Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,773 members, 7,802,378 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. (3238 Views)

Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? / I Met My Wife A Virgin – Gov Oshiomhole / Are African Men Marrying More White Women Because They Are Better In Bed?:vote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Emade(m): 3:56pm On Oct 31, 2010
marrying more than one wife a sin.if yes were is it writing in de bible.god help us.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MrsEve: 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2010
I know I am going to steps on some crusty toes. Here it is! I am not going to bring the bible nor other religious books in this equation. I am going to simply speak logically.

for·ni·ca·tion (fôrn-kshn)
n.
Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

We now know the definition of Fornication, let look at the definition of Adultery.

a·dul·ter·y (-dlt-r, -tr)
n. pl. a·dul·ter·ies
Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse.

We now know the definition of Adultery, let me further elaborate on my point.

Now poster, your question is having more than one wife is a sin and vice versa with having more than one husband is a sin. If we are speaking from ethical standpoint, which means a system of principles then we would say that it depends on the person who are committing such act on the SYSTEM of which they believes to be ethical. However, if we were to look at the moral standpoint, we will say that it is a sin for a person who have multiple wives or husbands because of the judgement between good or evil.

Now wrapping it up in a logical standpoint is if a person is LEGALLY MARRIED to a person who is cited on a certificate or license that would not be consider a in because they are legally married therefore no act of fornication involved. Now if a person who is LEGALLY MARRIED to a person who is cited on a certificate or license that having relations of any kind to a person that is not cited on the license is committing adultery according to the definitions.

People have their own sets of principles of how they see fit and most likely use principles that benefits them regardless of it logically sounded or not.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by rosamosqy(m): 8:35pm On Oct 31, 2010
quod erat demonstrandum!!!!
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by leye1234(m): 8:59pm On Oct 31, 2010
@op
its more of a heart attack than a sin. grin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by 190: 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2010
ask your papa!!
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Plutarch: 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2010
@ d risk on stepping toes here ,i am yet to see where its written in bible that its a sin. Methink d thinking of it as a sin is one of d western influences on xtainity. Eventhough some pple v came up wiv weak premises such as 'God created one woman 4 Adam', etc.

However, i will advise U to MARRY ONE WIFE. I can never v more than 1 wife in my life. U can never get enuff of d love of a woman that truely love,care n adore u.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2010
@emade    r u a christian or a Muslim? if u r either of this, then you are not making good use of ur holy book,
on the other hand, if you an atheist or agnostic, then it depends on your conscience or/and wat you want
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Dyt(f): 10:58pm On Oct 31, 2010
only if u can fend 4 all dere needs equally
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by blackmann(m): 11:45pm On Oct 31, 2010
Dyt:

only if u can fend 4 all dere needs equally

and to add to that, love them equally. If you cannot, just marry one.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Nobody: 12:25am On Nov 01, 2010
Solomon married 700 (apart from the 300 or so mistresses), and yet he is up there in heaven. Doesn't that conclusively answer your question? Mr. Poster?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by HighChief4(m): 1:01am On Nov 01, 2010
blackmann:

and to add to that, love them equally. If you cannot, just marry one.

Which is almost impossible to love 2 different women equally
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MrsEve: 5:24am On Nov 01, 2010
We do not know if Solomon is in heaven and Solomon was the BIGGEST HO there is, THAT IS NO comparison and you should be ashamed angry
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 01, 2010
Lol. If solomon isn't in heaven then heaven does not exist. And btw, he's my favourite biblical 'character' - one whose exploits (and of course, wisdom) I would love to emulate.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by saintneo(m): 8:33am On Nov 01, 2010
how about having more than one husband?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by buccaneer7(m): 8:35am On Nov 01, 2010
Only if you define what "sin" is generally then i can answer the question,
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by babyme1(f): 8:57am On Nov 01, 2010
It's a sin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by buccaneer7(m): 9:00am On Nov 01, 2010
It's a sin

these days religious clash with society , Is it a sin by national constitution or according to the bible?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Plutarch: 9:08am On Nov 01, 2010
@ baby.me,
As much as i know its nota sin but am always eager to learn.
I presume u r a xtain,can u pls show me where its recorded a sin in d bible.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MRMoneyE(m): 9:22am On Nov 01, 2010
IN AS MUCH YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF THOSE WIVES, AND YOU HAVE ALL WHAT IT TAKES TO BE THEIR HUSBAND I
SEE NOTING WRONG IN THAT OPTION OF HAVING MORE THAN ONE WIFFY EXCEPT FOR OTHER REASONS,
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by ireke(m): 9:36am On Nov 01, 2010
MrsEve:

I know I am going to steps on some crusty toes. Here it is! I am not going to bring the bible nor other religious books in this equation. I am going to simply speak logically.

for·ni·ca·tion (fôrn-kshn)
n.
Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

We now know the definition of Fornication, let look at the definition of Adultery.

a·dul·ter·y (-dlt-r, -tr)
n. pl. a·dul·ter·ies
Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse.

