Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday (15596 Views)

I Will Run Govt Of Accountability, Tinubu Tells Borno APC Supporters / Kaduna Secure $6 Million Loan For Light Rail And BRT Projects / Tinubu Talking About Lagos Light Rail, BRT Lanes And PPP Models (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by ovieigho(m): 10:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
Idaraesit98:
funny enough,I dnt watch bbn,I got to know all their names and their gist here on Nairaland..i dnt know most of them facially...I dnt like the show...
smiley i'm kidding tho
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Idaraesit98(f): 10:41pm On Sep 29, 2019
Pennyways:
sweetheart don't mention
What am I useful for if I can't recognize the presence of a beautiful intellectual lady like you

Idaraesit

This name please me well well grin grin
hmmm..lol
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Idaraesit98(f): 10:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
ovieigho:
smiley i'm kidding tho
i know
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by chloride6: 10:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
Kapeter:
Businessday should go and sit down. Lagos won't be building that, they only proposing it so FG can take over it. The useless FG won't do anything too untill there are reports of stampede in parks in Lagos.

Will you shut up?

LASG cannot make details of their N800bn Annual Budget Public..

2023 is near you will see

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Saintly01(m): 10:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Each time I read about the Lagos light rail project, saying that I feel like crying is an understatement. The reason why politicians in Nigeria act they way they do, is that the people will do absolutely nothing whether they perform or not. Until we start to hold them accountable for their actions, nothing will change. So sad.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Jombom: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
dolphinife:
Very disheartening I say. I'm not exonerating Fashola and Ambode of this monumental fraud, nor am I exalting corruption, but I think the reason Lagos Rail line is much more expensive is because it passes through the water ways. I might be wrong tho

At triple the price is that of of Ethiopia ?!

SMH

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by chloride6: 10:45pm On Sep 29, 2019
dolphinife:
Very disheartening I say. I'm not exonerating Fashola and Ambode of this monumental fraud, nor am I exalting corruption, but I think the reason Lagos Rail line is much more expensive is because it passes through the water ways. I might be wrong tho

Didnt you see the portion where the project was to cost $100m according to the Chinesse Company.

The truth is that no governor is interested in pursuing the project because they cannot pad what is already overpadded by previous administrations.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 29, 2019
waiting for investors to show interest! Lol. Criminals have taken over governance in Lagos state. Ruling Lagos with Machiavelli principle . They want to use the project as conduit pipe to stash their money since they can't launder it abroad anymore. They want to own everything that is vital to the Lagos economy. Lekki- epe road, Lagos rail, eko Atlantic city, lekki- port e.t.c. Lagos can never be wrestled from these People forever. They have invested so much with the people's wealth they have stolen. Who will want to lose all that?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Validated: 11:00pm On Sep 29, 2019
praiseoski:
Who took note of the paragraph that stated that the Chinese company recorded $182million in their financial statement as cost for the project, while the Lagos State govt claimed 1.2billion...

This is not d problem of leaders, because the leaders are not foreigners, they were taken from us. This country is iredeemable.. the day Another party takes over APC in Lagos State, we'll hear the full gist
Smh

If nothing else, this is a full load for EFCC, but no. They wont read it

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by SocialJustice: 11:01pm On Sep 29, 2019
dolphinife:
Totally wrong, the real contract sum is for $180m as stated by the construction firm in their annual report. From fashola to Sanwo are all thieves. No self respect or the need to make Lagos function and boost businesses further. All they want to do is steal.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by SocialJustice: 11:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
Emceesaka:
Na wah for dis long story ooooooo ooooooo
Na why you no fit progress for life.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by ibietela2(m): 11:16pm On Sep 29, 2019
theenchanter:
u're actually right, about half of the total lenght is on swamp and aquatic bodies.

Passing on water makes it more expensive how?
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by slimfit1(m): 11:38pm On Sep 29, 2019
cooltola:
A state that generate money with nothing to show. Thank God for the private sector that provide jobs. Tinubu and his supporters must go, they have turned Lagos to an eyesore.

