Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,406 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant (5574 Views)

Is NECO Exams Irrelevant? / OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 8:21am On Sep 25, 2019
Based on the goings at the Nigerian working climates..it has becoming increasingly neccessary to inform the prospective admission candidates of the uselesness of certain courses in the Nigerian workers spectrum

Among those that have become increasingly a waste of time include: Economics, dentistry, micro biology, bio- technology, biochemiatry, medical labouratory technology..etc...

U wanna know why..? Lets discuss
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 25, 2019
Economics, why?

Besides, does it really matter these days what one studied? Going to the university and being able to graduate with 'flying colours' goes beyond the relevance/irrelevance of the course you studied.

IMO it's about being able to go through the rigorous course work and ace it at the end of the programme in the minimum amount of time required.

Finance and Investment would never go out of fashion so justify the stuff you put up there, let's begin.

Besides, do a check on websites of reputable universities in the UK and US, they still offer these programmes so what are you talking about bruh, give more details.

2 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 25, 2019
Any course that you can’t establish on your own is useless... Any course that is 100 percent theory is useless.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Onlinedet: 11:14am On Sep 25, 2019
bigpicture001:

Based on the goings at the Nigerian working climates..it has becoming increasingly neccessary to inform the prospective admission candidates of the uselesness of certain courses in the Nigerian workers spectrum

Among those that have become increasingly a waste of time include: Economics, dentistry, micro biology, bio- technology, biochemiatry, medical labouratory technology..etc...

It's *biochemistry* pls... If you want to talk about things like this, you would need to avoid all these spelling errors, it shows you don't know what you are saying.
Do you even know what dentistry really is?... I bet you don't...
And i don't blame you because the name "dentistry" itself is a misnomer.

2 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by blessednigga(m): 1:13pm On Sep 25, 2019
In Nigeria, study any course and go and hustle... Your certificate will give you some opportunities
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 25, 2019
This is a misinformed post.

Economics, irrelevant?
Not at all.

The courses you mentioned above are VERY useful and relevant .

Go to a first world country and see how relevant they are.

4 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
Lucid1:
Economics, why?

Besides, does it really matter these days what one studied? Going to the university and being able to graduate with 'flying colours' goes beyond the relevance/irrelevance of the course you studied.

IMO it's about being able to go through the rigorous course work and ace it at the end of the programme in the minimum amount of time required.

Finance and Investment would never go out of fashion so justify the stuff you put up there, let's begin.

Besides, do a check on websites of reputable universities in the UK and US, they still offer these programmes so what are you talking about bruh, give more details.

Boom!
Word
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by obynno7(m): 2:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
medical lab.science u most be joking there is no state.federal or even private hospital without a lab scientist

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by ifeoluwazaddy(f): 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2019
how is micro biology useless
undecided

4 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by mexyk(m): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2019
bigpicture001:

Strongly disagree. Your opinion though. undecided
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by nlPoster: 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2019
Economics?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by iaamxavier(m): 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2019
Did you just type dentistry and Medical lab??

Op is your brain paining u? Or you've entered An everlasting covenant with foolishness??

7 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by collins88(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2019
bigpicture001:

Iam very disappointed in you, all of the said courses are very relevant. Ok let's, compare Economics=History. Med-Laboratory-Tech= AEB. Etc which of them pay more? even if you are not searching for a white collar job you are very relevant, and people will seek your services, you can decide to to open a store buy some equipment and people will come and do blood test?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by eleojo23: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2019
This Op just wants to trend.
Dentistry? When there are not up to 10,000 dentists in the entire country?
Medlab? Really?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by solmusdesigns: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2019
cool

Typical Nigerian mentality is worrying O.P, University courses are not designed only for you to carry your C.Vs and look for work, with masters in any field you personally should be able to consult for big firms and trade your expertise...

If you truly completed your studies in a good instituition and also completed a final year project on your own using knowledge you acquired and you cant make a use of your certificate then you have wasted your own time..

Some Courses like Micro Biology and Biochemistry requires you to go for your Masters and PhD to better utilize opurtunities in such fields, this are research careers that are extremely rewarding only for people who can research

American,Western and Asian's University Graduates dont just limit their job prospect to only their country., they search abroad and become expertraites

2 Likes

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bIoodykiller: 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2019
[s]
solmusdesigns:
cool

Typical Nigerian mentality is worrying O.P, University courses are not designed only for you to carry your C.Vs and look for work, with masters in any field you personally should be able to consult for big firms and trade your expertise...

