Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (78231 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / See How All The 36 Nigerian States Got Their Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Innovate07: 8:44pm On Oct 02, 2019
Ekealterego:

Your German analogy is wrong.. Whether in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, even in Northern Italy.. They are all referred to as "Ethnic Germans". Even within Germany, there are different dialects which were originally unintelligible, even up till today, e.g Bavarian.

Nationality can differ, politics, religion can differ but one thing they all cannot deny is their Germaness...
Although Germany as a country out of pride named themselves "Germany" to rub it in, but they are not the only ethnic Germans in Europe.

You're very wrong an Austrian or swiz will never claim to be German. The English language and Dutch are germanic languages but non of them too will claim to be a German. I have lived in Germany for 15 yrs and studied uropean languages at the universities majoring on German, English and French so I know what I am talking about

Urhobo I and isoko s an edoid language and sometimes share names but will never claim to be Edo
lyricalz:

you didn't do your research well at all, egun and awori is a language spoken in Lagos, nothing like igala in anambra. And there is a small town in bayelsa state that speak urhobo. many other errors. next time research well before publishing things like this. Stop misleading people.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MiddleDimension: 9:18pm On Oct 02, 2019
omenka:
Those kids are the most pathetic creatures I've ever seen. Imagine claiming there are indigenous Igbos in Benue state.

Yet these are the same people that wanted to kickstart world war III when claims were made there are practicing Igbos muslims.

They want to one to dilute what they believe belongs to them, yet they go about coveting other people's lands.

Nonsense.

and the truth is that there are practicing Igbo Muslims who are indegenes of Enugu state. my friend is Igbo and he is Muslim from that community

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MiddleDimension: 9:26pm On Oct 02, 2019
mhosqo:

I just had to quote you. Instead of calming down to learn what you don't, no, you're busy jumping up and down disturbing the thread. Encyclopedia

my dear, stop it already! is it the same wikipeadia that said esu is satan, and also named Benue as South Eastern state?

the truth is that there are some biafrogs working for wikipeadia who that nonsense there. they also work for the bbc too where they keep misinforming people about the identity of benue.

but the question i keep asking you guys is: what does claiming other people's land do for you? why are you hell bent on claiming people who have time and again denied you? are you not ashamed of yourselves?

those idiooots that put that on wikipeadia are cannot know the state more than those of us from there and have lived there for a very long time!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MiddleDimension: 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2019
here is a map of Nigeria showing the ethnic groups in each state. the real map biafrogs cannot touch.

so where is Igbo inside the map of Benue? i hope this can put an end to the noise you keep making which is why they kill you in South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MiddleDimension: 9:43pm On Oct 02, 2019
here are other maps

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by MiddleDimension: 9:58pm On Oct 02, 2019
map of benue state showing the ethnic groups.

note that Egede is not mentioned here because they are most being lumped up with Idoma since they were once Och'Idoma in person of Ajene Okpabi. the Etulo are not mentioned too because they have almost being absorbed buly the Tiv

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Ekealterego: 2:36am On Oct 03, 2019
Innovate07:

You're very wrong an Austrian or swiz will never claim to be German. The English language and Dutch are germanic languages but non of them too will claim to be a German. I have lived in Germany for 15 yrs and studied uropean languages at the universities majoring on German, English and French so I know what I am talking about

Urhobo I and isoko s an edoid language and sometimes share names but will never claim to be Edo
What city do you live in Germany. You studied European Languages and culture and you don't know that swizz Germans and Austrians and some parts of Northern Italy have people called, "Ethnic Germans"?
Deutschland or Germany as we know it, gave themselves that name out of pride, the name "Germany" as a country is a relatively recent invention. Most part of Today's political Germany used to be called "Prussia", they politically changed the name as recently as 1932.