If you have trains the road will be very free, you can travel to work under one or half hour with enough time to sleep. The way we punish ourselves are reasons why they call us LAZY by people withholding our resources and commonwealth.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by middlebelter(m): 11:46pm On Sep 29, 2019
It is very disturbing to note that a project that should cost about $183m is being executed at $1,2b and nobody is talking about it? It is also very heartbreaking that the completion date is being dragged without the government offering any explanation.
Our hope was high with the assumption of office of Sanwo-Olu as Governor giving the reasons advanced for preventing a second term for Ambode. Today, it appears an average Lagosian will prefer to have Ambode complete a second term. There appears to be a conspiracy of silence. The bike riders(Okada) have taken over our highway/roads and the business of bone breaking has once more assume an alarming dimension because of vested interest in Alausa, pot holes have taken; over the major roads including some considered as Federal but critical to smooth movement in the city like Ikorodu Road ,Agege Motor Way to Sango Toll-gate etc, the street light are going dark , and nobody cares talking about new project when the uncompleted projects dots every corner. Now people have returned to sleeping under the bridge at least I saw one under the bridge separating Ketu-Ojota. Mr. Governor we had better expectations.

Sawolu-Olu should wake up before Lagosian come after him!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by AmazingELixir: 11:48pm On Sep 29, 2019
" By 2017, the Lagos state government changed tact and abandoned the project, coming up with a nonsensical idea of flooding the city with buses as its solution to transportation and traffic gridlock in the state. One Sunday evening, Ambode, former governor of Lagos state invited senior journalists and editors to his office to sell the new plan to them. He invited questions and by the time I asked him about the project, he not only refused to answer me, but abruptly ended the programme and some of my colleagues blamed me for ruining the event."

Op I find the bolded very hilarious...why you go spoil Ambode shine naa.. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by AmazingELixir: 11:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
dolphinife:

But you saw the point raised by Op concerning the discrepancy between what the government officials quoted the contract sum as and the one given by the Chinese construction company.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by ovieigho(m): 12:22am On Sep 30, 2019
Idaraesit98:
i know
okay thanks
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by TheAlchemist: 12:24am On Sep 30, 2019
What is the way out folks..
I would have expected Sanwo-olu to give a timeline for the completion of the light rail project.
I don't want to be hasty to come to any conclusion, let see what happens in the next 3 months.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NigeriaIsDoomed: 12:25am On Sep 30, 2019
My own be say make dem divide this country make everybody go answer him papa name.if no be for the wey dem dey run things for this country the people of Niger delta for dey live like the Emiratees or wetin dem call them.
As for Lagos, na only God go deliver Lagosians from thieves parading as rulersof them don steal the state blind.
Oneday I manage go see person for Okokomaiko, I swear to God I came went back home feeling depressed.
Bad roads, abandoned rail system, overpopulation etc. Oneday we go all give account of the position he hold.
Drug baron, Fashole, Ambole, Sanwole, God dey watch una.
As for the certificateless, demented old man wey suppose dey attend to him grand kids but him say him must rule God go handle u along side the yahoo yahoo chairman errand boy.
For u scammers claiming to be General Overseers or wetin make una dey deceive unasefs alongside una gullible members.
Na here I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by surgical: 12:28am On Sep 30, 2019
chloride6:

Will you shut up?

LASG cannot make details of their N800bn Annual Budget Public..

2023 is near you will see
what is going to happen
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tollyboy5(m): 12:40am On Sep 30, 2019
Idaraesit98:
hmmm..lol
don't let ur head swell Orobo. undecided I'm annoyed with the way you guyz just post trash on the front page without meaningful contributions from people who are really concerned and would want to air their opinion on daybreak.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by chloride6: 12:41am On Sep 30, 2019
surgical:
what is going to happen

Dont be in a hurry wait and see
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 12:47am On Sep 30, 2019
Meanwhile, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, a similar contract was awarded for a 34 kilometre and 39 station electrified light rail network in 2012. By September 2015, Addis Ababa, a city of only 4 million people, made history by becoming the first sub-Saharan city to have a light rail system.

Unlike Lagos, Ethiopia began its own construction in 2012, four years after Lagos and at the cost of $475 million but completed it on record time. However, Lagos is still battling with its $1.2 billion 27-kilometre rail system eleven years now with no completion in sight.

There are many questions begging for answers from the Lagos state government. First, why would a 27-kilometre project cost $1.2 billion when a 34-kilometres project cost only $475 million?

Nigerians and ignorant comparisons, must we always needlessly compare especially with illogical and ignorant facts.

1. Lagos is a state in Nigeria, Ethiopia is a country with sovereign wealth fund and capacity to fund or borrow.

2. There is nothing comparable with both projects, Lagos Metro Rail is a combination of Metro rail, 10 lane freeway, BRT lane, stations and overhead bridges and a Metro bridge over the Lagos Lagoon.

So how related and comparable are both projects?

