Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,483,096 members, 5,622,722 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 05:36 AM

Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun - Literature (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun (78776 Views)

The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. / Maria: The Sequel / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by sheba222(f): 12:51pm On May 18
Patiently wetin 4 you.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:09pm On May 18
So sorry, guys. Update coming in a moment.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 9:14pm On May 18
LarrySun:
So sorry, guys. Update coming in a moment.

This is good news.. Am glad you're fine..
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:18pm On May 18

Update 30

“So it’s you who gave us up to the police,” Maria said, staring at Yinka with a disapproving expression.

“And it’s something I really regretted doing,” replied the offender, “I had no choice. I was desperate for money. I couldn’t allow my sister to die; she is the only family member I have left in the world. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Binta really looks up to you. She has not been happy with me since the day she heard that I snitched on you.”

“How did you escape the police,” Binta asked. She was sitting on the other side of Maria, her face bright and cheerful. It was obvious that she was very happy to finally meet Maria in person; this was the same woman she had always watched on the television as she played tennis with other men and defeated them. It was incredible that she was sitting beside the same extraordinary woman.

Maria smiled at her and said, “Your brother didn’t report me to the police; at least not exactly.”

Yinka scratched his head. “I didn’t?”

“No, you didn’t.”

“I was sure I did.”

“You only reported me to the policeman’s wife. Fortunately for me, she wasn’t a police officer, and she’s also my very good friend. So you see, Yinka, you don’t really have to apologise to me. You did nothing wrong.”

“I know you are only trying to cheer me up but I still feel bad,’ replied Yinka, “Everything is the fault of that bastard that knocked down Binta and ran off.”

“Were you able to locate him?”

Yinka shook his head. “No.”

“Do you even recognise him?”

“I saw his face. He has a very cruel face. I can remember how he looked at my sister after knocking her down. His face was dark and evil; he looked at my sister as if it was her fault, as if it was his car that had suffered the injury instead of Binta.”

“What would you do if you saw him?” asked Maria.

“I will confront him about what he did, then I will report him to the police.”

Peter laughed. “Oh, you’re so naïve. Well, I don’t see how you’re going to locate him in the first place in this city.”

“I know I’m going to meet him someday.”

“I wish you good luck in your quest.”

“At least I know his name.”

“If you know his name, then why don’t you go and report it to the police station? The police will find the culprit faster than you.”

“I thought about that,” said Yinka, frowning, “But I’m not sure that’s going to help.”

“It’s only one name I know; I don’t know his full name. I don’t even know if the name is his first name or surname. The police cannot go on on only one name.”

“You may be surprised at how policemen can dig people out. Just go and drop the name first. It won’t cost you anything.”

“Okay, I’ll do that tomorrow; it would be the first thing I would do tomorrow morning.”

“What’s the bastard’s name?’ Maria suddenly asked.

“Salami.”

Peter froze. “What did you just say?”

Yinka was confused. “Say what?”

“You mentioned a name just now. What’s it?”

“The name of the driver who hit Binta?”

“Yes. What’s it?”

“Salami.”

“Describe the man.”

Yinka looked uncertain. “I’m not very good with description. All I can say is that the man has an evil face. I don’t know how I can describe it; whenever you look in his eyes, you immediately feel a qualm. It’s not someone you would want to associate with on first sight.”

“Does he have a pot-belly?”

“I can’t tell. You see, he was sitting in his car when I saw him. Besides, I saw only his face through the side mirror.”

“Tell me you’re not talking about Chief Honourable Salami.”

“Who is that?”

“You must be kidding me,” said Black, “Have you not been watching the TV?”

“Our television is faulty,” Binta said.

Peter smiled. “I’ll give you one.”

“Really?” Binta jumped up. “Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr Black.”

“You make me feel so old,” said Peter, “Just call me Peter Black.”

“Okay, Peter Black.”

Peter searched his pockets for one of the campaign flyers but couldn’t find. He turned to Yinka, “Please give me a moment.”

