Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,552 members, 7,801,556 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments (29837 Views)

Wike Orders Prosecution Of Amaechi, Cole Over Alleged Sale Of Assets / Court Orders Permanent Forfeiture Of Assets Linked To Oyo-ita / Court Upholds Buhari Executive Order On Seizure Of Assets Linked To Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Lamasta(m): 9:09am On Sep 08, 2019
The government should impose heavy fine or tax upon South African businesses instead of nationalizing it
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by felaismyhero(m): 9:11am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
our foreign assets dey oyinbo man hand. Try and nationalise na and see if dem no go seize am. Mugabe and gadafi wey no play ball how dem end up. Den u go know who be mumu.
but we have nationalized companies in time past; first bank was formerly barclays bank.it was very impolitic of the signee to that deal to have signed it; whoever it(government) was lacked foresight! so there is nothing with which we can hold the south african government accountable for xenophobic attacks! mugabe failed because everyone was angry with his government; so many years in power with nothing to show for it.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by AquariusRising: 9:22am On Sep 08, 2019
IamCharles123:
This is not an issue jor, SA govt has already broken the Clause in such agreement since they fail to protect Nigeria businesses in SA. If nigeria govt decide to nationalize SA business, SA can't do anything.

I wish I could like your comment twice!
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by orisa37: 9:32am On Sep 08, 2019
Is Thambo Mbaki still alive? What has he got to say in this Xenophobic Era?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by lagosrd: 9:33am On Sep 08, 2019
Does it includes xenophobic killings by South Africans
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Codes151(m): 9:37am On Sep 08, 2019
This is the problem with these leaders!

We want the ties canceled. Yes Una stupidly signed agreement to avoid nationalism but now, the deal is worth less cuz our interest isn’t protected!

So cancel the deal and nationalize our path of the biz. Open, expand and grow!

Lemme ask, if we were at war which we are, will you be reading this junk for us?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Codes151(m): 9:38am On Sep 08, 2019
orisa37:
Is Thambo Mbaki still alive? What has he got to say in this Xenophobic Era?
imagine our leaders !! Mumu people
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Brightest04(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2019
I'm not surprised of the contents of that agreement duly signed by our who knows president of that time.Yes,most of our leaders have eyes but can't see and their greedy hearts is so clouded that all they think of when signing an agreement involving money is the amount percentage they stand to rake into their private pulse.
The same type they signed to give away Bakassi to Cameron and some part of Badagry to Republic of Benin.And one day they will sign an agreement selling us all to Chad or Niger Republic.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by modik(m): 9:49am On Sep 08, 2019
bennynaza:
Agreement or not, if you want to do it, you do it.
There is no law or agreement that supports a govt to nationalize foreign investments.
You do it by force. It's just a matter of having the balls to declare foreign assets national and damn the reaction.

Question is, does our present government have the balls?

I remember our erstwhile action Senate President Dr Bukola Saraki.

But for him, no other has the ball and the balls.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Damod88: 9:55am On Sep 08, 2019
This shows how unintelligent most Nigerians are. How can a nation that desperately needs foreign investments to growth its economy be calling for the nationalization of existing foreign ones?So ,if it happens today that Nigerians in China are being treated badly, then the Nigerian government should also nationalise Chinese investments in the country. Those calling for nationalization ,especially the politicians, are saying it to impress gullible Nigerians that they are patriotic, but in reality they know that Nigerian government cannot do it. Should the government do it, the consequences will be more damaging than tsunami. It will send the signal that Nigeria is not save for foreign investments and that the government can ,at the slightest provocation ,seize such investments. This will ultimately destroy the Nigerian economy without any hope for local substitutes for seized foreign ones, because this is a country whose leaders and technocrats have been deceived by American politicians and economists that the government should not be involved in business. And for those who are saying that the government should nationalise South African investments in Nigeria in response to the destruction of Nigerian investments in South Africa, what these individuals should know is that South African companies in Nigeria were duely registered in South Africa before the came to Nigerian market. In other words, these are corporate entities duely incorporated with legal rights to sue and be sued,there are infact legal entities. There is definitely going to be protection for these companies unlike a small store operated by a Nigerian trader living in South Africa .The only Nigerian businesss that can enjoy the same reciprocal protection from South African government are the large Nigerian entities like dangote, Glo, and the banks that are duely registered in Nigeria. Well, I don't know if these Nigerian companies do have presence in South Africa, but if they do you would probably not hear them being attacked ,or was it reported that Nigerian corporate entities were attacked in South Africa? The stores burnt and looted in South were owned by individual small business owners who are not rich enough to either register or operate as a corporate body. It is going to be difficult for so many of these small business owners to get back to business. I watched on television yesterday a Bangladeshi trader crying after his store was looted. He was appealing to the government to come to the rescue of traders whose stores were affected. I think the south African government should help some of these traders get back to business even if it is going to be in the form of loans with low interest rates and repayable after some significant period of time. Now coming home to Nigeria, how are the store owners whose articles of trade were destroyed in the reprisal attacks going to be compensated? We should not forget that here in Nigeria properties worth millions of naira were also looted in the reprisal attacks.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by GloShare(m): 10:04am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
same what The nigerian in SA have small businesses in local areas mostly without licences so u think police will guard a south african shop in ikotun or alaba market. (If any). Please stop displaying illetracy here. As you know nothing

