Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,717 members, 7,805,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 (695 Views)

Saint-Etienne Fans Attack Players After Relegation To Ligue 2 / Arsenal Enter Race To Sign Osimhen From Napoli / Napoli beat Arsenal and Chelsea to signing of Osimhen from Lille in £74m deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by jamesfadairo(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2019
Against all odds, the 20-year-old struggled to fight his way to the top
Lille forward Victor Osimhen said growing up in Olusosun area of Lagos State was a survival quest for him and his family.

The Nigeria international recounted his growth in the south-western part of the country with several experiences that have moulded him into the player he is at the moment.

The 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup winner disclosed how tough it was for his family when he lost his mother at a young age with each of siblings picking up different hustles on the street for survival.

"I lost my mom in October, I do not even remember the year. I was small. Three months later, my father lost his job. It was very hard for our family," Osimhen told France Footbal l.

"My brother sold sports newspapers, my sister, oranges in the street and me, bottled water in Lagos in the middle of the traffic. We have to survive so we stick together.

"In the evening, we were all together and we gathered the money on the table. We gave everything to our big sister and she made food and organized everything.

"Part of my life has been a struggle to survive. But that's all I am today in the end. It's hard to classify all but each event has created my personality. "

Osimhen, who is currently the top scorer in the French top-flight with six goals in eight games this season, revealed how tough growing up around Olusosun area of Lagos was for him.

"Where I grew up, people live on the other side of an open dump. With my friends, we went there every Friday or Sunday to find crampons and shoes. We stayed there for a long time. It was funny! We saw it as a game but when you think about it... It was always a fight. We were looking for crampons," he continued.

"Sometimes you see, you found yourself with a Nike on the right foot and then you start looking for the other foot ... And finally, you find the left foot and it's a Reebok! My sister patched everything up and it was good. It was survival."

Source: Goal

1 Like

Re: Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by beresponsible(m): 11:56am On Oct 01, 2019
Very touching and inspiring. Lazy youth take note apart from laptop and betnaija just work on something you are good and passionate about. The Almighty has a way of spreading blessings.

2 Likes

Re: Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by jamesfadairo(m): 11:59am On Oct 01, 2019
beresponsible:
Very touching and inspiring. Lazy youth take note apart from laptop and betnaija just work on something you are good and passionate about. The Almighty has a way of spreading blessings.

lol, funny but true, we need to hustle the right way so as to attract God's blessings

1 Like

Re: Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by Ayoleeboy007: 8:23pm On Oct 01, 2019
Re: Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by Ayoleeboy007: 8:23pm On Oct 01, 2019
jamesfadairo:
Against all odds, the 20-year-old struggled to fight his way to the top
Lille forward Victor Osimhen said growing up in Olusosun area of Lagos State was a survival quest for him and his family.

The Nigeria international recounted his growth in the south-western part of the country with several experiences that have moulded him into the player he is at the moment.

The 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup winner disclosed how tough it was for his family when he lost his mother at a young age with each of siblings picking up different hustles on the street for survival.

"I lost my mom in October, I do not even remember the year. I was small. Three months later, my father lost his job. It was very hard for our family," Osimhen told France Footbal l.

"My brother sold sports newspapers, my sister, oranges in the street and me, bottled water in Lagos in the middle of the traffic. We have to survive so we stick together.

"In the evening, we were all together and we gathered the money on the table. We gave everything to our big sister and she made food and organized everything.

"Part of my life has been a struggle to survive. But that's all I am today in the end. It's hard to classify all but each event has created my personality. "

Osimhen, who is currently the top scorer in the French top-flight with six goals in eight games this season, revealed how tough growing up around Olusosun area of Lagos was for him.

"Where I grew up, people live on the other side of an open dump. With my friends, we went there every Friday or Sunday to find crampons and shoes. We stayed there for a long time. It was funny! We saw it as a game but when you think about it... It was always a fight. We were looking for crampons," he continued.

"Sometimes you see, you found yourself with a Nike on the right foot and then you start looking for the other foot ... And finally, you find the left foot and it's a Reebok! My sister patched everything up and it was good. It was survival."

Source: Goal
This is not the right time to start doing useless interview, Nigeria players are too forward, few goals in league 1 and he is already talking about his past like a big star b4 he said he was hawking now na another story, the same thing iheanacho was doing every week when he score a tap in until pep got angry and send him away, I know its not easy but this is the right time to put his head down and work harder than ever when u get a golden boot u can now talk anything.
Re: Touching Story Of Osimhen: From Lagos Dumpsite To Ligue 1 by jamesfadairo(m): 11:27am On Oct 02, 2019
Ayoleeboy007:
This is not the right time to start doing useless interview, Nigeria players are too forward, few goals in league 1 and he is already talking about his past like a big star b4 he said he was hawking now na another story, the same thing iheanacho was doing every week when he score a tap in until pep got angry and send him away, I know its not easy but this is the right time to put his head down and work harder than ever when u get a golden boot u can now talk anything.

looooolz

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Prophet Reveals The Team That Will Win The Champions League 2020 / Ansu Fati Has Scored League Goals As New Real Madrid €250m Attacking Trio / Soccerstand Livescore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.