Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,813 members, 7,862,692 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:47 PM

UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage (14133 Views)

IPOB Declares Buhari Missing In Japan, Presidency Reacts / I Saw Buhari Missing During The Swearing-in / Buhari Missing As Trump Meets Bukola Saraki For US Africa Strategy Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Deepthoughts: 9:21am On Sep 28, 2019
dorothybella:
Aisha, the wife of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, was conspicuously absent as Africa’s First Ladies, led by Sierra Leone’s Fatima Maada Bio, brought their campaign to ban early child marriage and sexual violence against women and girls before the UN General Assembly.

The First Ladies, including Jeanette Kagame (Rwanda), Clar Weah (Liberia), Antoinette Sassou Nguesso (Democratic Republic of Congo) and Auxilla Mnangagwa (Zimbabwe), continued their passionate appeal for the world to support their “Hands Off Our Girls! Campaign.

Nigeria is one of the countries with an alarming rate of challenges women and the girl child face.

Mrs. Aisha has not attended public functions in recent weeks but she’s usually represented by her Senior Special Assistant on Administration, Dr Hajo Sani.
Why the president’s wife did not attend the UNGA event said “she was represented”.

According to Girls Not Brides, a global partnership of more than 1300 civil society organisations working towards ending child marriage and enabling girls to fulfill their potential, 44% of girls in Nigeria are married before their 18th birthday and 18% are married before the age of 15.

It quoted a UNICEF report that “Nigeria has the third highest absolute number of child brides in the world – 3,538,000 – and the 11th highest prevalence rate of child marriage globally.

“Child marriage is most common in the North West and North East of Nigeria, where 68% and 57% of women aged 20-49 were married before their 18th birthday. Child marriage is particularly common among Nigeria’s poorest, rural households and the Hausa ethnic group.

“A 2017 World Bank study estimates that child marriage costs Nigeria USD7.6 billion in lost earnings and productivity every year.

“Child marriage is driven by gender inequality and the belief that girls are somehow inferior to boys. In Nigeria, child marriage is also driven by level of education.

“73% of Nigerian women with no formal education were married before 18, compared to only 9% who had completed higher education. Further education is almost impossible for some girls, who have little choice but to depend on their husbands for the rest of their lives.”

At the sidelines of the UNGA, Bio flanked by her husband President Julius Bio, spoke to “lift the lid of silence” taboo and stigma surrounding rape and early marriage in Sierra Leone and other parts of the continent.
Aided by an older sister, she took a flight out of her native Sierra Leone to the United Kingdom – without her father’s knowledge or permission. “I come from a family where girls are married at 12 years,” she recalled.

President Bio, responding to a question on how deeply set cultural mindsets could be changed, said it would take patience and persistence. “We have to leave some aspects of culture behind. We have to establish institutions and cascade our campaigns down across the entire country.”

Speaking, Clar Weah stressed that it was time to collectively say no to abuse. “We renew our commitment to create a safe world for our girls in Africa. We entreat all presidents and heads of states to join us,” she appealed.

Ermine Erdogan, First Lady of Turkey, who made a special appearance to support the event, said the key to the empowerment of women was education.

“There is no excuse for early marriage. The place for a school-going child is school,” she declared.

In his remarks, African Development Bank (ADB) President, Akinwumi Adesina, spoke out against all forms of early marriage and said the economic empowerment of women is a critical tool to end the vicious cycle of marginalization and gender imbalance.

“That’s why the Bank is raising $3 billion to support women,” Adesina said, referring to the Bank’s Affirmative Finance Action for Women In Africa (AFAWA) initiative.

“Early marriage is not only a human rights abuse it is an economic issue,” Rachel Yates, Executive Director of Girls Not Brides, said.

