Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,038 members, 7,799,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name (1123 Views)

How Do I Change My Website Domain Name / Website/domain For Sale / Get Custom Emails For Your Website, Domain And Blog For Just ₦50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 7:17pm On Sep 25, 2019
Hello Webmasters

I want to change my domain name but still retain all the contents and files on my WebHost. Like how Naij.com changed to legit.ng

Please how do I do this
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by chinavs9ja(m): 7:31pm On Sep 25, 2019
izzyboi:
Hello Webmasters

I want to change my domain name but still retain all the contents and files on my WebHost. Like how Naij.com changed to legit.ng

Please how do I do this
The only thing you can do is to buy a new domain with your new domain choice. Then you will now point to or redirect it to your WebHost having your blog

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 10:36pm On Sep 25, 2019
chinavs9ja:

The only thing you can do is to buy a new domain with your new domain choice. Then you will now point to or redirect it to your WebHost having your blog

Thanks, I know I have to buy another domain, redirecting it is the koko
How do I do that?
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by skyhighweb(m): 11:07pm On Sep 25, 2019
izzyboi:

How do I do that?
purchase d domain on d webhost and tell them to point the content on ur old domain to d new one
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 11:16pm On Sep 25, 2019
skyhighweb:
purchase d domain on d webhost and tell them to point the content on ur old domain to d new one

Seems easy. Thanks, I'll try that
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by DESTROTECH(m): 5:13am On Sep 26, 2019
izzyboi:

How do I do that?

Copy you hosting nameserver then link it with your domain name
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by polimaf(m): 6:47am On Sep 26, 2019
izzyboi:

Seems easy. Thanks, I'll try that
Yes very easy. As long as you're using a very reliable hosting company.. I changed mine last year and it didn't take long at all
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by chinavs9ja(m): 6:58am On Sep 26, 2019
izzyboi:

How do I do that?
You will point to your web hosting using DNS records such as IP address, name servers, or A records...et.c most especially it is better to use name servers such as ns1.webhosting.com and ns2.webhosting.com this can be done in your domain panel. Then go to you hosting cpanel to add the domain as addon pointing to the folder where your blog files are.
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 7:32am On Sep 26, 2019
polimaf:
Yes very easy. As long as you're using a very reliable hosting company.. I changed mine last year and it didn't take long at all

I'll see if I can buy the domain with them and let's hope they are reliable. Thank you.
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 7:36am On Sep 26, 2019
chinavs9ja:

You will point to your web hosting using DNS records such as IP address, name servers, or A records...et.c most especially it is better to use name servers such as ns1.webhosting.com and ns2.webhosting.com this can be done in your domain panel. Then go to you hosting cpanel to add the domain as addon pointing to the folder where your blog files are.

Thanks a lot but what if the web host plan supports only one domain

1. Is it safe to remove the existing domain from addon domains and add another one without loss of content and files.
2. Or can I still use an addon with it

After adding the new domain, how do I redirect the old one to it?

Thank you
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 7:37am On Sep 26, 2019
DESTROTECH:

Copy you hosting nameserver then link it with your domain name

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
chinavs9ja:

And the website will work perfectly like nothing changed?
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 1:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
please webmasters, can you shed more light on this
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 30, 2019
My question now is will replacing the old domain with the new one in add-on domain (but still using the old domain root) work perfectly?
Re: How Do I Change My Website's Domain Name by izzyboi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 30, 2019
My question now is will replacing the old domain with the new one in add-on domain (but still using the old domain root) work perfectly?

PS. It's not a wordpress site

(1) (Reply)

I Will Pay 110k For An Old Payment Received Nigerian Adsense Plus Website / How To Upload Files Using Ftp Need Help / Best Naija Webhost With Php Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.