Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant (5576 Views)

Is NECO Exams Irrelevant? / OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by porka: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2019
bigpicture001:

Am very sorry about those misspelt words..i was in d car when I created that topic...doesnt mean I dnt know what am seeing

Now come to reality..dentistry in Nigeria is a course whose main employer is d govt...

if you studied economy, unemployment and wages..you would realize that most gainful and abundant employment is in the private sector...now private sector dont delve into the practise again cuz their is almost zero demand for its services....

Dnt just argue for the sake of it...see my moniker

Do you know what dentists do? Have you ever been to any dental hospital before?

Nigeria's current unemployment issue is already critical for every sector. Did you know that the unemployment figure of 20.9m from the NBS includes graduates of all disciplines? Do you realize that it also includes artisans and non-graduate blue-collar employments?

The NMA Abuja branch recently said many of their members are finding it difficult to get jobs, are you suggesting that Medicine and Surgery is useless too?

Your arguments say alot about your level of ignorance and perhaps your lack of capacity to express yourself.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by porka: 11:59am On Oct 02, 2019
UdyOgwoUde:
For those quoting OP, he's referring to Nigeria system and not advanced countries.

What's the point of acquiring degrees when there is no 3% hope of getting a job after graduation?

Unless the system change, going to school nowadaysdays in Nigeria is just to fulfill all righteousness. Those that dropped their certificates for hustle are the wisest!

On the other hand, I'm not discouraging anyone.

He singled out some courses (he did not mean all degrees), though.

But then, taking your argument further, why do you bother to hustle when you have 97% chance of not succeeding?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2019
porka:

Nigeria's current unemployment issue is already critical for every sector. Did you know that the unemployment figure of 20.9m from the NBS includes graduates of all disciplines? Do you realize that it also includes artisans and non-graduate blue-collar employments?

The NMA Abuja branch recently said many of their members are finding it difficult to get jobs, are you suggesting that Medicine and Surgery is useless too?

Your arguments say alot about your level of ignorance and perhaps your lack of capacity to express yourself.

Its funny how u ended up making sure u insult me..even when I raised the white flag....i can b very very abusive..nd for that have been barred more than 15x...

Now, the diffrence between me and you is that am a realist while u are a theorist...if u must know from reality, med. and surg. Has started to experience difficulty In having gainful employment..it starts to manifest even from days of housemanship...ask graduate doctors..nd here for urself...

Private attachment for practice abound..but most represent underemployment...most graduate docs..are not enterprenuer driven. They cant create jobs..they only want to b employs...so yes..i will say that unemployment is also seeing increase in the med. and surg profession
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by UdyOgwoUde(m): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2019
porka:

He singled out some courses (he did not mean all degrees), though.

But then, taking your argument further, why do you bother to hustle when you have 97% chance of not succeeding?

If you believe in failure, I don't. That's why I don't quit, even when things are hard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Evangkatsoulis: 5:11am On Oct 03, 2019
Maid007:
You guys should stop wasting your time trying to enlighten the OP...
I gave up on him the moment i saw dentistry and Economics... He is unredeemable....
Especially when i saw "dentistry" , i was shocked.... It's obvious he didn't do his home work well....

The funny thing is that the OP is studying MECHANICAL ENGINEERING in NIGERIA, now tell me about irrelevance.....

OP, i suggest you do your research before bringing up things like this...
Mechanical engineering can never be irrelevant mr man.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Maid007: 11:42am On Oct 03, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

Mechanical engineering can never be irrelevant mr man.
The same way Dentistry and Economics can never be irrelevant....
I'm jst dancing to the OP's tune here, ok? .....

He tried to single out some courses, when we all know that it's a general phenomenon in this country....
Some of the courses he mentioned above are even more marketable than the course he is studying (home and abroad). Do u knw how many mechanical eng. Graduates are still unemployed today in this country??.....
Pls, let's be informed before we open a thread like this.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Maid007: 12:05pm On Oct 03, 2019
bigpicture001:

Its funny how u ended up making sure u insult me..even when I raised the white flag....i can b very very abusive..nd for that have been barred more than 15x...

