Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,468 members, 7,781,360 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:08 PM

My France Picture Gallery - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My France Picture Gallery (137585 Views)

How Do I Appeal My France Tourist Visa / Nike Art Gallery, Freedom Park & National Museum In Pictures / Issues With My France Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (47) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My France Picture Gallery by rinzylee(m): 11:35pm On Mar 30, 2020
I wouldn't want us to derail the focus of the thread. You have made very intelligent and sincere assertions to which I applaud. However, it's just one perspective you have seen from, I'm not here to make any excuses nor antagonize the religious institutions either.

I wouldn't know much about the mosques but coming from the church, I would say that they have played a role towards national transformation. Trust me , I have been involved in a few of these projects which have bothered on education, Human capital development and even infrastructure.

It's very easy to throw punches at the church because she is almost defenseless, but trust me there are very many silent acts of kindness meted out by the church to the society that should shame government. These may not be publicized because they are not there to score cheap political points. .

What would you say of situations where a church sets out to construct world class roads but the prevailing Government insists on being bribed? See, it's not really what we think it is.

Let's hold our leaders accountable and be grateful when the religious institutions extend helping hands. Infrastructure without personal transformation is still useless, and that transformation is the real responsibility of the church.

Did you see it was the church that led the campaign for donations against "COVIK 1-9"?

I understand your agitation bro, but let's channel it to the right quarters.

Keep Hope Alive!!!!
beejay16289:

You definitely know it's the responsibility of the Government. But Religious leaders can also be of help. In your honest opinion don't you think we have more than enough religious institutions. If you ask me i would say humanity's obsession with religion has done some serious damage to our reasoning. Like why the hell will a religious leader say his vision is to have a branch of his church in less 7 minutes walking distance. Wait are the branches already built overstretched or overpopulated. I highly doubt that....

Honestly with the way we're heading it almost seem fair to say that a well known religious leader will pull much more crowd than Mr President himself... Any day any time....

Trust me I am not praising our Government because honestly it's very obvious that they have failed us as our leaders...

Relegious institutions claim to love and serve God.......Then I see no wrong if they all come together as one.... join resources to innovate positive impact to our economy.....Is this too much for the love of God....

9 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
In our lectures yesterday, something strange happened grin grin grin

I didn't expect that in this our early stage of nuclear, we should have issue relating to loss or theft or incident until yesterday.

In one of the slides of our course in Accidental Exposure, Nigeria was listed as a country with one incident which is the loss or theft of Gamma Knife. Gamma Knife is a gamma radiation source which shouldn't be placed un-shielded from people.

Now this theft happened last year and I do not know if it's been found, where it was found, and if enough radiation protection analysis was done there to determine the gamma source and if there's any exposure to the environment.

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:01pm On Mar 31, 2020
Most of the materials we use are highly regulated and protected. They spend a lot in ensuring the security of the software immediately we are signed in. For most of these softwares, I doubt Nigeria have access to it.

So in trying to see how I can collaborate with the Atomic Agency and see if possible I could run some experiment or analysis on our nuclear projects especially as it relates to Nuclear Waste Management such as the soil.

I made contact with someone in the NAEC, one of their top officers and we connected on LinkedIN. I explained to him what I am doing and how we could work together and harness the knowledge I am learning here especially because they may not have access to the material or software in Nigeria. And once I am done here, I will lose access to all of them. Alot of analysis needs to be done, especially as it relates the production of Fission Products and Minor Actinides. Also, we need to know the kind of soil we have in ITUH where the NPP would be sited, make analysis of it and see should they be an accident, the transport or radiation of the environment, etc.

After explaining to the man, he said "Okay" and that ends it.

I think it will just turn out to be like other resources in Nigeria that is not used. Last last, person go dey look for job here or return back to the country and join the region of qualified people who aren't working in their industry.

This person is not just anyone in NAEC ooo, and in most of their articles including the one he has written and presented, they always make mention of lack of foreign trained personnel etc.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:15pm On Mar 31, 2020
I worked with an IT Company in Abuja.

You know as a Physics graduate, they said the only place we can work in Nigeria is in the classroom grin grin grin, and me that like Money, I never had such intention of teaching Undergraduates let alone Secondary School Students.

