Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,870 members, 7,806,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World (45506 Views)

Traffic Advisory: APC Lagos Governorship Primary At Onikan Today / Traffic Advisory: South-West Youths For Tinubu Rally At Onikan This Morning / PHOTOS: Reconstruction And Upgrade Of The Onikan Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Realdeals(m): 10:04pm On Sep 19, 2019
mactoni91:
The houses and Estates in that Onikan ehn makes you wonder if some people are also feeling the hardship in this country.
You see alot of them driving G-wagons like its cheap
I doubt you know Onikan, which estate dey the area?

2 Likes

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Typewriter(m): 10:06pm On Sep 19, 2019
May be dey used 1960 statistics
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Typewriter(m): 10:10pm On Sep 19, 2019
the Onikan, Neighborhood in Lagos is far from Coolest its a lonely area
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Beautyaddy: 10:17pm On Sep 19, 2019
Typewriter:
the Onikan, Neighborhood in Lagos is far from Coolest its a lonely area

Correct!

All those skyscrapers and office buildings around the area have all been abandoned and allowed to degenerate.
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by sayisayi(m): 10:17pm On Sep 19, 2019
Peckham, haba...I dey run from that place last Sunday na....even area boys go shiver for that place, let alone confirmed ajebutta like me.

1 Like

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by OlujobaSamuel: 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2019
Realdeals:

I doubt you know Onikan, which estate dey the area?
I think the writer is referring to Ikoyi or island in general, I saw where banks was written in the report and I was like where banks dey for Onikan?
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Revolva(m): 10:20pm On Sep 19, 2019
shogsman:

Why can't you just be a patriotic citizen and take the positive review, what in fvcks name is wrong with Y'all,no iota of patriotism for your country at all, always quick to be negative.

Say that to the frogs bro

I know onikan more than CNN people ok it's a nice place but can't be compared ..or even too those European towns na abeg forget patriotism

Lagos State don go pay PR

2 Likes

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by checkedout: 10:24pm On Sep 19, 2019
mirabel001:
in my dream I saw oba of lagos dead.
#letspray4theoba

That nigga na bastard, he held our family entitlements to himself and children and he's still holding it.

I hate him with passion but what can I do? He is still the OBA last time I check
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by delpee(f): 10:25pm On Sep 19, 2019
seborrhic:

I was also wondering.Which estates?
I am guessing some people,just like the poster you quoted think Onikan is synonymous with Ikoyi or another name for Foreshore estate.
For their information the only landmarks in Onikan are the Museum,Muson centre,Onikan stadium and that now FG guest house or presidential house handed over to LASG.
Where are the estates sited?

Some towers off King George road.

I think CNN is looking at it from the perspective of a mix of the old and the new. Note that they mentioned that it’s an area where the past, present and future collide.

There’s a lot of history reflected in that axis. TBS, the former State House, National Museum, Onikan Stadium, Muson Centre, former Police Headquarters and the old Colonial Church attached to the State House (Our Saviors Church). The new JK Randle Centre being built will add value to the environment. There’s also City Mall.

Further down towards Broad St is the old colonial prison (now Freedom Park). Behind TBS (old Race Course) are the courts, King’s College, the old Defence building and the Independence Arcade. Not too far away is the Lagos City Hall.

3 Likes

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Tedpgrass: 10:26pm On Sep 19, 2019
LazyGold:
CNN has ranked Onikan in Lagos as the 3rd coolest neighborhood in the world.
At last, Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, has made the news for all the right reasons on the world stage.

A CNN magazine publication, Time Out , has listed Onikan, a Lagos neighborhood, as one of the coolest places to visit in the world.

Only Arroios in Lisbon, Portugal and Shimokitazawa in Tokyo, Japan, were ranked higher than Lagos by the global publication.

50 neighborhoods around the world made the cut.

CNN writes that: “When you're deciding where to spend your vacation, you might think about famous attractions or gorgeous natural wonders.

"But if you really want to get to know a city like a local, your best bet is to look for the neighborhoods where they hang out, where the most interesting new restaurants, art galleries and coffee shops emerge."

In its Onikan citation, the self-acclaimed ‘World News Leader’ writes: “Nigeria's biggest city is home to artists, writers, designers and Nollywood actors. You might spot some of them hanging out in cool Onikan, where "past, present and future collide effortlessly."

“The central neighborhood on the Lagos Lagoon is home to some of the city's most important cultural offerings, including the Nigerian National Museum and Rele Gallery, which focuses on contemporary art.”

Cool and the gang

Pilsen, Chicago was ranked number 10, Astoria in New York was ranked number 8, Wedding in Berlin was ranked number 5 while Arroios in Lisbon was ranked number 1.

