Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS (3712 Views)

Please I Just Got A Brand-new Huawei Y9 A, And I Regret It Without Goo Playstore / Whatsapp To Stop Working On Windows OS From Today, December 31 / Google Ditches Dessert Names, Officially Name Android Q As Android 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2019
Huawei Just Started Selling Laptops With A Beautiful Linux OS Pre-Installed

Jason Evangelho Senior Contributor

I cover the fascinating worlds of Linux & consumer PC hardware.

Some of the best and most affordable premium laptops on the market are now shipping with Linux pre-installed. More specifically they’re shipping with Deepin, a beautiful and polished desktop Linux distribution which, like Huawei, are based in China. Whether this is a result of the ongoing trade dispute between the United States and China is unknown, but it’s a nice step forward for the proliferation of Linux alternatives promoted by major OEMs like Dell and Lenovo.

Huawei MateBook 13 with Linux

Huawei MateBook 13 with Linux HUAWEI

Let’s get the disappointing news out of the way first. Right now these select Huawei laptops with Linux are only rolling out in China, via Huawei’s official e-commerce store VMall.com.

The exact models available with Deepin Linux are the Huawei MateBook X Pro, Huawei MateBook 13 and Huawei MateBook 14. It also looks like you’re stuck with the stock options for each model.

Now on to the positive news. Huawei has ditched the traditional Windows logo key on these Linux models and replaced it with key that simply reads “Start.” And as you’d expect, these 3 models cost 300 CNY (or about $42 USD) less than their Windows 10 counterparts.

Huawei MateBook 13 with Linux

As for Deepin, its Chinese origins tend to ignite controversy (and anxiety within privacy purists) in the Linux world, however the distribution is open source and the code is available on GitHub. Politics and privacy stances aside, Deepin is one of the most stunning Linux desktops out there – and it’s also available in English.

Deepin 15

Deepin’s open source nature does mean that Huawei is free to make alterations to it for their own purposes.

One of the main draws for Huawei may be Deepin’s recently added Cloud Sync feature allowing you to sync various system settings to the cloud. This covers network settings (such as VPN and WiFi), sound settings, mouse settings, update settings, power settings, corner settings, theme, wallpaper, launcher, and dock. Definitely useful for installing the OS on multiple machines, or easily regaining your customizations after a clean install.

It’s also worth noting that all three of these Huawei laptops run any Linux distribution like a dream, not just Deepin.

Could this be a precursor to Huawei offering Linux on select laptops globally? Or perhaps a trial run to gauge interest in alternatives to Windows 10, such as its own open source HarmonyOS? I don’t have the answers, but it should be very interesting to watch things unfold.

By the way, if you’re looking for premium laptops from a major OEM that ships a little closer to home, consider Dell’s Developer Edition lineup.

Do you love Linux and the community creating it? Check out my new podcast Linux For Everyone!

3 Likes

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:18pm On Sep 12, 2019
My bad the actual price 5999 yuan here is the source link

https://m.vmall.com/product/10086709395398.html#10086575126458

1 Like

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by hisgrace090: 8:34pm On Sep 12, 2019
What a game changer price?

1 Like

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:
The cheapest laptop with modern specs I've known so far
How much?
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by iamapplord(m): 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

Now on to the positive news. Huawei has ditched the traditional Windows logo key on these Linux models and replaced it with key that simply reads “Start.” And as you’d expect, these 3 models cost 300 CNY (or about $42 USD) less than their Windows 10 counterparts.

Is my eyes that is deceiving me??...

Someone pls help me check..

For HEAVEN sake...THIS LAPTOP COMES WITH LINUX

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:42pm On Sep 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

How much?

$42 approx 16000 naira
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:44pm On Sep 12, 2019
iamapplord:

Is my eyes that is deceiving me??...

Someone pls help me check..

For HEAVEN sake...THIS LAPTOP COMES WITH LINUX

Is it a crazy move or what i dont understand?
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

$42 approx 16000 naira
Really!
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

Really!

Yea its that surprising
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by iamapplord(m): 8:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

Is that what you think??
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
iamapplord:

Is that what you think??

You tell me cause i don't know what you implied
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by iamapplord(m): 8:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by purleesh(f): 8:53pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

$42 approx 16000 naira

....They cost $42 less than their Windows10 counterparts....