He left them and found his way back to the doctor’s office. He was sure the doctor would keep one of the flyers with him. He knocked three times just like the nurse had done in his presence. The doctor ushered him in.

“Hello Mr Black. I’m glad you came back. I was afraid you might leave without hearing what I have to tell you.”

“I’m so sorry, doctor. But that’s not why I came here. I have something very important to ask of you.”

“Oh, please go ahead then.”

“Do you by any chance have any copy of the Salami campaign flyers? I need it urgently.”

“Salami flyers?” The doctor had obviously not expected that kind of question. “Are you all right, Mr Black?”

“I’m perfectly fine, doctor.”

“What do you need a flyer for?”

“You won’t understand. Do you have it or not?”

The doctor shook his head. “I’m afraid I don’t.”

Peter looked downcast. “That’s so sad. I want to show someone his picture.”

“If it’s the picture of the man you want, then I think I have it somewhere.”

Peter’s eyes brightened up immediately. “Oh really?”

“Yes, I’m sure I have his pictures in some newspapers I have here.” He started flipping through stacks of newspapers until he came across the picture of Salami. It was an advertisement of his chairmanship aspiration. Fortunately for Peter, it was printed in colour on the page. He cut out that page and left the doctor’s office.

“Don’t forget to see me before you leave. It’s very important.” The doctor called after him, but Peter was not listening.

“Is this the man who knocked down your sister?” Peter said, showing Yinka the newspaper clipping.

“Oh yes! This is the devil! He’s the one! How did you get this picture? Where did you find it?”

Peter smiled. “Are you sure he’s the one?”

“I am very sure, absolutely sure.”

“If that’s the case,” said Peter, “Then I’ll need your help.”

“Does that help have anything to do with bringing down the devil?”

Peter nodded.

Yinka smiled broadly. “Then count me in.”

It was two days before the long awaited Election. Peter had given the perfect instruction. Nothing would go wrong if they played their part well. Yinka held his sister by the hand as they walked into the compound of the state television station. Although Binta was able to walk without a crutch now but Peter had insisted that she used the crutch. That would make their story sound a lot more convincing. Yinka wanted to impress both Peter and Maria. Knowing them personally had convinced him and his sister that they were nice people; and he was glad that they had a child coming. He promised to take part in taking care of the child. To him they were now family members; he saw Peter as an older brother – probably an uncle – and Maria as an older sister he never had. He was glad, and he could see that his sister, too, was full of life. They would never be alone again.

“We’d like to see Presenter Sandra,” Yinka told one of the technicians around.

“Is she expecting you?”

“Yes, sir,” replied Yinka, “We spoke together on phone. She gave us an appointment to meet her here today at this exact time.”

“Okay. Wait here while I inform her of your presence.”
Yinka and his sister sat down quietly. His heart was beating fast but he managed to remain calm. If he was alone, he probably would have panicked, but he must not do that. Unlike him, Binta was anxious; she was looking forward to meeting Presenter Sandra; another celebrity she had always seen appear in the television. Sandra was famous for exposing dirty secrets of prominent people in the society. How she got her information, nobody knew, but anything he said on screen was usually true and backed up with irrefutable series of evidence. She had once exposed a popular musician who slept with a minor. She had shown on the television the picture of the accused kissing a young girl in a secondary school uniform. The musician had been arrested and sentenced to jail when other young girls also came forward and revealed what the man had been doing to them too. Anyone whose name was mentioned by Presenter Sandra was often doomed; the people had learnt to trust her judgement of people. Sometimes, she would bring the victims to live television to explain what had happened to them, other times she would invite the accused and drill them with questions that would make them even a lot guiltier than they already were. Presenter Sandra was feared among the rich and the popular; everyone always tried to avoid having any encounter with her.

On many occasions, she had been offered a huge sum of money as bribe not to expose an accused; but Sandra was a woman of integrity, she cherished her name and reputation over anything. Nobody had been able to buy her. Anyone who came to her offering bribe was only putting more nails in their coffin because that would appear to Sandra that the accused was actually guilty and she would be pushed to do more extensive investigations and dig up more dirt on the person. Attempts had been made on her life at least five times but she always escaped in miraculous manners. Her guest had been shot by hired killers in her home instead of her; the killers had mistaken the other lady for her. Once the brakes of her car had failed but she still managed to survive the inevitable accident. After a while, her enemies gave up trying to kill her. She was simply indestructible.

