Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,620 members, 7,770,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:35 PM

Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun (133595 Views)

Black Maria 5 - Retribution (The Final Book) / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by UnusualJhay(m): 11:52am On Nov 22, 2019
More please
Larrysun! !
You are gifted bro
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Vulcanheph(m): 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
Frontpage twice in one week......hmmm

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by babaireti(m): 2:59pm On Nov 22, 2019
Great writer of out time,bravo
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by QuintessentialW: 3:10pm On Nov 22, 2019
Why is this story on Front Page? kiss Larrysun left us to dry for months!
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by jadeliyi(m): 12:13pm On Nov 23, 2019
BankyGee Purple Oya Come Here O, !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:15am On Nov 24, 2019

Update 7

John Balewa left office immediately; he was as piqued as the time he heard about what had happened to Maria in prison. He wore his usual police uniform and held his pistol along. He always felt safer carrying his gun; there might be a time he would need it. carrying it with him had saved his life in the past, and he wasn’t ready to gamble with his own life now. Even when he wore mufti, he preferred his pistol around him. For the past years, the gun had proved to be his closest companion. Although he hardly used it, he never always felt really complete without it.

He arrived at the hospital in a little over an hour. He was immediately directed to the old man’s ward.

“I recognise you,” he told the man as soon as he saw him.

“You didn’t recognise me when I approached you.”

“I didn’t know who you were,” relied John sitting on the only chair in the ward, “You acted very strange that day.”

“How are your parents?”

“Wait, do they not know you are here?”

The man shook his head. “Nobody knew I was still alive.”

“Where have you been all these years? The news I heard was that your canoe capsized and you drowned.”

The man shook his head slowly. “Your parents didn’t want you to hate me. That was why they told you that story.”

“What really happened?”

“I was a terrible grandfather. As soon as your grandmother died, I became someone else entirely. I didn’t care anymore about my children, about my family. I became totally lost. Obiajulu was the love of my life; she was the only one who held my sanity together. I didn’t imagine that she would go before me. I became a shadow of myself. I couldn’t concentrate on anything. Nothing mattered to me anymore. The world became blank, my world turned black. I started living a reckless life. A life that was not meant for someone in my position. I took to drinking, smoking – gambling. I was totally damaged. Then I met a younger woman along the way and sacrificed the rest of my life just to be with her. It wasn’t that I loved her or anything like that. She just gave me her body willingly for everything I had. As long as I continued giving her money, she was okay with satisfying me. I sold a lot of my property just to keep her. It got so worse that my children deserted me. All my family members hated me. You were my favourite grandson but your parents kept you away from me. They were afraid I might influence you negatively with my lifestyle. My family deserted me and I disowned them in return. After selling my property, I left Delta with the seductress and lived a life of carelessness.

“When the money drained out, I took to gambling. At first, I hit it big and lived a more lavish lifestyle. I had enough wisdom to buy an old house from the family of the deceased owner. The woman and I lived there for a while. I gave her everything she wanted. We lived expensively. But that didn’t stop her from bringing other men into the house whenever I was away. But I didn’t care about that either, as long as she gave herself to me whenever I wanted it. I hadn’t spent half of my winning when I hit another jackpot. It was as if nature used goodluck to console me for my loss; like life was sorry for taking the love of my life for me, so it was making up for its mistake by blessing me abundantly.

“I was quite rich. I couldn’t spend all the money in five years. But one day, the seductress I had forsaken my family for betrayed me. I should have seen it coming; in fact, everything was staring at me in the eye but I was too blinded by lust to reason well or take proper action. I went out one day and returned to an empty house. The woman had grabbed all my money and disappeared with her lover. I remember being drunk that day I discovered that I had been robbed. I didn’t care at all about it. I was very sure I was going to win another big money from gambling.

“But it was not to be. What I didn’t realise was that the woman, the cheater, the seductress, was the one who brought me the goodluck. And when she left, she left with the goodluck. Since the moment she left, I didn’t win anything substantial. I lost more than I won. And at this time, I was too addicted to gambling to stop, including the bout of drinking and smoking and eating just anything I could find. Every coin I found, I gambled it away. I was an old man with nobody to take care of me. I was too poor to go back to my family in Delta, and no one was willing to buy the house for me. Apparently, when the money was too much for me, I had bought the house for a price way more than its worth. But now, no one wanted to buy it for a quarter of its price. I soon accepted my fate and continued living my life until the sickness began this year.”

“You were sick?”

“I was dying. I was lonely. I had nobody; there was no friend, no neighbor. I was all on my own. At first, I was taking drugs but when no drug seemed to be working, I stopped taking them and accepted what was meant to be. It was time for me to go and meet Obiajulu. I was glad that I would finally be with the only woman in the world I ever loved. Then the boy came in.”