And yes, people from England, Netherlands, etc used to be referred to as a "Germanic tribes", it wasn't so long ago, may be about 1000 years ago their language began to split and became unintelligible to each other. Germanic tribes (like the jutes and angles) differed from Slavic tribes.
Germany as a country is a political coinage which is different from "German as an ethnic group".. Get it right. That's why people in Austria and Swiss are "Ethnically Germans", and please do a thorough research before replying me.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Psalm2423(m): 7:42am On Oct 03, 2019
centboy123456:

guy u are fool for saying this ika are what tell me the guy pls don't say what u don't know ika are full igbo in case u don't know am from ika fool u think u know anything ika are igbo mumu

See this craze o...where you from come inside Agbor? You no get sense. If you call Ogwashi-Uku for here, I go slap you. Where are you from first? Make I know before I shock you. No Ika man would call himself an Igbo man. They hate it, believe it or not. Just day spit nonsense for here.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by LadyExcellency: 11:07am On Oct 03, 2019
MiddleDimension:

will you answer his question and stop behaving like a coward!

You don't answer hypothetical question with a logical answer. You coward.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by murphyibiam15(m): 11:24am On Oct 03, 2019
sassysure:

The guy dey para cheesy
I wrote that I understand Ikwerre more than afikpo e.g. edda abi eda. Their igbo is tough. Whenever, I'm with them, they use general igbo. Meanwhile just watching Ikwerre news on the telly or listening on radio, u will understand more than 80%.
If u go to òmòkù, it's easy breezy igbo.

I read that the separation and denial was as the aftermath of Nigeria civil war.

the radio people use a centralized form of ikwerre to broadcast and as such you can understand better, there are many dialects in Igbo and I bet you the Afikpo ie Edda person won't understand your own dialect fully and that's the reason for central Igbo, Nsukka may not understand Ngwa dialect fully just as the Orlu man will not understand ohafia dialect fully..thats the essence of central Igbo..funny a thing most Yoruba dialects like ijebu, Ekiti aren't even close to the central Yoruba language and that's how language is

besides tell me where you're from in Igbo land and you will see not everyone will understand everything in your dialect unless you speak central igbo
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2019
murphyibiam15:

the radio people use a centralized form of ikwerre to broadcast and as such you can understand better, there are many dialects in Igbo and I bet you the Afikpo ie Edda person won't understand your own dialect fully and that's the reason for central Igbo, Nsukka may not understand Ngwa dialect fully just as the Orlu man will not understand ohafia dialect fully..thats the essence of central Igbo..funny a thing most Yoruba dialects like ijebu, Ekiti aren't even close to the central Yoruba language and that's how language is

besides tell me where you're from in Igbo land and you will see not everyone will understand everything in your dialect unless you speak central igbo

I gave example of people I deal with directly on persona level.
My in law is from edda.
I actually love their igbo and I tried learning it. They understands us perfectly well. Imagine, if mama visits, she will use pigin english cheesy

Ikwerre is where I grew up, all the crannies of Ikwerre land my babes are indigene so weekends, we are off to their places. 2 work for my cousin and are like family, we go to their traditional functions, so igbo like. As at then, I didn't know about this non igbo, igbo conflict. Saw them as another igbo with dialect different from ours.
Meet an Ikwerre granny, u will be shocked at what u will hear.
At the end of the day, it's all politics. I dont really care as long as everybody is happy and representing kiss

Our igbo is mainly centralised. very few words that's different. If I read books in igbo. Almost the same. Igbo language is very hard I must say and for a learner, the dialects can be confusing.
I love owerri dialect the best anyway. It's very romantic.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by murphyibiam15(m): 5:39pm On Oct 03, 2019
sassysure:

My in law is from edda.
I actually love their igbo and I tried learning it. They understands us perfectly well. Imagine, if mama visits, she will use pigin english cheesy

Ikwerre is where I grew up, all the crannies of Ikwerre land my babes are indigene so weekends, we are off to their places. 2 work for my cousin and are like family, we go to their traditional functions, so igbo like. As at then, I didn't know about this non igbo, igbo conflict. Saw them as another igbo with dialect different from ours.
At the end of the day, it's all politics. I dont really care as long as everybody is happy and representing kiss

Our igbo is mainly centralised. very few words that's different. If I read books in igbo. Almost the same. Igbo language is very hard I must say and for a learner, the dialects can be confusing.
thats nice, I'm from Edda myself and had my university in UNEC(UNN), my Ngwo friend once came to Edda for one of our cultural festivals, he didn't find it difficult to understand the locals and even said Edda dialect was easier to understand than Ngwo which he happened to come from..Is true though, Igbo language is difficult Esp for those learning it as adults..As for ikwerre people they're 100% Igbo and even have similar words and pronunciation like Edda dialect..I once worked in Aluu for 4 months before I left port Harcourt for a higher job

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Ignyte(m): 6:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
Osagyefo98:

There is nothing like Igala in anambra state pls.

