Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,500 members, 7,801,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

What You Must Know About Toothwear - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Must Know About Toothwear (21483 Views)

The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know / Dental Veneers - The Many Advantages You Must Know! / 27 Basic Myths About HIV/AIDS You Must Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Must Know About Toothwear by Dentalgist: 1:30pm On Sep 09, 2019
Enamel is the thin outer covering of the tooth. This tough shell is the hardest tissue in the human body. Enamel covers the crown which is the part of the tooth that’s visible outside of the gums.

Because enamel is translucent, you can see light through it. But the main portion of the tooth, the dentin, is the part that’s responsible for your tooth color — whether white, off white, grey, or yellowish.

Sometimes coffee, tea, cola, red wine, fruit juices, and cigarettes stain the enamel on your teeth. Regular visits to your dentist for routine cleaning and polishing can help remove most surface stains and make sure your teeth stay healthy.

What does tooth enamel do?
Enamel helps protect your teeth from daily use such as chewing, biting, crunching, and grinding. Although enamel is a hard protector of teeth, it can chip and crack. Enamel also insulates the teeth from potentially painful temperatures and chemicals.

Unlike a broken bone that can be repaired by the body, once a tooth chips or breaks, the damage is done forever. Because enamel has no living cells, the body cannot repair chipped or cracked enamel.

What causes Toothwear?

Toothwear can be caused by the following:

1. Excessive soft drink consumption (high levels of phosphoric and citric acids)

2. Soft drinks
3. Fruit drinks (some acids in fruit drinks are more erosive than battery acid)

4. Dry mouth or low salivary flow (xerostomia)

5. Dry mouth
6. Diet (high in sugar and starches)

7. Acid Reflux disease (GERD)

8. Gastric reflux
9. Gastrointestinal problems
10. Medications (aspirin, antihistamines )

11. Genetics (inherited conditions)

12. Environmental factors (friction, wear and tear, stress, and corrosion)

What are the environmental causes of tooth surface erosion?

Friction, wear and tear, stress, and corrosion (or any combination of these actions) can cause erosion of the tooth surface. More clinical terms used to describe these mechanisms include:

Attrition. This is natural tooth-to-tooth friction that happens when you clench or grind your teeth such as with bruxism, which often occurs involuntary during sleep.

Abrasion. This is physical wear and tear of the tooth surface that happens with brushing teeth too hard, improper flossing, biting on hard objects (such as fingernails, bottle caps, or pens), or chewing tobacco.

Cervical Abrasion
Abfraction. This occurs from stress fractures in the tooth such as cracks from flexing or bending of the tooth.

Erosion. This occurs chemically when acidic content hits the tooth surface such as with certain medications like aspirin or vitamin C, tablets, highly acidic foods, GERD, and frequent vomiting from bulimia or alcoholism.

Erosion
More findings show bulimia as a cause of enamel erosion and tooth decay. Bulimia is an eating disorder that’s associated with binge eating and vomiting, a source of acid. Frequent vomiting erodes tooth enamel and can lead to cavities.

Saliva plays a key role in keeping teeth healthy and strong. Not only does saliva increase the health of the body tissues, it protects enamel by coating the teeth in protective calcium and other minerals. Saliva also dilutes erosive agents such as acid, removes waste material from the mouth, and boosts protective substances that help fight mouth bacteria and disease.

In a healthy mouth, calcium-rich saliva helps strengthen teeth, even if you drink an acidic soda or juice. Yet when you go overboard and ingest a lot of acidic foods and beverages, this strengthening process on the teeth no longer occurs.

Does plaque cause enamel erosion?
Plaque is a sticky film made up of saliva, food particles, bacteria, and other substances. Plaque forms between your teeth and gets inside tiny holes or pits in the molars. It also gets around your cavity fillings and next to the gum line where the teeth and gums meet.

Sometimes the bacteria in plaque changes food starches into acids. When this happens, the acids in plaque start to eat away at the healthy minerals in the tooth enamel. This causes the enamel to wear down and become pitted. Over time, the pits in the enamel increase and grow in size.

