Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,313 members, 7,780,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:20 PM

"Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" (2254 Views)

Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets / CAN Rejects Benny Hinn Prophecy About Nigeria / Benny Hinn 'Faints' As A Nigerian Sows $1 Million Into His Ministry (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2019
"Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer Refund To Those He Misled" - Bishop George Bloomer
By Leah MarieAnn Klett, Christian Post Reporter| Monday, September 09, 2019

Bishop George Bloomer responded to televangelist Benny Hinn's recent rejection of the prosperity gospel and said that the famed televangelist needs to clarify what the Bible says about tithes and offerings or offer a refund to the millions he misled.

On Sunday, the pastor and founder of Bethel Family Worship Centre shared his thoughts on Hinn, who last week seemingly renounced the prosperity gospel, which teaches that God rewards active faith with health and wealth. Hinn has taught the controversial doctrine since the 1980s and made millions.

Bloomer said that in his own ministry, he has "from time to time" read Scripture and come to a new revelation or understanding of an ancient text.

"Before running out and sharing it with everyone, I go over it and then I make my apologies," he said. "So I'm not bothered by new revelations, I'm not bothered by maturing and coming to a brand new understanding. I'm not bothered by a person having a personal conviction about something that they're doing and want to correct it. I'm not bothered by that."

However, the bishop said if he discovers that what he's taught over the last 20 years on any given topic is "wrong," then he owes a refund to every person he misled.

"I owe them a refund ... if I am a shyster, if I am selling a product and the product that I am selling is flawed," he emphasized.

Bloomer explained that the idea of tithing is biblical: "Whenever I need something from God, I never go to the Lord empty-handed," he said. "The Bible declares that a portion of our dough shall be placed into the hand of the priest so that the glory of the Lord would not depart from this house."

"The foundations of what we believe is based in, predicated upon giving," he continued. "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son and required the same thing from Abraham to offer his son Isaac, his only son, up."

The bishop clarified he's not saying the prosperity gospel is "all right" or "all wrong," adding: "What I'm saying is that there are bad people everywhere."

"[They] had police officers, they had sheriffs, bad judges, bad preachers, bad Christians everywhere," he said. "But it doesn't mean that everything is off because of that."

"Listen to me, there are crooks and charlatans out there everywhere. But I tell you this, the Scriptures tell us that blessed is the cheerful giver."

There a number of tithes and offerings outlined in the Bible, the pastor said, from freewill and sacrificial offerings to sin and repentance offerings.

"Whatever offering you fit into, the God that we serve has established His kingdom on this principle. As long as the earth remains, there will be seedtime and harvest," he declared.

Bloomer ended his sermon with a message to Benny Hinn: "I say to you, Pastor Benny, on behalf of the clergy around the world, that your convictions are correct, but they're personal. And I just asked you to do one thing: Share with the body of Christ scripturally like I just did, and then we'll be fine. If not, you owe the body of Christ a refund on all of the thousands and tens of thousands of dollars that you have received from them when you told them that this is the Word of God."

"I'm waiting on your response," he concluded.

On September 2, Hinn told his studio audience and those watching online: "I am correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don't see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago."

"I think it's an offense to the Lord, it's an offense to say give $1,000. I think it's an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I'm done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it."

This is not the first time Hinn has seemingly backtracked on his teachings. In February 2018, he said in a Facebook Live video that, while he believed the Bible does teach prosperity, "I think some have gone to the extreme with it, sadly."

"It's not God's word that is taught, and I think I'm as guilty as others," he said in the video. "Sometimes you go a little farther than you really need to go, and then God brings you back to normality and reality."

The televangelist claimed he had come to believe that prosperity means not "palatial homes and cars," but rather "no lack."

"It's time to live biblically," he said, adding, "We all want to finish right."

Costi Hinn, Benny Hinn's nephew who has publicly criticized the prosperity gospel, said that while he's "encouraged" by his uncle's declaration, he's waiting to see "undeniable, lasting fruit that exemplifies genuine repentance."

"I think you got to sit down and you got to invite some guys in the room who are from outside your camp," he told The Gospel Coalition in a recent interview. "I think you need to start submitting, and you literally take all the money and all the resources and go OK, what is the one thing, and this would take strategy, and brainstorming, and good wisdom, and prayer. What's the one thing we can do with what we have left? We're not going to salvage it all, but we're not focused on the past anymore. This is repentance."

"The cleanup process would be years and years," he acknowledged. "But isn't that the beauty of revival, and of restoration, and of repentance is?"

Truth, Costi Hinn said, "comes with a cost."

"That is the picture of restitution. I'm forsaking everything and I'm coming after Jesus no matter what," he added.

Source

1 Share

Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by judgementyard(m): 3:28pm On Sep 12, 2019
am not trying to sound bitter,if the holy Spirit is not happy about it now,why was the holy Spirit not happy about it 20 years ago.
Am glad that he was courageous enough to come fort with the truth, better late than never.
It's no longer news that the world as we all know it now is on the verge of the end time as was prophesied in the holy Bible,christains ought to be on their guard so as not to be amongst those that would be deceived .
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Bhamson: 3:35pm On Sep 12, 2019
Everybody believes they know more than the other person. Why not love your life and let him live his life
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2019
Giving/Tithing is Scriptural.....

