Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,407 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 (45571 Views)

Banks Induce Customers On Conversion Of Dollar Deposits To Naira / ₦50 Stamp Duty On Bank Deposits & Transfers Are Illegal - FHC Asaba / CBN's New Policy On Cash Deposits: Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by mfm04622: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Go back and read post you quoted.

Now, slowly.

Thank you

I understood you perfectly and my response is on point! You post had 2 parts. In the first part, you supported the policy while in the second you condemned Govt's plan to collect VAT on online transactions. My response is to the second part of your post. My summary is this. The fact that you paid online for goods or services that is not VAT exempt does not lift VAT liability off you.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by HeyCorleone(m): 10:16am On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

Im not ....if we must grow people must learn to pay tax

All the tax we have been paying since, what has been done with it?

The problem is not paying. But every sane individual would love to see their money used judiciously. So far, Nigerians have enjoyed very little value for their tax payment, and you are trying to justify this one?
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Fantazy(m): 10:31am On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

Im not ....if we must grow people must learn to pay tax

I don't even know what to reply u !
U mean after paying my tax (deducted from my salary monthly) I will have to pay another one to the bank?

U really need deliverance!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by blueghost(m): 10:53am On Sep 18, 2019
It is finished shocked
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by pacespot(m): 10:56am On Sep 18, 2019
mployer:

It's not luxury tax.

It's policy implementation tax, aimed at encouraging cashless transactions.

People really need to stop moving bundles of cash around.

OK, if it is to discourage cash transactions, so do these charges apply to amount deposited by cheque?

If someone issued you a cheque of 5 million naira, that means you would have to forgo about 5% of that to your banker before being deposited into your account.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by ChristianNorth: 10:57am On Sep 18, 2019
mfm04622:

I understood you perfectly and my response is on point! You post had 2 parts. In the first part, you supported the policy while in the second you condemned Govt's plan to collect VAT on online transactions. My response is to the second part of your post. My summary is this. The fact that you paid online for goods or services that is not VAT exempt does not lift VAT liability off you.
You didn't.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Les: 11:02am On Sep 18, 2019
Femich18:
Tax on deposit? Wow!
This is really Pathetic.

Aim at encouraging cashless transactions? This Govt is not getting their policy right. same Government planning to impose extra VAT on online purchases. You discourage them in one and encourage it to another policy. Who does that?
That is confusing to me

to be honest, I don't have an issue with this current tax, but you see that VAT on online transactions? That sh!t hurts me to my marrows, what do we do?
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by pacespot(m): 11:04am On Sep 18, 2019
Flier:
what do you sell? Because I am sure 97% of market women don’t make 2-3% on any product they sale
This government is just insensitive and stupid
Sometimes those market women make as little as #10 on #2500 naira carton of good and this is why they always run down if their husband isn’t supporting them financially

I think a market woman that can singlehandedly make a deposit of N500k at once isn't that poor.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 18, 2019
mrvitalis:
This is luxury tax no one should complain

It would affect me very much but i believe in taxing
This is not tax
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by mployer(m): 11:16am On Sep 18, 2019
pacespot:

OK, if it is to discourage cash transactions, so do these charges apply to amount deposited by cheque?

If someone issued you a cheque of 5 million naira, that means you would have to forgo about 5% of that to your banker before being deposited into your account.

Cheque is not cash. It won't apply to cheques.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by pacespot(m): 11:20am On Sep 18, 2019
mfm04622:

There is no charge on transactions worth 500k and below! So how does this concern the poor market women!

I know Nigerians will find a way to circumvent these charges, if someone wants to make a deposit of 1 million naira, they will simply divide it into 3 places smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by pacespot(m): 11:22am On Sep 18, 2019
mployer:

Cheque is not cash. It won't apply to cheques.

OK, I hope so
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Digitalcreator(m): 11:41am On Sep 18, 2019
You all are not taking thiis serious.. By the time we start paying for oxygen in Nigeria.. Na ! Dat time we go know say this government need planck for head!
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Femich18(m): 11:44am On Sep 18, 2019
Les:
to be honest, I don't have an issue with this current tax, but you see that VAT on online transactions? That sh!t hurts me to my marrows, what do we do?

