Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,118 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

My France Picture Gallery - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My France Picture Gallery (138408 Views)

How Do I Appeal My France Tourist Visa / Nike Art Gallery, Freedom Park & National Museum In Pictures / Issues With My France Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (47) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:35pm On Dec 26, 2020
More of same place

8 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:36pm On Dec 26, 2020
Mooore

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 8:37pm On Dec 26, 2020
More for you

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2020
mrphysics:
More for you
if this is Switzerland then I don’t see anything special about it

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2020
Possiblegee:
Like I said, I was expecting more. I wasn't impressed or wowed. So you observation is in order. However, this is just a little part of a country and Geneva is not even the Capital.

What makes it more expensive than Paris, etc is what I don't know. Because from the look of things, everything seem to be France. In my mind, I just called it France extension. Nothing more.

8 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Joohan: 10:39pm On Dec 26, 2020
The streets are empty. Is it that the population is not much or the people prefer to stay indoor.

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 10:42pm On Dec 26, 2020
Joohan:
The streets are empty. Is it that the population is not much or the people prefer to stay indoor.

I will rather agree with the former. A city with a population of about 200k people. Meaning that my city Nantes is more populous than Geneva. While Geneva will be ranked above Nantes in terms of everything.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by themaestro08(m): 6:48am On Dec 27, 2020
Possiblegee:

Perhaps it has more to do with the city than the whole country.I think Zurich is more beautiful than Geneva.
Re: My France Picture Gallery by themaestro08(m): 6:52am On Dec 27, 2020
A great thread indeed cool... During your visit, did you toured other German-speaking Swiss cantons like Zurich and Basel? Please share the pics with us. Thanks.
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 27, 2020
themaestro08:

Perhaps it has more to do with the city than the whole country.I think Zurich is more beautiful than Geneva.
yes your right bro

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 27, 2020
mrphysics:

Like I said, I was expecting more. I wasn't impressed or wowed. So you observation is in order. However, this is just a little part of a country and Geneva is not even the Capital.

What makes it more expensive than Paris, etc is what I don't know. Because from the look of things, everything seem to be France. In my mind, I just called it France extension. Nothing more.
but why didn’t you go to Spain or Netherland ....but no try go Slovakia or Serbia grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:41am On Jan 12, 2021
Hi Guys,

I haven't ran away grin grin grin

Thank God the 18 months academic activities is gradually coming to an end. We will officially end it on February 10th. A journey you have all been part of. The next hurdle now is internship. Currently, getting internship has proven difficult. Everything academics seems to be difficult in France. Lol.
However, I am not losing faith. Will keep applying.

So if you have any link to internship in Nuclear Engineering, let me know. Being the kind of industry it is, we know it can be difficult as most companies would prioritize their citizens first. However, I am open to laboratories or companies anywhere.

I will continue posting the pictures I took in Switzerland next month. I do hope to have gotten internship by then. It's crazy. Lol.

7 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:43am On Jan 12, 2021
Some of my classmates who have gotten internship got outside France. If our country is good, one would be considering home. But No, that should be a no option or say last option.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by hammed71(m): 7:50am On Jan 12, 2021
Don't worry you would get one soon, just keep aplying

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by themaestro08(m): 3:38pm On Jan 13, 2021
mrphysics:
Some of my classmates who have gotten internship got outside France. If our country is good, one would be considering home. But No, that should be a no option or say last option.

If only! As they say If wishes where horses beggars will ride... Sometimes i wish one can swap countries easily.....

BTW I'm glad you're rounding up your academics,sure, its being one hell of a ride, but thankfully, and most importantly, you've managed to keep your head above water which is remarkable. I wish you success man cool.

3 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 5:39pm On Jan 13, 2021
themaestro08:

If only! As they say If wishes where horses beggars will ride... Sometimes i wish one can swap countries easily.....

BTW I'm glad you're rounding up your academics,sure, its being one hell of a ride, but thankfully, and most importantly, you've managed to keep your head above water which is remarkable. I wish you success man cool.

Thanks bro. Unfortunately, the country is not yet ready for research. While sending some applications to South Africa yesterday, I wept. I mean, we should not be in such position where we are not competing at all. There's no field that we can say we are competing.

Funds are not given for research and the ones made available is shared/looted. Finding internship in the nuclear area here is hell of a stress, all my classmates are complaining. Those from China are looking back home. You can thus imagine what getting a job in this field would be like.

It's not even about them, but remembering that our country is literally doing nothing, the ones they are doing are not funded for advancement. Let me stop ranting. Lol.

We are hopeful though.

10 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 5:40pm On Jan 13, 2021
hammed71:
Don't worry you would get one soon, just keep aplying
Thanks bro.

Someone reached out here, thanks bro. grin grin

Above all, I am grateful the academic activities is coming to an end. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:36pm On Jan 27, 2021
I hope you guys are doing great.