So, sometime in 2017, they was a project that was supposed to be done for the Nigeria government as it relates to Power. It was a World Bank sponsored consultancy project on Nigeria Power Sector. The World Bank (Hereinafter referred to as WB) had $600m for the Nigerian government but wouldn't release it until they see a clear plan of what they want to use the money for. So the project was outsourced and the outsourced Company decided to work with my Company. So, I was brought in as someone who should know a little about energy grin grin grin and also PM (Project Management Skills). I will leave some of the details.

It was actually a very highlevel consultancy job that got me exposed to what the real problem of Nigeria Electricity Problem is. People are just talking nonsense without knowing that irrespective of whoever rules the country, power issue will remain the same for the next 15 years. Nigeria operates an electricity model called Single Buyer Model. It means that Nigeria buys all the electricity generated and sale to the Discos. The government agency/company that buys this power is Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trading Company. This was the agency that we did the consultancy job for and I worked as a Junior Business Analyst.

This model of electricity operation is only used by small economy nations. Big countries like Nigeria shouldn't operate with such model. Also, we realized that when the power sector was privatized, the Distribution Companies were sold to people in government. Powerful individuals. So Nigeria ends up paying Power Subsidy since the Discos were given a vesting contract for about 25 years of operation.

See below what was remitted by Discos against what was invoiced to them. This was same trend we witnessed in 2017 and it still continues and will always continue. Government keep wasting money on discos. We couldn't complete this consulting job (due to some little technical issues) but we made some recommendations.

After this job, I learned a lot about the power sector in Nigeria.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:27pm On Mar 31, 2020
To cut the long story short.

After this project, I have been involved in many other projects that I wouldn't mention now grin grin grin We have tried to see how we can improve the government's ease of doing business. And I moved from just a Business Analyst to Software Analyst where I have designed a lot of solutions for automating some core functions of the government. Especially as it relates to tax. I have been to many states in Nigeria, meeting with state governments and seeing how to improve their processes.

So my main point is, I studied Physics but doing nothing related to it because of Nigeria. Now, I am studying Nuclear Engineering and it's sad that upon completion, I will return to my Company if I didn't find work in the Nuclear Industry here or anywhere else. But it is sad that the quality of the things we are being taught would be wasted.

Even while here, I still work with my Company, and we still do and manage a lot of governments projects.

The country is not yet ready and Nigeria will happen to all of us at last. So sad, I have to be talking about tax, revenue, automation of processes, etc when I come back. It's so sad because I am still being paid some amount of money while here by my Company who wants to ensure that I return to them.

I said previously, that the management wanted me back to the country before the total lockdown but I didn't want to get myself exposed.

I have been to a lot of government agencies, infact, I have been to about 90% of government agencies in Abuja and I see how things are done there. I think the entire system is weak and anyone expecting any major change soon is not serious.

I have to admit that the government are embarking on a lot of projects for that can get the system working, some of which I am involved with, but there are a lot of things that is still happening in those agencies that it would be hard to solve except people begin to take responsibility or demand for responsibilities of all government agencies than blame the President since he can't be everywhere at all times.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2020
Pardon any mistake, I am tired from todays lectures but wanted to update this thread..

Some reactions can help this thread stay afloat.

I don't have any pictures since we are under strict lockdown and no one is allowed to go outside without having a certificate. Also, I am afraid of exposing myself to Covid-19. Because, no one would care for you the way they would care for their people, so the safest is to ensure you don't get infected in the first place.

Good night guys and stay safe.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Boyhood: 6:31pm On Mar 31, 2020
mrphysics:
Why do most Nigerians believe they are no sensible enough to handle what those in other countries are doing including Iran? Why do we wish to be them without getting our people to think like them? I see that no matter the kind of leadership we get in Nigeria, it will take decades to get the average Nigerian to think like his mate in developed countries.

But we have driven planes that are even riskier to operate.