What are the signs of Tooth Wear?
The signs of tooth wear can vary, depending on the stage. Some signs may include:

1. Sensitivity. Certain foods (sweets) and temperatures of foods (hot or cold) may cause a twinge of pain in the early stage of enamel erosion.

2. Discoloration. As the enamel erodes and more dentin is exposed, the teeth may appear yellow.

3. Cracks and chips. The edges of teeth become more rough, irregular, and jagged as enamel erodes.

4. Severe, painful sensitivity. In later stages of enamel erosion, teeth become extremely sensitive to temperatures and sweets. You may feel a painful jolt that takes your breath away.

5. Cupping. Indentations appear on the surface of the teeth.

When enamel erodes, the tooth is more susceptible to cavities or tooth decay. When the tooth decay enters the hard enamel, it has entry to the main body of the tooth.

Small cavities may cause no problems at first. But as cavities grow and penetrate the tooth, they can affect the tiny nerve fibers, resulting in an extremely painful abscess or infection.

How do you prevent tooth wear?

To prevent enamel loss and keep teeth healthy, be sure to brush, floss, and rinse with a fluoride and antiseptic mouthwash daily. See your dentist every six months for regular checkups and cleaning. You can also try the following:

1. Eliminate highly acidic foods and drinks from your diet such as carbonated sodas, lemons, and other citrus fruits and juices. Rinse your mouth immediately with clear water after eating acidic foods or drinking acidic drinks.
Use a straw when you drink acidic drinks. The straw pushes the liquid to the back of your mouth, avoiding your teeth.

2. Monitor snacks. Snacking throughout the day increases the chance of tooth decay. The mouth is acidic for a few hours after eating foods high in sugar and starches. Avoid snacking unless you’re able to rinse your mouth and brush teeth.

3. Chew sugar-free gum between meals. Chewing gum boosts saliva production up to 10 times the normal flow. Saliva helps strengthen teeth with important minerals. Be sure to select sugar-free gum with xylitol, which is shown to reduce acids in beverages and foods.
Drink more water throughout the day if you have low saliva volume or dry-mouth

4. Use fluoride toothpaste . Fluoride strengthens teeth, so make sure fluoride is listed as an ingredient in your toothpaste.

5. Ask your dentist if sealants may be helpful in preventing enamel erosion and tooth decay.

How is tooth enamel loss treated?

Treatment of tooth enamel loss depends on the problem. Sometimes tooth bonding is used to protect the tooth and increase cosmetic appearance.

If the enamel loss is significant, the dentist may recommend covering the tooth with a crown or veneer. The crown may protect the tooth from further decay.

https://dentalgist.ng/what-you-must-know-about-toothwear

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Ginaz(f): 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Ewwww. Ugly teeth

8 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by AroOkigbo(m): 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
We learn everyday. That's why I still visit Nairaland.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by itsik(m): 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Wow, this sire looks scary.

By the way, who's in for a year end get together in port harcourt?*
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by nairamaniac: 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Wonderful

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Nice202: 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Tecno LA7 for sell in Kaduna
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Flexherbal(m): 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Thanks for the info!
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by opalu: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2019
Ok
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Naijjablog(m): 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2019
Does giving head affect t..
Lemme just keep quite

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by mjabdulk: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2019
very educative.
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by nabegibeg: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2019
Dentalgist:
Enamel is the thin outer covering of the tooth. This tough shell is the hardest tissue in the human body. Enamel covers the crown which is the part of the tooth that’s visible outside of the gums.

Because enamel is translucent, you can see light through it. But the main portion of the tooth, the dentin, is the part that’s responsible for your tooth color — whether white, off white, grey, or yellowish.

Sometimes coffee, tea, cola, red wine, fruit juices, and cigarettes stain the enamel on your teeth. Regular visits to your dentist for routine cleaning and polishing can help remove most surface stains and make sure your teeth stay healthy.

Enamel helps protect your teeth from daily use such as chewing, biting, crunching, and grinding. Although enamel is a hard protector of teeth, it can chip and crack. Enamel also insulates the teeth from potentially painful temperatures and chemicals.

