Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED (7463 Views)

Kantix Classic Bread Distribution / Affiliate Marketing: An Untapped Goldmine!! / 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 3:58pm On Jul 18, 2021
BlessedU:

Thanks for sharing this insightful write-up. But I have few questions based on the response I'm getting from the market now.

1. on distributorship, how can one adopt this strategy in Ikorodu? Because a lot of retailers already have bakers that supply them daily (abokis, people frying cake beans, and food sellers, and mini-supermarket).

2. Some of the retailers already have discounts from the bakers. So what is the best strategy to penetrate the market now as a distributor?

3. I see potential in distributorship based on your explanation on naira land(already have a plan of selling 1000pcs per day)but after discussing with few retailers it seems a bit difficult to implement in reality considering the profit margin.

Is this strategy still applicable at present it seems many people are already using it?

I look forward to seeing your response.

My responses are as follows;

Response to question 1.

As in many other distribution businesses, you are most definitely not going to be a pioneer. Ikorodu is already a very popular city within Lagos with an ever swelling population. This translates to an actual serious demand for bread and other food products in a very high scale. Summarily I can make bold to tell you that your incursion into bread sales either as a distributor or as a retailer…..if done well will ;pay off significantly over time.

You must however note that different variables will impact on the speed of your growth including but not limited to;

1. Preferred product brand,

2. Pricing (appropriate and competitive pricing),

3. Promotion (location, adverts, strategy)

And of course

4. People (target market).

I know there are several good brands that are currently not available in Ikorodu at the moment. I conducted a sales survey for a new bakery in March this year and I can tell you that the entire area at the moment is pretty much underserved. I mean every word of that statement.

Do not be afraid of the competition you will face. Just focus on carving a niche for yourself. Take baby steps and grow your customer base gradually. Never be in a hurry but be consistent in your supplies. Looking back at the end of one year you wil be surprised at what you would have accomplished within that time span.

I wish this advice was requested earlier as the coming Ileya holidays would have given you some boost as there is likely to be a drop in supply from the major bakeries.

Finally, the market is big enough for everyone including new entrants like yourself.
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 4:18pm On Jul 18, 2021
BlessedU:

Thanks for sharing this insightful write-up. But I have few questions based on the response I'm getting from the market now.

1. on distributorship, how can one adopt this strategy in Ikorodu? Because a lot of retailers already have bakers that supply them daily (abokis, people frying cake beans, and food sellers, and mini-supermarket).

2. Some of the retailers already have discounts from the bakers. So what is the best strategy to penetrate the market now as a distributor?

3. I see potential in distributorship based on your explanation on naira land(already have a plan of selling 1000pcs per day)but after discussing with few retailers it seems a bit difficult to implement in reality considering the profit margin.

Is this strategy still applicable at present it seems many people are already using it?

Response to Question 2

There is no 'one strategy fits all' approach. You can design one strategy or you could use a combo.

I will however share one strategy with you. I would start with identifying a premium bread brand and introducing it in that neighbourhood. Truth be told, Ikorodu like most other Lagos neighborhoods bearing a lot of residential load has a lot of neighbourhood bakeries with most of them struggling so hard to compete that variety and quality has been thrown out of the window. They now just now mix dough that fills the stomach without recourse to the variables of taste and texture. My goal would then be to service that segment the society that pays a premium to get higher quality bread. you will be amazed that people take bread from Ilupeju and distribute at Iyan Oba in Alimosho local government area while some people load thousands of loaves from Iba and sell in Awoyaya twice weekly.

Another option would be to service the lower cadre segment of the society who have a limited budget. This involves a lot of volume with very little margin per unit but with volumes that more than make up for the small margins. A case in point here is a particular bread brand that has a 100.00 (now 120.00) product that sells like crazy. That product is everywhere; V.I, Obalende, Ikeja, Agege, but I didnt see it in Ikorodu. Another very serious product is made i Ibadan and ships nationwide. Its inarguably the king of the market.
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2021
BlessedU:

Response to Question 3

One Thousand Loaves Daily?

Difficult?..........yes but only at the very beginning!

I know quite a number of people who do over 1000 loaves per day.

I will however put this in proper perspective;

What size of bread are you referring to?
What price segment? What target market? What are your logistics modalities?
What is the level of brand acceptance in the market place? How long have you been in the business?