Can someone answer me please? Why do Nigerians wish to be developed but are not getting themselves ready for development? Why do we think we can not operate a Nuclear Power Plant. Terrorism, right? Iran nko? Turkey nko?
When you asked these questions, I said to my self this guy has forgotten so soon who Nigerians are. I started typing a response but changed my mind and deleted it.
Now you are the one responding to (answering) your own questions. Your quotes below is just a tip of the iceberg to the numerous reasons why Nigerians think they are not ready for NPP.

mrphysics:
In our lectures yesterday, something strange happened grin grin grin

I didn't expect that in this our early stage of nuclear, we should have issue relating to loss or theft or incident until yesterday.

In one of the slides of our course in Accidental Exposure, Nigeria was listed as a country with one incident which is the loss or theft of Gamma Knife. Gamma Knife is a gamma radiation source which shouldn't be placed un-shielded from people.

mrphysics:

I made contact with someone in the NAEC, one of their top officers and we connected on LinkedIN. I explained to him what I am doing and how we could work together and harness the knowledge I am learning here especially because they may not have access to the material or software in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:01pm On Mar 31, 2020
Boyhood:

When you asked these questions, I said to my self this guy has forgotten so soon who Nigerians are. I started typing a response but changed my mind and deleted it.
Now you are the one responding to (answering) your own questions. Your quotes below is just a tip of the iceberg to the numerous reasons why Nigerians think they are not ready for NPP.
But if we can't, it means we are not yet ready for any serious development. We are already losing a lot for lack of one. Some of the elements used in NMR and other nuclear medicine application in Nigeria requires radioisotopes of low half life, meaning that if we want it to last, we should buy more and remember it becomes half after it's half life.

It also means there is a possibility of Nigerians going into the NCDC lab to steal a contaminated source, release it to the public and cause another lock down or pandemic?

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by LadyHeaven(f): 2:06pm On Apr 02, 2020
mrphysics:
Most of the materials we use are highly regulated and protected. They spend a lot in ensuring the security of the software immediately we are signed in. For most of these softwares, I doubt Nigeria have access to it.

So in trying to see how I can collaborate with the Atomic Agency and see if possible I could run some experiment or analysis on our nuclear projects especially as it relates to Nuclear Waste Management such as the soil.

I made contact with someone in the NAEC, one of their top officers and we connected on LinkedIN. I explained to him what I am doing and how we could work together and harness the knowledge I am learning here especially because they may not have access to the material or software in Nigeria. And once I am done here, I will lose access to all of them. Alot of analysis needs to be done, especially as it relates the production of Fission Products and Minor Actinides. Also, we need to know the kind of soil we have in ITUH where the NPP would be sited, make analysis of it and see should they be an accident, the transport or radiation of the environment, etc.

After explaining to the man, he said "Okay" and that ends it.

I think it will just turn out to be like other resources in Nigeria that is not used. Last last, person go dey look for job here or return back to the country and join the region of qualified people who aren't working in their industry.

This person is not just anyone in NAEC ooo, and in most of their articles including the one he has written and presented, they always make mention of lack of foreign trained personnel etc.

Lol, you forgot to mention how it would bring him MONEY, MONEY and more MONEY...rapu our leaders and focus of getting the most out of your educational stay in France, who knows top oil/energy companies can come knocking...GL

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2020
LadyHeaven:

Lol, you forgot to mention how it would bring him MONEY, MONEY and more MONEY...rapu our leaders and focus of getting the most out of your educational stay in France, who knows top oil/energy companies can come knocking...GL
Lol, he may not be willing to engage me or interested in whatever my studies would bring to the commission, but I am sure, he isn't interested in money.

He may have thought, I was looking for job (which is normal to him), but he didn't think that even if I was looking for one, that I am qualified for it, even when I am not looking for job.
I have a well paying job before I left and which is waiting for my arrival. I was just trying to collaborate with them and see what they can get from this sponsorship that cost FG over N15m for my studies alone.

Maybe it's not within his jurisdiction to engage me, or perhaps, they are doing nothing serious in the commission.

Thanks for the input, it meant a lot.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2020
mrphysics:

I was just trying to collaborate with them and see what they can get from this sponsorship that cost FG over N15m for my studies alone.

You mean this Monika alone is worth 15m? It's arguably the most expensive one on nairaland.

