Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,990 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:00 AM

Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country (2438 Views)

Peter Obi In Harvard University USA (Photos) / Edward Adamu With Sanwo-olu At Harvard School / Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Ventura1: 8:30am On Sep 06, 2019
Nigeria has yet again been ‘disgraced’ internationally, following an assignment Harvard University gave to its students in which Nigeria was used as a case study of a failed African country.

The question Harvard University gave its students reads;

Africa is growing. Seven of the the ten fastest growing economies in the world are in Africa, and the continent’s largest economies are becoming less dependent on extractive commodities. The continent’s rising middle class has demonstrated a taste for consumer goods and technological innovation, and Africa’s population-currently more than a billion people- is booming and overwhelmingly young at a time when populations in other regions are shrinking and aging.

Nigeria, sub-saharan Africa’s largest economy, epitomizes both the promise and the problems the continent faces in the 21st century. The country had failed to thrive for its first thirty years as an independent nation, despite having a developmental head start relative to countries like China and India, as well as hundreds of billions of dollars in oil revenue.. Now, after pathbreaking reforms followed by signs of retrenchment, Nigeria’s new President faced both vast opportunity and grave challenges. Would the country flourish or founder in this new era? We will analyze key reforms in Nigeria’s economy, significant political developments, and the choices facing the country’s fast-growing private sector.

1. Why did Nigeria fail to thrive between 1960 and 1999, particularly relative to China and India?

2. How would you characterize former President Obasanjo’s legacy?

3. Are you bullish or bearish on the next fifteen years for Nigeria? What would make you change your mind? What opportunities do you see? What are the challenges (and risks)

This is coming after a 15-year-old Nigerian girl was offered admission to the prestigious Harvard University in United States of America. Saheela Ibraheem is the 15-year-old daughter of a Nigerian immigrant family living in New Jersey, United States. Since news broke about Saheela’s incredible acceptance to 13 of American’s prestigious Universities, local and International media took interests in the teen’s success story.

https://howafrica.com/harvard-university-uses-nigeria-as-a-case-study-of-a-failed-african-country/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Dreal1247: 8:35am On Sep 06, 2019
England is the architect of Nigerian problems. They passed the rulership power to proxies who they are still colonizing in order to keep colonizing the country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by gustav25: 8:39am On Sep 06, 2019
Dreal1247:
England is the architect of Nigerian problems. They passed the rulership power to proxies who they are still colonizing in order to keep colonizing the country.

Stop throwing blames and face your problem squarely... England will also come to wipe your ass after you use the loo ....ndi iberiberism

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Obinnau(m): 8:52am On Sep 06, 2019
Are you angry OP? From all observations, all comments made in the thesis statement is correct. Nigeria has failed when compared to the countries listed in the assignment. Can you compare Nigeria and China, or India? Our reforms are only strong on paper and non existing, physically.
But I would love to see some of the responses to that question.
OP could you search and provide us with some such. Atleast we can use Nigeria as an academic exercise to find out how things could be remedied.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Oblitz(m): 9:00am On Sep 06, 2019
This is embarrassing
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by DrNueLpureHoney: 9:07am On Sep 06, 2019
Who did we actually offend nii?
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by chinwezdasilva: 9:08am On Sep 06, 2019
Failed state
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by izombie(m): 9:13am On Sep 06, 2019
Dreal1247:
my friend shatttaaap there. This black mentality is killing us. Always looking for who to blame. Tufiakwa.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by hahn(m): 9:45am On Sep 06, 2019
Obinnau:
Are you angry OP? From all observations, all comments made in the thesis statement is correct. Nigeria has failed when compared to the countries listed in the assignment. Can you compare Nigeria and China, or India? Our reforms are only strong on paper and non existing, physically.
But I would love to see some of the responses to that question.
OP could you search and provide us with some such. Atleast we can use Nigeria as an academic exercise to find out how things could be remedied.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Printerscanner: 9:54am On Sep 06, 2019
Harvard is right because Harvard trained world bank house-girl Ngozi Okojo-Iwealla ran Nigeria into recession. Therefore Harvard is a failed college

4 Likes

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 06, 2019
Nigeria is a failed state

PEPT however has an opportunity to change our trajectory by sacking Buhari for deposing a false affidavit in court
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by proeast(m): 10:03am On Sep 06, 2019
Printerscanner:
Harvard is right because Harvard trained world bank house-girl Ngozi Okojo-Iwealla ran Nigeria into recession. Therefore Harvard is a failed college

You epitomize Nigeria's failure. Read the nonsense you wrote relative to the topic being discussed and tell me if your education isn't as failed as Nigeria.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by johnmartus(m): 10:06am On Sep 06, 2019
I would like to read the responses from students .if I'm a teacher I wouldn't hesitate to ask my students these questions. I keep saying this Nigeria will remain and worst more than this if yoruba hausa and igbo not go on their own.
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by DevilhimseIf: 10:12am On Sep 06, 2019
[s]
Printerscanner:
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Realdeals(m): 10:14am On Sep 06, 2019
It is sad, but true!
Nigeria, sub-saharan Africa’s largest economy, epitomizes both the promise and the problems the continent faces in the 21st century. The country had failed to thrive for its first thirty years as an independent nation, despite having a developmental head start relative to countries like China and India, as well as hundreds of billions of dollars in oil revenue.
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by ise82(m): 10:24am On Sep 06, 2019
proeast:

You epitomize Nigeria's failure. Read the nonsense you wrote relative to the topic being discussed and tell me if your education isn't as failed as Nigeria.

