Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:31 AM

How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) (18638 Views)

My Yummy Beans And Plantain Recipe (frying Method).. Guys Come In And Learn / 6 Secrets To A Delicious Mashed Potato Recipe. / Ewa Agoyin: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin Beans (easy Mashed Beans Recipe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by hitng(m): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
[img]https://1.bp..com/-Wz3TDdDTESA/XXJCLrg8ELI/AAAAAAAADv4/4xe7t6vVjQkVM1lpTt0SFuMLcr78Qcg8ACLcBGAs/s1600/make-onunu-hitng_info.png[/img]

Onunu is a Nigerian delicacy that hails from Rivers State and has a long and rich history. The list of ingredients for onunu is surprisingly short, given its amazing flavour and fluffy texture. Visually, onunu resembles pounded yam, but those two dishes have more differences than similarities. Find out how to make onunu right now!

1. Ingredients
The two main ingredients for onunu are mashed yam and plantain, but there are a few more ingredients you will need to recreate the beloved taste of onunu. Here is what you will require for this recipe:

• Plantains – 2
• Yam slices – 3
• Palm oil – 1/2 cup
• Salt – to taste
• Pepper – to taste

Onunu cannot be made without plantains, but you can’t just use any plantains you have at home. To achieve the perfect consistency, the plantains should be overripe. When you see the majority of the plantain skin turn brown, you can instantly begin cooking your onunu.

2. How To Make Onunu
If you have never cooked onunu before, you are probably going to be surprised by how easy this dish is. Take these steps to make your first batch of delicious onunu:

1. Peel the skin from the yam slices and rinse them. Put the yams into an empty pot.

2. Add enough water to cover the yams, put on a stove, and bring to a boil.

3. Cook the yams until they are soft.

4. Wash the plantains them and slice each plantain into 2 or 3 slices, leaving the skin on. Put the plantains into an empty pot.

5. Cover the plantain slices with water, put on a stove, and bring to a boil.

6. Cook until the plantains are soft.

7. Take the yam slices out of the water, put into a mortar, and pound with a pestle while the yam is still hot.

8. Peel the skin off the plantains while they are still hot and add to the pounded yams. Pound together until you reach an airy and uniform consistency.

9. Add the salt, pepper, and palm oil. Continue pounding the onunu until the mixture reaches a warm yellow colour and a sleek shine. Make sure not to pound your onunu too much – it can lead to a rubbery, doughy texture you don’t want.

10. Shape the onunu into a ball. The pounded yam and plantain onunu is done!

11. Serve your onunu with your favourite stew or soup. Onunu tastes particularly great with seafood, so if you are planning to make a seafood stew, you already know what to serve with it.

https://www.hitng.info/2019/09/how-to-make-onunu-mashed-yam-and.html

Lalasticlala mynd44 Seun

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by delishpot: 12:31pm On Sep 06, 2019
What about the odu they wii use to bali it?
FYI onunu is not swallow. So you can't serve with anyhow soup or stew.

8 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Sirvolga(m): 12:48pm On Sep 06, 2019
Ok noted,thank you for Banking with us

4 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by mrZENographer: 12:49pm On Sep 06, 2019
Yummy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by DrNueLpureHoney: 12:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
Nice write-up
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by freemanbubble: 12:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
Fuckkked up food
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Naija247blog: 12:50pm On Sep 06, 2019
Issoryt
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by chudez0147(m): 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2019
My first time to hear such food. I only know of Ghanas fufu.. Cassava and plantain. They call it gbanchi boude.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by prensis: 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2019
Nairaland girls come and learn how to cook onunu for your husband / fiance.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by overall90: 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2019
my then kalabari girl friend once prepared this delicacy with kroka for me.
God bless her wherever she is.

8 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by AdonaiAluminium: 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2019
Very rich in carbohydrates , vitamins and minerals.. Natural delicious taste.

Contact us for all your roofing jobs, roof maintenance services, insulated roofing sheets and panels e
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by vizzyswagh(m): 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2019
Interesting embarassed
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by francisduru: 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2019
Ripe or unripe plantain?

1 Like

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by tydhay123: 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2019
UK used laptops up for grab!

1 Share

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by naijacentric(m): 12:56pm On Sep 06, 2019
freemanbubble:
Fuckkked up food
have some courtesy man haba!

4 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by sylve11: 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2019
That Onowu for my street don die today. i go pound him till him turn red. tongue cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by alasane: 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2019
hitng:
[img]https://1.bp..com/-Wz3TDdDTESA/XXJCLrg8ELI/AAAAAAAADv4/4xe7t6vVjQkVM1lpTt0SFuMLcr78Qcg8ACLcBGAs/s1600/make-onunu-hitng_info.png[/img]

Onunu is a Nigerian delicacy that hails from Rivers State and has a long and rich history. The list of ingredients for onunu is surprisingly short, given its amazing flavour and fluffy texture. Visually, onunu resembles pounded yam, but those two dishes have more differences than similarities. Find out how to make onunu right now!