God when?sad

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:55am On Apr 03, 2020
eesy:

You mean this Monika alone is worth 15m? It's arguably the most expensive one on nairaland.

God when?sad
Lol, no bro, it's among the least if not the list moniker on nairaland. It's not my money, it's FG's money, so that makes the moniker same moniker it used to be. FG spend alot of money on this scholarship. They are scholars in imperial college, etc in UK, where the school fees is higher than mine, this is aside the monthly living stipend. My school fees alone is approximately N9m for the two years which has been paid.

If FG should give same money to Nigerian universities, it would have been shared and amounted to nothing. They wouldn't be any technological advancement in any of Nigeria's university. SO it's best when they spend on Foreign schools where they are sure the qualities exist.

One day, I was in Tetfund to enforce a particular tax. I remembered that a certain percentage of CIT (Company Income Tax) about 2% is paid by every company in Nigeria everywhere, that money is collected as education tax by FIRS and given to Tetfund who disburses to Universities.
Of course we know these funds are spent as contracts in various universities and there are tax such contractors are supposed to pay to Fg for executing such contract. Some are collected but one isn't fully enforced. We were told by the Tetfund DoF and also the CPO (Chief Pay Officer) that all fund collected by FIRS for Tefund as education tax is given directly to universities. They do not control what it is used for and how contracts are awarded.

Of course, I am aware that some part of the fund is used to fund both foreign and local education of some lecturers (this is quiet competitive and not often), but the larger part of the fund is given as contract or unaccounted for.

I have also been to the VCs office of some Federal Universities to know how these contracts are awarded and why they are not remitting some of these taxes, but was very shocked to realized how money is just spent by universities.

The entire system is bleeped and we are in big mess. Sorry to say, even if you have Donald Trump as president, it would take atleast 2 decades to sanitize the system. When I visit some of these agencies and see how things are done, I am sad that people are only focused on one side.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 03, 2020
This gives us a glimpse at how our universities are being managed. You see so many new uncompleted projects and many old and unmaintained ones.

I have schooled in two different higher institutions in Nigeria, I am currently rounding up studies at one at the moment. In both schools there were projects being undertaken all year round that ended up being abandoned for newer ones. They keep using up new spaces to build new structures that don't end up being built up completely.

All over campus there are new buildings with new design but with missing ceilings, lifts that aren't working etc. You'll be wondering what is really going on.

6 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 4:21am On Apr 04, 2020
I like the way you compose your stuffs keep it up

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Ablemax(m): 11:06am On Apr 04, 2020
Hadampson:

Lol.. Boss, i been dey busy plus no i no get enough data to enter whatsapp. No vex abeg

Where is the whataoo link??
Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:43pm On Apr 04, 2020
We have the resources but we choose to remain in darkness.

Around 2001, France completely stopped all their Uranium Exploration. They now buy Uranium from other countries. Recall please, that Nuclear Energy gives over 85% of all electricity consumed in France. Infact, their operational model is 1000MWh to 1 million people, infact I am sure they are giving more than that to 1 million people while selling the rest to other neighbouring countries. France remains Europe's biggest electricity exporter with over 50 Nuclear Reactors, some of which are between 25-33 years old. From January 2019 to November 2019, France exported 39.4 TWh.

While in Nigeria, we give 4000 MWh to 200 million people. Attached, please see the plot of world's uranium deposit. Infact Orano, which is the French Nuclear Company own the exploration of Uranium in Niger. Of course, it is not free, they buy it while Niger do not even have much electricity or depend on other countries for such.

We are in the river and yet soap is entering into our eyes. We are still fighting ethnicity problems while the rest of the world is advancing and leaving us behind. We are not yet citizens of Nigeria, rather indigenous of our various states.

The country will keep pumping money on hydrothermal energy, of course it is good but it will be difficult if not impossible to generate our entire energy from it. Also, it depends on rainfall. While a NPP, a single fuel campaign lasts up to 6 years. Once you start a NPP, it will go about 1 year without stopping. You are definitely sure of constant electricity for the next 7-8 months after a NPP has been turned on.