“Which boy?”

“Peter Black.”

“The same Peter Black that told you to call me?”

“Do you know of any other Peter Black?”

“How come?”

The old man shrugged.

“How in the world did he know you?”

“I’m not sure that he knew me,” said Old Man Balewa. “He was running from people chasing him and hid in my house. He found me dying and brought me here.”

“Wow!”

“I owe my life to that boy. If not for him, I would have died.”

“This is so hard to believe,” said John, “How did he know that you were my grandfather?”

“He put two and two together and got twenty-two.”

“Old Balé,” said Basket, “You should stay away from Peter Black. He is of no good.”

“He’s a thief, isn’t he?”

“Did he tell you that?”

“I knew before he told me. But he’s has stopped.”

Basket scoffed. “Is that what he told you?”

“According to him, everything depends on you?”

Basket frowned. “What does that mean?”

“The bag in the dustbin,” the old man suddenly said, “Tell me, what does that mean?”

Basket was reluctant about talking.

“Speak out, boy.”

“Did he tell you how we met?”

“No. he said you would tell me.”

“It’s a long story.”

“That’s the same thing he told me. I’m tired of hearing that nonsense. Tell me what happened between both of you.”

“He betrayed me.”

“Tell me how you met,” said the man, staring directly into his grandson’s eyes. “And don’t you dare lie to me, boy.”

“We met in Port-Harcourt.”

“What were you doing in Port-Harcourt?”

“I ran away from home.”

“What!”

“Mother and Father were always fighting. I had to leave the toxic environment. They did not care about me. They were always drunk. I needed to go out and make a life for myself.”

“And what were you doing to survive in Port-Harcourt?”

Basket was quiet.

“Has the cat got your tongue?”

“Stealing.”

“So you and Peter Black were stealing together?”

“Not at first,” said Basket, “He found me trying to rob a blind man and stopped me. Then he took me to his home and gave me food. I was dying of hunger. I was desperate. He gave me food and shelter. We later discovered that we were both thieves and things started from there.”

Basket’s grandfather sighed. “I will hear the rest of it later. For now, tell me about the bag in the dustbin.”

“It was a bag containing money we found during one of our operations.”

“You robbed someone of his bag of money?”

“Not exactly.”

“How exactly?”

“We found the bag where armed robbers hid it. They were running from the police and threw it in the dustbin.”

“And you found it?”

“Yes.”

“You or Peter?”

“Actually Peter. He found it and called my attention to it.”

“And where is the money now?”

“Old Balé, it was a long time ago.”

“What happened to the money?” asked the old man. “If it wasn’t important, Peter Black would not have mentioned it.”

“Well –” he paused.

“Well what?”

“I took the money when I was leaving.”

Bale frowned. “I don’t seem to understand what you mean.”

“When he betrayed me, I took the money to serve as his punishment.”

“Wait, pause right there. Let me get you right. You carried the money he discovered because he betrayed you?”

“That’s right,” Basket replied grimly.

“What could he have done to deserve such kind of cruelty?”

“Balé, it’s more serious than you think.”

“I thought you said it was a long time ago.”

“What he did was about five years ago.”

“Tell me about it.”

“He was sleeping with the woman I loved.”

Old Balewa frowned. “Tell me the feud of half a decade wasn’t about a woman.”

“I loved her, Balé! I loved her and he slept with her! She was the only woman in the world I loved.”

“You sacrificed your friendship over a woman? This boy gave you shelter and fed you. He was the only person who truly cared about you. And because he made a mistake, you robbed him. That’s cruel.”

“Why are you supporting him over me?”

“Because you’re stupid! That’s why! You gave up something as sacred as true friendship because of a woman? How have you been able to live with yourself? You took the money he discovered and left him high and dry. Did you even consider how he was going to survive when you walked out on him?”

“He was a thief. He would always find a way to survive.”

“That’s a selfish thought. Did you listen to his own side of the story?”

Basket was about to tell him that the girl was originally Peter’s girlfriend but he held his tongue. He knew how the old man would react to that news.

“Now what happened to the money?”

“I used it for my education.”

The man stared at Basket as if the young man had just soiled his own trousers. “So what you are now was all because of Peter Black. You became the person you are because of his money. He indirectly made you the person you are. Yet you are hunting him down, why?”

“I’m a police officer now. It’s my job to arrest criminals. Peter Black is a criminal; I am obligated to arrest him. It’s nothing personal.”

“That’s nonsense! You know deep in your heart that it’s personal. You want to exact more revenge on him. I can see it in your eyes. You hatred for him is very raw. You want to bring him down. I bet you intentionally became a policeman because you want to destroy him for what he did to you years ago.”

“Peter Black is not the kind of person you think he is. You don’t know him at all. He’s a snake.”

