Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK (30079 Views)

Do this If you are a HND Graduate and want to get scholarship in USA and Canada / NDA Post-graduate School Accommodation / Apply 2019/2020 PTDF Scholarship In France, Germany And UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Engobi(m): 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2019
Yes but that opportunity will start counting from January 2020 intake
sassysure:

I thought it has been lifted.
2 yrs stay after schooling.

I haven't read that up. Somebody told me that last week.
So I don't know if I'm right.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Gokoyer0(m): 2:11pm On Sep 22, 2019
Nice one.
Passion2009:
I obtained my Bachelor's degree from a Nigerian university. Upon graduation, I proceeded to the U.S for my first Master's degree and later to the United Kingdom for my second Master's degree.

I have equally traveled across the world - I've had the honor to meet graduates from over 70 countries. Today, at a workshop in Canada - we discussed about graduate school opportunities all across the world and I've decided to share my thoughts with readers here on Nairaland. My opinions are drawn from my experience studying and living in both the United States and United Kingdom as an international student.

I will be writing about the Pros and Cons of obtaining a Master's degree in both the United States and the United Kingdom - the dream destinations for Nigerian students.

Graduate School in The United States of America

The United States is the most preferred destination for international students all across the world. They boast of the best and of course - the most expensive universities in the world. Among the top 20 Universities in the world, more than 10 are in the United States and among the top 200 universities in the world - at least 60 are in the United States as well. American universities are passionate about research, study, innovative ideas and critical thinking - especially if you attend a R1 university(e.g Harvard, Princeton, the University of Chicago, the University of Pittsburgh, CMU, etc) in the United States(Google the list of R1 universities). American universities have proven to be the epicentres of transformative discoveries and innovations in the past 50years and they still lead the world in the fourth industrial revolution.

PROS (Advantages of Schooling in the United States).

(1). YOU ARE MOST LIKELY A STRONGER CANDIDATE IN THE JOB MARKET DUE TO YOUR FLEXIBITY

For graduate students who are hardworking, talented and smart thinkers - American R1 universities provide you with a great opportunity to live your biggest dreams in different fields.
As a Master's student in the U.S, you can obtain a Major, a Minor and Certificates in different fields in the course of your two years of study. For instance, I have a mentee who bagged a Master of Public Policy from an American university and he was able to obtain a Major in Energy Policy, a Minor in Governance Development, a Certificate in Cyber Security and Law as well as another Certificate in Africana Studies. He amassed all of these qualifications in his two years of study in the United States. With these qualifications, he is flexible enough to apply to different jobs in different sectors and you can probably guess where he works now. It is also easier to do joint degrees as a grad student in American universities. In other words, you can be running a M.B.A/J.D program at the same time with your initial Master of Science in Psychology - you graduate with two top notch degrees that will give you a big advantage in the job market.
Although, it takes longer(2years) to bag a Master's degree in the U.S but it's mostly worth it for students who know their onions. More so, many grad school programs in the United States make it mandatory for you to go on internship abroad or within the U.S for about 3months. My mentee that I talked about earlier on had his internship in Vienna with one of the international organizations there - his entire internship expenses were fully funded by his American university. Opportunities like interning abroad as a grad student strengthen your profile and make you more formidable in the job market. The U.K grad schools largely do not give the room for this kind of flexibility offered by American universities.

2. THERE ARE MORE FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
If you are a strong candidate applying to an American university, you are very likely to secure scholarships and fellowships that will help cover most(if not all) expenses of your grad school education. Schools in the U.K are not as generous as American schools when it comes to funding/scholarships. A very significant percentage of the grad students in American universities study on full-scholarships. You can Google and read about the KNIGHT HENNESSEY SCHOLARSHIP initiative for grad students at Stanford University - this is just one American university.

3. DIVERSE LEARNING COMMUNITY.

American universities attract the highest number of foreign students in the world. They are the first choice of most international students globally.

4. WORLD CLASS FACULTY AND TOP CLASS FACILITIES.

5. A HIGH CHANCE OF BEING RETAINED TO PURSUE THE AMERICAN DREAM.

Particularly for those who have made the best use of their two years.

