Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite (5053 Views)

2023: South East Must Produce Next President, Igbo Elders Insist / Orji Kalu: Perpetrators Of Violence In South East Must Have A Rethink / Osinbajo On Igbos, Biafra And The Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by odinceblog(m): 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
[img][/img]

By Bluejack

I write as an Ijaw son from Bonny and Nkoro in Rivers State. Ijaw is my tribe, but Biafra remains my national consciousness. I have noticed an inexplicable and unnecessary division in the South-East and South-South in analogy to the reinvigorated quest to restore the Sovereign States of Biafra.

I think our people in these sister regions should reflect on these political and divisive ascriptions and rediscover themselves.

We are neither South-South nor South-East. We are the people of the Eastern Region, a people politically and economically impugned by our enemy in their bid to break our solid SOLIDARITY. We were too formidable for our enemies.

Some of our people think Biafra is an Igbo thing because they are ignorant of the origin of the name. Let me do justice to the origin of Biafra.

THE ORIGIN OF BIAFRA

Biafra is not aboriginal to Biafrans, since it was birthed out of the need to work together and escape the pogromists, rapists, land invaders, and religious fundamentalists called Fulani.

The leader of the Eastern Region, Dim Ojukwu, an educated military officer, assembled stakeholders from Ijaw, Obibio, Efik, and other tribes that constituted the region in his bid to come up with a name that would reflect the heterogeneous ambience of the region.

Chief Frank Opigo, an Ijaw traditional ruler that hails from today’s Bayelsa, suggested BIAFRA, and this went down well with everyone in attendance, for it referred to the water body that covers the entire region. What Ojukwu sought after was a name that would not be exclusionary to any of the tribes (Ijaw, Ibibio, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Annioma etc) in the region. Biafra became the baby of that quest.

Biafra, having come from a non-Igbo stakeholder, became the national consciousness of both the Igbo and non-Igbo constituents of the Eastern Region. Thenceforth, the need to actualise the nation of their dreams, the Land of the Rising Sun, became the aspiration of every easterner.

The failure of Nigeria to heed the Aburi Accord reached in Ghana for restructuring stoked the fire of the agitation for freedom. The Sovereign States of Biafra was declared, but it was short-lived because of avoidable internal wranglings that spiralled into the loss of the Civil War.

The incongruity in the Eastern Region was the result of the feud between Ojukwu and Dr. Kenule Benson Saro-Wiwa, an illustrious Ogoni son and Ojukwu’s military mentality and disposition.

WHY THE STRUGGLE FAILED IN THE 60S?

CONTINUE: https://odinceblog.com/the-origin-of-the-name-biafra-and-why-south-south-and-south-east-must-unite/

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by allcomage: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2019
Unity among the tribes involved will give them referendum.

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2019
The division my brother was done by the British, Hausa and Yoruba to gain access to Biafra oil.

Till this day, some of our brothers both in SS/SE still never get sense.

I hope we can change this narrative and develop our country.

All the Biafran tribes are one and nothing to fight over. We compliment each other.

10 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by JonDon12: 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:
The division my brother was done by the British, Hausa and Yoruba to gain access to Biafra oil.

Till this day, some of our brothers both in SS/SE still never get sense.

I hope we can change this narrative and develop our country.

All the Biafran tribes are one and nothing to fight over. We compliment each other.

You are right about that. I hope the SS states have learnt their lesson. Fact is if they hadnt collaborated with the 3rd Marine Commando, Biafra would have won that war. And what did they get in return. Genocide and Land Degradation. The same Obasanjo that commanded the 3rd Marine is the same one that razed Odi to the ground.

And till these days we still have traitors in our mist

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by kayfra: 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
And the foolishness continues... grin

Please pass me that Fuji music

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Inteltower: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2019
Biafra is vision/proposition that will benefit both SE & SS. just like the US conquered & divided the USSR so also did the British, North & SW divided us, confiscated our properties, gave us only 20 naira each, & now some persons in the SS tribes that dont know their history is fighting igbos that only wish them well.

