Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,545 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:43 PM

Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees (46626 Views)

Western Democracy Not Working For Africa – Obasanjo / 2023: Don’t Direct Yoruba To Support Any Aspirant - Obasanjo Advises Ooni Of Ife / Obasanjo Advises Youths To Wrest Power From Older Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by ijustdey: 9:44pm On Sep 28, 2019
Tunji Bosun, Abeokuta

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has advised Nigerians who were evacuated from South Africa to be ready to go back to the country if a bilateral commission meeting scheduled between President Muhammadu Buhari and South African President , Cyril Ramaphosa yielded a positive outcome .

The former President also enjoined the leadership of South Africa and Nigeria to be ready to compromise and make the right statements that would encourage evacuated Nigerians to go back to South Africa.

Obasanjo said this on Saturday , at his residence within the Olusegun Obasanjo President Library , Abeokuta while speaking with journalists on the outcome of his visit to the South African President .

Nigeria has recently evacuated hundreds of Nigerians from South Africa following xenophobic attacks in the country .

Obasanjo said “ I took the opportunity of being in South Africa about three or four days ago to actually pay a courtesy call on President Cyril Ramaphosa and he quickly granted me the opportunity . One of the major things we discussed was this issue of xenophobia or ‘afrophobia .’

“ One good thing I discovered among many is what the president said to me that ‘There is so much at stake and whatever mistake we have made, we have to correct it .’ And I think that was a very good statement and I know that he meant it because , he immediately said ‘Look , what can we do or should we do ?’”

While advising the South African government , Obasanjo said, “ The idea of thinking or saying that foreigners are taking your jobs should be killed because most of these foreigners paid ( sic ) something into the country .

“ I met more than two Nigerians who are doing legitimate businesses and the turnover runs into millions of dollar and they employed 50 to 60 South Africans .

“ All these must be expressed and must be shown that Nigerians in South Africa are not drug peddlers and criminals . There are many of them that are genuine businessmen and professionals and who are making meaningful contributions to the economy and the social life of that country .

“ I think that is all we must be doing and be saying and I said my joy is that President Cyril Ramaphosa is ready to do what needs to be done to stop these incidents and to put the relationship between Nigeria and South Africa on the right track. ”

https://punchng.com/xenophobia-go-back-to-south-africa-obasanjo-advises-returnees/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by GraGra247(m): 9:53pm On Sep 28, 2019
You mean go back to South Africa and be killed

You must be out of your mind.

124 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Racoon(m): 9:56pm On Sep 28, 2019
What the Bleep? SA that have said all manner of derogatory things about Nigerians? Damn it! OBJ pls STFU!

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Tobinrobin(m): 9:58pm On Sep 28, 2019
Cyril Ramaphosa won’t be out there in the streets begging his people to stop, without his people, he won’t be the president. Now some of these same set of people are claiming other Africans are causing a lot of havoc on their homeland & are maiming, killing them. Ask yourselves which voice will he Harken to? Cries of his own people that would likely guarantee more tenure in office or some outsiders? The xenophobic attacks won’t be decided in the presidential house, it’s out there on the streets. I would never implore the returnees to ever go back. These attacks aren’t over and these people aren’t remorseful. These things don’t just go away overnight. It’s quite imperative to heed advice , stay back home , find a side hustle just to keep body and soul alive instead of going to one silly semi developed African country

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by SniperSmurf(m): 9:58pm On Sep 28, 2019
Na so. Instead of encouraging more jobs and entrepreneurs in Nigeria, OBj wants to drive Nigerians back to SA. This is part of the brain drain.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by stonemasonn: 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2019
Nigeria dumping its citizens everywhere. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by emmyid(m): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
Obasanjo, you know how embarrassing this sound? How ever diplomatic you intend sounding on this one, SHUT D F*CK UP.

Don't fall my hands. Not after I engaged some South Africans yesterday on twitter.