If IRAN has a NPP, I don't know why we shouldn't. If Pakistan is building one or owns one (Not sure), the we should. South Africa is already leading in the development of a NPP, yet we are pumping money and it's been stolen, yet we keep pumping and thinking that our electricity salvation will come from a dam. The cost of a NPP is already know, and once you invest in it, be sure it will be handled as scheduled.

When Uranium is explored, there's something called tailing, it's the 'stones or gravel' from which uranium has been extracted. It's usually dumped on the ore of exploration and it is not too friendly to the environment and must be protected. Yet these things are done in Africa and we are not reaping the fruit of energy generated from uranium, rather, we collect money, steal it and remain ever the same.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Davidson5(m): 12:53pm On Apr 05, 2020
Uranium is a big deal for France. Even if Niger are so dumb to allow the French explore their country's resource at such cheap price. Some years ago I watched the documentary about how France was exploring Niger's uranium, of course majority of the population are dumb... few only stood up against the French. You know the rest is history.

Africa needs sound mind leadership.

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Hadampson(m): 5:16pm On Apr 06, 2020
Ablemax:

Where is the whataoo link??

I don't get you bro
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Ablemax(m): 5:58pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hadampson:

I don't get you bro

I mean the whatsapp link
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Hadampson(m): 6:04pm On Apr 06, 2020
Ablemax:

I mean the whatsapp link

I will ask for the link and get back to you bro smiley
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Ablemax(m): 7:58pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hadampson:

I will ask for the link and get back to you bro smiley

Yourm are the man and make sure u get one whity preg over there
Re: My France Picture Gallery by jlomz: 2:23pm On Apr 14, 2020
@Mr. Physics, thanks for the expository on NPP as a sure means to overhauling and ensuring steady power supply and generation to our beloved country.
As much as I agree and support views related to sustainable power generation, I must say that we most times forget that current existing power infrastructures and distribution systems might not or will I outrightly say be able to support an improved amount of power been generated.
I believe we have the capacity to generate more than what we're generating, but I doubt if we have the infrastructure to support whatever will be generated.
An overhaul of the entire modus operandi is very vital, bring in SCADA to facilitate optimum monitoring of our transmission and distribution systems, overhaul existing Power Utilities and equipment, let distribution of power as well as it's marketing be Automated.
If the Transmission and Distribution value chain is not attended to, whatever we get from NPP might end up in Neighbouring countries, because we can't store AC power, so we must sell.
Nevertheless thank you bro, ur contributions are well taken into account.
Hope Akada is in good condition, cos we hear say, to read book no easy for Obodoyibo ooooooO.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by themaestro08(m): 10:33pm On Apr 14, 2020
What a lovely thread!

Keep up with the good job Mr physics.

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by ADEBAZ95(m): 11:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
mrphysics:
Why do most Nigerians believe they are no sensible enough to handle what those in other countries are doing including Iran? Why do we wish to be them without getting our people to think like them? I see that no matter the kind of leadership we get in Nigeria, it will take decades to get the average Nigerian to think like his mate in developed countries.

But we have driven planes that are even riskier to operate. A NPP is designed to shut itself down in case of any emergency. It did in Chernobyl, it also did in Fukushima. These two accidents occurred because of the Tsunami not because of Reactor problem. And these natural disasters were prepared for but what came was more than what was prepared for. A NPP is safer than Gas Power Plants. No Nuclear operated plant can cause the damage caused by oil exploration in Southern Nigeria.

And no, there has not been any major cancer related issue or mutation experienced from the over 10,000 people who survived Hiroshima accident.

Can someone answer me please? Why do Nigerians wish to be developed but are not getting themselves ready for development? Why do we think we can not operate a Nuclear Power Plant. Terrorism, right? Iran nko? Turkey nko?

For me, we are not matured yet to handle anything nuclear. You are saying this because is ur field of study and u av enough knowledge on it. Due pattern of govt. we are running in this country, our decision making process is very slow and making fast decision is compulsory when running a nuclear plant.
Also,
There will be lack of continuous funding.
Quota system can enable someone that is not adept to take over the affairs of the Nuclear plant at the top.
Issue of Maintenance and so on.

