Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ (35337 Views)

Austin Umahi Rejects Buhari's Appointment / Buhari Appointment Of Charles Soludo Makes Me Believe He Means Well For Nigeria / Reno Omokri Reacts To Buhari's Appointment Of Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DSS Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by dre11(m): 3:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Soludo: A friend asked me to reject Buhari’s appointment ‘because there’s no money

Chinedu Asadu

Chukwuma Soludo, former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has disclosed how one of his friends asked him to reject the appointment into the economic advisory council.

President Muhammadu Buhari unveiled an 8-man economic council on September 16.

Some economic experts had commended the president for the decision, saying it is capable of yielding fruits.

But speaking at The Platform, an annual conference organised by Covenant Christian Centre in Lagos, on Tuesday, Soludo faulted the thought pattern of some Nigerians.

“When I was named as member of the Economic Advisory Council, a friend called me, spoke in Igbo: ‘leave their job for them’, I asked why, he said ‘but there’s no money there now, just a Committee… that’s how we reason in Nigeria,” he said.

The economist said the constitution is not sustainable and cannot carry Nigeria and its citizens for long.

Soludo further likened Nigeria’s current reality to the “foundation of an old bungalow”, saying the country needs to among other things change its economic institutions.

He said: “Our constitution, together with its command and control institutions concentrated at Abuja, was designed for and around the sharing and consumption of the oil rent. It is largely obsolete for the demands of a production economy without oil rent which requires competitive and flexible rather than unitary federalism.

“As the oil rent is tapping off, its internal contradictions have burst open, requiring a lot of survival mechanisms to keep the system afloat. But for how long?

“You cannot build a 100-storey building upon a foundation of an old bungalow. The new economy we need to build is a 100-storey building and we cannot put a 100-storey building on this foundation that has been laid for a bungalow.

“A post-oil economy requires that agents maximise their fullest potentials which would require a national rather than a federal response. You can’t clap with one hand.

“What we need is a new national business model. You are designing good ideas and good plans without the underlying infrastructure to carry those ideas forward.”

Soludo added that although Nigeria’s greatest resources is its population, adequate measures have not been put in place to secure the future of the young generation.

He charged the elite to agree on a goal to give the Nigerian child “what we enjoyed.”

He said: “This children in the next 30 years will be youth, they need jobs, they need education, they need water, they need housing. Twenty years time, the oil will be history. I want to ask whether we are actually prepared enough to welcome the 400 million Nigerians in 30 years time.

“Since 1992, we have implemented all kinds of plans all designed to diversify the economy but we are still tied to the life support of the oil sector. If you want to change a persistent economic structure, you have to change the underlying economic institution.

“Our greatest resource is human beings, but we are not going to export illiterates. The easiest way to waste the future is to continue to churn out illiterates and largely unemployed persons must of whom see criminality as the only way to escape.”

https://www.thecable.ng/soludo-a-friend-asked-me-to-reject-buharis-appointment-because-theres-no-money/amp

41 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Destined2win: 3:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
Yes there is none for you but there are lots for the cabal to do whatever they wish

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by NaijaRoyalty(m): 3:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
I don't think working for Buhari is a good idea because he doesn't listen to anybody .

112 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by ChoCho54(f): 4:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
Soludo should shut up and do the work he's appointmented for. Obono obla said worse things.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Simplyleo: 4:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
...a friend called me, spoke in Igbo: ‘leave their job for them’, I asked why, he said ‘but there’s no money there now, just a Committee

Even this igbo man that called the prof knows buhari doesn't dish out money lavishly as everything must be accounted for. The man actually called to discredit buhari but unconsciously uncovered some facts.

Yet some social media goats prefer telling themselves lies and believing same about some imaginary cabals packing Nigerian's money in aso rock.

A clown up there is already screaming "but money available for cabals", lol. Are these not the same people shouting up and down the other time that buhari gave the chairmanship of this committee to his brother or close ally? So he gave his brother/ally such a "lucrative" position, yet deny it funding. Meanwhile, the igbo man called to simply intimate the prof that, hmm, this man no dey throwey money anyhow o, so take a decision. cheesy

108 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by BuhariAdvocate: 4:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
Lol na them. Unpatriotic people they will be crying about the situation of the country but they can’t do what would bring development to the nation.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
You are not just taking the job. You are crossing to APC.

One thing to set up a committee, another thing is to listen to then.