The 50 coolest neighborhoods to visit in the world, according to CNN’s Time Out , are as follows:

1. Arroios, Lisbon

2. Shimokitazawa, Tokyo

3. Onikan, Lagos

4. Wedding, Berlin

5. Historic Filipinotown, Los Angeles

6. The Waterfront, Hobart

7. Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, Paris

8. Astoria, New York

9. Embajadores, Madrid

10. Pilsen, Chicago

11. Peckham, London

12. Soi Pridi Banomyong/Phra Khanong, Bangkok

13. Footscray, Melbourne

14. Zhongshan, Taipei

15. Kerem Hatelmanim and Shuk HaCarmel, Tel Aviv

16. Kypseli, Athens

17. Jalatlaco, Oaxaca

18. District 3, Ho Chi Minh City

19. Juárez, Mexico City

20. Poblenou, Barcelona

21. Jamestown, Accra

22. Verdun, Montreal

23. Overseas Chinese Town, Shenzhen

24. Holly, Austin

25. Bom Retiro, São Paulo

26. Katendrecht, Rotterdam

27. Ancoats, Manchester

28. Corktown, Detroit

29. Gemmayzeh and Mar Mikhaël, Beirut

30. Barranco, Lima

31. Dogpatch, San Francisco

32. Vesterbro, Copenhagen

33. Naeja-dong, Seoul

34. Yppenplatz and Brunnenmarkt, Vienna

35. Easton, Bristol

36. The Junction, Toronto

37. Kadıköy-Moda, Istanbul

38. Kelvinbridge, Glasgow

39. Oltrarno, Florence

40. Old Havana, Havana

41. Melville, Johannesburg

42. Stoneybatter, Dublin

43. Bartók, Budapest

44. Downtown, Miami

45. Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

46. Nové Město, Prague

47. Bandra West, Mumbai

48. Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong

49. Old Xuhui, Shanghai

50. Dorćol, Belgrade

Onikan is perched on the Lagos lagoon and is a melting pot of some sort. It is also the business and banking hub of Lagos.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/onikan-lagos-is-the-3rd-coolest-neighborhood-in-the-world/0cvnmnh

Like Reallllyyyy. grin grin

Wonder what criteria were in use

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by shogsman(m): 10:54pm On Sep 19, 2019
Revolva:

Say that to the frogs bro

I know onikan more than CNN people ok it's a nice place but can't be compared ..or even too those European towns na abeg forget patriotism

Lagos State don go pay PR

Na people like you be the problem wey this country get,why you dey beef state wey they inside your country, how many of those European towns have you been to.

2 Likes

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by grandstar(m): 10:55pm On Sep 19, 2019
find the ranking weird.

However, when one thinks about it, the area has lots of things going for it. It is under-exploited.

It has Race Course, the museum, lots of banks, lots of commercial companies and so on. The area is coded.

if there's light 24hours a day, it will also aid the development of the area.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by trippleKAY(m): 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2019
Ayam not understanding, is this an error or what
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by vicadex07(m): 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2019
mirabel001:
in my dream I saw oba of lagos dead. #letspray4theoba
Who is he to you?
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by SaintLucia: 11:41pm On Sep 19, 2019
mactoni91:

If you've met me before or you know what i do for a living, you won't be quick to judge me.

Wealth do not equate hardwork.
Dey deceive yourself there. U people think say na everybody dey face hardship like u. Like I said no food for a lazy being like u. Our people will say alubarika is what matter.

1 Like

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by idonhammer: 12:07am On Sep 20, 2019
Chai...the igwe of your village is gone.

mirabel001:
#letspray4theoba
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Fortune109: 1:54am On Sep 20, 2019
Awa omo Eko da!!!

Awa re!!!

Awa awa re!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Fortune109: 1:57am On Sep 20, 2019
Revolva:
Onikan is quite peaceful Sha but as no3 in the world I don't believe that

D same onikan I always walk Tru sometimes it's an old Lagos and it was part of colonial Lagos

Maybe the PR this CNN people to push Lagos town to the top of the chart

So because it's the same Onikan you always pass through then nothing good can come to it??

Don't loose hope in life if everything you pass through is always bad

Sacasm***
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by olmoRoc: 2:54am On Sep 20, 2019
The beginning of Soi Pridi Banomyong, otherwise known as Sukhumvit 71, is very famous for it's street food, especially at night. However, there's nothing else special about the road after Soi 5 aside from the fact that lots of the ladies and gays who work in the various adult entertainment centers in the city reside there.
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by seunfape(m): 4:57am On Sep 20, 2019
Framed msg
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by tot(f): 7:06am On Sep 20, 2019
oyetunder:
We have all it takes to be the coolest Nation in the world, but we simply refused to build a nation. it is all about me, mine, I and myself.

So true
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Candycrushy(f): 9:42am On Sep 20, 2019
And my state didnt make the list again And my state didnt make the list again
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Revolva(m): 10:45am On Sep 20, 2019
shogsman:

Na people like you be the problem wey this country get,why you dey beef state wey they inside your country, how many of those European towns have you been to.