3 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by ADEBAZ95(m): 11:18pm On Apr 14, 2020
[/b][b]
mrphysics:

Lol, no bro, it's among the least if not the list moniker on nairaland. It's not my money, it's FG's money, so that makes the moniker same moniker it used to be. FG spend alot of money on this scholarship. They are scholars in imperial college, etc in UK, where the school fees is higher than mine, this is aside the monthly living stipend. My school fees alone is approximately N9m for the two years which has been paid.

If FG should give same money to Nigerian universities, it would have been shared and amounted to nothing. They wouldn't be any technological advancement in any of Nigeria's university. SO it's best when they spend on Foreign schools where they are sure the qualities exist.

One day, I was in Tetfund to enforce a particular tax. I remembered that a certain percentage of CIT (Company Income Tax) about 2% is paid by every company in Nigeria everywhere, that money is collected as education tax by FIRS and given to Tetfund who disburses to Universities.
Of course we know these funds are spent as contracts in various universities and there are tax such contractors are supposed to pay to Fg for executing such contract. Some are collected but one isn't fully enforced. We were told by the Tetfund DoF and also the CPO (Chief Pay Officer) that all fund collected by FIRS for Tefund as education tax is given directly to universities. They do not control what it is used for and how contracts are awarded.

Of course, I am aware that some part of the fund is used to fund both foreign and local education of some lecturers (this is quiet competitive and not often), but the larger part of the fund is given as contract or unaccounted for.

I have also been to the VCs office of some Federal Universities to know how these contracts are awarded and why they are not remitting some of these taxes, but was very shocked to realized how money is just spent by universities.

The entire system is bleeped and we are in big mess. Sorry to say, even if you have Donald Trump as president, it would take atleast 2 decades to sanitize the system. When I visit some of these agencies and see how things are done, I am sad that people are only focused on one side

You just answered the question u asked earlier, every citizen living in this country is responsible for failure of this country to acheive great development.

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by ADEBAZ95(m): 11:24pm On Apr 14, 2020
Davidson5:
Uranium is a big deal for France. Even if Niger are so dumb to allow the French explore their country's resource at such cheap price. Some years ago I watched the documentary about how France was exploring Niger's uranium, of course majority of the population are dumb... few only stood up against the French. You know the rest is history.

Do u think Africa will ever speak with one voice, even west Africa cannot speak with one voice not to talk f Africa.
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Davidson5(m): 8:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
ADEBAZ95:

Do u think Africa will ever speak with one voice, even west Africa cannot speak with one voice not to talk f Africa.

Well you're right.
Certainly in the future maybe a factor will unite us more together. Till then, let's hope.

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by GIDIBANKZ(m): 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
mrphysics:
We have the resources but we choose to remain in darkness.

Around 2001, France completely stopped all their Uranium Exploration. They now buy Uranium from other countries. Recall please, that Nuclear Energy gives over 85% of all electricity consumed in France. Infact, their operational model is 1000MWh to 1 million people, infact I am sure they are giving more than that to 1 million people while selling the rest to other neighbouring countries. France remains Europe's biggest electricity exporter with over 50 Nuclear Reactors, some of which are between 25-33 years old. From January 2019 to November 2019, France exported 39.4 TWh.

While in Nigeria, we give 4000 MWh to 200 million people. Attached, please see the plot of world's uranium deposit. Infact Orano, which is the French Nuclear Company own the exploration of Uranium in Niger. Of course, it is not free, they buy it while Niger do not even have much electricity or depend on other countries for such.

We are in the river and yet soap is entering into our eyes. We are still fighting ethnicity problems while the rest of the world is advancing and leaving us behind. We are not yet citizens of Nigeria, rather indigenous of our various states.

The country will keep pumping money on hydrothermal energy, of course it is good but it will be difficult if not impossible to generate our entire energy from it. Also, it depends on rainfall. While a NPP, a single fuel campaign lasts up to 6 years. Once you start a NPP, it will go about 1 year without stopping. You are definitely sure of constant electricity for the next 7-8 months after a NPP has been turned on.