We now know the definition of Adultery, let me further elaborate on my point.

Now poster, your question is having more than one wife is a sin and vice versa with having more than one husband is a sin. If we are speaking from ethical standpoint, which means a system of principles then we would say that it depends on the person who are committing such act on the SYSTEM of which they believes to be ethical. However, if we were to look at the moral standpoint, we will say that it is a sin for a person who have multiple wives or husbands because of the judgement between good or evil.

Now wrapping it up in a logical standpoint is if a person is LEGALLY MARRIED to a person who is cited on a certificate or license that would not be consider a in because they are legally married therefore no act of fornication involved. Now if a person who is LEGALLY MARRIED to a person who is cited on a certificate or license that having relations of any kind to a person that is not cited on the license is committing adultery according to the definitions.

People have their own sets of principles of how they see fit and most likely use principles that benefits them regardless of it logically sounded or not.

In addition to this response,
1. The problem with modern day polygamy is that almost 100% of them are rooted in fornication/adultery, unfaithfulness, deceit, callousness etc. Our forefathers had multiple wives but most of the additional wives came into their husbands' homes as virgins i.e. even the husband did not have se.x with them until they were legally married. Most polygamous relationships of today can not boast of this.
2. A typical polygamy (now and then) has a lot of politicking that takes people deep into selfishness and other means to protect themselves so it is not impossible to see people delve into sinfull pratcices/activities in order to survive in a polygamous setting.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 01, 2010
No is a personal choice.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MRMoneyE(m): 9:56am On Nov 01, 2010
rokiatu:

No is a personal choice.

WHICH ONE IS PERSONAL CHOICE ELABORATE,
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by buccaneer7(m): 10:25am On Nov 01, 2010
no one would marry many wives when he is not fit to do so, unless he is a freak (i mean when a guy over likes women and when another girl takes inoutside he wife he just play along, now this one is a sin).

even in old time, only the rich men marry more than one wife. we can check the lives our our grand parents it was only the wealthy ones that had more than one wife.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by nellaluv(f): 10:28am On Nov 01, 2010
It depends on what u believe, mr poster, do you think it's a sin. What u gonna get here is different opinion and counter-opinion of people with fake moral sense of judgement, what they believe is right or wrong or what have you.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MriCork1: 10:29am On Nov 01, 2010
Marry one woman BUT do not have more than 3 girlfriends,

5 is a crowd! wink
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MRMoneyE(m): 10:40am On Nov 01, 2010
Mr!Cork:

Marry one woman BUT do not have more than 3 girlfriends,

5 is a crowd! wink

I CONCUR wink
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by buccaneer7(m): 12:00pm On Nov 01, 2010
I CONCUR 

I NOR CONCUR,  WHEN I GET MONEY PASS MY PAPA I GO BEAT HIM RECORD,  I GO MARRY PASS THREE NOT ALL NIGERIAN WOMEN OOO. SOME FOR OTHER COUNTRIES.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MrsEve: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2010
Since it A PERSONAL CHOICE for a man to have multiple wives, then it should be no problem with women have multiple husbands if they chooses so. What good for the goose is good for the gander. We are equality society now remember?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MRMoneyE(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
MrsEve:

Since it A PERSONAL CHOICE for a man to have multiple wives, then it should be no problem with women have multiple husbands if they chooses so. What good for the goose is good for the gander. We are equality society now remember?

HMMMMM IN AFRICA DO YOU REMEMBER THAT ?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by MrsEve: 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2010
It doesn't matter where you are, IF IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE for a man to have more than one wife, a woman should have that personal choice to have more than one husband,

Don't sit up here and say that according to the bible, koran, and torah that the husband can have more than one wife if you are going to use the BOOKS, then also remember in the very same book ie bible it said to love and respect your wife as the Christ loves the church.

But of course that is EASILY OVERLOOKED,
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin. by buccaneer7(m): 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2010

Equal society by western dogma. Let boko haran people catch you, your own don finish. Besides, we can never be equal, man is man and woman is woman. unless you wan get third leg.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Black Women Have Bad Attitudes? / I Am In Love With Someone I Have Never Met. Is This Normal? / Guys.....would You Allow/accept Your Wife/girlfriend Selling Her Eggs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.