Biafra might be an illusion but it is better than the reality we have today called Nigeria

14 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2019
JonDon12:

You are right about that. I hope the SS states have learnt their lesson. Fact is if they hadnt collaborated with the 3rd Marine Commando, Biafra would have won that war. And what did they get in return. Genocide and Land Degradation. The same Obasanjo that commanded the 3rd Marine is the same one that razed Odi to the ground.

And till these days we still have traitors in our mist

This history is abit heavy.

The truth must always be told, leson learnt and brothers forgiven to harmonious coexistence.

I am convinced that Ijaw, Igbo and Urhobo are brothers and we can surely do better than wat we are doing now.

7 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2019
Inteltower:
Biafra is vision/proposition that will benefit both SE & SS. just like the US conquered & divided the USSR so also did the British, North & SW divided us, confiscated our properties, gave us only 20 naira each, & now some persons in the SS tribes that know their history is fighting igbos that only wish them well.

Biafra might be an illusion but it is better than the reality we have today called Nigeria

Our family are scattered and divided.

Many of us dont even know that we are brothers anymore.

They have so much poisoned our mind to the point of bitterness.

The only part that still amazes me and y they say blood is thicker than water, is that we have not yet faced each other in an all out war.

Take Asari for example, after threats, he comes back to tell us he has Igbo blood in his veins.

See the way in Delta State power is made to rotate, this is the spirit of brotherhood. It is one of trust.

12 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 5:57pm On Sep 21, 2019
Many of u might not know this but in Igboland, wen a position becomes vacant, they look for an area that have not yet held that position to occupy it.

Igbo have one of the oldest system of democratic governance in west africa.

It is nice to see that alive in Delta State.

Even Anambra had to rotate power to the North despite having so many strong and popualar southern contenders.

The truth is that one day, an Igala Anambra man will be governor of my state.

We already have them represented in Obiano cabinet.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Biodun556(m): 5:57pm On Sep 21, 2019
When they were killed in South Africa they claimed they were Nigerians, singing national anthem and settled in Lagos instead of going to so called Biafra.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by JonDon12: 5:58pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

This history is abit heavy.

The truth must always be told, leson learnt and brothers forgiven to harmonious coexistence.

I am convinced that Ijaw, Igbo and Urhobo are brothers and we can surely do better than wat we are doing now.

I think if we just kick the Northern states out of Nigeria, we will be alright.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by googi: 5:58pm On Sep 21, 2019
Peace of mind must rein above all others. Once you all retreat back home, we will know you are serious. Ojukwu did that but Issac be Boro rebelled against him.

Please do it again and settle your differences there.

The WEST needs it to think, reflect and revive its match back to the glorious days of Western Region without Oil Income.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:01pm On Sep 21, 2019
JonDon12:

I think if we just kick the Northern states out of Nigeria, we will be alright.

I think Yoruba muslim constitute a far bigger problem than the northern muslim.

They are presently blocking the return of power to the SE and by extension the South.

The North have stated severally that power is going to the SE, but Yoruba muslim insist that power is coming to SW.

This was exactky wat they did in NASS, where the north lobbied for SE, but SW insist that the position in the reps belong to them for supporting Buhari

I will rather stay with the North isntead.

The north will always give the East that which belongs to the East.

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by blacknp(m): 6:02pm On Sep 21, 2019
Inteltower:
Biafra is vision/proposition that will benefit both SE & SS. just like the US conquered & divided the USSR so also did the British, North & SW divided us, confiscated our properties, gave us only 20 naira each, & now some persons in the SS tribes that dont know their history is fighting igbos that only wish them well.

Shut up Liar,Biafra is a name coined by the British, tomorrow you would say it is one drunk in the Niger Delta that gave us the name Nigeria? The bight of Bonny, used to be called the bight of Biafra, until that criminal used the name to take Nigeria to war, and after the war in 1970 it was changed to the bight of Bonny by the Military Government, go and read your history properly.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
[s]
blacknp:
Shut up Liar,Biafra is a name coined by the British, tomorrow you would say it is one drunk in the Niger Delta that gave us the name Nigeria? The bight of Bonny, used to be called the bight of Biafra, until that criminal used the name to take Nigeria to war, and after the war in 1970 it was changed to the bight of Bonny by the Military Government, go and read your history properly.
[/s]

The word Biafra came from the Ijaw.