8 Likes

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 8:55pm On Sep 12, 2019
purleesh:

....They cost $42 less than their Windows10 counterparts....

Yea i get it

That means its mostly windows os that makes laptop very costly

2 Likes

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by iamapplord(m): 8:59pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

Yea i get it

That means its mostly windows os that makes laptop very costly

Hold on...pls can you explain that??
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 9:02pm On Sep 12, 2019
iamapplord:

Hold on...pls can you explain that??

From these play-out it means that its just the Operating System that makes the laptop expensive
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by iamapplord(m): 9:05pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

From these play-out it means that its just the Operating System that makes the laptop expensive

Hmm...
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Ernerstdavid55(m): 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2019
Pls how can I get dis laptop I need 3pcs
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 9:23pm On Sep 12, 2019
Ernerstdavid55:

I will paste the link in a short while

If you know how to import then its a bonus for you
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 9:29pm On Sep 12, 2019
Ernerstdavid55:

https://m.vmall.com/product/10086709395398.html#10086575126458
If you dont know how to import you can contact nobody or protein0

cc: nobody

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2019
I just checked the item now
its temporarily out of stock
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Donniefred(m): 9:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
Ahh! Lapi with 2g GDDR graphics, core speed up to 3.9. shocked for $40 ? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ? ?? ? ?? shocked shocked

Wait! Wia did y'all see $40? grin something that is $800+ grin cheesy grin
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Daviestunech(m): 9:59pm On Sep 12, 2019
If there is successful order...pls it's should be reviewed here so dat pple can buy it also
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by TingSpace: 10:08pm On Sep 12, 2019
Donniefred:
Ahh! Lapi with 2g GDDR graphics, core speed up to 3.9. shocked for $40 ? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ? ?? ? ?? shocked shocked

Wait! Wia did y'all see $40? grin something that is $800+ grin cheesy grin

it was initially out for that price and its temporarily out of stock so maybe it prompted that price

See link
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/09/12/huawei-just-started-selling-laptops-with-deepin-linux-pre-installed/#690250787824
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by roughcoin12: 10:59pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

I will paste the link in a short while
If you know how to import then its a bonus for you
Please assist me on how to import in this chinis site ... Or flash me with ur whatsapp numb 07067411836... Thank u.
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by jerflakes(m): 11:03pm On Sep 12, 2019
TingSpace:

$42 approx 16000 naira

$42 LESS
than windows

4 Likes

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by kode12: 11:56pm On Sep 12, 2019
It's so shameful the poor reading and comprehension skills a lot of Nigerians have, despite a steady access to information. The article clearly states that the Linux Models are $42 less, still people are taking it as being sold for $42. You all should be ashamed of yourselves and the kind of education you've given yourselves. School na scam, school na scam, now see yourselves
You are all out there disgracing yourselves. What a pity.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:44am On Sep 13, 2019
asuustrike1:

Really!

$42 less...
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Sima04: 1:09am On Sep 13, 2019
jerflakes:
$42 LESS than windows
bro read well "they cost 300 Chinese yuan(approx 42 dollars) less than windows 10"
Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Reeoman: 1:24am On Sep 13, 2019
All of you shouting $42..
Hope you read the article well?
It was said to be $42 less than it windows counterparts that the likes of Microsoft surface pro and hp slate.

This thing cost about 300k o

Op, the article was lifted directly from Forbes website and you did not indicate it to be the source

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by jerflakes(m): 6:00am On Sep 13, 2019
Sima04:

bro read well
"they cost 300 Chinese yuan(approx 42 dollars) less than windows 10"

Apparently you don't understand English

4 Likes

Re: New Huawei Matebook Laptop Ditches Microsoft Windows OS by Onyenna(m): 6:56am On Sep 13, 2019
Nah wah oooh!!

It clearly states in the article that the laptop[s] costs 300 CNY (or about $42 USD) less than their Windows 10 counterparts.....

"LESS THAN" that's the keyword there and so many people still couldn't understand!!....

Eg.... If Huawei laptop with windows OS costs $100, that of Linux would cost $58.......

[...Reminds of those Secondary school days via mathematics..... Teacher: if Sylvia was 19yrs old in 2005 and her younger brother is 8yrs younger than she is.... How old would he be now?.....]......

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Details Of Nokia E6 / See The Function Of LOST.DIR Folder On Your Android SD Card / Get Free Data For Airtel, Glo And Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.