1. Ingredients
The two main ingredients for onunu are mashed yam and plantain, but there are a few more ingredients you will need to recreate the beloved taste of onunu. Here is what you will require for this recipe:

• Plantains – 2
• Yam slices – 3
• Palm oil – 1/2 cup
• Salt – to taste
• Pepper – to taste

Onunu cannot be made without plantains, but you can’t just use any plantains you have at home. To achieve the perfect consistency, the plantains should be overripe. When you see the majority of the plantain skin turn brown, you can instantly begin cooking your onunu.

2. How To Make Onunu
If you have never cooked onunu before, you are probably going to be surprised by how easy this dish is. Take these steps to make your first batch of delicious onunu:

1. Peel the skin from the yam slices and rinse them. Put the yams into an empty pot.

4. Wash the plantains them and slice each plantain into 2 or 3 slices, leaving the skin on. Put the plantains into an empty pot.

7. Take the yam slices out of the water, put into a mortar, and pound with a pestle while the yam is still hot.

8. Peel the skin off the plantains while they are still hot and add to the pounded yams. Pound together until you reach an airy and uniform consistency.

9. Add the salt, pepper, and palm oil. Continue pounding the onunu until the mixture reaches a warm yellow colour and a sleek shine. Make sure not to pound your onunu too much – it can lead to a rubbery, doughy texture you don’t want.

11. Serve your onunu with your favourite stew or soup. Onunu tastes particularly great with seafood, so if you are planning to make a seafood stew, you already know what to serve with it.

Lalasticlala mynd44 Seun

My network is too slow so i am not able to see the image clearly but from the comments, i can assure you that the wife was at fault to slap the landlady's husband . The only thing we are wishing the couple is a fabulous life after the pastor has said the court was right to give the footballer the goat that was stollen from the bakery studio.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by sazycul: 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2019
I hate onunu, looks like puu to me

1 Like

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2019
So onunu means what in English pounded yam and pounded ripe plantain added salt and oil.

That is to say girls in that community will marry easily and fast after eating onunu which will lead to onunu-ugu...

What a food.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by mechanics(m): 1:06pm On Sep 06, 2019
Wow, delicious.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by JayPeeOham: 1:08pm On Sep 06, 2019
Why boil the yam and plantain separately when u can simply put same in the same pot and boil?....which in turns saves time and gas!........abi u want make hunger kill person?

hitng:

1. Ingredients

• Plantains – 2
• Yam slices – 3
• Palm oil – 1/2 cup
• Salt – to taste
• Pepper – to taste

2. How To Make Onunu

Lalasticlala mynd44 Seun

16 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by edobalo: 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2019
Sleeping Medicine.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Eddygourdo(m): 1:13pm On Sep 06, 2019
delishpot:
What about the odu they wii use to bali it?
FYI onunu is not swallow. So you can't serve with anyhow soup or stew.
ha... Not a swallow? How is it then eaten Biko.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by marvinsync(m): 1:24pm On Sep 06, 2019
this food seems nice but I'm not sure to take the risk since I haven't heard of it or prepared it b4 , I'm a student ya know.
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Thisis2raw(m): 1:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
My uncle wife makes this dish like a champ. When she makes this dish she always call me, cuz she know I love it..

Kalabari people of rivers state for this one
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by HarryDuce(m): 1:30pm On Sep 06, 2019
JayPeeOham:
Why boil the yam and plantain separately when u can simply put same in the same pot and boil?....which in turns saves time and gas!........abi u want make hunger kill person?

You can actually boil it in the same pot. You'd have to boil the yam slices first. When it's soft, you can add the plantain. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Thisis2raw(m): 1:30pm On Sep 06, 2019
Eddygourdo:
tomato stew, or red oil sauce with pepper, salt onion

1 Like

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by HarryDuce(m): 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2019
Eddygourdo:
Cutlery (just spoon for most people). It doesn't have the same texture as pounded yam or any other swallow. Don't be deceived by the photo. Then you have your stew (or sauce).
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by perpeling22(f): 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2019
francisduru:
Ripe or unripe plantain?

You no read am ?

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by francisduru: 1:58pm On Sep 06, 2019
She no dey there
Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Teerach: 2:10pm On Sep 06, 2019
Op is Ijaw.... I'm from Nembe. We call it Ebobo

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) by Sterope(f): 2:18pm On Sep 06, 2019
Sound like porridge though with the pounding.

HarryDuce:
Cutlery (just spoon for most people). It doesn't have the same texture as pounded yam or any other swallow. Don't be deceived by the photo. Then you have your stew (or sauce).

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Quality & Affordable PET Bottle Preform Plastics Of Different Sizes & Colour / Why "Hungry Man" On Indomie Pack? / Coke Or Pepsi, Fanta Or Mirinda, Sprite Or 7-UP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.