If you truly completed your studies in a good instituition and also completed a final year project on your own using knowledge you acquired and you cant make a use of your certificate then you have wasted your own time..

Some Courses like Micro Biology and Biochemistry requires you to go for your Masters and PhD to better utilize opurtunities in such field, this are research careers that are extremely rewarding only for people who can research
[/s]
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2019
collins88:

Iam very disappointed in you, all of the said courses are very relevant. Ok let's, compare Economics=History. Med-Laboratory-Tech= AEB. Etc which of them pay more? even if you are not searching for a white collar job you are very relevant, and people will seek your services, you can decide to to open a store buy some equipment and people will come and do blood test?

I understand your saying this from the theoretical view...but com to reality..hw may economics graduates are gainfully employed..?

Dnt look at soludo nd the bunch of them..
Economist are suppose to b the backbone of planning in a firm..but most firms are managed in that regard by the enterprenure...lest, many of them end up roaming aimlessly..

Talk about the MLT..mind you its not same as med lab science...with that cert..u cant practice clinical lab issues...the MLS ppl formed association nd made it mandatory through diffrent minitries of health to inspect lab against. Unqualified as the call it to practice their courses...

Yes dat does not stop an MLT graduate from setting up thier own lab...but the p with that also is the same reason we all dont hv own biz....finance

Now lets discuss...
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 5:27pm On Sep 25, 2019
Onlinedet:

It's *biochemistry* pls... If you want to talk about things like this, you would need to avoid all these spelling errors, it shows you don't know what you are saying.

Am very sorry about those misspelt words..i was in d car when I created that topic...doesnt mean I dnt know what am seeing

Now come to reality..dentistry in Nigeria is a course whose main employer is d govt...

if you studied economy, unemployment and wages..you would realize that most gainful and abundant employment is in the private sector...now private sector dont delve into the practise again cuz their is almost zero demand for its services....

Dnt just argue for the sake of it...see my moniker
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Meel: 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2019
bigpicture001:

I understand your saying this from the theoretical view...but com to reality..hw may economics graduates are gainfully employed..?

Economist are suppose to b the backbone of planning in a firm..but most firms are managed in that regard by the enterprenure...lest, many of them end up roaming aimlessly..

Talk about the MLT..mind you its not same as med lab science...with that cert..u cant practice clinical lab issues...the MLS ppl formed association nd made it mandatory through diffrent minitries of health to inspect lab against. Unqualified as the call it to practice their courses...

Yes dat does not stop an MLT graduate from setting up thier own lab...but the p with that also is the same reason we all dont hv own biz....finance

Now lets discuss...

sir it is Science Laboratory Technology ( SLT) not MLT.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by UdyOgwoUde(m): 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2019
For those quoting OP, he's referring to Nigeria system and not advanced countries.

What's the point of acquiring degrees when there is no 3% hope of getting a job after graduation?

Unless the system change, going to school nowadaysdays in Nigeria is just to fulfill all righteousness. Those that dropped their certificates for hustle are the wisest!

On the other hand, I'm not discouraging anyone.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by imam07: 10:02pm On Sep 25, 2019
Onlinedet:

d guy is an idiot. If not because of dentist doctors, I don't think I would have bn okay by now. He doesn't know tooth problem is one of d major human body disorder now.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by imam07: 10:03pm On Sep 25, 2019
UdyOgwoUde:
For those quoting OP, he's referring to Nigeria system and not advanced countries.

What's the point of acquiring degrees when there is no 3% hope of getting a job after graduation?

Unless the system change, going to school nowadaysdays in Nigeria is just to fulfill all righteousness. Those that dropped their certificates for hustle are the wisest!

On the other hand, I'm not discouraging anyone.
So u too agree dentistry is an irrelevant course?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by trueking: 10:12pm On Sep 25, 2019
My God, did I just see dentistry is becoming irrelevant Seriously
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Kingkun69(m): 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2019
bigpicture001:

oya you tell us why they would become irrelevant I really want to know
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Sukueponmalu: 10:33pm On Sep 25, 2019
Op is high on cow dung
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Onlinedet: 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2019
bigpicture001:

Am very sorry about those misspelt words..i was in d car when I created that topic...doesnt mean I dnt know what am seeing

Now come to reality..dentistry in Nigeria is a course whose main employer is d govt...

if you studied economy, unemployment and wages..you would realize that most gainful and abundant employment is in the private sector...now private sector dont delve into the practise again cuz their is almost zero demand for its services....

