Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) (16897 Views)

Delete For Everyone Now Available On Facebook Messenger (remove For Everyone) / Whatsapp Adds New Rules For 'Delete For Everyone' Feature / Whatsapp Delete For Everyone Feature Extended From 7 To 64 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nigeriapen(m): 10:55am On Sep 19, 2019

It turns out WhatsApp‘s ‘Delete for Everyone’ feature — designed to let you wipe texts and files you sent by accident — could still leave traces of your messages, due to a discrepancy in the way the function works on Android handsets and iPhones.

Researcher Shitesh Sachan noticed that even after purging messages, media files sent to iPhone users in group chats (who have enabled the ‘Save to Camera Roll’ setting) will remain on the device.

To clarify, although deleted messages containing media files won’t be visible in WhatsApp, the files will still be available to iPhone users with ‘Save to Camera Roll’ enabled.

By contrast, the feature works differently on WhatsApp for Android. Once a user has used ‘Delete for Everyone,’ media files saved to Android recipient’s photo gallery also get wiped.

The difference between the platforms could give a false sense of privacy to Android users unfamiliar with the way the feature works on iOS devices.

When the researcher contacted WhatsApp about the flaw, a company spokesperson suggested the feature offers no guarantee that media files will be properly purged from devices’ storage.

“The functionality provided via ‘Delete for Everyone’ is intended to delete the message and there is no guarantee that the media (or message) will be permanently deleted —the implementation focuses around the message presence in WhatsApp,” a spokesperson told the researcher, The Hacker News reports.

For the record, WhatsApp is not the only messenger that has suffered from this issue.

A researcher recently discovered Telegram kept images from deleted files in recipients’ phone storage, but the company has since released an update that fixes the bug. From the looks of it, though, WhatsApp has no immediate plans to address the issue.

See More Photos Below; http://topmag.pw/2019/09/18/whatsapps-delete-for-everyone-feature-doesnt-delete-pics-from-iphone/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nigeriapen(m): 10:56am On Sep 19, 2019
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:02am On Sep 19, 2019
Nah to return to iPhone sure pass

14 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Justbeingreal(m): 11:50am On Sep 19, 2019
Hmmm!

Lesson here is be careful with ya phone so you don't send what can ruin your reputation either by mistake or intentionally.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Timileyin1234(m): 12:01pm On Sep 19, 2019
I don’t get it
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by mytime24(f): 1:03pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hmm
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Harddiskng(m): 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2019
Timileyin1234:
I don’t get it

If you send me a picture/video, once I download the picture/video it goes to “Camera roll” (gallery). Even if you use the “delete for everyone” feature on WhatsApp. I would still have pictures/video you sent in my “Camera roll” (gallery).

45 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Timileyin1234(m): 2:52pm On Sep 19, 2019
Harddiskng:

If you send me a picture/video, once I download the picture/video it goes to “Camera roll” (gallery). Even if you use the “delete for everyone” feature on WhatsApp. I would still have pictures/video you sent in my “Camera roll” (gallery).
That means android no secure be that, since it can automatically delete revoked photos in android gallery. iPhone doesn’t give them permission to automatically delete. Now I get it

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by tayebest(m): 3:04pm On Sep 19, 2019
That delete feature is even silly sef sad

How can I delete a message and still gossip on how the message was deleted. undecided

47 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Conner44: 3:29pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hahaha this news isn’t great for people that like sending prik and boby pix upandan anyhow grin

Also not good news for NL scammers too angry
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 19, 2019
[s]
Timileyin1234:

That means android no secure be that, since it can automatically delete revoked photos in android gallery. iPhone doesn’t give them permission to automatically delete. Now I get it
[/s] You were trying to sound intelligent but you ended up spewing bullshit. undecided

14 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Olanipekun1: 4:43pm On Sep 19, 2019
[s]
kemicalreaction:
[s][/s] You were trying to sound intelligent but you ended up spewing bullshit. undecided
[/s]
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Timileyin1234(m): 4:54pm On Sep 19, 2019
kemicalreaction:
[s][/s] You were trying to sound intelligent but you ended up spewing bullshit. undecided
Dem swear for u? Why u dey tale me?

14 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Harddiskng(m): 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2019
Timileyin1234:

I won’t say android is not secure since you have given WhatsApp the permission to revoke pictures from your gallery (it’s doing what it’s meant to do) but you do have a point.

This kind of restrictions make hacking an iPhone much more harder.

21 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 19, 2019
Timileyin1234:

I no dey tail you bro. grin grin

I don't just agree with some of your posts which happen to be in my active sections grin grin

No vex

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2019
Timileyin1234:

kemicalreaction:
I no dey tail you bro. grin grin

I don't just agree with some of your posts which happen to be in my active sections grin grin

No vex
grin grin grin
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by obojememe: 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2019
i think d thing is that android create a separate folder for each app installed on android phone so any data saved inside d whatsapp folder can b revoked unlike iphone that doesn’t, even if it does u can’t have access to the folder ,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Sukueponmalu: 9:47pm On Sep 19, 2019
Lol . How’s this news?
I always laugh whenever people do the delete for everyone thing after sending me pictures and I’ve downloaded it.
Android users don’t know what’s going on grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Timileyin1234(m): 9:51pm On Sep 19, 2019
Sukueponmalu:
Lol . How’s this news?
I always laugh whenever people do the delete for everyone thing after sending me pictures and I’ve downloaded it.
U wan cause trouble abi, cos u no say this go pain them

17 Likes

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Olanipekun1: 10:24pm On Sep 19, 2019
[s]
Sukueponmalu:
Lol . How’s this news?
[/s]
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Cyoung4real(m): 12:56am On Sep 20, 2019
Sukueponmalu:
Lol . How’s this news?

GBWhatsapp be looking at you like

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by adebuk47(m): 8:18am On Sep 20, 2019
Nah there problem
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by money121(m): 8:18am On Sep 20, 2019
Ok
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:19am On Sep 20, 2019
undecided
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Lexusgs430: 8:19am On Sep 20, 2019
I prefer strawberries, i hate apples........
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by slawomir: 8:21am On Sep 20, 2019
Okay
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 20, 2019
Why are u reporting to us. Hope you never send nudes.

Sorry. I'm just messing with you.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 20, 2019
Harddiskng:

That means u set your auto download

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Dottore: 8:22am On Sep 20, 2019
Ok
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Gosj01(m): 8:24am On Sep 20, 2019
Ok

Selling cheap and super neat laptops is what I do.

Details on signature.
Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by RatedStar: 8:24am On Sep 20, 2019
My family and girl are the only ones I activated save to camera feature for. Infact I did not leave my setting to auto download images. I dont need all those whatsapp images filling up my camera roll

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 20, 2019
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Xiaomi Users Only: Screenshot Your Home Wallpaper. / MTN Unlimited Midnight Browsing / Poll: Which Smartphone Manufacturer Is The Best So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.