It will pay u to listen to Asari Dokunbo.

Ijaw are more Biafran than even Igbos.

The first push to exit Nigeria came from the Ijaw.

Isaac Adaka Boro.

This was even before oil was discovered.

If Igbos listened earlier to the minorities perhaps they would have saved millions of Igbo lives lost in the Biafran War.

The truth is dat, our SS brothers found all the groups in Nigeria very strange and wanted to continue with their family structure.

They wanted a smaller country.

It was Nnamdi Azikiwe that was calling himself Zik of Africa. Onye Ara!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Inteltower: 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2019
blacknp:

so the history giving above is a lie abi ?
please in your foolishness counter the person that shared the history with us.

British coining biafra my foot..
check where you read that rubbish.
insinuating that is was Britain That gave the biafran name. your olodo is too much

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
Wateva Nnamdi Kanu is doing, he must listen to SS attentively.

I find Igbo people dont like to listen.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by googi: 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

They are presently blocking the return of power to the SEand by extension the South.

The North have stated severally that power is going to the SE, but Yoruba muslim insist that power is coming to SW.

This was exactky wat they did in NASS, where the north lobbied for SE, but SW insist that the position in the reps belong to them for supporting Buhari

I like your mind set with unity with the North. It has always been your position from the time of Zik and Balewa Coalition and as long as you remain in Nigeria will always be.

If you want to know the truth, no part of Nigeria trust you. We saw how you led during Jonathan time. Even Ijaw learn from it.

Yoruba is your problem because Lagos Is Within Reach will remains elusive forever.

Did you read that? FOREVER!

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by JonDon12: 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

They are presently blocking the return of power to the SEand by extension the South.

I disagree with you. Even though southerners can be dishonest or devious , at least amongst us there are rules of engagement. The Northerns like all arabs have no rules, no honor, no pride, no ability, ambition or desire except to submit themselves to 7th century doctrines, That is why there is no developed functioning arab economy apart from a tiny state in a tiny country (Dubai). Within the south, we can have some healthy competition, but with the north, you cannot dialogue with illiterate people.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2019
googi:

I like your mind set with unity with the North. It has always been your position from the time of Zik and Balewa Coalition and as long as you remain in Nigeria will always be.

If you want to know the truth, no part of Nigeria trust you. We saw how you led during Jonathan time. Even Ijaw learn from it.

Yoruba is your problem because Lagos Is Within Reach will remains elusive forever.

Truth is, I love the Yoruba and wish they could be my brother.

Note, key word is 'wish.'

Fact is Yoruba muslims are traitorous.

Take wat they did to GEJ as an example.

Let us look at recent history, leaving Ojukwu and Awolowo.

U even have MURIC pushing to islamise the most Christian SS.

Aside the outburst and calls for genocide to be committed against Igbos by prominent Yoruba muslims.

Do u think, i am a goat? Even if we have some Igbo goats, all Igbos cannot be goat.

7 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Iamgrey5(m): 6:36pm On Sep 21, 2019
blacknp:
Actually the word Biafra was coined by Portuguese. They name the bight of biafra like they named Lagos. There was nothing like a Biafra nation before Nigeria itself.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Actually the word Biafra was coined by Portuguese. They name the bight of biafra like they named Lagos. There was nothing like a Biafra nation before Nigeria itself.

Biafra existed before Nigeria if you claim the name was coined by portuguese becos they were the first arrivals long before the British arrived to take portuguese colony.

However, in political sense, it was Ijaws that came up with the name Biafra as our nation and not Igbos.