•CONS( Disadvantages of Studying in the United States)•

1. IT IS SUPER EXPENSIVE.

American universities are by far the most expensive in the world. For most programs in US R1 Universities, your tuition/school fees alone will cost you around $40,000(roughly 15million naira/per year) a year as an international student. Some programs in universities like UCHICAGO and Stanford even cost as high as $60,000 - $73,000 in tuition/per year. Most Master's programs in the United States also take two years to complete. Thus, tuition for a two-year Master's degree program(at the rate of $45,000/year may gulp over 30million naira from you).

2. THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCESSES ARE MORE STRINGENT AND COMPETITIVE COMPARED TO THE U.K

Many grad school programs in the United States - particularly in R1 universities require you take standardized tests like G.R.E and even TOEFL in some instances. This means more funds are injected into the application process and more candidates to compete with their test scores. While some programs in different American universities now waive the G.R.E test - many have begged to differ and I've instead stuck to their gun.

3. IT TAKES LONGER

In the United Kingdom, you are most likely to bag your Master's degree in the course of just one academic year in a similar program(as a grad student in the U.S) but this is not the case in the United States. The American educational system will keep you in the libraries and classrooms for at least one more year - buried in research works, readings and paper writing.

4. American ENGLISH
If you ever get to visit the United States, you will realize that their pronunciations are to an extent different from the British(Water is pronounced as
"WADAR" in the United States). If you grew up in Nigeria and your parents could not afford to send you to secondary schools like B.I.S, LEKKI British School, GRANGE and the likes - you may struggle to communicate with Americans on your first few days on campus.

5. EXPOSURE TO WHAT MAY SEEM TO BE NEGATIVE CULTURAL INFLUENCES.

Particularly for those who are conservatives - you may find it inconvenient and shocking.

•GRADUATE SCHOOL IN THE U.K•

British universities are no doubt some of the best in the world. They exude class, history and culture. From the classrooms to the libraries, you see students and faculty members making efforts to build on legacies that have defined their excellence and greatness for decades.

PROS(Advantages)

(1). CHEAPER OPTION

Compared to American universities, the U.K offers a similar world-class education for cheaper tuition fees. A Master's degree program that will cost you $40,000(just school fees/tuition) a year in a R1 American University will cost you less than $25,000 in the United Kingdom. It is also pertinent to remember that you are paying the $25,000 just for a year in the U.K but in the U.S.A - you are paying the $40,000 twice. To put things in perspective, the school fees for a Master's degree in the U.K will cost you less than $30,000(less than 10million naira) while a similar program in the United States will cost you at least $80,000(about 30million naira).

(2). EASIER TRANSITION TO NIGERIAN SYSTEM

(3). MORE RESERVED AND PEACEFUL

This is the major reason why some Nigerian politicians pick U.K schools over American universities. Many people see the extreme social/cultural exposure in the United States as destructive. Although, there are still a lot of Nigerian elites whose children study and live in the United States - particularly those in the National Assembly. In fact, Nigerian business men and investors still pick the United States(Canada taking over now) over the U.K as the most preferred destination for their children.

(4). WORLD CLASS FACULTY AND FACILITIES

(5). EASIER TO SECURE STUDENT VISA COMPARED TO THE CURRENT TRUMP USA - PARTICULARLY FOR APPLICANTS BASED IN NIGERIA

The United States now extremely scrutinize their student visa application process. In the past, once you secure admission into an American university, you are almost 100% assured of a U.S F1 visa. These days, the rate of F1 visa denials is shocking; even candidates with scholarships and good immigration history are being denied visas. Some even struggle to secure visa interview appointments in Lagos and Abuja. Currently, compared to Trump's America, the U.K is more relaxed when it comes to student visa issuance.

CONS(Disadvantages).

(1). Less Funding/Scholarships
Although U.K schools do offer decent scholarships to impressive applicants, they are way less generous compared to American universities.
Apart from scholarship initiatives like CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP and Mastercard Foundation Scholarship for U.K universities - there are no many funding opportunities for prospective grad students - compared to the United States - where even a research fellowship or a G.S.A/T.A with a professor can cover all your tuition and living expenses for two years. American universities by far have bigger endowments and funding when compared to U.K schools.

(2). Grad School Admissions are largely hinged on CGPA

American universities tend to look at a candidate's entire profile(leadership, research, volunteer experiences etc) when making admission decisions but U.K schools are more particular about CGPA.

(3). DESPITE BORIS JOHNSON'S FRESH 2-YEAR OFFER TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS; THE U.K IS YET TO RE-AFFIRM ITSELF AS THE PREFERRED DESTINATION FOR A POTENTIAL FOREIGN WORKER/IMMIGRANT.