“Hi,” Presenter Sandra appeared, smiling at Yinka and his sister.

Binta would have jumped up had she not remembered that she needed to act like a really sick person. “Hi. My name is Binta and this is my brother Yinka.”

“Oh, you’re Binta; the one who got run over by Honourable Salami, right?”

The girl nodded.

“Okay. The programme is starting any moment from now. Let’s go, please. Remember that I’m going to be asking you both some questions and I want you to answer them all very truthfully. Do you both understand?”

The siblings nodded.

“I want you both to have this at the corner of your mind. I stand only for the truth. I am not moved by your crutch or whatever story you have to say. Mind is to fish out the truth. The people watching at home might sympathize with you but don’t expect that from me. And if I discover that you have been lying I will make you regret ever calling my number. Do you understand everything I just told you?”

“Yes, Presenter Sandra,” the two said in unison.

“Good. Now follow me.”

She led them into the studio where three seats had already been prepared. They all sat down while the camera crew aimed their gadgets in their faces. A ten-second countdown was given and they were on air.
Sandra smiled at the camera and began: “Good evening Nigerians. This is Sandra Williams once again and we are on a new episode of Fishing Out the Skeletons with Sandra. As usual, I have something new to share with you tonight. We are in a world where wickedness is being seen as an everyday thing, but I won’t allow it. I will never compromise. I will continue to expose evil people and their evil deeds. A lot of people out there we think have honours are actually monsters. Until we discover their evil acts, we will not know the kind of people they really are.

“Sitting with me here tonight are two siblings who are victims of circumstances. But it is not my place to tell you what happened to them. Thankfully, they are still around to tell you their stories.” She turned to Yinka, “Kindly tell Nigerians your name, gentleman.”

“My name is Yinka Rhodes.”

“And you, young girl, tell us your name, please.”

“My name is Binta Rhodes.”

“Okay. Without wasting time, can you please tell us why you are here tonight?” She was speaking directly to Yinka.

“Over four months ago, I was walking my sister home from school when my sister here was knocked down by a car. Since that moment, I have been struggling to pay up her hospital bills.”

“So why are you here?”

“Our presence here is to tell you the person who knocked her down.”

“And who is the person?”

“His name is Chief Honourable Salami; the present running candidate for the position of the next local government chairman.”

“Are you sure about what you’re saying?”

“Yes, I am sure. I saw his face when he hit my sister. My sister was lying there in a pool of blood and the man did not wait. Instead of coming down to help my sister, he drove off wickedly.” Tears had begun to stream down Yinka’s face. Binta too cast down her face to hide her tears.

“Why did you have to wait for four months before coming forward?”

“I have been struggling to pay for my sister’s hospital bills since that time. I didn’t know about anything going on in the community. It was recently I saw his picture in a newspaper. I was shocked to see that such a kind of man is running for a public office. A man who can ignore a dying girl should not be leading us in this community.” Peter had told him to leave his name totally out of this, and Yinka had not forgotten.

“Where are your parents, Yinka? I expect them to be here with you two.”

“Our parents are dead. They died in a car crash three years ago. I have been the only one taking care of my sister ever since. She’s the only family member I have left in the world and someone tried to take her from me.”

“How have you been able to pay for your sister’s medical bills so far?”

“I’ve been doing some labouring jobs. I go to construction sites and work to get some money. I have been struggling that way for the past three years.” Yinka wiped the tears on his face and sighed. “I did not come here to beg for money. I am here to tell Honourable Salami to take responsibility for his action. My sister must not die. He hit her, so he has to come and pay for the rest of her medical bills. That’s the only reason why I’m here. Thank you.”

9 Likes

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:02pm On May 18
Peter Black is gradually getting his revenge,the same goes for Yinka Rhodes..