The $475 billion Ethiopia spent on ordinary metro rail is probably what they spent on the Metro Bridge over Lagos Lagoon alone in Lagos

This is how these Nigerian bloggers misguide and misinform poor and ignorant news consumers in Nigeria, they read their trash, they swallow them and start acting as if they've just been fed credible info.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by novaman: 12:56am On Sep 30, 2019
Nigerian Journalist and sensational headlines for to sell Paper. This journalist was quick to make comparison with Ethiopia since we are all Africans but forgot to state that even in the same state, the same distance in different directions could cost different amounts due to the different topography of the terrain.

I took time to study the Ethiopia light rail and discovered that apart from the elevated track like the one in Lagos, there is no part of the project where they needed to construct a bridge over Lagoon and that cost quite a lot but the difference in the total contract sum could be significant.

The length of the elevated track could be an additional cost. So comparison should be eliminated in the discussion completely.

We should focus more on the reason for the delay and ask why it cost that much. The reporter should be able to cost the Chinese government and companies for more details, who know maybe the problem and delays could be from them.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 1:08am On Sep 30, 2019
novaman:
Nigerian Journalist and sensational headlines for to sell Paper. This journalist was quick to make comparison with Ethiopia since we are all Africans but forgot to state that even in the same state, the same distance in different directions could cost different amounts due to the different topography of the terrain.

I took time to study the Ethiopia light rail and discovered that apart from the elevated track like the one in Lagos, there is no part of the project where they needed to construct a bridge over Lagoon and that cost quite a lot but the difference in the total contract sum could be significant.

The length of the elevated track could be an additional cost. So comparison should be eliminated in the discussion completely.

We should focus more on the reason for the delay and ask why it cost that much. The reporter should be able to cost the Chinese government and companies for more details, who know maybe the problem and delays could be from them.

Sadly, they pull this rubbish all the time and the poor and ignorant masses with predisposed mentality to yell and shout corrupt just swallow without thinking or using their own brains.

Ethiopia Metro rail is just a metro rail, but Lagos Metro is a combination of roads, 10 lane freeway, over water bridge and so on.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tiredoflife(m): 1:15am On Sep 30, 2019
The agbero angle is key
Lagos politics is won by agberos
They control the parks and streets.
A modern lagos transport system is bad for politics
It means the cash cow of free money will be gone
Tinubu makes daily money from all parks and bus stops and the agberos who are the middle men get a cut
That's why the likes of mc oluomo are rich and used during politics

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:29am On Sep 30, 2019
Pennyways:
such a lengthy post expressing Nigeria sorrows at 59 after independent

Meanwhile, I can't afford my expensive time in read such
, only the headline and few paragraphs explain really the situation of Nigeria our dear OP is trying to inform us though we are aware.

Our more worries now is our economy

Electricity

Fulani herdsmen

APC

And how to revoke bubu out of Aso Rock

Idaraesit98:
Didn’t bother reading..Too long cry

Don’t you need help

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:33am On Sep 30, 2019
drshrewd:
development is a process not an event. It take some time to get to your desired destination. Lagos shall get there one day

A shrewd doctor should know better than just talk to get things done.
What else are you doing personally for Lagos to get there

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:34am On Sep 30, 2019
dolphinife:

Please what water ways are there between Okokomaiko and Marina

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:36am On Sep 30, 2019
OkCornel:
Greed and Colossal Fraud being swept under the carpet by an ostrich playing government.

Key things to highlight from the article;

You should have highlighted the biggest element also:

Second, the China Railway Construction Company (CRCC), contractors of the light rail project, in its 2010 report, put the cost as $182 million. Why is this so?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:37am On Sep 30, 2019
Kapeter:
Businessday should go and sit down. Lagos won't be building that, they only proposing it so FG can take over it. The useless FG won't do anything too untill there are reports of stampede in parks in Lagos.

Are you okay

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by seguno2: 1:40am On Sep 30, 2019
praiseoski:
Who took note of the paragraph that stated that the Chinese company recorded $182million in their financial statement as cost for the project, while the Lagos State govt claimed 1.2billion...

This is not d problem of leaders, because the leaders are not foreigners, they were taken from us. This country is iredeemable.. the day Another party takes over APC in Lagos State, we'll hear the full gist

Smh

What has to be done for this to happen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

You Stood By Borno During Trying Times - Zulum Hails Tinubu / Bwala: I'll Keep Attacking Peter Obi As Long As Obidients Continue Cyberbulling / Relatives Of #chibokgirls Marched Through Abuja Today (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.