If IRAN has a NPP, I don't know why we shouldn't. If Pakistan is building one or owns one (Not sure), the we should. South Africa is already leading in the development of a NPP, yet we are pumping money and it's been stolen, yet we keep pumping and thinking that our electricity salvation will come from a dam. The cost of a NPP is already know, and once you invest in it, be sure it will be handled as scheduled.

When Uranium is explored, there's something called tailing, it's the 'stones or gravel' from which uranium has been extracted. It's usually dumped on the ore of exploration and it is not too friendly to the environment and must be protected. Yet these things are done in Africa and we are not reaping the fruit of energy generated from uranium, rather, we collect money, steal it and remain ever the same.

Wow... Thanks for d stories... I have been folllowinq your section since last year...but am scared to ask for this.... Please can we chat on whatsapp please.....if yes i would like to drop my number so dat u can communicate me.....please i have some private questions to ask
Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:47pm On Apr 17, 2020
GIDIBANKZ:

Wow... Thanks for d stories... I have been folllowinq your section since last year...but am scared to ask for this.... Please can we chat on whatsapp please.....if yes i would like to drop my number so dat u can communicate me.....please i have some private questions to ask

Thanks for reading.

Let's start via email. It works best for me, and I respond to mails faster than Whatsapp messages.

Please stay safe
Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:25pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hi Guys,

I trust we are all safe in this challenging times. Covid-19 has no doubt affected everyone and everything. 2020 is no longer a year to pursue any dream, rather, a year to stay alive. It's as if everything is on standstill.

For us, though lectures are being done online, truth is, Nuclear Engineering is most hit. Most of our courses require we use or stay close to the department network in order access some applications with strict license. These applications are sensitive applications that are well secured and it's use strictly monitored. Also, other hands on activities/courses like lab work are also cancelled. We are only left with few theoretical course. Interesting anyway. For students and lecturers, we all miss the physical engagements. Some of our courses has been pushed to September (About 2 or 3).

Another aspect the emergence of covid-19 affected badly is in the area of examination. The French would naturally prefer to subject you into their usual hard system, thus, online examination model has not received much acceptance by most the french people especially my school. I wouldn't know if they will push some exams till September or proceed to do it online. However, one of our lecturer has already proposed an oral examination where he will be asking us questions himself and watch you respond to them. This is a bad idea to my classmates as some of us are already preparing weapons of mass destruction should we be allowed to write exam online; being monitored by Time/duration of the exam.

It's been predicted that Africa would be worst hit by Covid-19, and from the way things are going in Nigeria, I am sure that prediction will happen sooner than predicted. I have taken time to study the response of Nigerians to Covid-19 and realized we are not yet serious. Everyone including the government. Why we play politics in everything beats my imagination. Well, it's the reason why we are less developed country. We truly do not understand how things are done in civilized society, I just weep for the country.

Please keep staying safe

7 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:32pm On Apr 17, 2020
So I decided to step out to check the compliance against the compliance seen in Nigeria. I was actually the only one outside. However, towards the evening, you'd see people jogging around, or taking a walk with their dogs. Also, the French government has not done anything for individuals. All it's measure has been for SMEs and companies.

8 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:40pm On Apr 17, 2020
Davidson5:

The environmental implication of mining Uranium lasts forever. Mining alone constitutes 72% of environmental problems of Nuclear Power. Except in cases of Nuclear Accidents, I think it's best to operate a NPP than to be mining Uranium. Little wonder France stopped all it's mining activities and focused in other countries.

Unfortunately, Africa is only good in making noise, leaving in delusion of how rich they are or how wise they are. Niger is so dumb. Nothing stopped them from exploring NPP option like SA and Ghana. Namibia too. Namibia alone takes 46% of global release of radioactive materials to the environment caused by the mining activities happening in the country.

Same thing done for oil, we don't have working refinery, yet we have oil. No one wants to take responsibility yet, unfortunately, the world is moving forward and we are spiraling full circle backwards.

Each time I see pictures taking in Nigeria, each time I see pictures coming from Lagos, Onitsha, Kano, etc, I weep. We are doomed people.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (47) (Reply)

Japanese Visa And Travelling To Japan / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) / Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get A Nigerian Police Report?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.