I will stop dignifying you with a response because you lack basic communication skills. Learn to be respectful, for your own good.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by abc115: 10:14am On Sep 08, 2019
Agreements can be declared null and void? What is this one writing?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by favour32(m): 10:15am On Sep 08, 2019
bennynaza:
But another problem is that if we nationalize MTN, in less than 2 years they will die like Nitel.
DStv will be worse than NTA
Shoprite will become Mammy market
Nigeria government cannot offer public services.
Public schools are dead!
Nitel is another graveyard!
Pipeborne water is a mirage in most states but there is Water Board.
Government cannot manage any business effectively except selling it to looters of treasury ( themselves).
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by keryj(f): 10:19am On Sep 08, 2019
Hi guys, please help my bestie get votes by clicking the like button through the link below.

Please let's help her hustle, na beg I dey

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2EU_u_BOyK/?igshid=ujwvwtn49f48
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by fela4live: 10:23am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
ok sir. Make we go drink beer
Lol... grin grin......I dey far away o.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by richPHAROAH: 10:31am On Sep 08, 2019
enough of all this xenophobia shit. the people killing , dont watch tv or even use internet. xenophobia or what ever you call it will never stop as long as the divide between the very poor and the rich is so wide. these people kill because of the way nigerians flaunt their drug and scam money. u dont step on a dogs tail and then start blaming it for barking. stop over flaunting your ill gotten wealth to poor south africans. even in nigeria the poor kidnapp and kill the rich for same reason. lets fight poverty, that is the fire. all the xenophobia, insecurity, kidnaping militancy etc etc na just smoke
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by yeyeosoronga: 10:32am On Sep 08, 2019
If nigerians are serious, then port your mobile networks from mtn to glo, airtel (or whatever it's called now), the other green one- etisalat or whatever it is now called.
Stop watching big brother.
Stop subscribing to DSTV and go for other cable networks.
Close your accounts with stanbic and standard chartered bank. Use Zenith, GTB, First bank or whatever bank has no link to SA.
The power is with you, Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by whirlwind7(m): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2019
Islie

Just a simple look at this issue.
Since the agreement between both nations does not give place for nationalization of investments of SA origin, where does any agreement condone killing of innocent Nigerians in SA?
Do you see my point?
So, it is a sacred obligation not to nationalize their investments in Nigeria, but the life of Nigerians in SA are not sacred grin

By the way, I didn't bother to read that post. The topic told me what it was all about. On planet Earth, absolutely nothing is more sacred, more precious, or more expensive than human life.
Any other argument about contracts, agreements or whatever falls flat on its face where human life keeps getting wasted.
Mind you, I'm not arguing that companies from SA based in Nigeria should get nationalized. There are much better punishments a serious government could employ.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by phineas: 10:37am On Sep 08, 2019
But the people can respond at the level of the consumers.

Step 1.identify as many SA owned businesses and goods as possible. For example apples from SA, stores and services

Step 2:boycot them at the consumer level

Step 3:Watch their sales g down

That's patrotism

-Don't send ur subscription money to SA, Use Netflix instread

-Take time to port to another network

-If your friend has 2 lines call the other line so you don't dash MTN money

-if they call with an MTN line don't pick but call them back on another line. Buy your data on your other line

-check the sources of apples. Buy Cameroon and not SA apples

Ditto for other bussinesses,Watch their sales drop
That's a consumers protest that works,thats patroitism
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Ay77(m): 10:46am On Sep 08, 2019
fela4live:

So na we sabi read shit?

I mean how do I know
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by justtoodark: 10:46am On Sep 08, 2019
Damod88:
This shows how unintelligent most Nigerians are. How can a nation that desperately needs foreign investments to growth its economy be calling for the nationalization of existing foreign ones?So ,if it happens today that Nigerians in China are being treated badly, then the Nigerian government should also nationalise Chinese investments in the country. Those calling for nationalization ,especially the politicians, are saying it to impress gullible Nigerians that they are patriotic, but in reality they know that Nigerian government cannot do it. Should the government do it, the consequences will be more damaging than tsunami. It will send the signal that Nigeria is not save for foreign investments and that the government can ,at the slightest provocation ,seize such investments. This will ultimately destroy the Nigerian economy without any hope for local substitutes for seized foreign ones, because this is a country whose leaders and technocrats have been deceived by American politicians and economists that the government should not be involved in business. And for those who are saying that the government should nationalise South African investments in Nigeria in response to the destruction of Nigerian investments in South Africa, what these individuals should know is that South African companies in Nigeria were duely registered in South Africa before the came to Nigerian market. In other words, these are corporate entities duely incorporated with legal rights to sue and be sued,there are infact legal entities. There is definitely going to be protection for these companies unlike a small store operated by a Nigerian trader living in South Africa .The only Nigerian businesss that can enjoy the same reciprocal protection from South African government are the large Nigerian entities like dangote, Glo, and the banks that are duely registered in Nigeria. Well, I don't know if these Nigerian companies do have presence in South Africa, but if they do you would probably not hear them being attacked ,or was it reported that Nigerian corporate entities were attacked in South Africa? The stores burnt and looted in South were owned by individual small business owners who are not rich enough to either register or operate as a corporate body. It is going to be difficult for so many of these small business owners to get back to business. I watched on television yesterday a Bangladeshi trader crying after his store was looted. He was appealing to the government to come to the rescue of traders whose stores were affected. I think the south African government should help some of these traders get back to business even if it is going to be in the form of loans with low interest rates and repayable after some significant period of time. Now coming home to Nigeria, how are the store owners whose articles of trade were destroyed in the reprisal attacks going to be compensated? We should not forget that here in Nigeria properties worth millions of naira were also looted in the reprisal attacks.