Honourable Chief Salami is doomed.. He might try to harm Yinka and Binta.. Protection should be made available for them..

BRAVO LARRYSUN. Thanks for making my night..
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by domido(m): 10:25pm On May 18
"She gave us an appointment to meet him here today"
I know that's an error.

Still I follow
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by okeyben10: 10:53pm On May 18
Thank you o oga boss.

As i dey read ds one i just dey remember how you asked us to crack d code for 10k. And I'm telling my self thank God i didn't try tongue

That code we waited how many chapters for.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 11:02pm On May 18
okeyben10:
Thank you o oga boss.

As i dey read ds one i just dey remember how you asked us to crack d code for 10k. And I'm telling my self thank God i didn't try tongue

That code we waited how many chapters for.
Hahahahaha! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 11:02pm On May 18
domido:
"She gave us an appointment to meet him here today"
I know that's an error.

Still I follow
Yes, it is. Thanks, rival. angry
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 11:03pm On May 18
EkopSparoAyara:
Peter Black is gradually getting his revenge,the same goes for Yinka Rhodes..

Honourable Chief Salami is doomed.. He might try to harm Yinka and Binta.. Protection should be made available for them..

BRAVO LARRYSUN. Thanks for making my night..
Thanks for following, sir. smiley

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Mrmoore14(m): 5:04am On May 19
Thanks Larrysun for the update........ I never saw it coming again!!!
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Nickymezor(f): 9:11am On May 19
Thanks for the update oga Larry
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by domido(m): 10:22am On May 19
LarrySun:
Yes, it is. Thanks, rival. angry

Ok
We agree on this, rival cool cool
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by pablobellins(m): 1:06pm On May 20
cool story still larry.

Just wondering; what peter was gonna do if he hadnt met yinks and binta.

Like what was his plan; he didnt run away with the money; he bought d TVs instead, thereby the people was gonna vote salami.

I noticed i hvnt bn seeing ur whatsapp story for a while now? I thought u deleted ur no. Till i found out i was no longer hvn ur no. Upgraded to another phone; could u pls text me larrysun... 0810four4737one4.

Cheerss
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Ann2012(f): 6:41pm On May 20
Chief Salami will soon meet his doom

Thanks for the update Boss
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Kaycee9242(m): 6:58am On May 21
salami is in a hot soup, thanks so much Larry for d update
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by nkemdave(m): 9:16am On May 21
[quote author=LarrySxun post=89699161][/quote]

Another showdown btw Black and Baskie loading in episode 31 & 32. grin grin cheesy
Watch out for it grin grin
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 11:14am On May 21
pablobellins:
cool story still larry.

Just wondering; what peter was gonna do if he hadnt met yinks and binta.

Like what was his plan; he didnt run away with the money; he bought d TVs instead, thereby the people was gonna vote salami.

I noticed i hvnt bn seeing ur whatsapp story for a while now? I thought u deleted ur no. Till i found out i was no longer hvn ur no. Upgraded to another phone; could u pls text me larrysun... 0810four4737one4.

Cheerss
He had always had his plan...to gain Salami's trust, and ultimately take the only possession most precious to him.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Ajibade123(m): 1:48pm On May 22
LarrySun:
He had always had his plan...to gain Salami's trust, and ultimately take the only possession most precious to him.
Larrysun what is title of the first novel in the black Maria series...the one of Peter Black alone
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by dhesire(m): 4:38pm On May 22
Bros Larry, miguó!
I hail o.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 5:50pm On May 22
Ajibade123:

Larrysun what is title of the first novel in the black Maria series...the one of Peter Black alone

The first one is titled “Black Maria”
The second one is “Maria”
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:04pm On May 22
Ajibade123:

Everything is one title Black Maria. I just decided to partition it into 5 Books. The first is Black Maria (Book 1).
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:13pm On May 22
LarrySun:
Everything is one title Black Maria. I just decided to partition it into 5 Books. The first is Black Maria (Book 1).

5 books??