Your brother served there and u visited and automatically u hearing Igala..

pls stop spreading lies.

Nothing like Igala in anambra state.

Klinee has said he is Igala from Anambra. Argue with him.

You will be doing as if you know everything
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 03, 2019
murphyibiam15:

thats nice, I'm from Edda myself and had my university in UNEC(UNN), my Ngwo friend once came to Edda for one of our cultural festivals, he didn't find it difficult to understand the locals and even said Edda dialect was easier to understand than Ngwo which he happened to come from..Is true though, Igbo language is difficult Esp for those learning it as adults..As for ikwerre people they're 100% Igbo and even have similar words and pronunciation like Edda dialect..I once worked in Aluu for 4 months before I left port Harcourt for a higher job
Really?.
So u are my in law?
Ka grin
But bc this is a very public forum, once I mention the name of my in law, u will know the family.
Good to know.
I enjoy egwuregbu grin
Mama makes it the best kiss kiss

I haven't checked that o actually. U might be right in d 2 having similar dialects. U see,it's like that all over the world. It's only in Nigeria that everything is politics.
Good knowing u kiss
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by murphyibiam15(m): 7:05pm On Oct 03, 2019
sassysure:

Really?.
So u are my in law?
Ka grin
But bc this is a very public forum, once I mention the name of my in law, u will know the family.
Good to know.
I enjoy egwuregbu grin
Mama makes it the best kiss kiss

I haven't checked that o actually. U might be right in d 2 having similar dialects. U see,it's like that all over the world. It's only in Nigeria that everything is politics.
Good knowing u kiss
nice to know u too, so they've already baptized you with Egburegbu grin cheesy....thats my best dish anytime any day
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by murphyibiam15(m): 7:06pm On Oct 03, 2019
Ignyte:

Klinee has said he is Igala from Anambra. Argue with him.

You will be doing as if you know everything
the nigga is so terrified of the truth and can't bear to hear that theyre igala people in Anambra...lmao

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 03, 2019
murphyibiam15:

nice to know u too, so they've already baptized you with Egburegbu grin cheesy....thats my best dish anytime any day
Yes o!
I tried cooking that thing. First attempt was fukk up cheesy
Had to call for back up.

That was the first time I ate mushroom too.
There is that grated something called òtò grin

U see, I sabi una wella cheesy

My in law is a very wonderful man. One of our best in laws.
So down to earth. And to think our people especially mama was objective. Anambra people with superiority complex. Now she has travelled out 3 times to stay with them.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by murphyibiam15(m): 7:18pm On Oct 03, 2019
sassysure:

Yes o!
I tried cooking that thing. First attempt was fukk up cheesy
Had to call for back up.

That was the first time I ate mushroom too.
There is that grated something called òtò grin

U see, I sabi una wella cheesy

My in law is a very wonderful man. One of our best in laws.
So down to earth. And to think our people especially mama was objective. Anambra people with superiority complex. Now she has travelled out 3 times to stay with them.
hahahahaha, you don sabi us finish sha, for you to know our ótö grin grin...is quite interesting to know, we have varieties in dishes and when it comes to cultural richness we're amongst the 1st in igboland..your sister is very much in a safe place cheesy
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Japhet31: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2019
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 1:17am On Oct 04, 2019
sassysure:

My in law is from edda.

Many Ikwerre moms and grandmas are actually from Imo or Abia state, so their Igbo might not be the typical Ikwerre Igbo. But yes, Ikwerre dialect is quite easy to understand, especially that spoken in PH and environs. The deeper inside Ikwerre land you go, the harder it becomes.

2 Likes

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Henri8: 7:30am On Oct 04, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for this. Do some core Ibaji people themselves speak Igbo as a second language?
Yes. The Odeke axis of Ibaji bordering Anambra State. Though learnt due to proximity.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nurumaxy: 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2019
post=82779958:
...can you send your message here Nurumaxy?
Thanks.
abhey ogbhor na kih
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by herich(m): 11:18pm On Oct 04, 2019
somehow:
You're not making sense, you claimed he bears Ifeanyi, so he must be igbo. I then ask if you bear Bruce, does that make you an English man?