“I think I know him pretty well. He saved my life. He gave you shelter. He literally saved your life too. I think I know him enough. It’s you I don’t seem to know. I cannot believe my own grandson would sacrifice something most important over something as ephemeral as a woman’s pleasure. If I was dead, I would be turning with disgust in my grave.”

“It’s not what you think.”

“I think you have had enough revenge. He has asked me to talk to you.”

“He and I have nothing to talk about.”

“He knew you wouldn’t listen to him. That’s why he came to you and begged me to talk to you. You need to stop chasing him.”

Basket stood up slowly. “I’m afraid that’s impossible.”

“You wouldn’t want to disobey me, would you?”

“I can’t disobey you.”

“Then I forbid you from arresting Peter Black. You should be putting medals on his neck, not handcuffs in his hands.”

“He’s a notorious thief. He’s known all over Lagos and Port-Harcourt. He’s a wanted man, Balé.”

“You were once a thief, too, right? Now see how you turned out. It shows that everyone can change.”

“Not Peter Black. He’s a lost cause. Stealing is his way of life. There’s no way someone like him can ever stop stealing. I lived with him for almost ten years. There were many times I had told him to seek other ventures but he never listened. He told me himself that he would never stop stealing. Don’t believe anything he tells you. He’s a liar and also a deceiver.”

“It’s true. He’s ready to stop. If he’s not, he wouldn’t have asked me to talk to you. He’s willing to give up stealing if you would back off and stop hunting him. He just wants to live a quiet life now, Efe. You owe him that, at least.”

“It’s not as simple as you are looking at it.”

“Are you saying you are not going to back off? Do you mean that you are not ready to let bygones be bygones? Why don’t you consider all the good he has done in the past? If not for him, you wouldn’t be speaking with me now. Do you want one single wrong to destroy all the good he has done? Haven’t you done enough by taking the money from him?”

Basket stared into his grandfather’s eyes. The way the old man looked at him tore at his heart. This was the man he knew as his hero when he was a little kid. It hurt him to break the man’s heart now. Now that he was a grownup and he had found his lost grandfather, he wanted to be the hero to the old man now.

“Okay,” said Basket, “I will stop chasing him.”

The old man’s face brightened up. “Is that a promise to your old man?”

“I will make the promise on one condition.”

The smile disappeared from the elderly man’s face. “Condition?”

“Peter Black escaped with a girl that used to be a patient of this hospital.”

“You mean Maria?”

“How did you know her?”

“Peter told me about her.”

“Well, if he wants me to stop chasing him, he has to hand over Maria to me.”

Old Man Balewa shook his head vigorously. “No, that cannot work.”

“How do you mean?”

“Peter is not going to give her up.”

“Why not?”

“He’s not going to betray her, that’s why.”

“Betray her? He just met her. He doesn’t even know her. What he did is against the law. I am willing to let him be but he must give up Maria. He’s keeping a wanted criminal with him. That’s a crime.”

The man frowned again. “Why do you have to complicate things, Efe? Why? Can’t you just let them be?”

“This is why I told you it’s not as simple as you think. Apart from the fact that Maria is a prisoner, she also needs medical attention. She’s not going to get better under Peter Black.”

“Can’t you just leave them alone?”

“I’m a police officer, grandpa. I have duties. I am willing to do what you requested from me. We must come to a truce, too.”

“He’s never going to give her up.”

“Why not?”

“He’s in love with her.”

John Balewa was silent for a while. “Love?”

The old man was silent.

“Did you not just tell me that I allowed a woman to come between us? Are you going to tell Peter the same thing? I was in love with Rhoda, I was genuinely in love with her, but the significance didn’t occur to you. Instead, you told me I allowed a woman to come between us. If Peter really wants peace, he must give up Maria.”

“He cannot. He cannot give her up. She is the major reason why he came to me to plead to you.”

“That is the only thing I request. If he can give up Maria, I promise you I will never go after him again. But if not, I will hunt him through a thousand universes. I will not rest until he ends up in jail. This is my sincere promise.”

The old man stared at his grandson’s eyes and saw determination. The stubbornness and the stupidity of the Balewas were written all over Efe. He was suddenly afraid, very afraid indeed. He knew how it always ended when best friends suddenly became sworn enemies.

“I tried my best,” the man finally said. “I really tried my best.”

He reached under his pillow and brought out the piece of paper. It was folded. He didn’t bother opening it for he knew its content already. He didn’t understand what it mean, he doubted that his grandson would understand it either. But Peter had told him to give it to Basket if he refused to back off. He stretched the paper forward.

“What’s that?” John asked.

“Take it. Peter told me to give it to you.”

John Balewa collected the slip and slowly unfolded it. He ran his eyes through it. He frowned at what he saw.