It seems I might be interning in Belgium. I have never liked to travel, given the choice and options, I would prefer doing my internship here in France. Wishes are not horses, though I hope something good happens. But from the outlook, I think we might be getting pictures of Belgium sometime in the future. Of course, this depends on the Covid situation.

I made an application to a nuclear institution and they contacted me. They requested for the contact of my programme manager who recommended me. It wasn't easy but after the interview, they proposed a topic which is a priority to them at the moment.

But it's interesting because the topic I might be working on is something that interests me. Yes, I am most passionate about neutronics and reactor Physics. A quite general topic that actually anyone can read and learn online. grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2021
I will be working on validating nuclear data, gotten from various experiments. I will also work on what is called Covariance nuclear data analysis. A seemingly new way of validating nuclear data. You will not understand grin grin grin I will try to explain a little.

We deal with sensitive elements, one that I don't know if I will ever be able to set my eyes on it. Most nuclear scientists and engineers might spend their career without setting their eyes on these elements - Uranium and Plutonium.

4 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:02pm On Jan 27, 2021
So in other to study these elements or to build a nuclear reactor, alot of codes has been developed, they are called neutron transport codes. Alot of them exist now, only few are open sourced. The likes of MCNP (Monte Carlo Neutron Particle Transport code developed in the US is very not readily accessed. Even if you can pay for it (expensive), it is not released to just anyone.
In fact, in my school, they have only 5 licenses. Thus, we can't use it to learn. Another one is called SERPENT code. This works like the MCNP, widely accepted and used. If you write to the developers, they can give you access to it. The open sourced neutron transport code is the one developed by MIT (I guess), it's called openMC (MC - Monte Carlo).

In my school, we use SERPENT2 code. However, to connect via the school virtual machine, we have to first connect to the FBI server and then back to the school server such that everything is monitored. I mentioned this in earlier thread.

With these transport codes, it is possible to simulate an entire reactor core, make designs, and simulations including accident scenarios. They give you same result you will likely get in a real nuclear reactor.

Simple core geometry we did in class are shown below.

6 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
Since we may not be able to physically see Uranium, shouldn't be this difficult but because it's in high demand and scarce, it's become a sensitive commodity. In reality, you can touch uranium with your bare hands. They only become dangerous when they are irradiated. In mines or reprocessing plants, we get the uranium-6 (U-VI) popularly known as the yellow cake. You can get close to it, touch it and it won't harm you.
It's only extremely dangerous once irradiated.

UO2 with the oxidation state of 6 is the most stable state of uranium. From the mine, after crushing the uranium rock, it's reprocessed using TBP and Nitric acid, dried to get the yellow cake used in nuclear reactors.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:24pm On Jan 27, 2021
Back to what I was saying, in class and laboratories, we study the properties of these elements under irradiation using these transport codes. The behaviour or the computation is done from data gotten from real nuclear experiments. These are the nuclear libraries. However, they vary from place to place. For instance, US uses their own library called ENDF while Europe developed theirs (JEFF), other countries have their own or they use the US library.

During my internship, I will be working with the library from a research reactor from Japan. I will be validating it and making covariance analysis.

Figure 1. A simple nuclear fuel looks like the image below. It's a uranium fuel inside a zircaloy cladding placed in a pool of water. The figure below, exhibits same exact properties of Uranium.

Figure 2. Uranium fuel at the beginning of irradiation (This is gotten from Serpent simulation in our class)

Figure 2. Uranium fuel pin after 2.7 years of fissioning/irradiation in a reactor core (Gotten during a simulation in class too).

You can tell the difference right? Yes, SERPENT is able to replicate same phenomenon we will get in real simulation. These are simple geometry anyway. During my internship, I may be working on more complicated geometry. The images are more than I explained above. Lol. It's just for you to have an idea of the most talked about uranium and nothing more. Maybe I will talk about plutonium. It's interesting on it's on.

3 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by JOACHINpedro: 7:26pm On Jan 27, 2021
mrphysics:
So in other to study these elements or to build a nuclear reactor, alot of codes has been developed, they are called neutron transport codes. Alot of them exist now, only few are open sourced. The likes of MCNP (Monte Carlo Neutron Particle Transport code developed in the US is very not readily accessed. Even if you can pay for it (expensive), it is not released to just anyone.
In fact, in my school, they have only 5 licenses. Thus, we can't use it to learn. Another one is called SERPENT code. This works like the MCNP, widely accepted and used. If you write to the developers, they can give you access to it. The open sourced neutron transport code is the one developed by MIT (I guess), it's called openMC (MC - Monte Carlo).

In my school, we use SERPENT2 code. However, to connect via the school virtual machine, we have to first connect to the FBI server and then back to the school server such that everything is monitored. I mentioned this in earlier thread.

With these transport codes, it is possible to simulate an entire reactor core, make designs, and simulations including accident scenarios. They give you same result you will likely get in a real nuclear reactor.