Hope this is self-explanatory?

You guys ain't tired of this senseless logic?
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by midnighter(f): 12:05pm On Oct 05, 2019
Japhet31:

31 now..... mylady... I added it as a suffix to the japhet.

They're asking for younger siblings tho... if you'll forward a pic.. I might ask if they like your face...

you game?

Lol 31 and you still want more? You must be totally bald or at least your head is completely white cheesy

A nice face doesnt make a good stepmom
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by ojcreate(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2019
[quote author=UrVillagePpl post=82751149]
denn141414@gmail.com
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by AndikanEssien(m): 9:32am On Oct 19, 2019
YungMillionaire:

Who told you? There is a very significant indigenous Igbo population in Akwa-Ibom. Please educate yourself brother.

So because those who live by the boundary of Akwa Ibom and Abia can speak both languages that now equates to a significant Igbo population in Akwa Ibom State. You need basic education my brother
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 22, 2019
AndikanEssien:

So because those who live by the boundary of Akwa Ibom and Abia can speak both languages that now equates to a significant Igbo population in Akwa Ibom State. You need basic education my brother

We have settled this here earlier.

There are no Igbos in Akwa Ibom and there are no Ibibios in Abia. Everybody on your own.

Igbos and Ibibios has nothing in common.

That's the basic education and okay like this.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by tck2000(m): 11:21am On Oct 23, 2019
You guys are still arguing.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by YungMillionaire: 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2019
MelesZenawi:

We have settled this here earlier.

There are no Igbos in Akwa Ibom and there are no Ibibios in Abia. Everybody on your own.

Igbos and Ibibios has nothing in common.

That's the basic education and okay like this.

You are one of the problems with Nigeria. People like you that make blatant false statements. There are no Igbos in AkwaIbom? Are you well? And btw I am not Igbo and I do not support SS as part of Biafra. So don't come and tell me nonsense. I have met Igbos who are indigenes of AkwaIbom. No be mouth. I have actually met them in the flesh. Just like I have met Igalas who are indigenes of Anambra state. Yorubas who are indigenes of Edo state. There is a family in Lagos then when I was growing up, their names are Yoruba but they are from Anioma. Not Itshekiris, fvcking Anioma! Guy Nigeria is way more complicated than some of you can comprehend.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
YungMillionaire:

You are one of the problems with Nigeria. People like you that make blatant false statements. There are no Igbos in AkwaIbom? Are you well? And btw I am not Igbo and I do not support SS as part of Biafra. So don't come and tell me nonsense. I have met Igbos who are indigenes of AkwaIbom. No be mouth. I have actually met them in the flesh. Just like I have met Igalas who are indigenes of Anambra state. Yorubas who are indigenes of Edo state. There is a family in Lagos then when I was growing up, their names are Yoruba but they are from Anioma. Not Itshekiris, fvcking Anioma! Guy Nigeria is way more complicated than some of you can comprehend.

Maybe the person you met was lying to that he is from Akwa Ibom.

The geography is clear, study it again then you will understand that no Igbo is Indigenous to Akwa ibom same way no Ibibio is Indigenous to Abia state.

Check your records well.
Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by YungMillionaire: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Maybe the person you met was lying to that he is from Akwa Ibom.
The geography is clear, study it again then you will understand that no Igbo is Indigenous to Akwa ibom same way no Ibibio is Indigenous to Abia state.
Check your records well.

You are not well. So all the Igbos I know who are indigenes of Akwa-Ibom are lying? Are you okay? This is why I sometimes hate commenting on NL - some of you are just plain ridiculous. Mister man kiss the truth. There are Igbo indigenes of AkwaIbom.

1 Like

Re: Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria by oyinpr(m): 4:02pm On Oct 26, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Language is not tribe.

There are no Igbos in cross river and Bayelsa.

If there are such, prove it or let them come and say so.
thank you bro, there are no Igbo speaking people in Bayelsa State.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Nigerian Student In UK Causes Stir With Pictures Of White Friends In Babariga / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Zaynab-Otiti Obanor: Ooni Of Ife's Ex-Wife Olori Wuraola In New York (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.