Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   (38296 Views)

I Am Determined To Fight Insecurity, Reopen Borders – Peter Obi / I Won’t Reopen Borders Now — Buhari Says In London / Border Closure: Nigeria Lists Conditions To Reopen Borders With Neighbours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by sammyj: 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2019
We no go gree oooooo!!! grin

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by ZombieTAMER: 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2019
They gain so much from us.. With we get little from them...

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2019
Oga presido this your move to ensure food sufficiency is the only thing you have done that has impressed me so far don't let those country mess with your plan

but come Mr president they are still smuggling rice heavily into the country via the northern border since the border over there is porous or the northern border is not part of Nig

plus I think it is the right time to give ECOWAS the middle finger our being a part of it has been taking more from us than the benefits we derive

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by SouthSouth1914: 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2019
TheAngry1:

What is this one saying, bikonu? angry angry angry

I am saying that you need to mind your business.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by BabaIbo: 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2019
SniperSmurf:
Nigerias borders are porous. No need.

Maybe for north but in the south it is now tight o. ..
They no even dey accept bribe according to one guy, na you go offload your goods yourself enter their point come drop am inside water... This there will surely be exceptions tho.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Studyinchina200(m): 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2019
No more big brother.

These fellow Africans always give us fake love hahaha

6 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Duggedised12(f): 12:55pm On Sep 17, 2019
Protectionism is key to self preservation . Since the beginning of time ,first world countries have always put measures in place to protect its borders and local market. Some first world countries have put punitive tarrifs as high as 21% on goods to protect their citizens from the Chinese.

These countries get to tax rice and smuggle it through the borders without paying tax to the Nigerian govt, double win for them at the expense of the Nigerian economy.

Watch "the deceptive promise of free trade" only then will you know these people are only using Nigeria's head with this free trade nonsense they keep reciting.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Elemosho478: 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2019
Buhari must not open the border

We don't need Saboteur as friends

8 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by rejoice4eva(m): 12:57pm On Sep 17, 2019
khalifjgusau:
The ECOWAS Parliament on Monday appealed to the Nigerian government to reopen its closed borders as it hampers on the implementation of free trade movement within the ECOWAS region.
Speaker of the Parliament, Hon. Moustapha Cisse Lo made the call in a statement at the opening of the 2nd Extra-Ordinary Session of the ECOWAS Parliament in Monrovia, Liberia.

He added that the border closure poses a threat to the implementation of the Protocol on the Free Movement of Persons at a time when Africa need to intensify efforts for effective abolition of barriers within the Community.

Cisse Lo, however, urged the government to find a permanent solution to the challenge of smuggling, rather than closing the borders, which was not a lasting solution.

“In the same vein, the closure of the Nigerian borders with Benin more than a month ago and Niger more recently is a hindrance to the achievement of the Community’s main objective, which is to achieve the creation of a prosperous, borderless West African region where peace and harmony prevail.

“The ECOWAS Parliament calls for compliance with Community provisions and thus calls for the reopening of borders and a coordinated fight against smuggling in the region;

“The root causes of this recurrent situation must be studied with a view to finding a permanent solution,” he added.

He also condemned the Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, saying that it had constituted real threats to African integration.

“At the time of our session, serious events are taking place on our continent and should be given special attention.

“Indeed, in South Africa, in recent weeks, we have witnessed an upsurge in extremely violent xenophobic acts.

“These sad images of Africa, these painful events and the tensions they generate challenge us as elected representatives of our peoples, we are extremely concerned and deeply outraged.

“The ECOWAS Parliament calls on the South African authorities to assume their responsibility by guaranteeing all their foreign nationals the right to life, physical integrity and free movement.

“We also call on all African States and the African Union to adopt diligent initiatives to restore peace and security and ensure a return to calm in South Africa and all other States.

Cisse Lo, however, expresses the readiness of the Parliament to discuss the 2020 budget of the ECOWAS Community.

He said that the agenda of the extraordinary session was to adopt Parliament’s draft Budget for 2020 financial year, as well as the revision of Rule 13 of the Rules of Procedure of the Fourth Parliament devoted to the Inaugural Session.

He said that an Ad Hoc Committee was set up to prepare a preliminary draft of Parliament’s Budget for the year 2020.

According to him, the report of the said Ad Hoc Committee was transmitted and examined by the Bureau of Parliament at its last meeting held in Monrovia.

“Parliament’s competent committee, in particular, the Administration, Finance and Budget Control Committee, after approval by Parliament will report to the Plenary.

“This is an opportunity for each of us, honourable colleagues, to impose a rigorous discipline on ourselves in order to examine the preliminary draft Budget 2020 carefully and objectively.

” I remain convinced that we will be diligent and punctual so that the full treatment of our agenda can be accomplished under good and fruitful conditions,” he said. (NAN)

https://www.solacebase.com/2019/09/17/ecowas-appeals-to-nigeria-to-reopen-borders/
I just noticed that the security situation has improved tremendously, so , ECOWAS should first face security before free trade

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by farem: 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
Nigeria is a country without a blueprint!

A tormented and afflicted child of a smuggler spotted!
E don do una. I Never again!

19 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by seankafor(m): 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2019
Now they know the worth of the giant..

These small countries go behind our back to castigate and rain abuses on our country and government.

Its time we show them who runs the show..

The boarder remains closed angry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by adanny01(m): 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2019
Naijaguy123:
Thunder fire una, how can Republic of Benin suddenly become one of the highest importer of rice in the world if not because most are smuggled into Nigeria ?