If you have a car and a good product (in all ramifications) you should be able to hit that target within 3 months.
As a distributor, this would net you at least 50k gross profit and at least 25 - 40k net profit depending on certain variables.
many bread distributors don't work at the distribution everyday but limit it to just three to four days a week. At the beginning it is a different ball game...you work every day and long long hours too as you are building a market base. Eventually your grind reduces as you then concentrate on deliveries only.

So, your size of market, the support system (staffing and vehicles) you have is what determines how fast you grow in this business.

I know a certain lady who started some time last year pre Covid 19 lock down. She drives a Honda Pilot and distributes for an old brand name located on Oregun road and she currently does 100k net profit (and this has been her minimum in the last one month) per week. Beautiful thing is that she is done with her sales by 2.00pm. She is easy to spot...with her 7 month baby reclining in a child seat while she makes her money.

1000 loaves and beyond is very possible. Are you prepared to pay the price upfront?
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by BlessedU: 3:34am On Jul 19, 2021
ONNYX:

Response to Question 2

There is no 'one strategy fits all' approach. You can design one strategy or you could use a combo.

I will however share one strategy with you. I would start with identifying a premium bread brand and introducing it in that neighborhood. Truth be told, Ikorodu like most other Lagos neighborhoods bearing a lot of residential load has a lot of neighbourhood bakeries with most of them struggling so hard to compete that variety and quality has been thrown out of the window. They now just now mix dough that fills the stomach without recourse to the variables of taste and texture. My goal would then be to service that segment the society that pays a premium to get higher quality bread. you will be amazed that people take bread from Ilupeju and distribute at Iyan Oba in Alimosho local government area while some people load thousands of loaves from Iba and sell in Awoyaya twice weekly.

Another option would be to service the lower cadre segment of the society who have a limited budget. This involves a lot of volume with very little margin per unit but with volumes that more than make up for the small margins. A case in point here is a particular bread brand that has a 100.00 (now 120.00) product that sells like crazy. That product is everywhere; V.I, Obalende, Ikeja, Agege, but I didnt see it in Ikorodu. Another very serious product is made i Ibadan and ships nationwide. Its inarguably the king of the market.

Thanks for your response, I agree with your view, sir. I have visited a few brands around, bought their loaves of bread but I didn't like the taste. Can you recommend any good brand I can start with here?
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by connkg(m): 9:17am On Aug 11, 2021
@BlessedU
I suggest you reach out to him privately for his opinion of a good brand. You see, I spent time just thinking of a loaf (made in Ibadan) that gets to my side of Port Harcourt. I couldn't think of any.

1 Like

Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by Sirpc(m): 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2021
kiss
ONNYX:

So in considering to start small, we will have to define small in the context it is used here in this essay.

Small is quite a relative term, however for the purposes of commencement I will suggest that anybody who has between 20,000 and 200,000 as initial capital outlay will find these guidelines useful.

To even make it better, we will adopt a very gradual investment model that will enable you determine the viability of the business before committing to a major inflow as regards the business.

This approach which could be seen as only suitable for risk averse people is very adequate for new entrants into business. I personally adopt it for any investment that I wish to make. I refer to it as toe testing; a process that involves my testing the temperature friendliness of the water before taking a plunge.

The underlying implication here is that when money is involved, you have to thread a little careful and ensure that your initial investment capital is quite small in relation to your entire arsenal of saved funds.

Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by barikay: 10:39am On Jun 15, 2022
Hi
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 5:38pm On Jun 26, 2022
barikay:
Hi

Hi
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 9:48am On Oct 17, 2023
connkg:
@BlessedU
I suggest you reach out to him privately for his opinion of a good brand. You see, I spent time just thinking of a loaf (made in Ibadan) that gets to my side of Port Harcourt. I couldn't think of any.

Look out for Yale bread. Made in Ibadan but sold all over Nigeria and beyond. It's a truly remarkable fast moving product.
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 9:49am On Oct 17, 2023
BlessedU:

Thanks for your response, I agree with your view, sir. I have visited a few brands around, bought their loaves of bread but I didn't like the taste. Can you recommend any good brand I can start with here?

How has your experience been?
Re: BREAD DISTRIBUTION - A QUIET, UNTAPPED GOLDMINE; THE MYTHS & THE FACTS UNVEILED by ONNYX: 9:51am On Oct 17, 2023
I had cause to revisit this thread today and was hoping that one or two people may have benefitted from this write-up.

Things have changed considerably.

The Bread Seller is now king while the baker has become his slave.

Good luck to all of you in the bread hustle.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg Plans To Sell Petrol At N140 Per Litre – Nlc / CBN To Go Tough On CIBN Membership / Where To Buy Bitcoin In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.