Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co (29219 Views)

EFCC Arrests Suspected Internet Fraudster In Port Harcourt With Charms (photos) / Whose Client Is This?? Nigerians Really Making A Name Out There. / Notorious Female Fraudster Arrested In Ghana After 9 Months On The Run (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by AnonPoet: 5:37pm On Sep 25, 2019
Justice Christopher Balogun of the State High Court at the Tafawa Balewa Square, TBS, Onikan, Lagos, on Wednesday, remanded Abubakar Peters, Chairman, Nadabo Energy Limited, in prison for plotting to evade trial and abscond from the country.

Mr Peters is standing trial on a 27-count charge bordering on obtaining by false pretence, forgery and use of forged documents to the tune of N978 million (N978, 401, 732, 09) brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

The defendant allegedly defrauded the federal government of the said sum of money by supplying 6, 505,140. 04 litres of Petroleum Motor Spirit, PMS, instead of 19,488, 992 litres, being the quantity he was contracted to supply.

The defendant also allegedly forged the documents that were used to procure the product in order to conceal the exact amount he paid for it and receive in excess money for the product supplied.

At the resumed sitting today, the defence counsel, Emefo Etudo, sought to withdraw from the case on the grounds that his client was planning to jeopardize the case and abscond from the country.

Mr Etudo, in a sworn affidavit, also told the court he urged his client to pay back the money upon realizing that he had defrauded the federal government.

“My Lord, he agreed to pay the money and subsequently made some payments.

“He, however, stopped at some point.

“He also informed me of his plans to abscond from the country without paying back in full the money he obtained under false pretence,” Mr Etudo stated.

The defence counsel, in his further submission, told the court that his client was planning to frustrate a similar case after receiving money from parties involved.

“My Lord, my client forged his signature on the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, documents and gave damaging false information about me and other lawyers involved in the case.

“He is involved in three oil subsidy cases, although the EFCC is only aware of two of them.

“The total money belonging to the Federal Government of Nigeria, which was siphoned abroad, is about N2billion,” he further told the court.

The defence counsel, therefore, urged the court to permit him to withdraw from the case, saying “the defendant is a threat to national security and will abscond if he continues on the bail he was granted by the court.”

The prosecution counsel, S.K. Atteh, did not oppose the prayers of the defence counsel.

Justice Balogun granted the defence counsel leave to withdraw from the case based on the serious allegations levelled against his client.

The judge also vacated all the undertakings made on behalf of the defendant by the counsel’s law firm since he could no longer assure the court that he is in a position to produce the defendant at his trial.

Consequently, Justice Balogun remanded the defendant in prison custody and adjourned the case to October 15, 2019, for the continuation of hearing.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/354402-my-billionaire-client-is-fraudster-threat-to-national-security-lawyer-tells-court.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by SLAP44: 5:38pm On Sep 25, 2019
Maybe the client has refused to pay, or the accusers paid more.

Fear lawyers.

25 Likes

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Sonfethopia: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
I no go even read self i just come book space wish ona happy independence in ADDY.

3 Likes

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Miracle4Sure: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
The defendant allegedly defrauded the federal government of the said sum of money by supplying 6, 505,140. 04 litres of Petroleum Motor Spirit, PMS, instead of 19,488, 992 litres, being the quantity he was contracted to supply.

That's the main thing...then there is the forgery.

Plus there is a solution to this issue....remove fuel subsidy. That dries up the money for people like Abubakar Peters...and forces them to work for their money.

In fairness to the evil crook....he is importing fuel at a loss under the subsidy regime. Landing costs is N200 and above, then he has to sell the fuel to marketers at below N145....and all government pays him is the difference. So he scams government by making subsidy claims for fuel not imported...and then makes a profit.

Some guys import fuel, then smuggle it to countries like Benin and Niger Republic where they sell fuel at above N300...and make their profit that way.

Remove fuel subsidy...sure we would be paying crooks like these high money for improting fuel. But the foreign and local investment that would flow in to build new refienreis, and new support strutrctures will soon bring increased production, reduced prices, and put people like Mr Peters in the positon of either adapting or getting out of buisness since there is no subsidy money to claim again.

18 Likes

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by lilfreezy: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
I hate fraudsters. Haven said that, you never snitch on a client in the open, it makes you a terrible lawyer. And no criminal will wanna hire you. All criminals all over the world have lawyers but you don't see them snitching in court. If you have to snitch, do it on a low low. Now the client might just place a bounty on him.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Obasalemu: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
;Dlol, barr are ago arikuyeri
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Bbbwings: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2019
Lawyer from hell. grin
I'm surprised he has his head screwed right.
But Las Las
He will not spend more than 2years in prison if at all he is even convicted.

11 Likes

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Firstorderwizard(m): 5:47pm On Sep 25, 2019
grin

Musa finally resigns after reading this

1 Like

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by maysimsimple(m): 5:47pm On Sep 25, 2019
Chai... See uppercut

1 Like

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by JoffreyBeroth(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
Nigeria is in grave danger undecided
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Dsourcee(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
See live.Criminal vs Thief
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Sukueponmalu: 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
Ha
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Xisnin(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
Something fishy is seriously going on.
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by 15ssDRIVE(m): 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2019
You mouth shall either set your free or lock you up.
Only defense team can say exactly what happened. But explaining your ex clients secret, can scare away prospective clients.

Your job is all about
See no evil
Talk no evil
Hear no evil

3 Likes

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by carzola(m): 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2019
Is this one a trained lawyer

what rubbish??

oga u where tif money, after u hicked the price u still went ahead to supply less than the quantity payed for?u desevered to
be stoned to death..
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by daddytime(m): 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2019
Sharing formula don cause katakata for these ones...

If na me be the Judge or DSS boss, I go say you must finish wet in you start by defending this client and if he should be found guilty, na two of una go collect the koboko.

Lawyer-Client right murdered by a tenancy agreement lawyer..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Kosoco(m): 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2019
Integrity
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Gideoniteprime4: 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2019
Xisnin:
Something fishy is seriously going on.
hahaha
this one don pass fish matter o
this na something ratty!! grin grin grin
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by saraki2019(m): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2019
Nice
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by deolumike(m): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2019
That escalated quickly.

See my signature and send an email today.
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2019
Gideonitesavageprime4:

hahaha
this one don pass fish matter o
this na something ratty!! grin grin grin
I give up
Oga boa teach me how to write emojies

Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by careytommy37(m): 5:54pm On Sep 25, 2019
grin grin
Village People o
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by RiyadhGoddess(f): 5:55pm On Sep 25, 2019
Hian.
Read my signature
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by loadedvibes: 5:56pm On Sep 25, 2019
Foolish lawyer
Re: My Billionaire Client Is Fraudster, Threat To National Security, Lawyer Tells Co by SolarHub(m): 5:56pm On Sep 25, 2019
Hmmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boy Beats His Father To Death In Ebonyi Over Food / ISWAP Procures Military Uniforms From Libya Ahead Of December Attacks / I’m Now A Political Thug! I'm No Longer A Robber: Suspect [Pictured]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.