Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

Why Are Puppies So Expensive - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Are Puppies So Expensive (1614 Views)

World's Most Expensive Insect / See The World Most Expensive Dog That Cost Over ₦760 Million / World's Most Expensive Snake Is Lavender Albino Ball Python, Costs N14 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 11:22am On Sep 08, 2019
I recently saw an advert for the sale of puppies on Twitter with the price at 150000naira, it got me thinking why should I spend such money on something I will spend excess money to maintain, what's the gain of training expensive dogs

1 Like

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by oz4real83(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2019
Most Nigerians have this mentality that anything "imported" must be expensive otherwise it won't have value. Infact the more expensive, the more the value. If u take your local dog worth N5000 outside the country and bring it back, its value will change astronomically. You can even sell the puppies expensively as long as you tell our people that they are "FOREIGN" or "IMPORTED" dogs.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by Davash222(m): 11:30am On Sep 08, 2019
Because they’re puppies!!
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
oz4real83:
Most Nigerians have this mentality that anything "imported" must be expensive otherwise it won't have value. Infact the more expensive, the more the value. If u take your local dog worth N5000 outside the country and bring it back, its value will change astronomically. You can even sell the puppies expensively as long as you tell our people that they are "FOREIGN" or "IMPORTED" dogs.
what defines a dog as foreign, please which are the Nigerian dogd
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
Davash222:
Because they’re puppies!!
if puppies are expensive, how much will they adults be
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by Baroba(m): 4:47pm On Sep 08, 2019
All relative bro, there are puppies that cost ₦2000 and some that so as much as ₦1million or more it all depends on the breed and it's quality ...

Your question is like someone asking ," Why are cars expensive"...

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 6:54pm On Sep 08, 2019
Lols now let's look at it this way.

Someone buys a female dog at puppyhood for 150k.

Every month he buys at least 1 bag of kibble for her which costs let me say 10k X 12months = 120k

He got her some pet accessories like; dog feeding bowl-N4,500

leash and collar-6k

Dog soap and shampoo for 12months- 6k

He builds her a dog cage lets say 50k

The Meat, brisket bones, and other small small treats he's been buying for 12months- 20k

Medical and vet bills for the 12months -15k

His dog comes on heat, he looks for a good pedigree male and stud service was conducted, he pays 100k for the stud service because the owner said he won't collect any pup.

She litters 6pups, he rush into the market to get dog milk, baby milk, dried food for the pups, a whelping box and other puppy accessories. Let's say roughly 200k

Total = N671,500 which is almost 700k. You don't expect him to sell his pups 50 50k for you now. Nah not possible

Note: this write up isn't for a pedigree female dog, a ped female dog costs about 300k and the upkeep and everything should reach a million plus.

This is one of the reasons why pups are expensive

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by wizi44(m): 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
vincentjk:

Every month he buys at least 1 bag of kibble for her which costs let me say 10k X 12months = 120k

leash and collar-6k

The Meat, brisket bones, and other small small treats he's been buying for 12months- 20k

His dog comes on heat, he looks for a good pedigree male and stud service was conducted, he pays 100k for the stud service because the owner said he won't collect any pup.

She litters 6pups, he rush into the market to get dog milk, baby milk, dried food for the pups, a whelping box and other puppy accessories. Let's say roughly 200k

Total = N671,500 which is almost 700k. You don't expect him to sell his pups 50 50k for you now. Nah not possible

Note: this write up isn't for a pedigree female dog, a ped female dog costs about 300k and the upkeep and everything should reach a million plus.

my God, guy you hit the bull's eye there

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 10:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
vincentjk:

He got her some pet accessories like; dog feeding bowl-N4,500 so is literally business the puppies are bought for?
Then what of people who genuinely keep them as pets

leash and collar-6k

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 10:14pm On Sep 08, 2019
vincentjk:

He got her some pet accessories like; dog feeding bowl-N4,500 so is literally business the puppies are bought for?
Then what of people who genuinely keep them as pets

leash and collar-6k

so literally the puppies are bought to be resold
What of people who genuinely buy them as pets

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
Baroba:
All relative bro, there are puppies that cost ₦2000 and some that so as much as ₦1million or more it all depends on the breed and it's quality ...

Your question is like someone asking ," Why are cars expensive"...

a car is a finished product, puppies are not
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2019
chigoziri2403:
so literally the puppies are bought to be resold
What of people who genuinely buy them as pets

All the same. Just like i narrated earlier, if you get a pup from him then keep it as a pet then no big deal. Believe me N150k for a quality pup is even cheap, visit other countries and see how much dogs are worth.