Abacha still holds the record of bringing bright minds together for brainstorming.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by juvewalex(m): 4:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
The patriotism in Nigerians is less than 5% and it's a big shame as no one wants to serve Nigeria without personal interest.

Kudos to you Mr. Soludo

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by gratiaeo(m): 4:18pm On Oct 01, 2019
All juicy position have been occupied by fulani's without actually doing anything

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by neoclassical: 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
Soludo, Nigerian best Economist alive. This man is economically sound. As a Development Economist, I have reservations about someone like Soludo making great impact in Buhari's government. Soludo is an expansionary Economist, whereas Buhari believes in contractionary economic policies. What Nigeria needs now is "Soludo Model" in order to keep the economy in liquidity and ultimately achieve rapid growth in the real sector of the economy. There is liquidity trap in the country, which has contributed to stagnation in the real sector. For us to redeem the country and its citizens from the vicious circle of poverty, we need heavy investment in social overhead capital through lopsided economic model, in that, the economy will diversify itself naturally. When business environment becomes conducive, small and medium scale enterprises will thrive, income of the people will increase, leading to high standard of living.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Flexherbal(m): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2019
But speaking at The Platform, an annual conference organised by Covenant Christian Centre in Lagos, on Tuesday, Soludo faulted the thought pattern of some Nigerians.
Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by aolawale025: 4:32pm On Oct 01, 2019
Thank God he accepted

2 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by omenka(m): 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2019
“When I was named as member of the Economic Advisory Council, a friend called me, spoke in Igbo: ‘leave their job for them’, I asked why, he said ‘but there’s no money there now, just a Committee… that’s how we reason in Nigeria,” he said.
There you have it folks, one of the root causes of our problem in this country.

Besides what soludo said, I believe the caller said what he said because Soludo accepting such an appointment could potentially poke holes at the usual sing song of those who despise the government of the day (MARGINALIZATION).

We have an huge problem in this country. Too many evil men desperately working day and night to ensure there exists no peace in Nigeria.

By God, they will all fail!

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Samunique(m): 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2019
He said: “Our constitution, together with its command and control institutions concentrated at Abuja, was designed for and around the sharing and consumption of the oil rent. It is largely obsolete for the demands of a production economy without oil rent which requires competitive and flexible rather than unitary federalism.

“You cannot build a 100-storey building upon a foundation of an old bungalow. The new economy we need to build is a 100-storey building and we cannot put a 100-storey building on this foundation that has been laid for a bungalow.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2019
Simplyleo:
[b][/b]
Even this igbo man that called the prof knows buhari doesn't dish out money lavishly as everything must be accounted for. The man actually called to discredit buhari but unconsciously uncovered some facts.

Yet some social media goats prefer telling themselves lies and believing same about some imaginary cabals packing Nigerian's money in aso rock.

A clown up there is already screaming "but money available for cabals", lol. Are these not the same people shouting up and down the other time that buhari gave the chairmanship of this committee to his brother or close ally? So he gave his brother/ally such a "lucrative" position, yet deny it funding. Meanwhile, the igbo man called to simply intimate the prof that, hmm, this man no dey throwey money anyhow o, so take a decision. cheesy
But when Buhari wants to jet out for his medical tourism against his promise not to, there will be money. A fool can only deceive himself. undecided

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Afamed: 4:46pm On Oct 01, 2019
It's well
Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 4:52pm On Oct 01, 2019
omenka:
There you have it folks, onenote the root causes of our problem in this country.

Besides what soludo said, I believe the caller said what he said because Soludo accepting such an appointment could potentially poke holes at the usual sing song of those who despise the government of the day (MARGINALIZATION).

We have an huge problem in this country. Too many evil men desperately working day and night to ensure there exists no peace in Nigeria.

By God, they will all fail!

In the style of Sanwo Olu, that's just one part of it.

I respect your choice as a loyalist of the current administration. But I'll be disappointed if this is the key thing you picked from today's discourse.

13 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by ChidiAlaigbo: 4:52pm On Oct 01, 2019
neoclassical:
Soludo, Nigerian best Economist alive. This man is economically sound. As a Development Economist, I have reservations about someone like Soludo making great impact in Buhari's government. Soludo is an expansionary Economist, whereas Buhari believes in contractionary economic policies. What Nigeria needs now is "Soludo Model" in other to keep the economy in liquidity and ultimately achieve rapid growth in the real sector of the economy. There is liquidity trap in the country, which has contributed to stagnation in the real sector. For us to redeem the country and its citizens from the vicious circle of poverty, we need heavy investment in social overhead capital through lopsided economic model, in that, the economy will diversify itself naturally. When business environment becomes conducive, small and medium scale enterprises will thrive, income of the people will increase, leading to high standard of living.