Other voices in support of the First Ladies included Djereje Wordofa, UNFA Deputy Executive Director, who said protection of girls and women and preventing abuse must become a national priority.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organisation, disclosed that it was a subject he dreaded but had to talk about. “Child marriage reinforces poverty. It is totally unacceptable. We must speak out against political, religious and social practices,” he said.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/09/27/unga-aisha-buhari-missing-african-first-ladies-protest-rape-early-child-marriage/amp/
It's like the cabal has finally tamed n cage this woman,Aisha must really be regretting now, it's no doubt she loved opulence n influence but that's up in the air now,she just have to stick to her duties in za oza room!.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by EkwensuAmosu: 9:24am On Sep 28, 2019
when she's a product of child rape

1 Like

Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by EkwensuAmosu: 9:25am On Sep 28, 2019
[s]
ola33t:
grin cheesy What would you have expected when she herself was a victim of the issue on ground.

Do you expect her to go there and start calling her husband a child abuser or what?
[/s]seems our opinion is similar cheesy

but i have to strike
it's my job
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Godsonjoe: 9:32am On Sep 28, 2019
Number 1: She's product of child's marriage
Number 2: She's the product of child's molestation at the age of 9 by buhari
Number 3: Her husband died long time ago
Summary: Even if she forget the incident in number (1&2), She Will not forget number 3, coz her husband died long time ago, using an imposter as his husband keep bringing the memories of late husband, and she will always be in pains. We are all human, make we check na

1 Like

Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 28, 2019
SLAP44:
This woman has been avoiding her husband for a long time now. She Is obviously not happy about Something.

The truth will surface at the end - Jim Nwobodo , 1984.
or she was married off at a child's age. Just saying
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by ODB2: 9:39am On Sep 28, 2019
How do you expect a child bride to complain about child marriage ?
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by aspiring44: 9:39am On Sep 28, 2019
She is definitely a victim of early marriage too.

What differentiate north from south is long pole and that is education. The early marriage brings forth certain elemental destruction to their women which is VVF - vagina vesico fistula.
There is a zero case in the south .
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Duggedised12(f): 9:41am On Sep 28, 2019
Child marriage is legal in the north.The northerners might call it blashpemy if she goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by hardeytarhyour(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2019
Ngwamankillyou:
Just like her husband, she can't understand correct English.
You Mean Ph.D Holder like Aisha Muhammad Buhari can't understand Common English...
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Awoleesu(m): 9:48am On Sep 28, 2019
I have observed that contrary to the widely held view that Islam as a religion supports 'equality of humanity', in practice we have continued to see Muslims exhibit class stratification in all endeavors...

The so called "hardline" Muslims, who are mostly at the first rung of the economic ladder, strictly observe certain 'Islamic dictates' such as:

*A girl must be married out of her father's house before her first menstrual experience...

* A married woman shouldn't adopt her husband's family name, but retain her own dad's name...

* A woman has no religion save the religion of her husband...

But captured in the OP report, can be observed a clear departure from these 'Islamic dictates' by Muslims who have attained the apex rung of economic ladder, plus power! Thus;

*A Mrs. Erdogan, and another Mrs. Buhari flaunt their husbands' family names while nothing is known of their dads' names.

* A Mrs. Bio practices a religion other than her husband's...

* And, here we are! Even the Turkish first lady (the spouse of a self proclaimed "father of 21st century Islam) openly opposing one of the 'Islamic dictates'!

Did someone not say religion na scam?
... I'm tempted to believe so for once!
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by wisdom042(m): 9:49am On Sep 28, 2019
The woman must have been a victim of early marriage
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 28, 2019
She is pregnant.
I need to pooooo…………….
excuse me
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by DonKalidon(m): 9:49am On Sep 28, 2019
permit:
Since there's no longer law in this country people should start resisting any arrest from military to the police � #freesoworenow

Be careful how you react because when you resist and they carry you, no body here or even your physical friends will come and stand for you. Live your life jeje and peacefully.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Princeton92(m): 9:55am On Sep 28, 2019
Like her husband said N still says....

"Her place is in the kitchen as she belongs there"
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Princeton92(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2019
Barrytone:
She is pregnant.
I need to pooooo…………….
excuse me

Lol, is she?
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Ngwamankillyou(m): 10:00am On Sep 28, 2019
hardeytarhyour:

You Mean Ph.D Holder like Aisha Muhammad Buhari can't understand Common English...