Unlike a broken bone that can be repaired by the body, once a tooth chips or breaks, the damage is done forever. Because enamel has no living cells, the body cannot repair chipped or cracked enamel.

What causes Toothwear?

1. Excessive soft drink consumption (high levels of phosphoric and citric acids)

2. Soft drinks

5. Dry mouth

8. Gastric reflux

Friction, wear and tear, stress, and corrosion (or any combination of these actions) can cause erosion of the tooth surface. More clinical terms used to describe these mechanisms include:

Attrition. This is natural tooth-to-tooth friction that happens when you clench or grind your teeth such as with bruxism, which often occurs involuntary during sleep.

Abrasion. This is physical wear and tear of the tooth surface that happens with brushing teeth too hard, improper flossing, biting on hard objects (such as fingernails, bottle caps, or pens), or chewing tobacco.

Cervical Abrasion
Abfraction. This occurs from stress fractures in the tooth such as cracks from flexing or bending of the tooth.

Erosion. This occurs chemically when acidic content hits the tooth surface such as with certain medications like aspirin or vitamin C, tablets, highly acidic foods, GERD, and frequent vomiting from bulimia or alcoholism.

Erosion
More findings show bulimia as a cause of enamel erosion and tooth decay. Bulimia is an eating disorder that’s associated with binge eating and vomiting, a source of acid. Frequent vomiting erodes tooth enamel and can lead to cavities.

Saliva plays a key role in keeping teeth healthy and strong. Not only does saliva increase the health of the body tissues, it protects enamel by coating the teeth in protective calcium and other minerals. Saliva also dilutes erosive agents such as acid, removes waste material from the mouth, and boosts protective substances that help fight mouth bacteria and disease.

In a healthy mouth, calcium-rich saliva helps strengthen teeth, even if you drink an acidic soda or juice. Yet when you go overboard and ingest a lot of acidic foods and beverages, this strengthening process on the teeth no longer occurs.

Plaque is a sticky film made up of saliva, food particles, bacteria, and other substances. Plaque forms between your teeth and gets inside tiny holes or pits in the molars. It also gets around your cavity fillings and next to the gum line where the teeth and gums meet.

Sometimes the bacteria in plaque changes food starches into acids. When this happens, the acids in plaque start to eat away at the healthy minerals in the tooth enamel. This causes the enamel to wear down and become pitted. Over time, the pits in the enamel increase and grow in size.

The signs of tooth wear can vary, depending on the stage. Some signs may include:

1. Sensitivity. Certain foods (sweets) and temperatures of foods (hot or cold) may cause a twinge of pain in the early stage of enamel erosion.

2. Discoloration. As the enamel erodes and more dentin is exposed, the teeth may appear yellow.

3. Cracks and chips. The edges of teeth become more rough, irregular, and jagged as enamel erodes.

4. Severe, painful sensitivity. In later stages of enamel erosion, teeth become extremely sensitive to temperatures and sweets. You may feel a painful jolt that takes your breath away.

When enamel erodes, the tooth is more susceptible to cavities or tooth decay. When the tooth decay enters the hard enamel, it has entry to the main body of the tooth.

Small cavities may cause no problems at first. But as cavities grow and penetrate the tooth, they can affect the tiny nerve fibers, resulting in an extremely painful abscess or infection.

To prevent enamel loss and keep teeth healthy, be sure to brush, floss, and rinse with a fluoride and antiseptic mouthwash daily. See your dentist every six months for regular checkups and cleaning. You can also try the following:

1. Eliminate highly acidic foods and drinks from your diet such as carbonated sodas, lemons, and other citrus fruits and juices. Rinse your mouth immediately with clear water after eating acidic foods or drinking acidic drinks.
Use a straw when you drink acidic drinks. The straw pushes the liquid to the back of your mouth, avoiding your teeth.

2. Monitor snacks. Snacking throughout the day increases the chance of tooth decay. The mouth is acidic for a few hours after eating foods high in sugar and starches. Avoid snacking unless you’re able to rinse your mouth and brush teeth.