BEAUTIFUL NONSENSE!

Too much grammatical nonsense.........expansionary and contractionary when 200m low IQ people can not produce food to eat or pencils for their extremely large number of children to write with.....

Engineers that cannot build a simple gutter - that's what you sound like.......SWERVE!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by ChidiAlaigbo: 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2019
Afamed:
It's well

Sorry comrade, IT IS NOT bleeping WELL!

2 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
ChoCho54:
Soludo should shut up and do the work he's appointmented for. Obono obla said worse things.

Chai!

Soludo was brilliant today and even wise, while at it.

Yet, all you come up with is this?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Daviddson(m): 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2019
This was actually what his friend seemed to be telling him: "You know the bogus millions of naira you used to take as weekend, hardship grin, suffering grin, traveling allowances when you were in CBN, and the private embezzlements too from which I was privileged to have benefited?
They no longer allow it, or at most, unless you're a die-hard member of the cabal which itself is not easy being one!" grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 4:57pm On Oct 01, 2019
neoclassical:
Soludo, Nigerian best Economist alive. This man is economically sound. As a Development Economist, I have reservations about someone like Soludo making great impact in Buhari's government. Soludo is an expansionary Economist, whereas Buhari believes in contractionary economic policies. What Nigeria needs now is "Soludo Model" in other to keep the economy in liquidity and ultimately achieve rapid growth in the real sector of the economy. There is liquidity trap in the country, which has contributed to stagnation in the real sector. For us to redeem the country and its citizens from the vicious circle of poverty, we need heavy investment in social overhead capital through lopsided economic model, in that, the economy will diversify itself naturally. When business environment becomes conducive, small and medium scale enterprises will thrive, income of the people will increase, leading to high standard of living.

What Nigeria needs is a collaborative effort, not all these usual individual hailing. Even Prof Soludo stressed this much.

3 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by ChoCho54(f): 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2019
pmc01:

Chai!

Soludo was brilliant today and even wise, while at it.

Yet, all you come up with is this?
Sorry?

From the benefits of hindsight,. I advised a brother.

What's your problem with that?

2 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 5:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
The issues raised at "THE PLATFORM" today should be what should be trending, via healthy debates till this year ends.

God help us.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Pusyiter(m): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2019
Gracealone:
You are not just taking the job. You are crossing to APC.

One thing to set up a committee, another thing is to listen to then.

Abacha still holds the record of bringing bright minds together for brainstorming.
It is not to bring bright minds to brainstorm but to implement the outcome of their brainstorming.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Pusyiter(m): 5:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
Let's get it
A one million Soludos can not bring the needed economic Eldorado because of the faulty socioeconomic and political structure

11 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by Pusyiter(m): 5:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
Let's get it
A one million Soludos can not bring the needed economic Eldorado because of the faulty socioeconomic and political structure smiley

2 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by obiekunie2: 5:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
THIS WILL BE HIS GREATEST CAREER MISTAKE.

TIME WILL TELL.
Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 5:08pm On Oct 01, 2019
Pusyiter:

It is not to bring bright minds to brainstorm but to implement the outcome of their brainstorming.

Bismarck Rewane hammered on that repeatedly, but where are the drivers of the expected outcome?

3 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by pmc01(m): 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
Pusyiter:
Let's get it
A one million Soludos can not bring the needed economic Eldorado because of the faulty socioeconomic and political structure smiley

That's why he challenged the populace to pressure the ruling elite to do right.

6 Likes

Re: Soludo: I Was Asked To Reject Buhari’s Appointment ‘because There’s No Money’ by ChoCho54(f): 5:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
pmc01:

What Nigeria needs is a collaborative effort, not all these usual individual hailing. Even Prof Soludo stressed this much.
Give soludo himself three months on the job, he will be the highest hailer of the strongman of Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Attack Community In Akwa Ibom After Death Of Their Colleague. Photos / Lagos, Kwara, Kogi Other States Get New Commissioners Of Police / 2023: Why Picking Wike As Atiku's Running Mate Will Help PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.