That means we still have two more to go because we're on the third one here..
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:35am On May 23
EkopSparoAyara:

5 books??

That means we still have two more to go because we're on the third one here..
Yes. Already started the fourth.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:47am On May 23
LarrySun:
Oh wow, am anticipating..
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by pablobellins(m): 10:18pm On May 24
LarrySun:
some people wont take this expo too well.

Meanwhile, tiday is sunday fah
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:34pm On May 24
pablobellins:
some people wont take this expo too well.

Meanwhile, tiday is sunday fah

It seems we will have to wait till tomorrow, like last week..
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 7:16pm On May 25

Update 31

All thanks to Peter Black, thousands of common people were able to sit in the comfort of their homes to watch the popular programme Fishing Out the Skeletons with Sandra; they didn’t have to grovel before their privileged neighbours to watch television anymore. These thousands of family, both the rich and the not rich, sat before their TVs and watched as Yinka and his sister narrate their ordeals in the hands of the cruel Chief Honourable Salami; the same honourable man they had all been praising.

“You said Honourable Salami does not deserve the chairmanship position he’s running for,” said Sandra from the television, “Why do you think so?”

“From my own personal assessment,” answered Yinka, “I may be wrong though. I don’t think the man has the interest of the people at heart. A man who couldn’t wait to help a girl he ran over is not worthy of leading other people.”

“Did you know that he shared television sets to the poor in the city? No other politician has ever done something like that. I wouldn’t call that selfish. Do you realise the amount of money he spent on that campaign?”

Yinka shrugged. “As a matter of fact, I’m not moved by what he did. He knew what he was doing. The television sets he shared were only investments. He would get back the money he spent and more as soon as he attains the post. It’s still the people who would suffer it. He gave out the television to deceive people into thinking that he was the right person, where in fact, anyone beside him would be perfect for the position. I am almost twenty years old. When I go out to vote in two days’ time, I certainly know that I would not be voting for Honourable Salami.”

Towards the end of the programme, the people were still skeptical about believing what Yinka had been saying; there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that his words were true. But their doubts changed when people started calling in on the programme and explaining that they were there when the accident happened. Everything they said corrobated with what Yinka had told Sandra.

By the time the programme finally ended, no one doubted the veracity of Yinka’s claims anymore; the orphaned siblings had been saying the truth after all. As some people changed the TV station while others switched off their televisions to finally retire to bed, one thing was certain – they had all made their minds about who they would be voting for.

The following day after Yinka and his sister had made the announcement, financial supports started flooding into the television station. People who had listened to the boy’s story from the television had sent in some money to Yinka to assist him in paying for his sister’s medical bills. The money had been so much that Yinka was sure he would not have to do any labouring job to support himself and his sister anymore. And apart from the donations from the people, Peter and Maria had not only gifted them with a Salami television, they had also given the siblings a huge sum of money. Peter, however, had encouraged Yinka to pursue higher education and make a better life for himself. This was an opportunity he and Maria never had; it would be an honour to them if Yinka and his sister turned out successful in life. Peter knew within himself that he had the opportunity to pursue further education but he was the one who decided to eschew that chance; he had not listened to Basket when the boy suggested they invested in their education. Instead, Peter had believed that he had found his own calling in stealing. To him, no profession in the world was more lucrative than stealing; the only risk was getting caught. If you could manage to not get caught, then you would live your whole life in affluence. Which work didn’t come with its own risk anyway? And who had the right to claim that one job was more honourable than the other? It was on this flawed logic that Peter had been operating all these years.

Although the rate at which he stole these days had considerably reduced, he was still a thief anyway. Once a thief, always a thief. That was why he still saw Basket as a fellow colleague in the art of stealing. Peter never believed it was possible t completely give up stealing. One way or the other, everybody is a thief. You can be stealing without knowing you are. Bank managers, politicians, all civil servants, teachers, chief executive officers of companies, insurance brokers – they are all thieves. The only difference between them and Peter is that they could all do it without getting arrested for it because it had been seen as the norm of the society. But when someone like Peter did it in the only way he knew, people would wail.

