Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,623 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy (25763 Views)

Stop Payment To MDA's Till Further Notice, Tinubu Orders CBN / House Of Reps Orders CBN To Suspend New Cash Withdrawal Limit / Buhari Orders CBN To Blacklist Importers Of Palm Oil, 42 Other Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 19, 2019
olajigaolamide:
Why won't they suspend it when it affect their interest. The house of representatives is only existing to serve itself and not the public

How does the charges help the public?

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by jagojunior(m): 7:19pm On Sep 19, 2019
Freehuman:
That cashless policy could have turned everything around in 2023 election tribunals.
Imagine a scenario where all a lawyer needs to do to support his claim that a politician was involved in votes buying is to present the politician's bank details showing history of numerous 5000 Naira transfers on election day.
Secondly, how do they bribe those in rural areas. If it didn't threaten the existence of the selfish legislature at Abuja, it would be a welcomed development.

So in your small mind, a politician who is ready to buy votes cannot afford the 5% withdrawal charge?
OR
You think bullion vans will charge the 5% to transport cash around?

LMAO

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2019
Olominira:
Nearly everything in this life has advantages and disadvantages, in making decisions we must make sure that advantages overweight its disadvantages. This is my personal observation about the cashless policy;

1. More than 40 percent of Nigerians do not handle such cash in 6 months

2. The policy would help government monitor financial services by the companies that evade taxes, judges, civil servants, politicians etc that are are involved in corruption.

3. It would drive fintech startups that are capable of generating thousands of jobs, easy transactions for businesses etc. In China it's very possible not to touch cash for a whole year as everyone uses either wechat or alipay. However, Nigeria is confronted with shortage of electricity.

4. It would save government money used in reprinting dirty money in circulation.

Lastly, Nigerians must come to term that the country is not working at the moment and for the country to work we must be ready to make some sacrifices. Also, government should try and carry the citizens along by highlighting the benefits of new policies.

We don't need any further highlightenment, these cashless policy are so tailored in away that suite & benefit the banks majorly ... charges on withdrawal of certain amount still ok but charges on deposit makes no logical sense, its quite contradictory, one disuade customers while the later promote cashless
why can't cbn come up with policies that will review interest rate for loans n deposits ... these are the things that will banking n bring positive impact on business & customers. the only thing our govt & there agencies seems to be good at is avenue to tax & milk nigerians, it important to raise revenue buh what benefits are they giving back, nothing is working.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by maisauki: 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2019
Olominira:
Nearly everything in this life has advantages and disadvantages, in making decisions we must make sure that advantages overweight its disadvantages. This is my personal observation about the cashless policy;

2. The policy would help government monitor financial services by the companies that evade taxes, judges, civil servants, politicians etc that are are involved in corruption.

3. It would drive fintech startups that are capable of generating thousands of jobs, easy transactions for businesses etc. In China it's very possible not to touch cash for a whole year as everyone uses either wechat or alipay. However, Nigeria is confronted with shortage of electricity.

4. It would save government money used in reprinting dirty money in circulation.

Lastly, Nigerians must come to term that the country is not working at the moment and for the country to work we must be ready to make some sacrifices. Also, government should try and carry the citizens along by highlighting the benefits of new policies.
do manage this token of appreciation for your sensible post

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by MartinsD12(m): 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2019
DaSleak:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/cashless-policy-reps-ask-cbn-to-suspend-charges-on-deposits/amp/
Mumu cbn wants to kill businesses of majority of Nigerian entrepreneurs, the political class will not be much affected because they will loot money but am concern with the young guys out there after serving their apprenticeship for like 7 to 8 years Oga settle them do transactions with the banks charges wil be higher than the profit that means business closing, infact cbn is stupid and wicked
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2019
docadams:

Does individual transaction exceed N500000? People are commenting anyhow.
. The way it seems now.If you as an individual wants to withdraw or deposit 500k,you can split it.let's say,you can withdraw,400k and withdraw another 100 k,same as deposit.And yes,it can exceed 500k if you are splitting it.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by ubcandid(m): 7:53pm On Sep 19, 2019
JONNYSPUTE:
Cashless banking is good but are we ready for it?

