Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,846 members, 7,798,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) (1201 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2019
Hello friends,
my name is Blessing Adulphus and this is my first attempt at writing a novel on nairaland.

I hope you all can support me, so we can all see this book to the end.

I appreciate constructive criticism and encouragement from readers but pessimistic and condemning attitudes will not be accepted.

Having said all that, let's get ready for the ship to start sailing...
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 8:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
SYNOPSIS:
A romance and reality tale that explores the love between two hearts, the pain and suffering of those affected by the pollution of the Niger Delta region, the pain of losing loved ones and the determination to right the wrongs done by people of authority.

But after all the struggles of life, will love eventually find it's way home or will the cold hands of death show itself?
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2019
Episode 1
"Why is the river turning black Mama?" little David asked.
Mama David looked down at her son and sadly shook her head.

Her little innocent son was becoming more aware of the problems around their environment and life in general more than his age was supposed to.

She bent down to his level and gently took his face in her hands. The sadness in her eyes was so strong that even the eight year old boy could not help but wonder why his mother looked so sad.

`it's because of the white man son,mama David replied. `it is the white man who came to our land in search of the liquid black gold called crude oil and went further to pollute our lands and water, not minding the fact that our source of food and water were destroyed in the process.

After explaining this to her son, Mama David felt a strong sadness deep in her heart as she remembered her late husband, Papa David, who died of water poisoning due to the level of water pollution the oil seepage in the river caused.
TBC
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 10:20pm On Sep 09, 2019
CONTD...
`Also son, Mama David continued, the white man was not the only one responsible for the destruction of our environment, but our own leaders and those in authority are also to blame. They embezzle money meant for developmental projects in order to better the lives of the people, collect bribes and turn a blind eye to the suffering of the people'.

After saying all these, Mama David could not help the feeling of resentment that arose in her heart for the white man for taking away the love of her life from her. Papa David was the only man she ever loved but the white man took away his life when she was least prepared for it.

`Why did the white man do this Mama?' David's voice brought his mother back from memory lane. `Because he is wicked, selfish and greedy' his mother replied. `He is the reason why your father died, he is also the reason why we are going through so much pain and suffering now and if you are in any position to do such, you must make sure that they go through the same pains they...
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 10:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
CONTD...
made us go through'. David nodded slowly and even though he barely understood all what his mother said, he kept that discussion with his mother in the deepest part of his heart,to be remembered throughout his life.

`Come on son, let's go home before it gets dark, Mama David said as she stood back up and holding David's hand, started the walk back home, along the bush path.
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Mystiquefia: 12:15am On Apr 30, 2020
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by silverlinen(m): 11:06pm On Feb 19, 2022
But why you no come continue na?
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Maurlupo(f): 1:26pm On Feb 23, 2022
Hungry for more.....
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 9:43am On Feb 25, 2022
Episode 2

Kate looked up to see her mother walk gracefully into her bedroom.
'Darling you're awake. How was your night?' Lady Sylvia asked while sitting on the bed.
'It was fine Mummy. Good morning'. Kate replied yawning loudly and stretching.
Lady Sylvia looked dissaprovinly at her daughter and shook her head. 'How many times will I tell you Kate that that's not how to act as a Lady?'
'Not again' Kate groaned inwardly but her mother was not done yet.
'It is very unladylike for you to yawn so loudly' Lady Sylvia scolded eyeing her.

'Sorry Mummy' Kate replied while wondering why she could not be allowed to yawn in peace. Her mother had taken it upon herself to bring up her daughter as a lady worthy of kings and princes, and so far, she had carried out that duty with zealousness.

'Anyways', Lady Sylvia began while standing up and gathering her gown around her. ' breakfast is almost ready, so dress up and come down to the dining room'.
'Oh no' Kate groaned. Going for meals in this house was one thing she disliked because her mother was so obsessed with fashion and a simple event such as going for a meal would require so much dressing up and prepping that at the end, one just lost appetite.
She remembered thinking once if Queen Elizabeth in all her glory changed clothes the way her mother did.
'So funny' she thought. Comparing her mother to the Queen of England.

