Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Coding Looks Cool. - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Coding Looks Cool. (18623 Views)

CODELAGOS: 337 Schools To Participate In Coding Competition / Learn Coding For Free, With Microverse, Pay The Tuition When You Start Earning. / Do We Have Coding Bootcamps In Nigeria? / Faster Way To Learn Web Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 7:00pm On Dec 02, 2019
OutOfTheAshes:

Will it run when num = -3

Is it that you don't want it to run negative values??
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2019
Grandlord:
Nice one bro. I didn't learn about this end= keyword though. I guess I'll have to go read it up. smiley

It add the previous line to the new line
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 7:05pm On Dec 02, 2019
Bossgem:

Ok. Thank you. I will go over your code. The thing is the chapter I'm reading is on for loop, so I'm expected to use only my knowledge of for loop to solve the exercises. I'm using a book, practical introduction to python. I have attached a screenshot of the book—that's what I'm using to study.

This book is quite interesting. I downloaded it today. Thumbs up.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 8:40pm On Dec 02, 2019
Maskyy:

It add the previous line to the new line
Sure. I found that out.

I'm trying to draw all the alphabets using the for loop. The logic is really challenging but I enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 10:01am On Dec 03, 2019
ArrayBen:
Sure. I found that out.

I'm trying to draw all the alphabets using the for loop. The logic is really challenging but I enjoy it.

Keep the work up bro.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 10:04am On Dec 03, 2019
You can change the name of the Person you're quoting.... Just change the authors name. grin

Playing around NL.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 03, 2019
Bossgem:

Yes, that's why I like the book.
which book sir ?
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 2:43pm On Dec 03, 2019
Maskyy:
You can change the name of the Person you're quoting.... Just change the authors name. grin

Playing around NL.
I'm ArrayBen? I didn't even get a mention grin

That's a vulnerability, don't you think?

1 Like

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Maskyy(m): 6:37pm On Dec 15, 2019
Why Angular?
Angular has a lot of interesting points and a vision that few other frameworks have. It has been designed for the Web of tomorrow, with ECMAScript 6, Web Components and Mobile in mind.
it’s not just a fun application, it’s a complete one. You’ll have to write components, forms, tests, use the router, call an HTTP API (that we have already built) and even do Web Sockets. It has all the pieces you’ll need for writing a real app.

This is for web developers (Beginner and intermediate) who intend to learn, easily understand and use Angular framework and its environment for both frontend and backend projects. You can get a well-packed, well explained and projects(including one full-stack project) ebook at an affordable price.

what to expect in the ebook
You’ll learn:
• Using the Angular CLI to quickly create a front-end project, generating components, pipes, directives, and services, etc..
• Using Angular router for routing and navigation.
• Build and submit forms( reactive and template-based approaches).
• Build professional-grade UIs with Angular Material.

contact me @ 07016543752 / bennytechno1@gmail.com

Even if you are not convinced by Angular in the end, I’m pretty sure you will have learnt a thing or two along your read.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2019
Bossgem:

Thank you! A friend of mine helped me figure it out yesterday. Thanks again.
Compliments. smiley

How's it going with the exercises?

Have you found out any new resources (books/videos) that can help explain the important steps of problem solving?
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Bossgem: 8:39am On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:
Compliments. smiley

How's it going with the exercises?

Have you found out any new resources (books/videos) that can help explain the important steps of problem solving?

Hello, thanks the mention and compliments of the season. I got caught up at work so took a break for a while. But I'm back to coding. I was advised to focus on data science, so that's what I'm doing. Using dataquest.io
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 10:06am On Dec 28, 2019
crownedrookie:

Lol bro for you to be asking me DID you learn any framework, most probably you're caught up in tutorial haven. Also for you to be saying you started python in September and now u are ZOOMING past JavaScript. Its not about learning my man, its about implementation.
To answer your question, no. I am currently with a self taught programmer who started in 2017 and is currently earning almost 400k monthly and he is the one who advised me against the whole speed learning pit most beginners tend to fall in, so I back-tracked and took it slow. I am very happy with the results.
You seem like a serious chap though. We could hook up and work on a project together in a month or so.. What do you say?
Meeehn. 400K
Please let's connect on whatsapp so we can share ideas.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 10:16am On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:
grin

Bro the part you said you were building a website got me. Most web developers mostly use frameworks for their projects and that makes sense. That's why I asked you what frameworks you've learnt . Except maybe you're using a CMS.

Tutorial haven lol. I'm very impatient and when I'm not seeing practical application of things I learn, I get disinterested pretty fast. I had to get so strict with myself to sit down and learn python basics because many devs on reddit advised to learn the basics thoroughly . I wanted to jump to projects and applications. grin

Now I'm done with python basics and I'm working on a web app with Django framework and also a data project for a chartered accountant relative, using pandas and tabula-py libraries.

So I had looked at HTML and CSS and they were pretty straightforward and easy. I didn't want to build a static website though because I needed to add some functionalities and also make it interactive.

So I moved to JS basics and found out it is the same pattern as python (arrays are lists, objects are dictionaries, functions are the same, etc), I got bored, that's why I'm moving faster so I can get to the actual application and functionality of the language because all that matters is the ability to utilize these technologies to solve real life problems and boost your portfolio, so no tutorial haven my guy grin.

Sure why not? I've got a couple of ideas I can't wait to start working on. cool

I'm a beginner like you. But I feel you're “rush learning”... Try to master one language firstly before heading to the next.

Consistency breeds mastery.