37 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by TheDestroyer: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
To do what exactly?This old man sef. After their properties have been destroyed. These south animals would never change. Animals will always be animals

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Lamasta(m): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
God forbid, forward ever backward never.

Going back to South Africa is like a dog going back to its vomit.

10 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
lol
Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Jmk9292(m): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
Hmm......I have seen and heard it all only in Nigeria......
Which country encourages it's citizens to move out en masse to other countries for survival.....

It shows that currently and even in the nearest future there are no plans and intentions of developing Nigeria.....

There was a country.....

Everybody is getting ready to leave....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
Old age na disease to some
This man go dey rum him mouth like person wey dem hack him vocal cords.

5 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by princeade86(m): 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
he should send his grandchildren there na.

13 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by naijadrivablog: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2019
embarassed

99.9% of African leaders failed their people.

Only Rwanda has a semblance of a leader.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by efighter: 10:03pm On Sep 28, 2019
Obasanjo is mad. Sebi him too get plenty shildren from several low life women including those him daughters wey him dey sleep with. So the old foolish man should borrow Pastor Tupac Orishejafor's private jet and pack some of his shildren wey him no fit train, carry them go throwaway for South Africa.

I dey very sure say Obasanjo's Ogboni society need blood wey dem wan drink. Useless old occultic megalomaniac incest.

11 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 28, 2019
Lol
Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by GavelSlam: 10:03pm On Sep 28, 2019
There is sense in what he said.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Ijawdefender: 10:04pm On Sep 28, 2019
Go back and return as dead body.

3 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by DaddyGngeess(m): 10:05pm On Sep 28, 2019
I said it b4 that alot of them will go back and somebody here is bashing me, oya now even our elder statesman is telling them to go back...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by CheapDataGuy: 10:05pm On Sep 28, 2019
angry
Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Abfinest007(m): 10:06pm On Sep 28, 2019
is only when he writing letters that he makes sense

4 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by JerryLegend(m): 10:06pm On Sep 28, 2019
Nah Obj wrong move! You should instead advice the government to make life more comfortable for Nigerians here.

3 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Trutherme: 10:06pm On Sep 28, 2019
undecided

Obasanjo should be advised to stay permanently in South Africa.
I wish I have the powers to revoke his citizenship because he is of no effect in Nigeria cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by SOAG(m): 10:06pm On Sep 28, 2019
I'm sorry for country called Nigeria and their outdated so called leaders

2 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Onyeakachukwu29: 10:07pm On Sep 28, 2019
OK ooo
Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by SamOyovwi: 10:08pm On Sep 28, 2019
Good one from OBJ. He is really an elder statesman

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by temielects(m): 10:08pm On Sep 28, 2019
Agba kin wa loja ki ori omotuntun wò
(Ask a Yoruba friend for translation)
Baba the pace setter

1 Like

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by AroleOduduwa2: 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2019
Some people that have never left the shore of Nigeria will be here saying God forbid, I will never live in SA, forgetting that SA is much better than most European country, it’s the most developed country in Africa. Having said this, I won’t advise the returnee to go back, they have their reasons for leaving there in first place.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by midnighter(f): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2019
It must be difficult to grow old.. he cant just enjoy his retirement...every time he must come out of the woodwork to say one thing..

Im sure he wishes he could go back to his exciting youth and young adulthood

The best worst president nigeria ever had..

Of course they will go back... when nigerians are in pakistan and cambodia why wont somebody go to south africa too

3 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by jayextra(m): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2019
grin grin The person that grinds OBJ's weed should stop adding Scent leaf biko

12 Likes

Re: Go Back To South Africa, Obasanjo Advises Returnees by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2019
Ok. Over to the returnees.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fani-kayode Pictured With His Son And Girlfriend, Precious / IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu And Others Trend On Twitter As Nigerians Express Concerns. / IPOB Sit-At-Home: No Movement In Aba, Umuahia, Ebonyi And Onitsha - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.