Simple core geometry we did in class is shown below.
Omo this is what I call. "Learning with purpose"

1 Like

Re: My France Picture Gallery by popeshemoo(m): 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2021
Great mrphysics .. I am so happy for you..
Wishing you the best of luck in Belgium.
I wish we were as detailed as this in Nigeria when doing internships and learning in general.
My undergraduate internship a stepping stone for me .. I was able to validate some of the theories I learnt in school and I was opportune to work there for almost a year after my graduation..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 7:44am On Jan 28, 2021
popeshemoo:
Great mrphysics .. I am so happy for you..
Wishing you the best of luck in Belgium.
I wish we were as detailed as this in Nigeria when doing internships and learning in general.
My undergraduate internship a stepping stone for me .. I was able to validate some of the theories I learnt in school and I was opportune to work there for almost a year after my graduation..
Thanks bro for your kind wishes.

Internships are always an opportunity to validate some of the theories learned in school. It also equips you with relevant skills required and needed in the industry.
99% of my lecturers during this second year of masters are from industries, IAEA, CEA, EDF, IRSN, etc. They are invited to teach the various courses and how they apply it in their place of work. They give life to theories.

This morning, we will be having a physical class to learn one software. It's a software used to simulate the entire operation of a power plant. It is called SOPHIA and developed by CEA. It can't be used outside of CEA computers, hence the reason it's not installed in the school systems and softwares. This way, we get to know how everything learned in class is applied in the industry. Internship, thus, consolidates it all by giving you first hand operation.

Here, it's compulsory to do internship, and not all internship topics are accepted. You have to work on a specific topic, under the guidance of a particular person/team to achieve a goal which you will outline in a form signed by both your school supervisor and internship supervisor before the internship starts. You will continously communicate with your school supervisor on the progress of your internship, what you are doing, etc. He will give directions and recommend other things you can do. And yes, you can fail internships and be asked to redo it if you don't achieve enough internship goals capable of awarding 30 ECTS units.

Enjoy the rest of your day bro.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by hammed71(m): 9:35am On Jan 29, 2021
congrats bro
Re: My France Picture Gallery by Olabode971(f): 2:06am On Jan 30, 2021
thank God, i finally follow and devour every single picture with my Eyeballs...

@Op, God don already bless you, He will keep on Blessing you the more, His protection wont evade you...

At least I never travel go anywhere except Lagos... but thank God say Op as given me more insight about France, I sha know one day,one day, me too will leave the shores of this country Nigeria and find a better and sane place to rest my head and mind.

#Amen.

5 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by mrphysics(m): 10:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
Olabode971:
thank God, i finally follow and devour every single picture with my Eyeballs...

@Op, God don already bless you, He will keep on Blessing you the more, His protection wont evade you...

At least I never travel go anywhere except Lagos... but thank God say Op as given me more insight about France, I sha know one day,one day, me too will leave the shores of this country Nigeria and find a better and sane place to rest my head and mind.

#Amen.
You will go anywhere you have ever dreamed of going bro. You will go places.

Keep the thoughts green, you will achieve all of them.

8 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Olabode971(f): 2:31am On Jan 31, 2021
mrphysics:
Amen IJN

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by Richdee1(m): 9:14am On Jan 31, 2021
mrphysics:
Baba wats the update naa today is Sunday Even if na the food pictures wey u don chop abeg send am Make we sef breathe France fresh air from here grin lol

3 Likes

Re: My France Picture Gallery by hotplate: 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
i finally got to this last page after 2days of an interesting encounter. i have so much to say, so much to react to but let me first of all appreciate the op for job well done.

i do hope when you get a shot at leadership in Nigeria you would be able to replicate all of these development and technology. it beats my imagination that our leaders after traveling the length and breath of this world to see how things are been done in developed nations will still come back and construct substandard and outdated infrastructure for us. All through your picture i didn't see one bad road or one illegal structure obstructing free flow or even heaps of refuge let alone hawkers and street traders constituting nuisance. it sad that at this present day this are issue we are still trying to tackle when we should be talking about serious technological reforms like going nuclear.

i dont know, but looking at it at the moment it seems your degree would only be relevant in lecturing in nigeria.

Again thanks for the exposure and information on this thread i hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Europe

Keep flying the Nigeria Flag
Keep Rep..ing Africa
It Will Only Get Better

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My France Picture Gallery by DisGuy: 1:49pm On Feb 01, 2021
mrphysics:
At first, the trip seemed boring. Boring because I had a different expectation for the the country. So when I got there and it has the same structure or building style of European countries, I wasn't wowed. However, since I was there, I had to make the best out of the trip and enjoy it.

I wanted to go inside the UN office to explore, but when I asked, I was told that due to Covid-19, they no longer allow tourists into the premises. Of course, Covid-19 is a good reason for anything. Lol.

I shall took some pictures of the gate or surrounding should incase someone decides to visit or for your viewing pleasure.

Joyeux Noel.

A European country having a different style?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (47) (Reply)

Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) / Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) / Japanese Visa And Travelling To Japan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.