Some people never see anything good about this administration but to be candid, this border closure has exposed 2 very big problems Nigeria is facing. The smuggling of rice into Nigeria and the smuggling of petrol out of Nigeria.

The rice Benin republic imports mostly end up in Nigeria while the petrol Nigeria imports is substantially smuggled out to Niger especially. This apart from the cars and a lot more.

A think Buhari needs to f.uck ECOWAS and we shall see even the violence in the North east and the proliferation of guns into Nigeria decimate.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2019
BabaIbo:

Maybe for north but in the south it is now tight o. ..
They no even dey accept bribe according to one guy, na you go offload your goods yourself enter their point come drop am inside water... This there will surely be exceptions tho.
lol the water part got me.. there would surely be exceptions... How would it look like if they could do same in the Northern borders

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Angelfrost(m): 1:01pm On Sep 17, 2019
Open which borders??! When terrorists and smugglers were holding the security and economy of the nation hostage what did this spineless union do or say??!... Let them just STFU!!! Free Trade Fire!!!

8 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by nick50(m): 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2019
The borders should remain closed till 2023 elections when jubril buhari will smuggle in his kinsmen from chad,Mali,Niger and Sudan to vote him in again... Stupid people

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by idu1(m): 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2019
My friend siyaka find somewhere sit down undecided
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Notatribalist(m): 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2019
Though I am somehow affected with this border thing but I think ft got this one right..
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by adetem(m): 1:08pm On Sep 17, 2019
So no be only Nigerians dey suffer ham grin grin

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by MDBoss(m): 1:08pm On Sep 17, 2019
If there are another borders other than those two, FG should close them all
I mean, no border should be opened
We are ready to eat Nigerian own grow rice, whether it is good or not

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by SoNature(m): 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2019
Latidoh1:
Make dem sanction Nigeria

They cannot sanction Nigeria because Nigeria is the most powerful country in the subregion.

Just like the United Nations, it cannot sanction the US because she is the highest financier of the body.

16 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Okoroawusa: 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2019
King44:
Oga presido this your move to ensure food sufficiency is the only thing you have done that has impressed me so far don't let those country mess with your plan

but come Mr president they are still smuggling rice heavily into the country via the northern border since the border over there is porous or the northern border is not part of Nig

plus I think it is the right time to give ECOWAS the middle finger our being a part of it has been taking more from us than the benefits we derive
The northern border with Niger is also closed...

This border closure dey sweet my belle o!

15 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by AreaFada2: 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2019
suprememoney:
I pray that one day, we should achieve that which will make us great in the faces of other African countries.

I'm too eager to see this country great.
Well many of us have done so lifelong.

But at some point a person highly placed in society told me that my insistence on honesty and rectitude will not get "my enemy" anywhere in life. I was a young guy full of hope for Nigeria.

Considering his position in society and success, he was just indicating to me that he didn't get there honestly. I decided to try my luck far away from 9ja. And it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Okoroawusa: 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2019
Notatribalist:
Though I am somehow affected with this border thing but I think ft got this one right..
Am also affected but I don't care... with time I will recover

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by BafanaBafana: 1:12pm On Sep 17, 2019
Sunofgod:
The borders must remain closed. No more cheap fuel for neighbouring countries.

Also Boko Haram cannot be going back and forth!
Who tell you say Boko haram dey follow government border?
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by ORIENTATION101: 1:13pm On Sep 17, 2019
Nigerians can now see the parasitic relationship of benin and niger republic.
We pay heavily on monthly basis for fuel subsidy . They still smuggle the fuel from Nigeria to their countries without paying tax.

The pay biliions dollars annually import duties to their own govt on Rice's e. t.c .but 90% of the rice re freely smuggled into Nigeria and sold without paying tax.

15 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Sprumbaba: 1:13pm On Sep 17, 2019
Tolexander:
The very reason I don’t like this regional free trade movement things.

Base on our nature in Africa, we will be affected and have less to gain from it, than our movement and not our development.

Nigeria has the largest market in West Africa and Africa at large. These Occidental and Oriental world will just be using Nigeria as dumping ground using our neighbors

I disagree. This is the time we should take advantage of the situation and get to work to export anything exportable to other part of Africa. I believe our Igbo brothers will take an advantage of this. Our government should be investing in small businesses but the only thing they are doing is handout called Tradermoni.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Halogenonimisi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2019
suprememoney:
I pray that one day, we should achieve that which will make us great in the faces of other African countries.

I'm too eager to see this country great.
May God bless you..

I'm more eager than. everyday I imagine how great and highly development we have become in short period of time
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by BabaIbo: 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2019
King44:
lol the water part got me.. there would surely be exceptions... How would it look like if they could do same in the Northern borders

They should apply it to every border in order to be transparent.
I also heard they don't operate at the border alone, they also go to people's stores to pack their rices, he said he went to somewhere one day and saw them packing bags of rice from people's stores, over 4 trailers according to him.

It's well, make them try release fund give us and make friendly business policies make we for startup factories/companies
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by mercyvivv(f): 1:18pm On Sep 17, 2019
ECOWAS expects us to play the pan African role at the detriment of our own interest. Isn't that foolishness? We closed that border because rice, a staple food in Nigeria is being smuggled in through that route and this is affecting local production.

Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and other resource. Check my signature for details.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Probe Ongoing — Abdulrasheed Bawa, EFCC Chairman / Roland Igbadumhe 'Youngest Old Man' Joins House Of Representatives Race / Gunshots In Ajase Ipo As OPC, Fulani Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.