I'm a dog lover and NOT a breeder but I'm getting a pup worth more than that price you stated above just for pet and to keep at home nothing else. check my dogs diary and see what I'm doing with those boys

The image i attached below is a screenshot i took from a Zambian group, someone had made a post requesting for a pitbull pup and clearly stated he has $800 which is close to N300k in Nigeria o so you see. He isn't even requesting for a pedigree nor an imported pit either

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 10:32pm On Sep 08, 2019
vincentjk:
what's the need to stress oneself rearing a dog, the energy in raising it

All the same. Just like i narrated earlier, if you get a pup from him then keep it as a pet then no big deal. Believe me N150k for a quality pup is even cheap, visit other countries and see how much dogs are worth.

I'm a dog lover and NOT a breeder but I'm getting a pup worth more than that price you stated above just for pet and to keep at home nothing else. check my dogs diary and see what I'm doing with those boys

The image i attached below is a screenshot i took from a Zambian group, someone had made a post requesting for a pitbull pup and clearly stated he has $800 which is close to N300k in Nigeria o so you see. He isn't even requesting for a pedigree nor an imported pit either
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 8:23am On Sep 09, 2019
[quote author=chigoziri2403 post=82049165][/quote]

I don't get it?
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2019
vincentjk:

I don't get it?
all the stress to take care of an animal
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 9:23am On Sep 09, 2019
chigoziri2403:
all the stress to take care of an animal

Some keep dogs for security reasons, some buy and raise them to become family members and companions whole others prefer them as pets especially, toy breeds.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 9:25am On Sep 09, 2019
vincentjk:

Some keep dogs for security reasons, some buy and raise them to become family members and companions whole others prefer them as pets especially, toy breeds.
if I will spend such energy and moment on an animal, then it must attend school and I will include it in my will.
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 10:17am On Sep 09, 2019
chigoziri2403:
if I will spend such energy and moment on an animal, then it must attend school and I will include it in my will.

Taking your dog to a trainer for a training session is actually a way of educating your dog. They do go to school

And in the military for instance, only the k9s that pass all training sessions are certified and eligible to be used for detention services
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 10:44am On Sep 09, 2019
vincentjk:

Taking your dog to a trainer for a training session is actually a way of educating your dog. They do go to school

And in the military for instance, only the k9s that pass all training sessions are certified and eligible to be used for detention services
that's not our culture here
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 11:34am On Sep 09, 2019
chigoziri2403:
that's not our culture here

Nobody is talking about culture here because if you wanna do it the culture way, you should go for our local dogs which are very affordable. At least you won't have to worry about spending so much on a dog anymore
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by chigoziri2403(m): 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2019
vincentjk:

Nobody is talking about culture here because if you wanna do it the culture way, you should go for our local dogs which are very affordable. At least you won't have to worry about spending so much on a dog anymore
so what can the foreign dog do that so called 'local dog' can't do
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2019
chigoziri2403:

If you think the local dog could do all a foreign breed can then no need for all these long convo. Go get yourself a cultural dog as you called it period.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by adisabarber(m): 1:50pm On Sep 09, 2019
chigoziri2403:

Are you asking questions to learn or you just want to prove that dogs are not worth the huge amount spent on them? Have you ever stopped someone putting on expensive lace to ask what his clothes can do that linen cannot do? It's a matter of choice. Some people even buy expensive dogs just because they love the dog. Not for security, not for breeding. They just see it and buy it.
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by ceasare: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2019
vincentjk:

If you think the local dog could do all a foreign breed can then no need for all these long convo. Go get yourself a cultural dog as you called it period.

Na harmless question if u hv an answer let's hv it
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by vincentjk(m): 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2019
ceasare:

Na harmless question if u hv an answer let's hv it

I don't think my answer was harmful either smiley
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by Melchizelite(m): 1:03pm On Sep 11, 2019
vincentjk:

leash and collar-6k

bravo
Re: Why Are Puppies So Expensive by MrrKay(m): 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2019
Thumbs up Bro.

(1) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan, Avms Dog Show 2015. / On A Scale Of 0-10 Please Rate This Cutie Caucasian Puppyyyy / Trusted Product To Protect Your Pet From Fleas,ticks 4years Guarantee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.