PhD. Yes in sexiology.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by BRASH: 10:14am On Sep 28, 2019
That's becos the lifeless one married her as a child and she loved it. You can't protest against what u are in support of.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 28, 2019
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by ITbomb(m): 10:28am On Sep 28, 2019
ola33t:
grin cheesy What would you have expected when she herself was a victim of the issue on ground.

Do you expect her to go there and start calling her husband a child abuser or what?
Victim? She is a proud beneficiary of child marriage
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Legendguy(m): 10:31am On Sep 28, 2019
Why won't she be absent wen she was married early
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 28, 2019
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by LordPsalm(m): 11:01am On Sep 28, 2019
The protest is against her religious belief.
U don't expect her to show up
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by EkwensuAmosu: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2019
ola33t:
[s]

My boy, you must meet your daily target grin grin.

Keep striking. You have all the time in the world to do that.
[/s]
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by EkwensuAmosu: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2019
[s]
ola33t:

Beneficial or not. That doesn't mean she would feel convenient in a discussion that is against it.

So what do you expect her to go there and say, to say it's good or bad?
[/s]
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by tartar9(m): 11:06am On Sep 28, 2019
Awoleesu:
I have observed that contrary to the widely held view that Islam as a religion supports 'equality of humanity', in practice we have continued to see Muslims exhibit class stratification in all endeavors...

The so called "hardline" Muslims, who are mostly at the first wrung of the economic ladder, strictly observe certain 'Islamic dictates' such as:

*A girl must be married out of her father's house before her first menstrual experience...

* A married woman shouldn't adopt her husband's family name, but retain her own dad's name...

* A woman has no religion save the religion of her husband...

But captured in the OP report, can be observed a clear departure from these 'Islamic dictates' by Muslims who have attained the apex wrung of economic ladder, plus power! Thus;

*A Mrs. Erdogan, and another Mrs. Buhari flaunt their husbands' family names while nothing is known of their dads' names.

* A Mrs. Bio practices a religion other than her husband's...

* And, here we are! Even the Turkish first lady (the spouse of a self proclaimed "father of 21st century Islam) openly opposing one of the 'Islamic dictates'!

Did someone not say religion na scam?
... I'm tempted to believe so for once!
The way some people will just be confidently saying nonsense sad
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by chinedu234(m): 11:14am On Sep 28, 2019
She may still be traumatized possibly because she had the same baggage.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Briller: 11:18am On Sep 28, 2019
I respect this lady a lot cause she is just like me, standing by the truth at all times even when she is a lone voice. And of course, evil will fight back.

The cabal are fighting back. I can bet you the cabal and their wives have taken her place at UNGA.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by MikeBetty(m): 11:30am On Sep 28, 2019
Lauretta Onoche Should Declare Her MIA. She Too Rant.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by CioAngels(f): 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2019
undefeateds:
and this surprise u,how old is she too when she got married
A women publication had it as 9yr old but is now twisted 18yr, what a lie. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore now as she is the President's wife and has billions so it is nobody's headaches.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by hardeytarhyour(m): 11:51pm On Sep 28, 2019
Ngwamankillyou:

PhD. Yes in sexiology.
What of OBJ's Ph.D And Jonathan
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Ngwamankillyou(m): 7:52am On Sep 29, 2019
hardeytarhyour:

What of OBJ's Ph.D And Jonathan

Those are real.
Re: UNGA: Aisha Buhari Missing As First Ladies Protest Against Rape, Child Marriage by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 29, 2019
Talking about Aisha Buhari....

Lemme code my tot before MOD come ban me again...

When the going get though the tough get going...
Yoruba adage will say, if the arm is painful to stretch out , we will decide to place it on the head...
I know you know what I mean...do as your heart directs you

MOD and the rest , pls understand my sincere thought before you wrongly quote me o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Disagrees With Sheikh Gumi Over Amnesty For Bandits/Terrorists / Secondus Battles For Survival, As Wike Plots PDP Chairman's Removal / Anambra Governorship Election Debate On AIT On Oct 29th And 31st 2013.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.