Now, the diffrence between me and you is that am a realist while u are a theorist...if u must know from reality, med. and surg. Has started to experience difficulty In having gainful employment..it starts to manifest even from days of housemanship...ask graduate doctors..nd here for urself...

Private attachment for practice abound..but most represent underemployment...most graduate docs..are not enterprenuer driven. They cant create jobs..they only want to b employs...so yes..i will say that unemployment is also seeing increase in the med. and surg profession
We know about the underemployment in the medical profession bro (which is because of how messed up the system is) .... But that doesn't make it irrelevant....
Just drop this argument pls....
That was how u were saying dentistry is irrelevant, but i'm sure by now, u would have known better..... Peace out!!!
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Evangkatsoulis: 1:09pm On Oct 03, 2019
Maid007:

The same way Dentistry and Economics can never be irrelevant....
I'm jst dancing to the OP's tune here, ok? .....

He tried to single out some courses, when we all know that it's a general phenomenon in this country....
Some of the courses he mentioned above are even more marketable than the course he is studying (home and abroad). Do u knw how many mechanical eng. Graduates are still unemployed today in this country??.....
Pls, let's be informed before we open a thread like this.
Oga, mechanical engineering is much broader than dentistry and economics.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by DemgadTinko: 2:34pm On Oct 03, 2019
Please you guys should stop attacking the OP , We all know that all courses are relevant. Hence ,that's why the course was created in the first place. However, he is talking about how easy it is for a graduate of such courses to get jobs in this present Nigeria . Are they high in demand for their Expertise?

What is the need of studying Biochemistry and search for Job in that particular field for 7 years? ( unless you want to do Bank marketing: this is no longer in that field ) instead of studying courses like journalism & Mass communication , Accounting ,Medicine and surgery ,Education,Law ,Architecture, Civil engineering , ICT(Web design and security i.e computer science and engineering |)that are in so much in demand in Nigeria at this moment?

His point is that why should a young vibrant fellow go into an area /field in which his/her chances of being utilized or getting employment is very limited especially in Nigeria instead of going into a field where your services are mostly needed and in great demand?

in a clinic , how many Dentist do you see they employed ? as well as how many people in Nigeria even visit their dental clinic/dentist regularly?

even as a biochemist , whether in an hospital or food industry how many did you see they employ there ? compare to people graduating in those courses across Nigeria . ? Your guess is as good as mine. its obvious Supply is way bigger than the Demand

So,as it is now in Nigeria,We had better go learn vocational skills than studying some courses . Vocations such as Fashion designing ,Cake baking, Hair styling & barbing amongst several others are high in demand than some of this courses that are relevant but low in demand.

by the way im a Biochemist by training but no longer in the field (doing something else now ) . and i wouldn't want to say i regretted studying it . However , i wished i studied other in-demand courses .
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by DemgadTinko: 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2019
porka:

"Your arguments say alot about your level of ignorance and perhaps your lack of capacity to express yourself". Why this statement na?You dont need to say that na
Yes , even though we all know unemployment is affecting every discipline, however, You and i know that its a bit easier for a medical doctor to secure a job so far he is good ooo than a graduate of philosophy/biochemistry/ sociology ( in their rightful field oo)
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 3:09pm On Oct 03, 2019
Maid007:

We know about the underemployment in the medical profession bro (which is because of how messed up the system is) .... But that doesn't make it irrelevant....
Just drop this argument pls....
That was how u were saying dentistry is irrelevant, but i'm sure by now, u would have known better..... Peace out!!!

Still highly irrelevant bro..dentistry
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Maid007: 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2019
DemgadTinko:
Please you guys should stop attacking the OP , We all know that all courses are relevant. Hence ,that's why the course was created in the first place. However, he is talking about how easy it is for a graduate of such courses to get jobs in this present Nigeria . Are they high in demand for their Expertise?