blabla....your businesses with foreighn nations mean nothing to me,so long lifes abroad are not save....

if nigeria has to become like north korea to defend its citizens,then so be it....!!
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by phineas: 10:48am On Sep 08, 2019
Damod88:
This shows how unintelligent most Nigerians are. How can a nation that desperately needs foreign investments to growth its economy be calling for the nationalization of existing foreign ones?So ,if it happens today that Nigerians in China are being treated badly, then the Nigerian government should also nationalise Chinese investments in the country. Those calling for nationalization ,especially the politicians, are saying it to impress gullible Nigerians .

We do not need or want FDI from countries that kill our people with no remorse.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by justtoodark: 10:50am On Sep 08, 2019
phineas:

We do not need or want FDI from countries that kill our people with no remorse.

tell am....

you see now how boko could become that strong with people thinkin like this....??

all what this kin people care about is business....!!

blood money....!!
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Deepthoughts: 10:53am On Sep 08, 2019
Islie:

....We’ll not tolerate reprisal, lawlessness, says Lagos Gov

....Standard Bank Group: We stand ashamed before our African brothers and sisters

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/08/nigeria-safrica-agreement-forbids-nationalisation-of-assets-investments/

As bitter n deadly as my suggestion may sound, it's the simple truth!,take down some south Africans here n their government will wake up,yes they have the right to deal squarely with any criminal in their country but not tacitly allowing generalised killings for economic social or political reasons.just last week the Israeli prime Minister openly declared that "when your enemy has decided to kill you,you must rise n kill him first",the Americans will tell you"speak to your enemies in the language they understand".
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by CioAngels(f): 10:55am On Sep 08, 2019
Your government forbids reprisal but SA do have every right to burn a Nigeria a life while their police laughs. Nigeria of today is afraid of SA because they are today more organised so Nigerian government can trade- her citizens for because ventures. Taken over their business? No way, because in less than one year Nigeria will run it aground for not having the know how. While South African government defends her citizens Nigeria is arresting her citizen and sent to the Nations capital for humiliation. I think i read some where a stooge Nigerian government official said no Nigerian died in SA. How sad. Nigerians are being killed by other countries and her government does not care so foreigners will kill Nigerians because their government will praise them for killing them.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Dearlord(m): 11:01am On Sep 08, 2019
This is nonsense, something keeps telling me that Nigerian Govt won't take any necessary action especially at this moment the nation is perceiving segregation.
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
a trade agreement. Wetin concern protection of lives . Kai u dull o. Malls were looted in nigeria. Na insurance go bear am as they paid premium. U think say FG go settle shoprite and co . Now to the nigerian businesses in SA where dey insured or not If no OYO
trade agreement covers both good and services. what happen when you kill those who are to render the services? there are no trade agreement without the protection of life and assets. I am done with you
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by ednut1(m): 11:03am On Sep 08, 2019
niaralandtopuser:

trade agreement covers both good and services. what happen when you kill those who are to render the services? there are no trade agreement without the protection of life and assets. I am done with you
ignorance. There is something called insurance
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 08, 2019
ednut1:
ignorance. There is something called insurance
was there no insurance before you struck the agreement? do you need agreement to live, work and own businesses In any country? does the WTO agreement not covered that already? why get
special agreement just to trade or live in another country when you can already do that under the WTO agreement? I must be explaining to a very dumb individual
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Mutemenot(m): 11:19am On Sep 08, 2019
chinchonglee:
I knew their govt is smarter dan ours

They saw the future before us cheesy
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by Xisnin(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2019
GloShare:
Any agreement can be broken... that's why it's an agreement.

Or did the agreement permit killing Nigerians?

FG should seize about 2% of SA firms profits and put it in an escrow account to pay damages and compensations in case of such attacks. After every 5 years, the monies can be returned to the companies while a new batch of profits are held down.
Apart from stealing is anything else in your head?
Re: Nigeria, S’africa Agreement Forbids Nationalisation Of Assets, Investments by olamakinde(m): 11:25am On Sep 08, 2019
Emrixx:
Please summarize if you finish reading
Lazy youth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Recalls Envoy to South Africa over Xenophobia attacks / John Oyegun's Daughter's Traditional Wedding - Photos / Nigeria Buys Helicopters, Vehicles From Russia, UAE To Fight Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.