We can do nothing bro
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Acidosis(m): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2019
Someone will lose N10k on the spot on a single transaction (500k deposit) but the same bank cannot give you interest of N10k in 20 years. If you're still leaving your cash idle with these fraudulent elements in 2019, then you need help oo.

grin
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by banio: 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2019
booscy:
Cashless when the internet backbone that will power it is still acting WillieWillie, okay naaa.

Na eye we dey look for this contiri oooo, let them continue raping us.

I keep money for bank, money wey dem go still take do business, I go still pay bank for giving them my money to do business, Orait!!!!

One day they will wake up and meet empty contiri, everybody go don pack comot for night, maybe to Panya since South Africa dey kill us

You got me cracking. Which country be PANYA
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2019
banio:

You got me cracking. Which country be PANYA

Lol, Equatorial Guinea that Year grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by nams77: 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2019
mfm04622:

1. I am not blind. I am very knowledgeable about the financial industry. This services is not new! It has been existing for some years now. Banks have been holding the money and adding it to their profit! CBN is making statement about it because CBN supervises banks in the country
2. Online transaction were never exempted from VAT! Just that govt did not collect it. Now they want to collect it. What is wrong in that? VAT law already specified exempted items and services. It does not matter how you pay for the items and services that are not VAT exempt, you still need to pay tax!
3. Should we go to Benin and Cameroon to tax their citizens to raise revenue then? We all want good things but we want it for free! How is that possible? Lol!!!
Then you are still blind sir. No offence and not an insult please. This government doesn't care about us. If you Expecting them to use these money to better our lots, then i am sorry for you sir
An altruistic government will not want to burden the already battered populace.
They will think of ingenious ways to raise funds. There are so many ways to raise funds but they wont see it. It is our money they will like to use.
How about cutting down on their allowances,estacodes and salaries.
How about cutting down on their convoys and PA and SAs and staffs.
How about being prudent?
How about using local cars like india.?
How about not using foreign hospitals and budgeting bogus sum for kitchen utensils eg 800 million naira for cuttleries and spoons.
How about stopping all these every four years change of cars and furnitures for government officials and senators.
How about cutting down on gas flaring and utilizing or selling them out?
How about creating enabling environment to encourage foreign direct investment?
My brother, i am also in the financial sectors so i know what i am saying.
There are creative ways to raise money, not killing your already impoverished populace.
Have a great day and dont take offence at my post sir
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2019
Wait o. So if I deposit 3M I'll be charged 90k. Smh
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2019
It has been that way since 2017
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by mfm04622: 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2019
nams77:

Then you are still blind sir. No offence and not an insult please. This government doesn't care about us. If you Expecting them to use these money to better our lots, then i am sorry for you sir
An altruistic government will not want to burden the already battered populace.
They will think of ingenious ways to raise funds. There are so many ways to raise funds but they wont see it. It is our money they will like to use.
How about cutting down on their allowances,estacodes and salaries.
How about cutting down on their convoys and PA and SAs and staffs.
How about being prudent?
How about using local cars like india.?
How about not using foreign hospitals and budgeting bogus sum for kitchen utensils eg 800 million naira for cuttleries and spoons.
How about stopping all these every four years change of cars and furnitures for government officials and senators.
How about cutting down on gas flaring and utilizing or selling them out?
How about creating enabling environment to encourage foreign direct investment?
My brother, i am also in the financial sectors so i know what i am saying.
There are creative ways to raise money, not killing your already impoverished populace.
Have a great day and dont take offence at my post sir

No offense taken. Nigeria hold the record worldwide for the lowest tax to GDP ratio! Even countries at war have a better ratio! This only means we don't pay taxes. So i support the government in seeking to increase tax collections. Why i even support VAT is VAT is paid mostly by the rich! Basics necessities of life are VAT exempt. Also, this is not a tax. It is service charges. It will also be incident on the well to do! Yes, cost of governance is too high! Yes, Government should do more to reduce cost of governance. However, we should do our part too, then hold government to account .
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by nams77: 1:34pm On Sep 18, 2019
mfm04622:

No offense taken. Nigeria hold the record worldwide for the lowest tax to GDP ratio! Even countries at war have a better ratio! This only means we don't pay taxes. So i support the government in seeking to increase tax collections. Why i even support VAT is VAT is paid mostly by the rich! Basics necessities of life are VAT exempt. Also, this is not a tax. It is service charges. It will also be incident on the well to do! Yes, cost of governance is too high! Yes, Government should do more to reduce cost of governance. However, we should do our part too, then hold government to account .
Those countries with high taxes, do they provide basic amenities?
Nigerians are willing to psy higher for light but let there be steady supply.
You have too much faith in our government. They won't do anything good for the masses. I can almost bet my right kidney grin
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by djoe21(m): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2019
mployer:

It's not luxury tax.

Then remove deposit fees and increase withdrawal fees of such amount. How does deposit fee encourage people to lodge their money in the bank? undecided
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Riscawendy(f): 2:05pm On Sep 18, 2019
I hope they will also provide pos machine for those selling "crayfish" and "ugu" in the market �
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by od501: 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2019
[quote author=mployer post=82330210]

It's not luxury tax.

Cashless economy is synanymous to controlling an individual's financial wealth. That way they will be telling you what to spend on how much to spend e.t.c. This boils down to control, this people what's to start controlling everybody.
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by mmadu4: 2:25pm On Sep 18, 2019
foolish and stupid nigerians . hope you people are enjoying the change you voted for .,
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by francisisking: 3:17pm On Sep 18, 2019
orunmila144:
nigerians want to live like the west but dont want to pay tax like the west grin
it is because they don't earn like the west
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Solsix(m): 3:19pm On Sep 18, 2019
stanech:
Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020
The charges will attract three per cent processing fees for withdrawals and two per cent processing fees for lodgments of amounts above N500,000 for individual accounts.

Starting from September 18, 2019, Nigerians operating bank accounts will begin to pay charges for deposits and withdrawals.

Making the announcement on Tuesday, the Central Bank of Nigeria said that the nationwide implementation of the cashless policy will begin by March 2020.

The apex bank said that implementation of the policy would signal the imposition of charges on deposits in addition to already existing charges on withdrawals.

According to the circular, the charges will attract three per cent processing fees for withdrawals and two per cent processing fees for lodgments of amounts above N500,000 for individual accounts.

For corporate accounts, the apex bank in the circular said that DMBs would charge five per cent processing fee for withdrawals and three per cent for lodgments of amounts above N3m.

The statement, however, disclosed that the charge on deposits would apply in Lagos, Ogun, Kano, Abia, Anambra, and Rivers states as well as the Federal Capital Territory.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/09/17/nigerians-start-paying-bank-deposits-2020
this policy has been tested and it failed why bring it back again??
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by Curry30: 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2019
Femich18:
Tax on deposit? Wow!
This is really Pathetic.

Aim at encouraging cashless transactions? This Govt is not getting their policy right. same Government planning to impose extra VAT on online purchases. You discourage them in one and encourage it another policy. Who does that?
That is confusion to me

The hallmark of a confused propaganda-heavy administration

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by mfm04622: 3:45pm On Sep 18, 2019
nams77:

Those countries with high taxes, do they provide basic amenities?
Nigerians are willing to psy higher for light but let there be steady supply.
You have too much faith in our government. They won't do anything good for the masses. I can almost bet my right kidney grin

That is the problem!
If we don't pay higher prices, where will they have the money to upgrade their facilities to provide the 24 hours service we want?
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by iluvdonjazzy: 4:18pm On Sep 18, 2019
LilSmith55:

As in, upon almost 200 country in this world.
Why Nigeria??
in fact ennh
Re: Nigerians To Start Paying For Bank Deposits In 2020 by iluvdonjazzy: 4:33pm On Sep 18, 2019
orunmila144:
you offend Olodumare and so sopona and babaluaye was unleashed on you
LOL.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

'Obi Cubana POS' Stand In Lagos (Photo) / The War Between GTBank And Innoson Motors Explained By Adeyanju Deji / Crowd Forces Port-Harcourt Mall To Shut Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.