[img]https://larrysunwrites.files./2019/11/img_20191028_171158.jpg?w=354&h=95&zoom=2[/img]

He looked up at the old man. “What is this?”

The man spread his hands in reply. “How am I supposed to know?”

“It’s like a code or something.”

“Then crack it.”

6 Likes

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:21am On Nov 24, 2019
To the Readers:

The code in the update above is meant to be cracked. Anyone able to crack it fully before November 30th shall win a sum of ten thousand naira (N10,000.00). Crack it before Officer John Balewa does.

Hints:

1. Read Books 1 and 2.
2. Ladders and Crosses.

Winning goes to the first person to decode it. Send your answer directly to me via WhatsApp on +2349061754872.

Good luck.

Cheers,

LSD smiley

2 Likes

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:28am On Nov 24, 2019
The next update shall be posted on Sunday. Thanks for following. Don't forget to buy Book 1 and Book 2. They are both available for sale on OkadaBooks. Alternatively, you can contact me directly for the PDFs.

God bless you.

LSD smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Sheggun1:

thanks for d update
Thanks for following. The next update has been posted. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:30am On Nov 24, 2019
Ann2012:
Reunion things, I really hope Basket will let Black be.
Thanks for the update
LOL! I think they're both stubborn. But stubbornness can have a huge consequence. The next update has been posted. Thanks for following, ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2019
jayman00004:
am in love with this story please don't break my heart Larr
cheesy

Break your heart?
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2019
jenifer007:
Thank you larry
Thanks for following.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:33am On Nov 24, 2019
crossfm:
Sometimes its difficult for me reading your work because I can't stop wishing for more.You are a great writer.
Thank you, sir. Your words strengthen me.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:35am On Nov 24, 2019
EkopSparoAyara:
Absolutely thrilling,I must confess,it has always been the norm when it comes to your work.... The 5 magic words is indeed powerful,just like peter black envisioned.. The conversation was so good that i could make an image of it in my head,it got me smiling.. I don't think John Efe Balewa will back off easily,it will be a tough one.. Well-done..Larrysun The Great...
Boss! I remain loyal! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:35am On Nov 24, 2019
Fazemood:
'The bag in the bin' larrysun you are too much. Thanks buddy
Legendary Faze! Bless you, sir.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:36am On Nov 24, 2019
queenitee:
“The bag in the dustbin” My friends and I need our own language please grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:37am On Nov 24, 2019
Abdulreheem:
it's just like movie to me .Larysun i have being sarching in an oxford dicksionary to know the best word to describe ur talent but i see non .that was why i have not comment all this while, if not i being following ur story like ur village people. Thank's 4 ur entertainment.
Hahahahaha! My village people! Imagine such a simile! Such comparison!
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
tonaldo1:
Ride on bro
Hehehe! Can I have one bottle, too? wink
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
rukidanty:
your number again please?this is mine 07038266331
I'll contact you. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:39am On Nov 24, 2019
Kaycee9242:
Larry thank u so much for this update
Thank you, bro.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:40am On Nov 24, 2019
Vulcanheph:
Dear Larrysun

I went back to book 1 and read the prologue and i think i know who junior, his wife lola and his wife really are...but For your Sake of peace, i won't say.
LOL! You can only speculate. cheesy
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2019
airminem:
Lovely work. Be strenghtened more by His Grace.
Amen. Thank you so much for the prayer.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:42am On Nov 24, 2019
gift01:
Dammy how are you? Long time. I enjoyed your story Larrysun
With whom do I have this kind privilege of communication?
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:43am On Nov 24, 2019
Kentuforchrist:
Lovely Write Up Mr Larry, I Just Cant Wait For The Next Episode
Next episode has been posted.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 9:43am On Nov 24, 2019
mainzillionaire:
Wow!!! This is the kind of things that should be gracing the front page. Fly on bro
Thank you, sir. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 10:04am On Nov 24, 2019
IgweBUIKE1:
story so wow
Thanks a lot.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 10:05am On Nov 24, 2019
UnusualJhay:
More please
Larrysun! !
You are gifted bro
Thanks. Updated.
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 10:05am On Nov 24, 2019
babaireti:
Great writer of out time,bravo
Thank you, boss. I'm only doing what I enjoy. smiley
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by LarrySun(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2019
QuintessentialW:
Why is this story on Front Page? kiss Larrysun left us to dry for months!
Months? shocked
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by Ann2012(f): 10:53am On Nov 24, 2019
I have tried cracking the code but can't jare

Thanks for the update boss
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by arfezces: 12:42pm On Nov 24, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun by rukidanty: 2:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
LarrySun:
I'll contact you. smiley
will be waiting for it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

The New Girl / THE UNKNOWN: The Mega-hit Series / Unrequited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.