There were so many policies we weren't ready for in this country and cried bitterly about, but, after implementation, we are making strides, albeit not giant, with them.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:58pm On Sep 19, 2019
ubcandid:

There were so many policies we weren't ready for in this country and cried bitterly about, but, after implementation, we are making strides, albeit not giant, with them.
..True
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by bizhop01: 8:00pm On Sep 19, 2019
Confuse people
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by docadams: 8:10pm On Sep 19, 2019
JONNYSPUTE:
. The way it seems now.If you as an individual wants to withdraw or deposit 500k,you can split it.let's say,you can withdraw,400k and withdraw another 100 k,same as deposit.And yes,it can exceed 500k if you are splitting it.

Why indulge in such a stressful and potentially risky practice when you can easily make transfers either by using a mobile app or doing such in the banking hall? You self check am.

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by olajigaolamide: 8:12pm On Sep 19, 2019
krendo:

How does the charges help the public?

So how are the Rep also helping the public?
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by JONNYSPUTE(m): 8:13pm On Sep 19, 2019
docadams:

Why indulge in such a stressful and potentially risky practice when you can easily make transfers either by using a mobile app or doing such in the banking hall?
You re right and that was why I said initially that cashless is better just that we are still developing. I personally do cashless.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:21pm On Sep 19, 2019
Olominira:

you spoke intelligently however ur submissions were abstract to our demography.. Let's say all social amenities were inplaced do u think the government will need to do any convincing?? Advanced countries do little or no thorough consultations just propositions if we may...

Nigeria is a country where u kill or be killed.... U virtually provide everything for urself... Eg, electricity, water, healthcare, security, roads, the list goes on.... The countries u referenced based on ur own peripheral knowledge has long passed that stage... Nigeria can't attain their feat if we can't have a common goal and people with intent to only be selfless servants...

We can speak all the grammars but the reality will always be a constant... No good show of example, no transparency, no accountability, no genuine show of selflessness u can forget it... It's natural No one can fight fate...

Fix the anomalys u won't need to impress or con anyone to present progressive issues...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by sweetilicious(f): 8:44pm On Sep 19, 2019
They should wait make I pay my sch fees first
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by TajudinA: 8:57pm On Sep 19, 2019
The senate too should follow suit immediately to stop the CBN
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by lloyds(m): 9:14pm On Sep 19, 2019
Bunnatex:
I've emancipated to read between lines and critically analyze the moves of our politicians. Ultimately in their interests.
Who does the move affect more? If they adopt internet banking it will be easy to track their looting.
Before we support or oppose the move let's first know who benefits from the said policy and who doesn't...

You get brain bro
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by lloyds(m): 9:15pm On Sep 19, 2019
They are all fighting for their pockets. .
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by mechanics(m): 9:47pm On Sep 19, 2019
In that case, they should make sure POS are available in all markets and business areas if they want to implement it fully.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Drsheddy(m): 9:48pm On Sep 19, 2019
With these explanations, I think the policy is fair to some extent.

Read this and try to understand exactly what the CBN and govt meant by CASHLESS POLICY!

1. A lot of fake news is trending and seemingly intelligent people are falling cheap for the lies bandied about the new Central Bank of Nigeria charge policy on deposits.

2.I am only playing my part to educate people like you and others on certain things about governance.

3.Now, people should not mind all those road side gist they are hear about the new CBN charge on deposits.

4.This is how it applies.

5. The charges apply daily and not per transaction.

6. You can only deposit up to ₦500,000 daily. If you exceed it, the amount in excess will be charged for that day.

7. Let me paint this scenario for you.

8. Mr. A has ₦10,000,000.00 (ten million naira) only he wants to deposit in a Bank tomorrow, Thursday, 19 September, 2019.

9. Mr. A can only deposit ₦500,000.00 (five hundred thousand naira) only for that day without him being charged 2%.

10. If he deposits the whole ₦10,000,000.00 Mr. A will be charged 2% of the total deposit he made for the day.

11. That is to say if Mr. A for instance deposits ₦5,000,000.00 and another ₦5,000,000.00 that same day on two occasions, his total deposit for the day will be summed up and 2% charge deducted from the account.