'Okay Mummy, I'll be down soon'.
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 12:37pm On Feb 25, 2022

'It feels so good to be free'. Kate laughed happily while running along the road that led away from the mansion. She had always dreamt of going into the village on her own but her mother will hear none of that as she didn't want her daughter associating with "those wretched villagers" as she put it.
She saw a golden opportunity to fulfil her dream of going into the village today and she seized it with both hands.

She laughed when she remembered how she had deceived her bodyguard into believing that she was sound asleep in her bedroom. He didn't know it was her pillows and doll that were sleeping.
Running happily with the wind blowing her hair, she portrayed a picture of freedom and happiness.

Her father's mansion was built away from the main village, so she had to walk a long distance before she got to the village.

Still basking in the euphoria of her newfound freedom, she was surprised when she came upon a side road that led to a river.
Wow.. So funny. She was born in this village but didn't even know there was a river here. She walked down to the river and standing on the banks , she looked down at the water and saw some things that looked like oil floating on the water.
'How did oil get into the water?' she thought. Or did someone pour gallons of oil into the river? she wondered.

Kate was so lost in thought that she didn't notice the boy standing behind her and looking curiously at her.

'Who are you?'
Kate was so shocked to hear the voice behind her, she nearly fell into the river.
She turned to see a boy slightly taller than her and who looked to be a year or two older than her.
'You, who are you?' Kate countered after she had stilled her racing heart.
'No. I asked you first'. the boy replied
'It doesn't matter'. Kate argued. 'My Mummy says a lady is supposed to be respected. Ladies first'.

The boy chuckled and shook his head. He wondered who this girl was. She looked so pampered and stubborn. He could not remember seeing her anywhere in the village before.
'Okay, I surrender' he replied raising his hands dramatically. 'My name is David but my friends call me Dave. So Lady, please what is your name your majesty?' He asked bowing jokingly.

Kate rolled her eyes while trying not to smile.
'Don't be so dramatic naw. Anyways, my name is Katherine but everyone calls me Kate'.

'So where are you from?' David shrugged. 'cos I've not seen you before'.
'Well I'm from this village of Opokuma. You've not seen me before because I'm not allowed to go out of the house alone'.

'Hmm, so who's your father?' he asked?
'Chief Ibinabo Kosoko' she replied.
The smile on David's face immediately changed to a frown.
'Chief Ibinabo is your father?'
'Yes, what's wrong?'
David pointed at the river. 'Look behind you Kate, look at the river. That's what is wrong'.

'But what has the river got to do with my father?' Kate asked looking confused.

'Well' David started angrily, my Mama told me that your father and other of our leaders collect heavy bribes from the white men and allow them to destroy our lands and rivers with their careless and insensitive drilling of the crude oil while they live in their mansions.
My father died from water poisoning, our crops are dieing, our fishes are dieing, our people are dieing. All because of your greedy father and other leaders of our land'. David finished while wiping a tear from his eye.

Kate looked like she was going to cry.
'I'm so sorry about your father. I always knew my dad was not a good man but I didn't know it was to this extent.'
David walked to her and patted her on the back. 'Don't worry about it. It's not your fault'.

'Okay, enough about that'. David said looking at Kate mischievously. 'Let's play a game of hide and seek. I know I'll win anyway'.

'You wish' Kate laughed.
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 4:09pm On Feb 25, 2022
silverlinen
Maurlupo
Mystiquefia
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Maurlupo(f): 11:03am On Feb 26, 2022
Thanks for the update ma'am

1 Like

Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by silverlinen(m): 12:52am On Feb 28, 2022
Oh madam, i don show
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 11:54pm On Feb 28, 2022
silverlinen post=u110613992:
Oh madam, i don show
Welcome oga grin
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Blesstar(f): 11:54pm On Feb 28, 2022
Maurlupo:
Thanks for the update ma'am
Uwc
Re: Love In The Niger Delta. (A Novel By Blessing Adulphus) by Mystiquefia: 5:51pm On Mar 09, 2022
grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Colour It White! / Help Needed Pls! / Intuition, Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.