Alot of Igbo scholars even thought the word meant something in Ijaw, after decoding Bia as come in Igbo but nobody knew wat fra meant.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Iamgrey5(m): 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

Biafra existed before Nigeria if you claim the name was coined by portuguese becos they were the first arrivals long before the British arrived to take portuguese colony.

However, in political sense, it was ijaws that came up with the name Biafra as our nation and not Igbos.
The Bight of Biafra is named after mafra in Portugal. You need to learn the true history not the propaganda you were fed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra

or what does Biafra means in ijaw language?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:43pm On Sep 21, 2019
[s]
Iamgrey5:
The Bight of Biafra is named after mafra in Portugal. You need to learn the true history not the propaganda you were fed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra

or what does Biafra means in ijaw language?
[/s]

wikipedia is not a source, try another please.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by mrvitalis(m): 6:44pm On Sep 21, 2019
googi:

Which position did we even have during jonathan time ..DSP and SSG what else ?

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by googi: 6:48pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

Truth is, I love the Yoruba and wish they could be my brother.

Note, key word is 'wish.'

Fact is Yoruba muslims are traitorous.

Take wat they did to GEJ as an example.

Let us look at recent history, leaving Ojukwu and Awolowo.

U even have MURIC pushing to islamise the most Christian SS.

Aside the ouburst and calls for genocide to be committed against Igbos by prominent Yoruba muslims.

Do u think, i am a goat? Even if we have some Igbo goats, all Igbos cannot be goat.

Keep on halaring like James Brown on foregn religions to divide Yoruba. I love it each time you guys hala on it.

No wonder you missed your way to Lagos from Ore. Even after the same Yoruba (Black Scopion) gave you arms and ammunition to face your enemies to the North.

With your mindset, we understand why you walk over Midwest and turned to soft Yoruba cowards at Ore.

Anyway, your Salvation is in the North as you postulated.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Iamgrey5(m): 6:48pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:
[s][/s]

wikipedia is not a source, try another please.
The Nation formed by Ojukwu was named after the bight of Biafra named by the Portuguese, just like Benin republic is named after the bight of Benin which is opposite the bight of Biafra.

I know it's always hard to learn the truth, but the truth is the truth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by googi: 6:49pm On Sep 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

Which position did we even have during jonathan time ..DSP and SSG what else ?

Ingrates as usual!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:53pm On Sep 21, 2019
googi:

Keep on halaring like James Brown on foregn religions to divide Yoruba. I love it each time you guys hala on it.

No wonder you missed your way to Lagos from Ore. Even after the same Yoruba (Black Scopion) gave you arms and ammunition to face your enemies to the North.

With your mindset, we understand why you walk over Midwest and turned to soft Yoruba cowards at Ore.

Anyway, your Salvation is in the North as you postulated.

I am not trying to divided anybody, yoruba are already divided along religious lines.

Yoruba politically have always been divided, this is y Biafra scares you.

Historically, yoruba had so much fight that some think the early Biafra war and Nigeria instability in the 1960s straight after independence was caused by the internecine warring among political factions in South West region, so savage ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdgntTmbuEY

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Shawnnn01: 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:
[s][/s]
It was Nnamdi Azikiwe that was calling himself Zik of Africa. Onye Ara!

So Igbo Azikwe after using Nigeria to achieve is Zik of Africa foolishness can now throw the same Nigerian under the bus and still expect other Nigerians to tolerate his foolishness ba ?

Na Igbo go tell Nigeria when to be United, disunited n now should be given presidency of a platter of gold ba ?

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2019
Shawnnn01:

So Igbo Azikwe after using Nigeria to achieve is Zik of Africa foolishness can now throw the same Nigerian under the bus and still expect other Nigerians to tolerate his foolish ba ?

Na Igbo go tell Nigeria when yo be United, disunited n now should be given presidency of a platter of gold ba ?

U are too funny... grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sowore: Naira Redesign Fraud, Targeted At Hurting Poor Nigerians / Forget Previous Years’ Leadership Frustrations, Tinubu Urges Diasporan Nigerians / INEC Promotes 5,196 Members Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.