The police were the worst of the lot, Peter had theorized. Basket should know better than to join the police force. They were the worst thieves; in some communities, people would welcome robbers in their homes over policemen. Many innocent people had died under the brutality of the police just as much as under thieves. As a matter of fact, in some situations, you stand a chance of leaving alive from a thief than from a policeman. The only thing a thief needs from you is your money. If you can obey, you are most likely able to leave unscathed; the people who often got injured were the stubborn and disobedient ones. But such is not often the case with a policeman; apart from the fact that they will take your money (through bribery, extortion, manipulation duress and coercion), you chance of being left alive can be slim. They may just decide to kill you to stop you from reporting what had been done to you. Eventually, after you have been shot to death, you will be falsely called a thief who had been gunned down because you were trying to flee. They place untraceable guns on your corpse and a few wads of money and take pictures of their bravery. The world that knows nothing will spit on you and praise the police. It is a crazy world.

Peter was sure that he would never be caught. But if luck turned against him and he was eventually caught; there were things he was ready to reveal to the press. He would have no cause to hide the fact about his days with Officer John Balewa in Port-Harcourt.

He smiled at a thought that just crossed his mind. He and Basket might be sharing a prison cell after all. Still, he hoped it never came to that; he hoped Basket came to his right sense on time before things finally went out of control.

MORSECODE

That was everything Basket had needed to finally unravel the code in its entirety. All thanks to Officer Abbah, he had been able to discover Peter Black’s plan. He hoped the discovery had come on time, he prayed it had.

Basket knew that if it wasn’t for his knowledge of Morse Code – another topic he had been taught about in the police academy – he wouldn’t have been able to decipher the code so soon. He knew Peter didn’t intend to make things easy for him.

Before anything else Basket had written out the Morse codes he discovered from each page of the book.

.. .. .
… .-- . .- .-. .-- --- .-- .-.. -.. .- --
--- -. …. .- …- . .-. . .- -.. -.-.
-- -.-- - .- -.- . -. - ---
…. --- -. --- ..- .-. -… .- -.-. -.- -.- .. .-.. .-..
- …. .- - . …- . -.- -.-- - … .. -. --. -- -.-- … . .-.. ..-.
--- -. -.-. …. .. . ..-. .. ..-.
-- -.-- … .- .-.. .- -- .. ..
- .-- . -. - -.-- - --- --- -.- -.. --- -. -
- …. .. .-. -.. ..-. .-. --- -- -- .- -.- .
-… .. .-. - …. -.. .- -.-- -- -.-- …. .. --
..-. .- -- .. .-.. -.-. .--. .- -.—

Basket knew that this would appear like gibberish to an uninformed mind; even Officer Abbah who had come up with the clue would not understand this because he probably lacked the Morse Code training; it was often easy to skip classes on these topics.

These kinds of trainings were not usually taken serious in this part of the world; or perhaps the students never valued them. To them, no criminal would go so long to conceal clues; criminals of the country were usually underestimated in situations where they should be overestimated; and the versa got viced in the same manner.

After writing down the dots and dashes correctly; he proceeded to write down their individual letterings.

A (.-) B (-…) C (-.-.) D (-..) E (.) F (..-.) G (--.) H (….) I (..) J (.---) K (-.-) L (.-..) M (--) N (-.) O (---) P (.--.) Q (--.-) R (.-.) S (…) T (-) U (..-) V (…-) W (.--) X (-..-) Y (-.--) Z (--..)

Now with the A-Z letter transcriptions, Basket began to insert the letters to the shapes, carefully observing the spacing, rows and columns. He was absolutely careful for he knew how tedious it would be to start all over again. It was interesting creating and breaking codes, but a simple slip up could make one deeply fatigued, or depressed in a worst-case scenario. Without wasting much time, he started forming out the letters and words. He was able to establish that each word was arranged in column, so he followed the process judiciously but wrote the words out in horizontal as they were supposed to be.