The guy is making sense because we have many of their graduates working with the government. So they have failed too. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Deepfeel(m): 10:27am On Sep 06, 2019
All these years Nigerian rulers spent their time structuring Nigeria in a way that all the regions in Nigeria should depend on the oil in Biafra land, Yoruba's abandoned their cocoa farm, northerners abandoned their cotton and groundnut farms, Gowon divided the Eastern Region to smaller parts to stop Biafra from secession, and nationalized their oil. Oil has done more harm to Nigeria than good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Smoke55: 10:41am On Sep 06, 2019
Printerscanner:
but Nigeria Has The Fastest Growing Economy In Africa And 5th In The World When Ngozi Okonjo Iwala Was The Minister Of Finance,so How Does She Run Your Country Into Recession? But Wait Ooo Are You A Buharist?? Because I Already Knew All Buharist To Be Brainless Zom-bis..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by efighter: 11:16am On Sep 06, 2019
Smoke55:
but Nigeria Has The Fastest Growing Economy In Africa And 5th In The World When Ngozi Okonjo Iwala Was The Minister Of Finance,so How Does She Run Your Country Into Recession? But Wait Ooo Are You A Buharist?? Because I Already Knew All Buharist To Be Brainless Zom-bis..

An economy that was borrowing money to pay salaries?

2 Likes

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Ceoking6: 11:23am On Sep 06, 2019
Smoke55:
you calling some one a zombis but can't spell zombie.

"How does she run your country into recession" indeed.
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Smoke55: 11:24am On Sep 06, 2019
efighter:

An economy that was borrowing money to pay salaries?
can You Tell Us The Amount Gudluck Borrowed In 16 Yrs,and Still Kept The Economy Growing And Tell Us How Much Buhari Borrowed In 4 Years And Still Made The Country The World Center Of Poverty

1 Like

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Smoke55: 11:37am On Sep 06, 2019
Ceoking6:

lolz Where Is This One Coming From? How Come You Manage To No Its Zombie I Wanted To Write? About How "Does She" Instead Of "Did She" At Your Age You Should Have Known About Typographic Err's,and Mind You Nobody Is Above Mistake,,,but I Can See You Are A Novice In This Forum.

2 Likes

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Smoke55: 11:38am On Sep 06, 2019
Ceoking6:

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Powerbankseller(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2019
Yes! After that, what next?
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Ceoking6: 11:42am On Sep 06, 2019
Smoke55:
lolz Where Is This One Coming From? How Come You Manage To No Its Zombie I Wanted To Write? About How "Does She" Instead Of "Did She" At Your Age You Should Have Known About Typographic Err's,and Mind You Nobody Is Above Mistake,,,but I Can See You Are A Novice In This Forum.
my point exactly is why stereotyping the dude for expressing his opinion when you know you also have flaws
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by KidsNEXTdoor: 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2019
From all the comments above

None has disagreed this assertion of Nigeria being a failed state

They know our current constitution and democracy can't make any difference.. All it does is make politicians billionaires and the masses paupers...

Yet every four years.. They queue up under hot sun to vote for their oppressors...

The foundation is faulty.. If you like go to heaven and get an angel to rule Nigeria... It's a waste of time

An ailing economy.. Poverty-stricken country.. Poverty capital of the world .. But quick to pay their senators hardship allowance.

Yet no one is occupying the streets in protest.. Nigerians are the culprits

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by Smoke55: 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2019
Ceoking6:
my point exactly is why stereotyping the dude for expressing his opinion when you know you also have flaws
ok Bye,but Mind You I Never Made Any Mockery Of The Dude Errs.
Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by FarahAideed: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2019
Under Buhari Nigeria has totally failed I swear ..the country is is shambles , the whole north including the president's state has been ceded to warlords , the middle belt is on the verge of starvation , the economy is totally hopeless .. Buhari has failed

1 Like

Re: Harvard University Uses Nigeria As A Case Study Of A Failed African Country by FarahAideed: 9:31am On Sep 07, 2019
Dreal1247:

Buhari is the architect of Nigeria problem. If Buhari didn't overthrow Shagari for Nothing then Nigeria would have been great now . Never in the history bof mankind has one useless man derailed a country like the wicked failure Buhari

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Can't Nike Make It's Shoes In Nigeria ? / 10 Million Match : Thank You Buhari For Ending Sars / Oba Of Lagos Returns After Hoodlums Looted The Palace (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.