Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Life in Beijing As an International Student. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life in Beijing As an International Student. (80331 Views)

Cost Of Living In Australia: 5 Things You Must Know As An International Student / China Completes It's £9 Billion Mega Airport In Beijing After 4 Years (Photos) / Beijing Daxing International Airport: Making Of World Largest, Biggest Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by KendrickAyomide: 8:18am On Sep 12, 2019
tohyorsih2:

It's fine thanks.

Hope the heat is not too much in your side
madam when are you opening your China thread.

2 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 12, 2019
KendrickAyomide:
madam when are you opening your China thread.

I'll open it whenever february gets to 31st angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 12, 2019
Hadampson:

No, you are just at the right time wink

Come and sit beside me jawe cheesy

I'm seated cool

4 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Trenton: 8:26am On Sep 12, 2019
we here now

3 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Hadampson(m): 8:59am On Sep 12, 2019
tohyorsih2:

I'll open it whenever february gets to 31st angry

Savage grin grin

1 Like

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 12, 2019
Hadampson:

Savage grin grin

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2019
tohyorsih2:

It's fine thanks.

Hope the heat is not too much in your side

It was extreme last week. But it is getting cooler now.
Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 12:43pm On Sep 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
To those who have worked with Chinese and Indians in Nigeria before, we all believe they are the worst set of people to have as boss.

Infact in one interview I went for in Nigeria, one guy on hearing that the company is managed by Indians left without even doing the interview.

3 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 12:56pm On Sep 12, 2019
But here they seem to be more nice and less arrogant. The picture below is a Chinese guy that helped me with my luggage to my school. Dont mind me, I ought to take taxi from the airport directly to the school, instead took a bus. Why?

20 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Hadampson(m): 1:22pm On Sep 12, 2019
FA13:
But here they seem to be more nice and less arrogant. The picture below is a Chinese guy that helped me with my luggage to my school. Dont mind me, I ought to take taxi from the airport directly to the school, instead took a bus. Why?

Cool... Do you speak mandarin??

3 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 7:15am On Sep 13, 2019
Hadampson:

Cool... Do you speak mandarin??
Nope

1 Like

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 7:28am On Sep 13, 2019
I bought a sim card at the airport 150 rmb, like 7500 naira, with some calling credit and 4 gig browsing subscriptions for a month. Needs to be recharged every month at 50rmb.

However in the city, I bought another sim card 300rmb. It come with 2 years calling credit and 30 gig 4G data and unlimited 3G data if the 4G is exhausted every month. No need to buy data or recharge it. It came with a phone as gift. You cannot use it to call international number however.
Which is better?

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Hadampson(m): 7:59am On Sep 13, 2019
FA13:
I bought a sim card at the airport 150 rmb, like 7500 naira, with some calling credit and 4 gig browsing subscriptions for a month. Needs to be recharged every month at 50rmb.

However in the city, I bought another sim card 300rmb. It come with 2 years calling credit and 30 gig 4G data and unlimited 3G data if the 4G is exhausted every month. No need to buy data or recharge it. It came with a phone as gift. You cannot use it to call international number however.
Which is better?

The second one smiley

22 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Hadampson(m): 8:02am On Sep 13, 2019
FA13:

Nope

How did you communicate with the Chinese boy??

I'm just curious o smiley

4 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Flyingngel(m): 8:08am On Sep 13, 2019
Come and complete this your story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Davidson5(m): 9:28am On Sep 13, 2019
First of all, congratulations. I'm curious, what's the rate of data deduction over there. Please, I would like to know.. since MTN and co are just raping us here. Thank you
FA13:

Which is better?

7 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by tiptoe1: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2019
FA13:

Which is better?

The second one is better.
Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2019
Hadampson:

How did you communicate with the Chinese boy??

I'm just curious o smiley

I showed him the address of the place I was going (in chinese).
Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2019
Davidson5:
First of all, congratulations. I'm curious, what's the rate of data deduction over there. Please, I would like to know.. since MTN and co are just raping us here. Thank you
Thanks.

I didnot however calculate the rate as it is not really necessary. Data is close to being unlimited.
Though I have connectivity issue at times but was told it is because of the phone from another country I am using.

5 Likes

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by BiggerbossAmani(m): 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2019
Nice thread

So much believe 3yrs from now I will tell my own story.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2019
BiggerbossAmani:
Nice thread

So much believe 3yrs from now I will tell my own story.
Amen

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 5:14pm On Sep 13, 2019
Different means of transportation in the city.
Fist pics. Double decker bus like UK.
Second bus: Long bus like small train
Third pics: Commonest means of transport.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by themaestro08(m): 9:02pm On Sep 13, 2019
A great thread!. I am enjoying every bit. However, what culture shock did you experience as a black person?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:08pm On Sep 13, 2019
China has gone so far. To think a Chinese youth of my age grew up seeing massive development and infrastructure change while my African mates just kept on seeing chaos on chaos lipsrsealed

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Gerrard59(m): 11:18pm On Sep 13, 2019
I appreciate the effort you put into narrating the process to applying for the scholarship. Most Nigerians wouldn't do same (I've had enough experiences which made me say such).

Kudos.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 2:49pm On Sep 14, 2019
It is night here. Bright light everywhere.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by BiggerbossAmani(m): 3:59pm On Sep 14, 2019
FA13:
It is night here. Bright light everywhere.
boss enjoy your life

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 7:14pm On Sep 14, 2019
themaestro08:
A great thread!. I am enjoying every bit. However, what culture shock did you experience as a black person?

