Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,914 members, 7,799,083 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? (3942 Views)

Native British English Or US English Speakers Needed / If You A Nigerian That Want To Speak British English Quick, Watch This Video. / Standard British English Accent ( ABUJA, LAGOS, PH,SOUTH EAST,e.t.c) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 8:50am On Sep 27, 2019
I mean we were colonized by the British colonial masters who taught us English as well, and if there is anything i'm aware of its that the colonized country usually adopts the language and speaking pattern of their colonial masters like Senegal, Ivory Coast et al.

The English we speak here in Nigeria is very banal and unrefined, would've been nice if we at least adopted England's Queens English.

Lalasticlala Dominique mynd44

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
I mean we were colonized by the British colonial masters who taught us English as well, and if there is anything i'm aware of its that the colonized country usually adopts the language and speaking pattern of their colonial masters like Senegal, Ivory Coast et al.

The English we speak here in Nigeria is very banal and unrefined, would've been nice if we at least adopted England's Queens English.

Why do the Welsh and Irish not speak British English?

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Kingdollar28(m): 8:55am On Sep 27, 2019
Have you came across the word "mother tongue" ?

Have you heard a German speaking English?

Or Romania speak English?

How does there intonation sounds?

Or does it mean that they aren't Europe??

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by javaguru: 9:04am On Sep 27, 2019
Because we are creative.. Besides US don't speak british english

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Tobinrobin(m): 9:07am On Sep 27, 2019
The least of our problems now Abeg. grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by drips8(m): 9:09am On Sep 27, 2019
Every former British colony speaks English differently.

The Nigerians, Americans, Indians and Jamaicans have their own form of the English language.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Starz825(m): 9:34am On Sep 27, 2019
javaguru:
Abi na....and na Britain colonize them
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Tolexander: 9:36am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:

And why don’t the Australians, Canadians, Indians, South Africans et al who were formally part of the dominion and commonwealth of United Kingdom speak the British accent.

US 13 colonies, now states, why don’t they speak the British accent?

They are up to you to reason

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by deor03(m): 9:40am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:

Have you heard people from Liverpool ,Scotland , Wale speak english before

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by vickyhow(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2019
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 27, 2019
Have you heard Harry Kane speaking??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2019
Smartchoiice:
okay they don't, but check out their quality of spoken English, its so pure...unlike what we have here in Nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2019
javaguru:
but their Spoken English is way ahead of ours in terms of sophistication...why can't we at least speak like the Americans even though we dont add the queens accent
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by joshjc(m): 10:55am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
okay they don't, but check out their quality of spoken English, its so pure...unlike what we have here in Nigeria
that's because English is not our own language we have our mother tongue, the reseaon an English Man speaks English well it's because that's is native language,

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 11:14am On Sep 27, 2019
joshjc:
that's because English is not our own language we have our mother tongue, the reseaon an English Man speaks English well it's because that's is native language,
i see
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Londonboyrep(m): 11:15am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
You don't know you you are saying mate. Nigerian spoken english is far clearer than what is spoken by the Scots,Welsh or Irish. A white man from London, for example, would understand a Nigerian from Lagos' english better than a Scotsman's.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
Says who? Nothing like British English
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 27, 2019
If you'd just said British English I'd not mind but British queen's English Nah!!

I don't wanna shatter my teeth tryin to say how are you or don't you know that how are you in Queens English is how art thou..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by BathingSoap: 11:34am On Sep 27, 2019
I think that pattern of English is too advanced for us to assimilate and speak
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by damtan(m): 11:38am On Sep 27, 2019
I never master my naija way of speaking English finish not to talk of speaking English the English way sad

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by eneez(m): 11:55am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:

Why are you trying so hard to impose your low self esteem on all Nigerians?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by sunnedee2: 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2019
Smartchoiice:
Best answer!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Ajibade123(m): 12:15pm On Sep 27, 2019
eneez:

leave him o even the Indians self do not have the same accent as the English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Sofistcatdmoron: 1:09pm On Sep 27, 2019
we speak nigerian English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Lamasta(m): 1:14pm On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:

How do you expect Nigerians to speak British English when it is not British that gave birth to us? The English we are currently speaking is borrowed and our original language that unite us as a nation is "Broken English" with this you can communicate with everybody be it Yoruba, hausa or fulani.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2019
eneez:

low self esteem you say?

Oga i'm not imposing anything on anyone, for you to think like this shows that you see the truth in what i'm saying.. isn't it absurd that you were taught English by the best speakers in the world yet our spoken English sounds so crude and banal...its ironical isn't it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by SunriseW(f): 1:22pm On Sep 27, 2019
What you called banal and unrefined is what some people love.
Nobody is stopping anyone from speaking the way he likes.
You haven't seen others appreciate the Nigerian English.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2019
Lamasta:

How do you expect Nigerians to speak British English when it is not British that gave birth to us? The English we are currently speaking is borrowed and our original language that unite us as a nation is "Broken English" with this you can communicate with everybody be it Yoruba, hausa or fulani.
why does ivory coast speak French when it was not the french men that gave birth to them?

Think about that
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Lamasta(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
why does ivory coast speak French when it was not the french men that gave birth to them?

Think about that

Don't compare that country with Nigeria cos Nigeria is not one country but different entity amalgamated by Lugard so you don't expect them to speak one common language....

Even the English we learn in school we still dey goof when speaking it compare to a British born child who speaks fluently without going to school to learn it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by LajaLaba: 1:34pm On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:

Think about that
Lol u are a bit thick grin i bet this clown don't understand the word accent chai!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB: THE Best And Poorest Result So Fat / 10 Of The Most Intelligent Animals On Earth / Finally Jamb Results Are Out, Check Yours Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.