12. That is to say ₦200,000 (Two hundred thousand naira) only will be deducted from him for that day for depositing ₦10,000,000.00 for the day.

13. However, if Mr. A goes to a Point of Sale (POS) merchant to pay that money to his account that is, the ₦10,000,000.00 he will not be charged this 2%.

14. Likewise if the money is transferred to him through mobile transfer, he will not be charged the 2%.

15. The money is only charged on Over-The-Counter (OTC) transactions.

16. The federal government is trying to discourage carrying huge amount of money around.

17. If you must deposit the ₦10,000,000.00 without incurring the 2% charge, it is best you deposit it ₦500,000 every day until you pay in the ₦10,000,000.00 without incurring the charge.

18. Please be guided henceforth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Mana1227: 10:32pm On Sep 19, 2019
DonTattaglia:
Obviously d policy does not favor them.Its not as if they are fighting for d interest of common man.
That's it o, they are fighting for themselves

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by delpee(f): 10:46pm On Sep 19, 2019
Bunnatex:
I've emancipated to read between lines and critically analyze the moves of our politicians. Ultimately in their interests.
Who does the move affect more? If they adopt internet banking it will be easy to track their looting.
Before we support or oppose the move let's first know who benefits from the said policy and who doesn't...

The reality is that it doesn’t affect the majority of Nigerians. Those who have more than 500,000 cash to lodge are in the minority. They should pay the price if they can’t adjust to electronic transfers.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Sniper101(m): 11:06pm On Sep 19, 2019
"suspend the cashless policy program" they said

.....so that our 'ghana must go bags' will keep exchanging hands grin
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by abiola7195: 5:07am On Sep 20, 2019
No doubt the policy is a good one but we don't have what it takes to adopt this kind of policy yet. We can't just adopt a policy because it's working for another country
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Dagah2: 9:04am On Sep 20, 2019
JONNYSPUTE:
Baba, if you like split it by 5k, once it exceeds 500k CASH DEPOSIT in a day, they'll take the 2%. Same with the withdrawal and its percentage... Withdraw 100k into 6 places from the counter in a day, their 3% sure for them
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by iyimide(m): 10:04am On Sep 20, 2019
CBN, whose your daddy?

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by openmine(m): 10:10am On Sep 20, 2019
The way I see the recent CBN policy is slightly fair but I believe the charges should only be for the withdrawal and not for deposits!
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Stefaniebo(f): 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2019
DonTattaglia:
Obviously d policy does not favor them.Its not as if they are fighting for d interest of common man.
You just took the words out of my mouth.
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Felicity001(m): 10:32pm On Sep 20, 2019
Olominira:

Your very correct but you need to wake up from your slumber because we are under the apc govt they don't give a damn about her citizenry only pdp is known for carrying her citizenry along. Case study: when GEJ was planning on removing subsidy there were memos, advert all over the places to educate Nigerians.
A quick question, did we accept him on subsidy removal? NO! But app came on board, hike pump prices yet still paying subsidy.
Mr/ma'am let's just forget this country, it's dead a long time ago.

1 Like

Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by Pavarottii(m): 11:09pm On Sep 20, 2019
Olominira:

Anything that will take money from the pockets of citizens now is not welcomed... Common small minimum wage govt has not still started up till now... Rather they av increased tax and electricity bill from next year... My brother check ur conscience... Haba... Until we die?
Re: House Of Representatives Orders CBN To Suspend Cashless Policy by jytops: 6:14pm On Sep 25, 2019
I know you are super busy. So I will keep this short.
I'm conducting a research on the awareness of Fintech in Nigeria. Fintech is the use of technology in rendering financial services.
My goal is to get as many responses as possible and share my learnings with the internet community.
It's brief with 13 questions and should take no more than 3 mins. I'm quite sure that filling the questionnaire will arouse your curiosity and enlighten you on certain fintech trends. No personal information is gathered. Would also love your help in promoting this survey. Thanks in anticipation.
https://forms.gle/Upa789S9KbNg49zg8

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament / Abdulrahman Buniyamin Decorated With Sword Of Honour By UK Navy (Photo) / 2019: Atiku Shows His Dancing Skill As He Meets Lagos State PDP Stakeholders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.