Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

I Was Arrested For Wearing "We Are All Biafrans" T-shirt - Chido Onumah - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Was Arrested For Wearing "We Are All Biafrans" T-shirt - Chido Onumah (298 Views)

Female Soldier Punishes Man For Wearing Camouflage / I Was Arrested For Wearing Bum Shorts In Lagos - Lady / Soldiers Tortured & Punished Man For Wearing Military Camouflage (2) (3) (4)

(1)

I Was Arrested For Wearing "We Are All Biafrans" T-shirt - Chido Onumah by Delightikechi(m): 8:53am On Sep 30, 2019
Dib.com.ng - Delight Ikechi

Chido Onumah, a Nigerian journalist and rights activist arrested and detained by the Department of State Services on Sunday evening, says he was arrested for wearing a T-shirt with the inscription: ‘We Are All Biafrans'.

Onumah, who was arrested by DSS operatives at the Nnamdi Azikwe Airport in Abuja, was detained for hours.

He was arrested upon arriving in the country from a trip abroad, at 5pm on Sunday and released about five hours later.

The DSS denied Onumah from seeing his lawyer or any member of his family.

Speaking late on Sunday after his release, Onumah said he was told that his arrest was because he wore a shirt with the inscription: ‘We Are All Biafrans'.

“I was arrested for wearing the T-shirt because the SSS said it is capable of causing disaffection in the country.

“They said some people had issues and had contacted them (SSS) whether I was a part of a group that was planning against the country,” he said.

'We Are All Biafrans', is the title of Onumah’s latest book, published on December 2018, where he wrote about Nigeria, focusing on the need to restructure Nigeria in order to be able to build a united country.

The author has no known links with any of the Biafran groups and has opposed the breakup of Nigeria, calling instead for a restructured the country where power is devolved to its constituent parts.

The DSS has yet to make an official statement on the arrest of the journalist and there are no indications it plans to file charges against him.

Read more: https://www.dib.com.ng/2019/09/i-was-arrested-for-wearing-we-are-all-biafrans-t-shirt-chido-onumah.html

CC: Lalasticlala,Mynd44,Dominique

Re: I Was Arrested For Wearing "We Are All Biafrans" T-shirt - Chido Onumah by Mynd44: 9:01am On Sep 30, 2019

(1)

Sexforgrades: I’M Under Death Threat, BBC Journalist Reveals / Boko Haram: Nigerian Army Kills 15 Suspected Book Haram Terrorist In Borno / Now In Lagos: Fire Guts Fuel Tanker On Lagos-ibadan (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.