Infact it's a Principle through which anyone will be Blessed on this Earth.

The issue we have heard is that A whole lot of Pastors and Teachers have left the Main Reason which our Lord and Savior, JESUS CHRIST Died, Which is To Seek and Save the Lost..

They have Left the Primary Focus of the Gospel and Turned the Churches to Prosperity and Marketing centers.

They have left the Reason JESUS CHRIST Paid the utmost price and gone after Earthly acquisition like its a competition..

They have left the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST and have gone for the gospel of Marmon..

1 Like

Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by ichuka(m): 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Source

They should give him a break pls.
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by malvisguy212: 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2019
Chosen1984:

The issue we have heard is that A whole lot of Pastors and Teachers have left the Main Reason which our Lord and Savior, JESUS CHRIST Died, Which is To Seek and Save the Lost..

They have Left the Primary Focus of the Gospel and Turned the Churches to Prosperity and Marketing centers.

They have left the Reason JESUS CHRIST Paid the utmost price and gone after Earthly acquisition like its a competition..

They have left the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST and have gone for the gospel of Marmon..

good point. they are mixing tithing and prosperity gospel. okay, tithing is old testament law ( although I disagree) because we are in the dispensation of Grace, should the old testament priests refund the tithes they received ?

what 90% cannot solve ,can 10% solved it ? and if 90% did solve it, why complained of the 10% ? I believed almost 80% of Christians, there heart are tied to there money and not God.

1 Like

Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2019
malvisguy212:
good point. they are mixing tithing and prosperity gospel. okay, tithing is old testament law ( although I disagree) because we are in the dispensation of Grace, should the old testament priests refund the tithes they received ?

what 90% cannot solve ,can 10% solved it ? and if 90% did solve it, why complained of the 10% ? I believed almost 80% of Christians, there heart are tied to there money and not God.

Tithing is not Old Testament Law.
No Part of the Bible is discarded..

Tithing is very Applicable to us..

Father our Father of Faith Tithed ..

Tithing is very Applicable to us today..

Tithing is not a Prequisite to Making Heaven but Tithing May Hinder some Believers from Making Heaven..
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 12, 2019
malvisguy212:

Tithing is not Old Testament Law.
No Part of the Bible is discarded..

JESUS CHRIST Says, Heaven and Earth will pass away but My WORD will not pass away.

The WORD of GOD is the Bible..

Tithing is very Applicable to us..

Father our Father of Faith Tithed ..

Tithing is very Applicable to us today..

Tithing is not a Prequisite to Making Heaven but Tithing May Hinder some Believers from Making Heaven..
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:16am On Sep 13, 2019
Dr. Brown, Benny Hinn, and the Prosperity Gospel
9hrs ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mY_xm0kNd8
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by StrikeBack(m): 9:45am On Sep 13, 2019
Chosen1984:

The problem with Nigeria is people like you.

Developed countries like The Netherlands,Sweden,finland and so on don't bother themselves with religion not of tithe and Offering......

Shun Religion!!!!
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 13, 2019
[s]
StrikeBack:
The problem with Nigeria is people like you.

Developed countries like The Netherlands,Sweden,finland and so on don't bother themselves with religion not of tithe and Offering......

Shun Religion!!!!
[/s] FOOLISH TALK
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:25am On Sep 16, 2019
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Kobojunkie: 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2020
Every MOG out there who has not been preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ but instead installed themselves as Teachers over those they were meant to preach Jesus Christ's Truth to are Liars and the Truth, that is Jesus Christ(the Spirit of God) does not live in them.

A good tree( a tree that belongs to Jesus Christ) CANNOT produce bad fruits i.e. lies, deceit, Idolatry etc.

Those who sit as apologists on behalf of such MOGs sit against God.
Re: "Benny Hinn Must Clarify Tithing Teachings Or Offer 'Refund' To Those He Misled" by Onyxunlimited(f): 2:27am On Jul 11, 2020
Facts about tithes your pastor will never tell you
–the reason of tithes is for food not to run out in the church
–the tithe was shared amongst the priest, levites and the poor in a certain percentage
–tithing in the Bible was never monetary, it was only foodstuffs that was brought in as tithes
–tithing was for only farmers and herders. If you do other job apart from farming eg daily pay, weavers, goldsmith etc you are exempted from paying tithes
–tithing was not monthly, it was yearly
–tithing is in the book of Moses. The laws in the books of Moses are no longer in use. Funny how pastors singled only tithing out.
So, if you are not a farmer or a herder, paying tithes is not Biblical. Even for the farmers it is not compulsory because tithing is a mosaic law. Don't listen to your pastors when they blackmail you with hell or gates of heaven closing against you. If you want to give money to God, do it as a voluntary donation and not because you were forced to. And you should know that it is not only in church that you can give God money. If you give it to charity, it's still God you have given. As a matter of fact, the Bible mandates us to do charities. It is the lack of charity that will take you to hell and not non payments of tithes. Remember the parable of the goats and the sheep. There are so many verses that encourages us to do charity both in the old testament and the new testament. But your pastor might not tell you this cos it won't benefit him. He who has ears, let him hear.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ways We Can Use To Help Ourselves Spiritually.(myths) / Help, Am Having Bad Dreams Constantly / Is Atheism A Belief Or Is It Truly Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.