Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? (7394 Views)

Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? / Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Orestik(f): 12:05pm On Oct 30, 2010
An aunt of mine got married to this guy she really loves, he loves her too but then in the third year of their marriage they got divorced, the lawyer asked them their reason for getting a divorce and they both answered that they still love each other but then they cant stand each other, and the wife is richer than the husband, so now will we say marriage is based on WEALTH, LOVE or MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING, lipsrsealed
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by sandee575(f): 1:37pm On Oct 30, 2010
I just got unbanned by the powers that be. No love or understanding.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by OJ2010: 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2010
It is tolerance/understanding and not love.
Love may take you into marriage but tolerance/understanding sustains the marriage, this much i know from my 7yrs of marriage experience.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by kayc33(m): 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2010
both go hand in hand, IMO.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by amblors(m): 2:05pm On Oct 30, 2010
like someone once said: MARRIAGE == The grace of GOD.

Love, Understanding, all of join, God's grace is the lubricant.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by tfASH: 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2010
I think love itself needs understanding. Both are essential in a fruitful marriage.

Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by bomly(f): 2:09pm On Oct 30, 2010
Im not married yet but from studies I think it's held together by the power of God. Understanding is part, Love, Tolerance and all. I think Woman try to sustain home but some Men are carried away with the pleasure the outside world brings, they go about chasing young girls and feel the woman is there and can never leave forgetting that women are humans and have feelings, anyway not trying to be judgmental because some women also don't protect their home but in all Omo nah GOD get power to build and sustain
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by atampakoeg(f): 2:09pm On Oct 30, 2010
No, its based on hate and mis understanding. Wait until you get married Poster.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by jennifer(f): 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2010
love is nt enough cos understdin is d only ting dat keeps marriage goin.e.g ur spouse is a talkative/has this bad habit dat u dislik:even lf u luv her/him u'll stil feel bad or pissd off each time she/he displys dat xter bt because u hav an understdin dat this person is like this,
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Orestik(f): 2:39pm On Oct 30, 2010
@atampakoeg so ur own is based on hatred and misunderstanding abi grin grin tongue
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Orestik(f): 2:42pm On Oct 30, 2010
what about wealth? because obviously no woman wants to get married 2 garri in d morning, afternoon and eba @ night, so does wealth determine how long a marriage can last??
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Kelvinj(m): 2:58pm On Oct 30, 2010
Well marriage should be based on both love & understanding cause without them it cant work
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by MissyB3(f): 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2010
If both are present- Good. If you have to choose, go for understanding.
Love without understanding/tolerance wouldn't take you far.

OJ2010:

Love may take you into marriage but tolerance/understanding sustains the marriage, this much i know from my 7yrs of marriage experience.
Touché

Orestik:

what about wealth? because obviously no woman wants to get married 2 garri in d morning, afternoon and eba @ night, so does wealth determine how long a marriage can last??
Nothing beats understanding and/or tolerance. That's the essential quality one has to possess in order to live amicably with another person. First understanding, then tolerance.
If there's not enough money and there's understanding and tolerance, there wouldn't be [much] problems.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by semid4lyfe(m): 4:21pm On Oct 30, 2010
More of understanding & tolerance IMO.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by NAJALYN: 4:39pm On Oct 30, 2010
Marriage is based on love & understanding. However to really sustain the marriage they must have the fear of God in them & must be very prayerful. A woman or man that goes into marriage because of wealth only loves the money, & that is no love. The moment the wealthy partner loses the wealth, the marriage crumbles. That is why young couples should be prayerful before going into marriage. Court, get to know yourselves better, find out your likes & dislikes, that way, you build a very solid foundation once you get married. By courting you may still not be able to detect a deceptive partner. That is why you need fervent prayers to see you through the selection process. There was a young man who invited his fiancee to his house for the first time. Before her arrival, he had moved his posh furniture from his parlour, & left it poorly furnished. When the fiancee got to his house & saw the very poorly furnished parlour, her countenance changed & she was not at all happy. The man then later took her to the room where he put his posh furniture. The fiancee's face brightened up & she was smilling from ear to ear. However, unfortunately for her, the man made up his mind not to marry her. That of course was a wise decision because she was after his wealth. Be very prayerful, because you may even be unfortunate to get married to a demon. It has happened to so many. So my dear friends cling to God. He will never ever fail you.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by SAKUR: 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2010
Marriage is base on respect and understanding .There is nothing called love maybe lust.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by carmelia(f): 5:00pm On Oct 30, 2010
almost everybody thinks understanding is more important n i'm nt disputing dat. but let me ask, is it possible 2 respect, tolerate n understand sum1 without loving dat person 1st.? methinks love is d ultimate!
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2010
Marriage is a lifetime of lots of experiences that have to be bore together. To talk of love taking you through them all to the end is to overrate it.
The normal lover or in love' wouldn't do. It takes a lot more than even love and understanding. I don't know why folks jump into marriage so quickly? Marriage life is no joke (I have seen many experiences before my eyes to know better) You gotta have love for you mate though, but if the
only driving force in your marriage is love, then you are living a fairytale lie.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by kabukabu50(m): 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2010
The key is Love AND Understanding, slowpokes, and some paper too because on occasion you might have to make it rain to let the heffa know who is in control. grin grin grin,
and don't forget the nizz, uts.

Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2010
And why did attached your pic
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by kabukabu50(m): 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2010
Clutch the nizz, utz, lady ^^^^^^^^^^ grin
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by ijele(m): 6:36pm On Oct 30, 2010
If there's anything called HELL; It's when u married a wrong person. However in Marriage,where love stops,tolerance continues. This days most youths re lured into so called 'marriage' on mere frivolities,social status,religion,and marriage by proxy! Some couple even spend their energys planning 4 wedding instead of marriage. Methinks marriage depends largely on human ( the couple) and not God! , Man cast de deciding de vote . When a man proposes 2 a woman and she accepts, (pls let no one put assunder,not even the parents) that is 'Marriage made in heaven' church or mosque weddin is just marriage b4 God!
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by kcjazz(m): 7:10pm On Oct 30, 2010
After Love and understanding (whatever that means), Marriage is WORK, you have to put in your best everyday to make it happen.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Bowofola(m): 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2010
@ OJ2010- U said it all, Let he/she dat has eyes let him/her read and comprehend,
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Beync(f): 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2010
the secret of every successful mariage is love, respect and understanding. the lack of these qualities in some mariagies is the reason why most mariagies are unstable.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by andykarry: 9:54pm On Oct 30, 2010
ALL MARRIAGE CAN WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!marriage or relationship(as the case may be) needs four BASIC things for real.They are LOVE, RESPECT,TRUST $ UNDERSTANDING.they are like pillars needed for a relationship to work.else, u guyz mit say u love each other but still divorce.one of these pillars will not stand the place of another.Each must be taken as very important.Love her,trust her,respect her,understand her and u have a blissfull marriage!see that!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by bechex(m): 10:11pm On Oct 30, 2010
@ andykarry, I really do feel your post , I loved respected and trusted my ex and she loved trusted and respected me also however the understanding aspect was lacking on both sides and that's why I refer to her as an ex today, 
The four are compulsory, leave one out and u r in for a bumpy ride and the others may fizzle out and both parties may have to go their separate ways.
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by aladdin001(m): 10:38pm On Oct 30, 2010
love brings u guys together. but understanding keeps u guys together
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by olaeday(m): 10:42pm On Oct 30, 2010
God Almighty approves marriage, we are the bricklayers, love is the foundation, understanding is the roofing and endeourance is the finishing & furnishing
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by olaeday(m): 10:43pm On Oct 30, 2010
God Almighty approves marriage, we are the bricklayers, love is the foundation, understanding is the roofing and endeourance is the finishing & furnishing
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Rooneyboy(m): 1:25am On Oct 31, 2010
Understanding is the key .
Re: Is Marriage Really Based On Love Or Understanding? by Abuloma80(f): 1:59am On Oct 31, 2010
OJ2010

No two ways about it other than what above poster has said. The unmarried look towards that, and the married maintain that if you have been doing

so, if not start [color=#006600]"TOLERANCE AND UNDERSTANDING"
. Love plays it roll at bringing you together and once married you sustain the companionship

through tolerance and understanding. I give God the glory that is much I achieved from my 29yrs of marriage.[/color]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mother Bakes Vaginas Cupcakes For Child And Bugs Out When Teacher Says 'No' / I Think My Husband Is Molesting My 3 Months Old Daughter.. Woman Cries / Living With Her Sister And Her Sister's Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.