Can we connect on whatsapp?
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 10:27am On Dec 28, 2019
Bossgem:
Hi everyone,

I've spent a long time today going through this programming section looking for help.

I want to switch careers and get started in tech. I'm unashamedly making this change because I need a good level of financial stability.

I'm a freelance writer and a mom. I started learning python because all the articles I read recommended python for beginners. I lost motivation because I don't have anyone to talk to or coach me on this journey.

I have started again from scratch. I'm using a python book to learn. I prefer the read-a-book approach. What I want is people to talk to, so I don't feel lost and stop again. I want to gain this skill and actually earn from it.

So please, can someone mentor me? Thank you guys.

Why not start out with Sololearn app.
Very user friendly with an online community to help beginners like us learn and answer any questions.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by NickyB: 11:32am On Dec 28, 2019
In my opinion, coding should be useful for yourself. For example, I managed to improve my home routers, they work better now. Same with self-written drivers for home gadgets. I managed to install a smart home system myself. Well, I read lots of articles like this before that. Only after achieving such milestones you can offer your skills to others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2019
Bossgem:

Hello, thanks the mention and compliments of the season. I got caught up at work so took a break for a while. But I'm back to coding. I was advised to focus on data science, so that's what I'm doing. Using dataquest.io

I took a break myself. It's been about 4 weeks now but I'll resume very soon. I'll check out the site. Have a great day ahead.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2019
NickyB:
In my opinion, coding should be useful for yourself. For example, I managed to improve my home routers, they work better now. Same with self-written drivers for home gadgets. I managed to install a smart home system myself. Well, I read lots of articles like this before that. Only after achieving such milestones you can offer your skills to others.
Nice one, though your link is a click bait.

1 Like

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 12:34pm On Dec 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Very user friendly with an online community to help beginners like us learn and answer any questions.
Sololearn teaches only syntax. Doesn't teach you problem-solving skills. I wouldn't recommend.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
I'm a beginner like you. But I feel you're “rush learning”... Try to master one language firstly before heading to the next.

Consistency breeds mastery.

Can we connect on whatsapp?
With the little time I've been involved in this coding stuff I've come to realize that programming isn't about the languages. Learning any language is easy, trust me. I grabbed python in just 4 weeks. The hard part is problem-solving, which requires a lot of logical thinking and creativity.

Sure, why not?
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Olakinsdotcom(m): 12:52pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:
With the little time I've been involved in this coding stuff I've come to realize that programming isn't about the languages. Learning any language is easy, trust me. I grabbed python in just 4 weeks. The hard part is problem-solving, which requires a lot of logical thinking and creativity.

Sure, why not?
please bro, can you mentor on programming am I novice that doesn't know anything about it but am willing to learn.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Bossgem: 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:

I took a break myself. It's been about 4 weeks now but I'll resume very soon. I'll check out the site. Have a great day ahead.

Alright smiley. Thank you.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Bossgem: 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:

Used sololearn when I was trying out html. But it's not a great platform for learning python. So I deleted their app.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Bossgem: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:

Sure, why not?

Have you heard of kaggle website? I read it's great for developing problem solving skills, though it tilts towards data science. Once I'm done with learning basics, I could try it out.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2019
Bossgem:

Have you heard of kaggle website? I read it's great for developing problem solving skills, though it tilts towards data science. Once I'm done with learning basics, I could try it out.
Yeah I know kaggle. It's for data science yeah. Has lots of data samples for you to download and work on. Great site. cool

You seem to know about a lot of useful learning resources. Nice one smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 2:48pm On Dec 28, 2019
Olakinsdotcom:

please bro, can you mentor on programming am I novice that doesn't know anything about it but am willing to learn.
I consider myself an amateur as it hasn't been long I started learning, myself. I'm in no position to be a mentor, my man. smiley

If you come around this section regularly though, you'd meet more experienced programmers to guide you. smiley
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 5:25pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:

Sure, why not?
I just sent you a PM
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:

Sure, why not?
What platforms do you use for the projects and problem solving skills.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 5:58pm On Dec 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
I just sent you a PM
okay I'll check now.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by TheManOfTheYear: 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:
Yeah I know kaggle. It's for data science yeah. Has lots of data samples for you to download and work on. Great site. cool

You seem to know about a lot of useful learning resources. Nice one smiley
Full URL bro
Cc. Bossgem
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Grandlord: 6:32pm On Dec 28, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
What platforms do you use for the projects and problem solving skills.
I solve problems on the book I use but you can also check out

Leetcode
Topcoder
Codingbat

cc: Bossgem

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coding Looks Cool. by Olakinsdotcom(m): 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2019
Grandlord:
I consider myself an amateur as it hasn't been long I started learning, myself. I'm in no position to be a mentor, my man. smiley

If you come around this section regularly though, you'd meet more experienced programmers to guide you. smiley
I understand baba can you please just tell me what I needed as a novice to kick-start.
Re: Coding Looks Cool. by ogorwyne(f): 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2019
Olakinsdotcom:

I understand baba can you please just tell me what I needed as a novice to kick-start.
Apart from developing interest, you would need to be focused and consistent. And oga, a lot of reading, sitting and practice is involved. Hope you can do all that? I'm a learner like you.

You could use books. Try to download these books : A Crash Course in python by Eric Matthes, Automate the boring stuff by Al ste*****. Some people use YouTube videos too Sha. Try codecademy.com if you can, w3schools, dataquest.io. While using books, always try to solve every exercise and do well to brush up everyday. smiley.
Try to go through this section thoroughly. You may find one or two threads useful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.