Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,506,696 members, 5,707,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 July 2020 at 12:22 AM

Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO (1739 Views)

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by Olu317(m): 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2019
ImperialYoruba:
In addition, I should let you know that any monarchy in Nigeria that coronates with sword has Yoruba roots.

In Africa, the throne of kingdoms are symbolized by SPEAR. When a King coronates he is handed a Spear. Cultures that do not have kingdoms or empires have MACHETTE. Go through African history and review the history of the ancient kingdoms and empires and you will see this commonality amongst all - the symbol of spear or machette.

There are exceptions.

Yoruba kingdoms and Empires coronate with swords. There is a history behind this. This is not the thread to tell it.

Never for once have I taken time to research this peculiar information on sword of Yoruba and African Spear. What does this mean? You actually brought a goldmine information that its worth is priceless. Yeshua bless you abundantly, imperialYoruba

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by Kdon2(m): 6:18pm On Apr 28
otipoju:
You are not just feeling fine, you are actually not alright.

Anybody can claim anything.

grin grin grin
Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by gregyboy(m): 9:36pm On Apr 28
I just laff while reading comments

Small benin when nor even pass 7 local govt is always arguing with two big tribe igbo and yoruba almost all the time, what these big tribe always do is to try to belittle the benin influence over them......

If only other south south or even other part of edo can join hands, and help the benin people fight for its rightful history, there will be no more call for distortion of history from the two big tribe
Anymore
Jeez,

The two big tribe try to make benin influence over
Them look more like social-economic relationships and not necessarily subjugation

grin grin grin

Even the Europeans recorded there was no time benin ceased from fighting wars they were always in combat fighting either eternal or external war even the oba was once a warrior king

Again

The op aim was to exclude her tribe from benin influence only that she forgot to read her history properly, owo&, benin were like five and six in the past and even the duke of my village lost his life in the benin and owo war in the past, and as a result the stool still remain vacant till date

Although it is interesting seeing a 7local govt area arguing with the two big tribe if the benins were not colonized on time maybe it influenced would have stretch to the north

And the benins will be faced arguing with the 3 big tribe

All Benins should be proud because even till date benins have been moving the affairs of nigeria foward despite thier 7local govt area they have......
Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by AreaFada2: 12:53am On Apr 29
funmijoyb:
Pardon my grammatical blunders I'm not feeling fine grin
My dear, Owo at some point paid tribute. Proper Owo history doesn't even deny this. But mostly Owo and Benin saw each other as brothers.

True Owo was always much more autonomous. Never really strict tribute conditions as imposed on others. Many towns near Owo happily admit their mostly Benin links and Origin. Like Ipele/Upele, only 15km from Owo who admit being largely descendants of Oba Ozolua of Benin.

Cultural flow was mutual too between Owo and Benin. And of course marriages between royalties and nobility both ways.

If you listen to Orlando Owoh songs you will notice some Owo twangs in it, despite only his mother coming from Owo.

Even the monarchical system are pretty close.
Technically all of Eastern Yorubaaland was Benin sphere of influence. The rest belonged to Oyo up to North Central before the Jihadists too much territory from Oyo.

You will notice that Deji Arakale did not run to Owo in 1818. He knew no chance of protection there. Even the Ewi of Ado sent him packing quickly too

Note that Benin Empire was from 1440 to 1897. Growing and shrinking at times. Like Lagos lost to the British in 1850s. While Oyo empire was from 1680s to about 1830s. A much shorter period. A period of slave trade boom too.

As for Ife conquering everywhere, such are not recognised in Benin or Oyo. Both empires respect and admired fellow conquerors. Even Modakeke people next door to Ife would doubt such Ife conquest story.

I straddle both Owo and Benin so nothing to gain putting one above another.

1 Like

Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by gregyboy(m): 2:59am On Apr 29
AreaFada2:

My dear, Owo at some point paid tribute. Proper Owo history doesn't even deny this. But mostly Owo and Benin saw each other as brothers.

True Owo was always much more autonomous. Never really strict tribute conditions as imposed on others. Many towns near Owo happily admit their mostly Benin links and Origin. Like Ipele/Upele, only 15km from Owo who admit being largely descendants of Oba Ozolua of Benin.

Cultural flow was mutual too between Owo and Benin. And of course marriages between royalties and nobility both ways.

If you listen to Orlando Owoh songs you will notice some Owo twangs in it, despite only his mother coming from Owo.

Even the monarchical system are pretty close.
Technically all of Eastern Yorubaaland was Benin sphere of influence. The rest belonged to Oyo up to North Central before the Jihadists too much territory from Oyo.

You will notice that Deji Arakale did not run to Owo in 1818. He knew no chance of protection there. Even the Ewi of Ado sent him packing quickly too

Note that Benin Empire was from 1440 to 1897. Growing and shrinking at times. Like Lagos lost to the British in 1850s. While Oyo empire was from 1680s to about 1830s. A much shorter period. A period of slave trade boom too.

As for Ife conquering everywhere, such are not recognised in Benin or Oyo. Both empires respect and admired fellow conquerors. Even Modakeke people next door to Ife would doubt such Ife conquest story.

I straddle both Owo and Benin so nothing to gain putting one above another.

You tried to be meek but you shyes from the truth

We conquered them and brought the rebellious kings head to benin
Re: Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO by AreaFada2: 7:27am On Apr 29
gregyboy:

You tried to be meek but you shyes from the truth

We conquered them and brought the rebellious kings head to benin

I am just given what I feel is a fair account. Arakale's head was brought to Benin after out of fear, Arinjale of Uhen delivered him to chief Ezomo, Benin's chief field commander/general.

Obi of Obulukwu/ Ogioboro's head was brought to Benin by Ezomo n'Uti too. It didn't matter where in the empire an overt rebellion happened. The king's head was taken.

Mind you it was when such rebellion led to deaths of Benin people, imperial citizens or their allies or otherwise constitute what would be called treason in Western system. Or a capital crime. Like Arakale killing Benin emissary Osague or Ogioboro killing Adesua, daughter of Ezomo n'Uti.

By and large alliance and coming into Benin fold was the main first strategy in expansion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did/will You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? / What Do They Call Twins In Your Tribe: Let's Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.