Best of luck.

Ayobami Olorundare writes from Canada; 20th of September, 2019. He can be reached on Twitter.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by sogodihno: 2:19pm On Sep 22, 2019
Gokoyer0:
Nice one.

U quoted this entire post, just to say nice one?

Take

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by AuntyAmope(m): 2:19pm On Sep 22, 2019
Spot on bro.

What do you think about running two degrees at a time, a bachelor degree in law(accelerated law degree) and a masters degree in Islamic finance.? Is it possible?

Passion2009
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by seunny4lif(m): 2:29pm On Sep 22, 2019
If you want best education, go to Germany or Austria or Swiss or Finland or Ireland.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Ay92(m): 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2019
ozoebuka1:
Think smartly, you don't have to quote all that post just to make a point, you could've just mentioned the op... SMH... Now, go and edit your post please... No insults intended.
Oh God! A million likes to you for pointing this out. I wonder why some idiots quote the whole post just to give little or no meaningful comment.
I actually thought it's against Nairaland rules sef

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Kingkun69(m): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2019
WADAR WADAR grin grin; D that accent thing is very true me that I was a thick Igbo boy you have to adapt sha
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by PeachtreeReside(f): 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2019
). If you grew up in Nigeria and your parents could not afford to send you to secondary schools like B.I.S, LEKKI British School, GRANGE and the likes - you may struggle to communicate with Americans on your first few days on campus. 

Excuse me?? Piss poor excuse of an excuse!!

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by DeviIhimseIf: 3:03pm On Sep 22, 2019
[s]
sogodihno:

U quoted this entire post, just to say nice one?

Take
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by TJ0987(f): 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2019
Please what about Canadian graduate schools? Any advice on those?

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by emmanuel4758(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2019
I got PhD affidavit in USA. But that one is not enough I bag another PhD affidavit in uk, looking forward for professorship affidavit in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Smile4mee01: 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2019
Thank you Op.

Any insights about the quality of education in Australia?
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by DexterousOne(m): 3:20pm On Sep 22, 2019
franchasng:
Nigerians just love bagging degrees upon degrees just for showoff and to get employment in big name organizations built by white people who barely finished school.

Our love for paper degrees and certificates is part of why we are where we are today.

Nigeria and Africa need to stress more on craft, technology and artisanship education not paper based education that at the end, we produce so many professors who have never produced any meaningful research or invention that impacted the world and our society.

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by headword: 3:24pm On Sep 22, 2019
nice write up bro, I intend doing my master's after serving (youth corper), because am currently serving, and my pop is next year February. so am kind of confuse which country to do my master's, USA & UK are my preferred countries, so with ur write up, it has really helped a lot, thanks

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by salford1: 3:56pm On Sep 22, 2019
Sometimes, post on nairaland FP dey make sense.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by benji93: 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2019
You have omitted a point important to future researchers. The American system requires you to take a number of courses and work as a TA for your Phd which increases the number of years required to complete your Phd. The Uk Phd system is mostly a research based degree. You go in and concentrate on your research. That's why the Uk Phd system usually requires an Msc for admission into their programs.

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by salford1: 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2019
ednut1:
all a format. 2 years of menial and non fulfilling jobs loading. Better to go to canada
It all depends on luck and favour. Some of my colleagues (all Engineers) got excellent jobs within those two years and are on ILR now. I also know some grads from Canada schools working in security jobs on a three year work permit after their programs.

However, Canada has a more robust immigration system that favours graduates. One can be lucky to even find a fastfood restaurant that will offer a PR via provincial nominee for flipping burger in the kitchen.

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 22, 2019
skukimania:

And after working for 2years, what?
It makes it easier to get a work visa to UK if recommended by your workplace.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Kingkun69(m): 4:04pm On Sep 22, 2019
Ademoore07:
Asian universities are far better when considering tuition and scholarship. The main issue there is language barrier.
racist dey sef and their own is that they don't think it's wrong

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by skukimania(f): 4:04pm On Sep 22, 2019
Simran94:

It makes it easier to get a work visa to UK if recommended by your workplace.