3. Chew sugar-free gum between meals. Chewing gum boosts saliva production up to 10 times the normal flow. Saliva helps strengthen teeth with important minerals. Be sure to select sugar-free gum with xylitol, which is shown to reduce acids in beverages and foods.

4. Use fluoride toothpaste . Fluoride strengthens teeth, so make sure fluoride is listed as an ingredient in your toothpaste.

5. Ask your dentist if sealants may be helpful in preventing enamel erosion and tooth decay.

Treatment of tooth enamel loss depends on the problem. Sometimes tooth bonding is used to protect the tooth and increase cosmetic appearance.

If the enamel loss is significant, the dentist may recommend covering the tooth with a crown or veneer. The crown may protect the tooth from further decay.

You know get work abi
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2019
I'm suffering from toothwear too. One of my molar's eroded. I think it was caused by sugar.

I noticed it about three months ago but I haven't done anything about it yet. I could visit a dentist before the year is over.

Besides, I'm doing a brief survey on teeth whitening strips. It's a single yes or no question.

You guys could check if out. https://www.nairaland.com/5407463/quick-survey-teeth-whitening#82069041
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by sanerugwei: 5:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
Isn't toothwear what you wear on your tooth, just as footwear is what you wear on your foot . ...Many would ask...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Darkseid(m): 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2019
When I saw tooth wear, I thought it was something you wear on your teeth; just like shoes to the feet, mumu me grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by 1Sharon(f): 5:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
Ginaz:
Ewwww. Ugly teeth

Dentists are really trying. Looking at open mouths for a career
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Ojukwubucket(m): 5:46pm On Sep 09, 2019
Hello.....I want to visit a dentist here in Lagos for check up and clean up grin
Please anyone who has been to any Lagos dental clinic should please let me know the routine, bill and expectations I would get as this would be my first time to visit a dentist...any other info would come in handy ....biko
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Aarenasbaba(m): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
Someone need to see this
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by ikcid: 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2019
I was browsing this topic a few moments ago. Thanks for the information
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Kmartt(m): 6:09pm On Sep 09, 2019
Ojukwubucket:
Hello.....I want to visit a dentist here in Lagos for check up and clean up grin
Please anyone who has been to any Lagos dental clinic should please let me know the routine, bill and expectations I would get as this would be my first time to visit a dentist...any other info would come in handy ....biko

Contact me on noble4phs@gmail.com
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by starbuck(f): 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
I have uprooted 3 teeth and on going for the 4th any moment from now... I hate stress undecided

1 Like

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by joe4christ(m): 7:30pm On Sep 09, 2019
starbuck:
I have uprooted 3 teeth and on going for the 4th any moment from now... I hate stress undecided

You might soon become toothless o. You dont remove them, you treat/fix em!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 09, 2019
itsik:

People are planning on investing or leaving this hole while you are talking about spending money on frivolous activities?

I now see why most people are broke in January.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Legendguru: 8:39pm On Sep 09, 2019
hmmm
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by nzube89(m): 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2019
Dentalgist:

What causes Toothwear?

2. Soft drinks

5. Dry mouth

8. Gastric reflux

Cervical Abrasion

Erosion

please how do I stop serious toothache
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by GoldenJAT(m): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2019
itsik:

I am right here!
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by bewla(m): 9:18pm On Sep 09, 2019
ten Q
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Dentalgist: 9:41pm On Sep 09, 2019
nzube89:
please how do I stop serious toothache
Visit your dentist
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:40pm On Sep 09, 2019
Kmartt:

Contact me on noble4phs@gmail.com
Owk
Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by DipoToyo(m): 12:08am On Sep 10, 2019
grin
Security and YOU
CCTV & Surveillance Cameras
08102754724, 08128410762

Re: What You Must Know About Toothwear by Caseless: 6:43am On Sep 10, 2019

Use fluoride toothpaste . Fluoride strengthens teeth, so make sure fluoride is listed as an ingredient in your toothpaste.
But I heard fluoride is a terrible agent too . Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus: How Are Your Colleagues & Organizations Adapting To Mask Culture? / Habits That Wrecks Your Teeth / 12 Pointers You Might Have Heart Disease. Any Of These? See A Doctor ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.