Hey European towm are more serene than an average Nigerian town hahhaaa oga relax this CNN report is just part of P.R abeg

Onikan is a place I know front to back jare am a lagosian ok

The only place I can assure is ikoyi (banana island , Park view , Osborne bourdillion areas ) that is suppose to be not onikan

Well good luck to Lagos Sha hahaha when it rains you go see the best of Lagos our mega city
Fortune109:

So because it's the same Onikan you always pass through then nothing good can come to it??

Don't loose hope in life if everything you pass through is always bad

Sacasm***
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Greatzeus(m): 8:46pm On Sep 20, 2019
mirabel001:
#letspray4theoba
u
Save your hypocritical prayer, every body will die one time or the other,you might even die before him,#Fact.
How many wishing Buhari dead has died since 2015? I am sure thousands.
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by Ttipsy(f): 9:46pm On Sep 20, 2019
flowx:

Oga, which Onikan be that o...?
Why are you lying?
lol

1 Like

Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by wealthtrak: 9:56am On Dec 16, 2021
LazyGold:
CNN has ranked Onikan in Lagos as the 3rd coolest neighborhood in the world.
At last, Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, has made the news for all the right reasons on the world stage.

A CNN magazine publication, Time Out , has listed Onikan, a Lagos neighborhood, as one of the coolest places to visit in the world.

Only Arroios in Lisbon, Portugal and Shimokitazawa in Tokyo, Japan, were ranked higher than Lagos by the global publication.

50 neighborhoods around the world made the cut.

CNN writes that: “When you're deciding where to spend your vacation, you might think about famous attractions or gorgeous natural wonders.

"But if you really want to get to know a city like a local, your best bet is to look for the neighborhoods where they hang out, where the most interesting new restaurants, art galleries and coffee shops emerge."

In its Onikan citation, the self-acclaimed ‘World News Leader’ writes: “Nigeria's biggest city is home to artists, writers, designers and Nollywood actors. You might spot some of them hanging out in cool Onikan, where "past, present and future collide effortlessly."

“The central neighborhood on the Lagos Lagoon is home to some of the city's most important cultural offerings, including the Nigerian National Museum and Rele Gallery, which focuses on contemporary art.”

Cool and the gang

Pilsen, Chicago was ranked number 10, Astoria in New York was ranked number 8, Wedding in Berlin was ranked number 5 while Arroios in Lisbon was ranked number 1.

The 50 coolest neighborhoods to visit in the world, according to CNN’s Time Out , are as follows:

1. Arroios, Lisbon

2. Shimokitazawa, Tokyo

3. Onikan, Lagos

4. Wedding, Berlin

5. Historic Filipinotown, Los Angeles

6. The Waterfront, Hobart

7. Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, Paris

8. Astoria, New York

9. Embajadores, Madrid

10. Pilsen, Chicago

11. Peckham, London

12. Soi Pridi Banomyong/Phra Khanong, Bangkok

13. Footscray, Melbourne

14. Zhongshan, Taipei

15. Kerem Hatelmanim and Shuk HaCarmel, Tel Aviv

16. Kypseli, Athens

17. Jalatlaco, Oaxaca

18. District 3, Ho Chi Minh City

19. Juárez, Mexico City

20. Poblenou, Barcelona

21. Jamestown, Accra

22. Verdun, Montreal

23. Overseas Chinese Town, Shenzhen

24. Holly, Austin

25. Bom Retiro, São Paulo

26. Katendrecht, Rotterdam

27. Ancoats, Manchester

28. Corktown, Detroit

29. Gemmayzeh and Mar Mikhaël, Beirut

30. Barranco, Lima

31. Dogpatch, San Francisco

32. Vesterbro, Copenhagen

33. Naeja-dong, Seoul

34. Yppenplatz and Brunnenmarkt, Vienna

35. Easton, Bristol

36. The Junction, Toronto

37. Kadıköy-Moda, Istanbul

38. Kelvinbridge, Glasgow

39. Oltrarno, Florence

40. Old Havana, Havana

41. Melville, Johannesburg

42. Stoneybatter, Dublin

43. Bartók, Budapest

44. Downtown, Miami

45. Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

46. Nové Město, Prague

47. Bandra West, Mumbai

48. Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong

49. Old Xuhui, Shanghai

50. Dorćol, Belgrade

Onikan is perched on the Lagos lagoon and is a melting pot of some sort. It is also the business and banking hub of Lagos.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/onikan-lagos-is-the-3rd-coolest-neighborhood-in-the-world/0cvnmnh

Onikan, Lagos Island is very apt... the past, present and future meet there. MUSON Centre, National Museum, Race Course, etc.

Peckam, London and Jamestown,
Accra on the list are culturally
important as well. Accra's
history started from Jamestown!
Re: Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World by yemmywesey(m): 10:36am On Dec 23, 2021
CNN got it right this time, onikan to tbs, to boi, to cms very cool environment in lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young Lady Dies In Accident In Enugu. Do You Know Her? (Photos) / Please Help! I Need A Us Visa Appointment Date Asap! / One Word For The Driver Of This Overloaded Bus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.