Culture Shock!

No doubt, the place is very different from our country especially places like Lagos, I was not really shocked because I have always longed for a place like this. I find it hard to cope in Lagos. I however enjoyed my stay in Abuja for the small time I spent visiting. I will list some difference though.

Food.
This is my biggest challenge right now. I am finding it hard to adjust to the cuisine. Thank God I brought some food along. Though some of the food are close to ours, majority are wide apart. There are African foods market too too but expensive. The meal below is egg in soup and fried potato.

Safety and security.
The place really looks safe and serene. You do not need to be over-careful or watchful. A lot of young Chinese use their phones while working on the road without any car hitting them, no car blares horn anyhow like that too.

I ordered stuff online, it was dropped at the entrance. There is no fear that someone will steal it in most cases.

However the most challenging situation faced by all is the language barrier. Most dont understand nor speak English except you are in an international environment.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by talkless78: 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2019
How about Chinese language schools enquiries

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by Lens101: 11:48pm On Sep 14, 2019
FA13:
Applying

As it is with any university application process in any country, the search for school to attend will have to be intensive and factors to consider varies with individuals. This includes:

1. School having your intended program and faculties in your chosen research areas so as not to have problem with choosing supervisors.

2. Choice of university location: International environment like Beijing and Shanghai- very expensive though, cheaper areas in the Northern side but with few people who speaks English.

3. Weather: Colder in the North while more temperate in the Southern part.

4. Ranking of schools: The elite schools- C9, or Project 211 or 985 universities. The Elite universities like Tsinghua, Peking, Zhejiang, Fudan and Shanghai Jiao Tong University will be more competitive so you will need to make your application highly attractive.

There are various modes of application that the schools adopt:
1. Online application only
2. Online application and posting the same paper document to the school’s admission office in China.
3. Paper submission to admission office only.

You need to check the method used by the school you are applying to. This was one of the criteria for me as I wanted to apply to schools that have only online application majorly as I do not want to spend extra amount on sending of the documents through courier services like DHL and FEDEX.

However if you want to apply to schools that request for paper application and do not want to spend excess money you can post your documents through NIPOST office especially at the Lagos International Airport. You can ask for their international exchange centre there or send it to the place from any other location. It takes roughly 1 month for it to be delivered to your school (though they will tell you it will take 2 weeks) so plan in advance.

Documents Needed.

The documents needed for application both on the CSC portal and school portal is as stated below. Some schools have more while others have less.

1. Statement of Purpose: One of the most important documents that need to be submitted and must be carefully prepared. This will separate two candidates with seemingly same or similar profile. This is what you use to sell yourself to the admission committee and your potential supervisor of what you want to bring to the table and contribute. It must show your passion about the field you want to be admitted to and be related to your supervisor’s research areas. Maximum of 2 pages is enough except otherwise stated.

2. English Language Proficiency test: This is for those who want to have their study in English language. IELTS and TOEFL are usually required. However a letter from your university called Letter of English Proficiency ascertaining that your previous programme was in English is sufficient to meet the requirement.

3. Two Recommendation Letters: From a Professor (Associate or Assistant). Most schools allow you to upload the letters yourself.

4. International passport

5. Degree Certificates – usually the notarized copy.
Notarized means it is signed and stamped by a notary public ( a lawyer). You can get this done in any court for like 500-1000 naira per page or bargain if you have many to notarize.
Note: It is the photocopy that will be notarized.

6. Transcript – notarized copy also.

7. O-Level result- notarized.

8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form- All students (all visitors) to china need to do medical test to ascertain healthy condition. It is to be done in a government hospital with all results attached. A link to download the form is usually in every school’s admission website. It can also be downloaded from https://www.visaforchina.org/MEL_EN/generalinformation/downloads/270951.shtml

9. Supervisor Acceptance Letter: A letter of acceptance of supervision from a professor is highly important. If it is not gotten before initial review, it must be gotten before final admission especially for scholarship students. Only candidates from bilateral program form of the CSC may be granted the scholarship without a supervisor.

10. Scholarship Application form (For scholarship applicants): This will be downloaded or printed after you have successfully filled the form on the scholarship website be it CGS or provincial scholarships. The scholarship form will be filled first before applying to the school because of this reason.

11. Resume.

Thanks, as for recommendation letter, can't we use that of a lecturer instead of a professor/assisitant. the profs in my school back in the days are not approachable. have 3 lecturer that can give me recommendationsletter
Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 8:34am On Sep 15, 2019
Lens101:

Thanks, as for recommendation letter, can't we use that of a lecturer instead of a professor/assisitant. the profs in my school back in the days are not approachable. have 3 lecturer that can give me recommendationsletter

It depends on your school. But most lecturers outside Nigeria are given assistant professor once they have a PhD. So get a Dr. at least.
Also, most of our professors are as you have narrated. But as a graduate student some are nicer than they look in school.
There was a professor in my department that you can't just go and meet during my school days. Someone however told me to meet him for reference. You will be surprised with the readiness he helped me write it. He would even call or text me to supply any info needed.
So u dont have anything to lose by contacting them. The worst that can happen is he would not respond and you might be surprised like me!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life in Beijing As an International Student. by FA13(m): 8:35am On Sep 15, 2019
talkless78:
How about Chinese language schools enquiries
I dont get your question.
Hut I think Chinese language program are one year. Some are 6 months.

Also some have scholarships too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / Good Beach: The Newest Beach In Lagos (Stunning Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.