Ok.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by webngnews: 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2019
Ok
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by EdoBoy90(m): 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2019
having read all the comments, it is very obvious that Nigerians go for Advanced degree to secure a better job

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Bsmartt(m): 4:37pm On Sep 22, 2019
Thanks for the information @Op.
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Sufisunni: 4:38pm On Sep 22, 2019
36STATES:

I studied in Belgium, Netherlands and UK. University rankings (THE) is always biased in favour of English speaking schools (UK, USA, Australia etc). One major defect in the ranking is the "popularity of the university" as a criteria. For the fact that most people around the world speak English and watch English movies, that has surely translated into fairly good knowledge about many things English, including their culture, schools etc. How many people in Nigeria can name any school in the Dutch, French and Asian speaking countries?

The quality of tuition I received in UK is a far cry when compared to what I got in Belgium and Netherlands. My stint in Holland was brief, it was a Fulbright 5 months exchange, but the quality is second to none. In UK, pass mark is 39%, and most people pay essay writers to pass exams. Not only that, 95% of most exams are essay, which nobody fails except you are a complete fool.

In Belgium and Netherlands pass mark is 50%, and you have to sit a proper exam and defend it before your lecturer, which is known as oral exam. Very very difficult to pass exams there without studying for it. Their exam questions are selected to cover the whole lecture, there is nothing like choose 3 from 5 questions. So to pass, you must cover the whole model. I still got distinction from a UK university even though I put 1/4 of what I did in Belgium.
I quite agree with you. Both QS and THE are UK owned newspapers and are out there to campaign for English speaking universities particularly UK universities in order to deceive Asian rich kids.

Their indices of ranking is quite biased to favour English speaking countries.

If you look at other ranking like Reuter ranking which is based on patents and innovations, and financial success of the said patent German univeristies trumped the UK; infact the most innovative university in Europe for years is in Belgium( https://graphics.reuters.com/EUROPE-UNIVERSITY-INNOVATION/010091N02HR/index.html0. Also employability ranking created by a French firm and usually published by THE, German univeristies beat UK again and other countries are well represented too across Europe and world in general https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-graduate-jobs-global-university-employability-ranking. The ranking usually ask HR of world leading companies which university graduates do they prefer to hire.

QS and THE use metrics that will favour their own universities. I wonder what popularity has to do with a university being good

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by salt1: 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2019
salford1:

It all depends on luck and favour. Some of my colleagues (all Engineers) got excellent jobs within those two years and are on ILR now. I also know some grads from Canada schools working in security jobs on a three year work permit after their programs.

However, Canada has a more robust immigration system that favours graduates. One can be lucky to even find a fastfood restaurant that will offer a PR via provincial nominee for flipping burger in the kitchen.

Flipping burger
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Sufisunni: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2019
salt1:

Flipping burger
lol! I know people who stayed back in the UK after year one Master and got good jobs commensurating with their qualifications.

You know if it were low paying jobs, immigtation would have kicked them out.
Though, it's not that easy!

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by Trutalker123: 5:10pm On Sep 22, 2019
smartsk:
Very educative write up, Op. How's life in Canada?
you got it right. Canada is the major point in that write up that gladdens our heart.

Schooling there being secondary compared to immigration which is the kokoo
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by femi4: 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
Doing 2 Masters means lack of focus and identity
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by RexTramadol1: 7:38pm On Sep 22, 2019
The difference btw both is better and best life
Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by lasthero: 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2019
timesup234:
None. Stay back in Nigeria. Do your masters here or use the money to set up a lucrative business. America and UK are both scam. You will regret it (This is for anyone trying to take similar step)

You have a high anti-abroad record. Hence, I'm not surprised with your comment.

You mean the way the founders of jumia and konga are regretting been havard graduates?,

Tell me any of their counterparts from Nigerian universities doing up to them in the ecommerce world?.

I shake my head for you bro

1 Like

Re: Comparing Graduate School In The USA and UK by timesup234: 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2019
lasthero:

You have a high anti-abroad record. Hence, I'm not surprised with your comment.

You mean the way the founders of jumia and konga are regretting been havard graduates?,

Tell me any of their counterparts from Nigerian universities doing up to them in the ecommerce world?.

I shake my head for you bro
You mean the way countless traders and businessmen in Nigeria who didnt even go to secondary school are billionaires? Abroad is a diseased that must be eradicated. It is the highest form of brainwashing of the black mind. Nothing in abroad is good. It is a disease

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Change Of Course/institution Form For 2013 Now on Sale, Click Here To Apply / Registered Errand Boy At The Ahmadu Bello University Zaria / Enugu Police Arrest Primary School Students For Not Doing Assignments(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.