I SWEAR ON MY HONOUR THAT ON MY TWENTY THIRD BIRTHDAY
I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BACK EVERYTHING CHIEF SALAMI TOOK FROM MY FAMILY
I AM READY TO KILL MYSELF IF I DONT MAKE HIM PAY

Basket had been shocked by the last line. It had taken him a long time to recover from what he had just read.

He had never thought that Peter was someone who would resort to suicide because of failure. No, the Peter he used to know was a survivor; he had survived even at a boy what would have killed a grownup. Even Basket himself was not sure he had as much courage as Peter Black. Peter had been exposed to a kind of nightmare even Basket would not want to wish on his worst enemy at the time, but the boy had survived.

He had fallen a thousand times but he always picked himself up every time. He had never given up on anything. Whenever Peter Black set him mind on anything, he always made sure he achieved that thing. Of course; hadn’t he set his mind on Rhoda? Didn’t he have her? Hadn’t he set his mind on Maria? Today, the girl was pregnant for him. Was there anything in this life that Peter wanted but didn’t get? Basket wondered, thinking deeply. He couldn’t come up with anything; Peter was an ambitious person; he was a goal-getter. If he had set his mind on something more honourable than stealing, there was hardly anything he would not be able to achieve.

Then it occurred to him. There was something Peter had not been able to get. It was stated here in the paper – his revenge on Chief Salami. The man had been the bane of his suffering right from childhood. Indeed, the man could be blamed for the kind of person Peter had turned out to become today. If Balewa had not killed the boy’s father and sent him and his mother away, Peter would have had no reason to become a thief in the first place. Everything should be blamed on Chief Salami.

But still, thought Basket, a man should be responsible for his action. Even though Chief Salami had sent them packing out of his mansion into an uncompleted building, it was not the man who stole that loaf of bread. It was Peter. The boy had chosen to take the bread; he had chosen to become a thief. Considering the circumstance, his action could be justified at the moment; his mother was dying and he had to feed her. There was no other way; everyone he begged to help him did not listen to him. He had no choice but to steal that bread – there was a very good reason for his action. As a matter of fact, everyone would do the same thing if put in such a circumstance. Still, he had every chance to correct his own path. He grew up into a man; he had all the opportunity to make a better life for himself; he could have chosen to earn an honest living but he didn’t. If his decision as a child could be forgiven, then he should be held responsible for the choices he made as an adult. Basket understood that it was hard for a thief to quit; thievery could be very addictive, just like gambling, and it only took a very strong person to stop it. Obviously, Peter had not been as strong as he thought he was.

Basket stared at the paper in confusion. It was plain to him now that Peter’s intention was to rob Chief Salami. The thief wanted to take everything the man had. Basket wondered how Peter was going to achieve that; such a feat was close to impossible.

Chief Salami was one of the richest persons in the whole of Port-Harcourt. How did Peter hope he was going to take back everything the man owned. And if he wanted to take his revenge on Chief Salami, wasn’t he supposed to do it in Port-Harcourt? What was he doing here in Lagos?

Except, oh of course, except Chief Salami is in Lagos. It was now plain to him everything was clear; Peter had remained in Lagos because Chief Salami was also in Lagos. Salami was the only person tying him down in Lagos, preventing him from escaping.

The note just revealed that Peter had vowed to take everything from the man on his twenty-third birthday. Basket knew it was this year – Peter would be turning twenty-three this year – 1993. It was April – April 15th.
“Oh my God!” he whispered.

It was this month. Today was April 1st, a Thursday. In exactly two weeks’ time, Peter Black would become twenty-three years old, and he would have robbed Chief Salami.

Basket knew he had to prevent that from happening. This would be his only chance of finally catching Peter Black.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Lyzbet: 7:19pm On May 25
Thanks Larry. Replying before I read. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by hardeycute(m): 7:47pm On May 25
Larrysun, you're the best.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Fazemood(m): 8:21pm On May 25
Stupid basket
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Ann2012(f): 8:39pm On May 25
Can Basket just leave my Blacky aloneangry

Thanks for the update

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos / S€X Story : My Lovely Houseboy Episode 1 To 10

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 280
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.