Dnt just argue for the sake of it...see my moniker
"Their main employer is the gov't", that doesn't make it irrelevant bro, They are even scarce....
That's even why their services are subsidised in the health sector.
As a matter of fact dentistry is just evolving in Nigeria over the years.....
If you want to write, write what you know bro. Because dentistry is broader than you think, it's a very broad specialty.
that's why i said "the name dentistry itself is a misnomer".
Do your research and get to know more about it, i also once had this same mindset about dentistry.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2019
bigpicture001:

Now lets discuss...

The problem.is not economics as a course,the problem is d lecturers that did not fully impart.knowledge on the students . Economics is very vital in warehouse/inventory management,human resources, teaching, banks etc. I studied economics and did not regret in anyway,am still pursuing it to PHD,the chances of getting jobs is very high but the question is, do graduates of economics in Nigeria actually understand what the course offers!!
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 7:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
angelusbrut:

The problem.is not economics as a course,the problem is d lecturers that did not fully impart.knowledge on the students . Economics is very vital in warehouse/inventory management,human resources, teaching, banks etc. I studied economics and did not regret in anyway,am still pursuing it to PHD,the chances of getting jobs is very high but the question is, do graduates of economics in Nigeria actually understand what the course offers!!

You still dnt get me...dia is nothing wrong with studying the course and understanding it vry much..but if you would agree, almost all of he economics graduate are supposed to be epkoyed atiits "micro" and not its "macro" level..so at the micro level, they depend on coys to need their services

The problem now is that most enterprenuers dont feel te ned for a specialized planner..most assume the rles of economist nd also thier managers....

This is the reason most are nt employed...nd any coursettht lack employable capacity in give society hence becones useless...for you dts still goes up the ladder in the fild, its 70 percent in hope for employment in the academic field especially as a lcturer
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2019
[quote author=bigpicture001 post=82749019]

80 percent of economics graduates are half baked, am sorry to say that, Nigerian lecturers don't even have much knowledge of the course and where it can be applied, I have interviewed many severally and was disappointed in the outcome of the interview, since 2016, it's only one lady that did my course I interviewed one day was the only person that have good knowledge of the course among the people I have met so far in d course of carrying out my job, she was yet to serve, believe me she works in a company now in Lagos.
.well whatever you believe in will surely work for you, personally am utilizing my field on the job am doing presentlyand outside the job too, for lecturing if I wish, I will get that 100 Percent sure, you develop yourself to attain the level you wish for yourself. It's all about your VALUE- some peeps studied the course but will add zero value if even employed, simply because they don't believe in themselves
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Maid007: 1:21am On Oct 02, 2019
You guys should stop wasting your time trying to enlighten the OP...
I gave up on him the moment i saw dentistry and Economics... He is unredeemable....
Especially when i saw "dentistry" , i was shocked.... It's obvious he didn't do his home work well....

The funny thing is that the OP is studying MECHANICAL ENGINEERING in NIGERIA, now tell me about irrelevance.....

OP, i suggest you do your research before bringing up things like this...
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Nobody: 2:30am On Oct 02, 2019
bigpicture001:

I Have told myself that I will never abuse anyone one social media......but bro I won't feel right if I don't tell u this..... YOU ARE AN UNINFORMED FOOL.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by porka: 11:28am On Oct 02, 2019
bigpicture001:

You still dnt get me...dia is nothing wrong with studying the course and understanding it vry much..but if you would agree, almost all of he economics graduate are supposed to be epkoyed atiits "micro" and not its "macro" level..so at the micro level, they depend on coys to need their services

The problem now is that most enterprenuers dont feel te ned for a specialized planner..most assume the rles of economist nd also thier managers....

This is the reason most are nt employed...nd any coursettht lack employable capacity in give society hence becones useless...for you dts still goes up the ladder in the fild, its 70 percent in hope for employment in the academic field especially as a lcturer

Who taught you this?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hand Washing Vs Hand Sanitizer See Result / If U Ar In Lagos Nd U Re Going 4 Fuoye Exams, Enta Lets Discuss / How Do You Tell Your Parents You Want To Drop Out Of School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.