What is the need of studying Biochemistry and search for Job in that particular field for 7 years? ( unless you want to do Bank marketing: this is no longer in that field ) instead of studying courses like journalism & Mass communication , Accounting ,Medicine and surgery ,Education,Law ,Architecture, Civil engineering , ICT(Web design and security i.e computer science and engineering |)that are in so much in demand in Nigeria at this moment?

His point is that why should a young vibrant fellow go into an area /field in which his/her chances of being utilized or getting employment is very limited especially in Nigeria instead of going into a field where your services are mostly needed and in great demand?

in a clinic , how many Dentist do you see they employed ? as well as how many people in Nigeria even visit their dental clinic/dentist regularly?

even as a biochemist , whether in an hospital or food industry how many did you see they employ there ? compare to people graduating in those courses across Nigeria . ? Your guess is as good as mine. its obvious Supply is way bigger than the Demand

So,as it is now in Nigeria,We had better go learn vocational skills than studying some courses . Vocations such as Fashion designing ,Cake baking, Hair styling & barbing amongst several others are high in demand than some of this courses that are relevant but low in demand.

by the way im a Biochemist by training but no longer in the field (doing something else now ) . and i wouldn't want to say i regretted studying it . However , i wished i studied other in-demand courses .
You speak of number of dentist /dental surgeons employed in a hospital.... Have u ever sit back and ask ur self how many students gain admission to study BDS in a year? Have u ever asked ur self how many BDS Students end up graduating from school every year across the country??....

Have u ever asked ur self why you would never see an unemployed dentist/dental surgeon??
It’s simple Economics bro, "the lower the supply, the higher the demand"
Let's be informed....

1 Like

Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Maid007: 7:55pm On Oct 03, 2019
bigpicture001:

Still highly irrelevant bro..dentistry
U think they spend a rigorous 6 to 7 yrs with sleepless nights, jst to study an "irrelevant" course right?? Keep deceiving ur self....I am a type of person that believes that there is always a reason for everything....
And i always say this "do ur research"
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2019
Maid007:

U think they spend a rigorous 6 to 7 yrs with sleepless nights, jst to study an "irrelevant" course right?? Keep deceiving ur self....I am a type of person that believes that there is always a reason for everything....
And i always say this "do ur research"

The course itself is not irrelevant..its wot is relevance goes by what one's society demands. in.Nigeria...as much as 70% of detist patients visit the govt clinics..hence making it a very non lucrative med. sub course of study

China intends to relocate its embassy to anambra state from lagos...you think they dont know what dey are doing..?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Gireiboy(m): 1:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
bigpicture001:

I understand your saying this from the theoretical view...but com to reality..hw may economics graduates are gainfully employed..?

Dnt look at soludo nd the bunch of them..
Economist are suppose to b the backbone of planning in a firm..but most firms are managed in that regard by the enterprenure...lest, many of them end up roaming aimlessly..

Talk about the MLT..mind you its not same as med lab science...with that cert..u cant practice clinical lab issues...the MLS ppl formed association nd made it mandatory through diffrent minitries of health to inspect lab against. Unqualified as the call it to practice their courses...

Yes dat does not stop an MLT graduate from setting up thier own lab...but the p with that also is the same reason we all dont hv own biz....finance

Now lets discuss...
Dude! It's SLT not MLT no the difference please, how can someone in his/her right mind say MLT course is useless.
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by bigpicture001: 4:54pm On Jul 10, 2021
Gireiboy:

Dude! It's SLT not MLT no the difference please, how can someone in his/her right mind say MLT course is useless.

Dude u can forgive me I didnt attend a politechnic like you...I went to a university...
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by badboyTee(m): 5:19pm On Jul 10, 2021
so a hairy balled man can type this shit oh God! come let adore you
why is biotech a bad course idiot?
Re: Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant by Gireiboy(m): 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2021
bigpicture001:

Dude u can forgive me I didnt attend a politechnic like you...I went to a university...
Haha! funny! i graduated from a technology based University, MAUTECH, Yola to be precise, there we called it Science Laboratory Technology.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Print Photocard (nov Gce '07)? / He Died Because He Snapped This Photo / UNIZIK Postgraduate Studies Service Charges & School Fees For New Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.