Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,865 members, 7,806,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says (36435 Views)

Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa / Edwin Okey Chikata Ijeoma Expelled From South Africa / Onyeama: Spent N280 Million To Evacuate Nigerians From South Africa – Air Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Citizenshelm: 11:11am On Sep 12, 2019
Nigerians repatriated from South Africa after attacks

Nigeria began repatriating more than 600 of its citizens from South Africa following a wave of deadly xenophobic attacks that frayed relations among neighbouring nations.

Private Nigerian airline Air Peace volunteered to fly people for free back to the commercial capital Lagos on Wednesday.

A flight carrying 189 Nigerians landed in the commercial capital Lagos late Wednesday, with some of those onboard punching the air and singing the national anthem while waving pictures of burnt shops.

"I ran for my life, they would have killed me," Samson Aliyu, a clothes seller who lived in South Africa for two years, told AFP news agency.

"They burnt my shop, everything," he added.

The repatriation came after riots in Pretoria and Johannesburg killed at least 12 people as 1,000 foreign-owned businesses were targeted. The nationalities of those killed have not been announced but Nigerians, Ethiopians, Congolese, and Zimbabweans were attacked, according to local media.

Pastor Ugo Ofoegbu has lived in South Africa for close to two decades. He sent his wife and three children back to Nigeria.

South African violence: Nigeria recalling top diplomat
"My family is not safe here," Ofoegbu told Al Jazeera.

Precious Oluchi Mbabie, a 35-year-old Nigerian woman who works as a fashion designer and seamstress in a Johannesburg suburb, boarded the flight with her three children, leaving her husband behind.

"We agreed that it is better I go back home with the children," said Mbabie.

She and her family live in Rosettenville, one of the first areas to be affected by the violence.

"Where we are staying is very dangerous because of xenophobia," she said. "They say they don't want any foreigners there."

Reprisal attacks in Nigeria last week forced South African business to shut down, while the South African embassy in Lagos temporarily closed its doors over safety concerns.

Not just Nigerians

More than 700 people from other countries, including Malawi and Zimbabwe, have sought refuge in community centres. Many left their homes with little more than a few bags when the violence began.

One is Mozambican Oscar Setuve, who registered for a temporary travel document to return home. He has lived in South Africa for 30 years, but lost everything in the riots.

"What made me run is that I saw how they were attacking people, attacking them like dogs. And some of the people who were attacking us were people that have known us for a long time. That's what hurts me the most," Setuve said.

Mozambique and Zimbabwe were also considering some sort of repatriation of their nationals.

Al Jazeera's Fahmida Miller, reporting from the airport in Johannesburg, said a small group was turned back because of "incorrect documentation".

Ofoegbu said they will have to go to the Nigerian consulate to get the right papers before travelling.

Police on high alert

It was not the first time that foreigners were attacked in South Africa.

In 2008, at least 62 people, including South Africans, were killed. Violence and looting targeting foreign-owned stores left seven dead in 2015.

"I am so worried about the safety of my family, because these [xenophobic] attacks keep happening, so if I don't save my family now, I don't know when [this will] start again," Ofoegbu said.

"It happened in 2008 and then in 2015, now it is repeating."

The root cause of the latest violence is still unclear, but high unemployment, poverty and criminality may have played a role.

Foreigners in South Africa fear for safety after attacks
South African officials were hesitant to describe the violence as xenophobic attacks, and instead said it was an issue of criminality that the government was trying to deal with.

"While there has been a significant decline in the number of incidents, police forces remain on high alert and are closely monitoring hotspots to ensure further violence does not erupt," Minister of Defence Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said.

Police have arrested at least 653 people, mostly South Africans but some foreigners as well, in connection to the attacks, Minister of Police Bheki Cele said.

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to visit South Africa next month to discuss the violence and seek a solution.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/09/nigeria-begins-repatriate-nationals-south-africa-190911074310949.html

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by donbachi(m): 11:21am On Sep 12, 2019
You no treat cancer wen e dey grow small small..na wen e don grow reach wen every medical options go fail.na e u wan run go see doctor...it will take only miracle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Kingpee2(m): 11:30am On Sep 12, 2019
You did well ,I’ve never for once liked the SA for anything,I’m glad they are all watching big brother naija and not big brother Africa ,now they’ll understand that we are truly the only country in Africa that has what it takes to make things happen.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by presleYzzi(m): 1:37pm On Sep 12, 2019
Glad you're safe

If we were suffering these in a white man's land, it wouldn't have been very alarming. But suffering these in the hands of SA is like a small state fighting a war with a country.

