help me with any job?
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:46am On Sep 12, 2019
Logobenz4:
We are the same sort of just that I am a little extreme than you are because I won't even bother coming in the first place.
If you invite me for any wedding,gathering,funeral etc that I have no interest in,I won't come.
Then I also don't buy aso ebi but could support with cash if you are of value to me.

correct person
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Longcucumber(m): 10:49am On Sep 12, 2019
favourite787899:
fine sence you got there. Na ur type we need for this country.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by sugarcoatted(f): 10:52am On Sep 12, 2019
I remember an experience i had while serving at ibadan. A fellow corp member was getting married and sold one horrible cloth to us. She had to sew it herself cause she was a 'tailor'. Both material and style was horrible.

Fast forward to wedding day, i wore something else to the wedding. Before i left the house, someone was saying i have never been to a yoruba wedding and that i shouldnt eat cause there'ld definitely be so much food. Very funny.

I got the place, what i noticed was that people serving intentionally skipped people not wearing asoebi. Both food and sourvenir. I wonder why so much is attached to the cloth, it doesnt make sense. It was really embarrasing.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Ishilove: 11:11am On Sep 12, 2019
jaymichael:
The last annual convention we had in church earlier this year, they announced aso ebi #4,500 for 6 yards. I told them that God didn't send the GO to go around selling aso ebi and I told my wife I won't buy. Some days before the event, they brought some (from our pastor's wife) for myself, my wife, son and my mum without my consent at the reduced rate of #3,500 for 6 yards. I was furious that I told my wife and mother that if the clothes spend 30 minutes in my room, I will burn it and they will pay the igbese. My wife kulu obey.
Boda, your face is too strong grin
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by seunny4lif(m): 11:18am On Sep 12, 2019
capitalzero:

I resolved few months ago that I will not buy aso ebi again. T[b]hank God my wife does not like it[/b]. For our wedding, we did not sell aso ebi.
Op,maintain your stand,do not buy. but if not buying it will lead to serious problem in your marriage,pay for it,but do not sew it. You can send it as a gift to someone. Then,any aso ebi I did not like will be used to sew dress for my mother. i cannot waste money in sewing cloth i do not like. You do not loose in two ways For sake of your family, attend the programme and if you insist on not attending,find good excuse and send a gift to the celebrant. Personally,It is either i attend a ceremony or send gift in most times,not both. I can only give you my time or money not both because time is money.
You sure say, your wife no be my wife twin Sister?

2 Likes

Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by nonix22(m): 11:22am On Sep 12, 2019
madd grin grin
nicepoker101:
Never visit your future in-laws on native attire. Let them know right from onset na shirt and trouser you de roll with.
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 12, 2019
happney65:
I have swore over my life that I wont help them buy those their useless aso-ebi's again..You see I bought one recently for just my wife..The celebrant asked me to please buy which I decided to buy for my wife..Bought my wife's alone for 10K 3 yards..The cloth came,It cant even size her as she uses 4yards..How will I buy a 10K cloth for 3yards..She said the cloth goes for just about 3K in the market and it was of very low quality as I saw it myself..I was really pissed off..The cloth is just lieing fallow till date in my living room as I write..

Now,this is it.I believe whatever ceremony you want to do,Be it wedding,burial ETC..You get money na him you wan do am..You should not be using people to make money to fund your party...When next anybody asks me to come buy their aso-ebi,I will tell him or her point blank I do not buy..If you like dont talk to me again,I dont care..This was actually my first time of buying one sha,I dont know thats how they do

It is very little people that reason well..A friend got married recently,Bride was Nigerian Canadian..Them get money wella..He only choose a cap..A cap that goes for 1200 naira and told everybody to come in White..If you dont have White,wear whatever you got..You dont need to do a party and start inconveniencing people or using them to make money..Na you wan do your party no body send you
I agree with you
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 12, 2019
bobchigar:

Op, it is actually one way of assisting one another financially.
It is not rather it is extortion
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by capitalzero: 11:56am On Sep 12, 2019
seunny4lif:
You sure your wife is not my wife twin Sister?
Are u sure? lol
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by seunny4lif(m): 12:07pm On Sep 12, 2019
capitalzero:

Are u sure? lol
Yes oooooh
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by donshady(m): 12:49pm On Sep 12, 2019
baby124:
Lol. I understand your wife. They are her family members and believe it or not, we know the aso ebi price is a scam. But we buy it to support family and friends financially and socially. It is a financial gift as well as a show of support. You don’t need to buy them gifts or give money after buying aso ebi if you don’t want to.

Thank you.
Re: Extortion In The Name Of Aso Ebi by mammanbawa: 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
truthsayer009:
Sir, Please stand your ground. Last last your wife will not give you any Sex for few weeks due to anger.

You go do soapy. Marlians.
Respek ma nigga grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Paralysed Stay-At-Home Husband Impregnates A Disabled Girl On His Street" / MIRACLE! After 12 Years Of Barrenness, Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets - Photos / Woman Burnt Money Hidden Inside Laundry Basket By Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.