Since Nigeria has failed to live up to its name as giants of Africa, why these ones no go form under dogs?

undecided angry

8 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by mgh2: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2019
Nigerians should try and respect themselves by doing legitimate business within or outside the country.
We are not the only country in Africa continent and yet we keep experiencing rejection every now and then from other countries... isn’t that a shame?

Let us dignify ourselves and stay in our country and stop all these quest for crimes. I can tell you that upto about 75% of Nigerians in other countries are into crimes, thereby making life difficult for other Nigerians into legitimate businesses.

We act as if we are the most hustling set of people on planet earth.

16 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Chizmickey(m): 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2019
Also pray so that buhari will not kill you too

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by ikombe: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2019
Do you want to feel better, have more energy and even add years to your life?

The health benefits of regular exercise and physical activity are hard to ignore. Everyone benefits from exercise, regardless of age, sex or physical ability.

Contact me for your Exercise & Gym equipment both Home and Commercial Use

Delivery Within Lagos. Waybill outside lagos.

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by baratech: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2019
Thank God you're alive to tell this story

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by TiredLividSoul: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2019
Too bad embarassed
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by ken6488(m): 1:39pm On Sep 12, 2019
grin and MTN is still doing dataphobia here

2 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by toopoou: 1:39pm On Sep 12, 2019
eehyah so sorry
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by chigoziri2403(m): 1:40pm On Sep 12, 2019
I pray you wont end up running from SARS, BANDITS AND KIDNAPPERS here.
Brace up, life is a Miracle here

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by deolumike(m): 1:40pm On Sep 12, 2019
We really have no choice now but to put all hands on deck to make this country a place to be. That is the only option left right now for us to stem the tide of hostility Nigerians endure in foreign countries.

Nigeria must become great for OUR OWN SAKE.

See my signature

2 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by allanphash7(m): 1:41pm On Sep 12, 2019
You really played the game of *eni ori'yo o di ile* well

Inside life

Welcome home
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Bizibi(m): 1:41pm On Sep 12, 2019
Police men full their embassy today, it seems they are feeling it......
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Sonnobax15(m): 1:41pm On Sep 12, 2019
How many km did you run??.

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Timoleon(m): 1:42pm On Sep 12, 2019
undecided This is the best time to travel to SA! Flight tickets should be at an all time low.

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Najyin(m): 1:42pm On Sep 12, 2019
The safe half bread you'll earn here is better than the deadly full bread you'll get there.

2 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Enoch07: 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2019
good run. welcome back
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2019
I thought they said only Igbo get attacked in South Africa

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by PureGoldh(m): 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2019
Ok....Thank God for your life...

But Nigerian government told us that nobody knows Fe was lost in South Africa... I just don't understand those people seff.

Welcome back home bro.... God will surely provide for you all.

If you need Pure Original Honey call or whatsapp me on the number attached to my signature below

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by AroleOduduwa2: 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
As if Nigeria is a better option, most of these returning, returned because they think they will get handout.

1 Like

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by solmusdesigns: 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
undecided

Na wa

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by asgard01(m): 1:47pm On Sep 12, 2019
THE gODS R STILL SILENT ON THIS mATTER
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by nonix22(m): 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
same as they said all black foreigners there are Nigerians
be careful of what you hear
niaralandtopuser:
I thought they said only Igbo get attacked in South Africa
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by lyriclekidd(m): 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
Thank God for your life..
Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by jubrilELsudan: 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2019
Some of these Nigerians can lie that even the devil will carry bible and start preaching.

Don't mind all these liars. Their shops were never burnt neither was their houses. Most of them don't even have shops to start with. They can't even afford to rent ordinary shack in a location talk more of renting shop. All they do is roam around Johannesburg like homeless rats.

5 Likes

Re: I Ran For My Life, Returning Nigerian From South Africa Says by ipobarethieves: 1:50pm On Sep 12, 2019
;Db

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images / Photos: Travellers Stranded In Benin/Asaba Express Way Gridlock / 3 Months And 1 Week Waiting For Uk Settlement Visa - Settlement Visa Posts Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.