Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? (22939 Views)

Five Facebook, Twitter And Other Social Media Platforms' Posts To Avoid / USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms / 4 Major Reasons Why Apple Must Slash The Prices Of The Iphone Now ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by JeffreyLiaison(m): 11:09am On Oct 03, 2019
Bmaster:
sir, i don't mean to interrogate you, but can you lay more emphasies on what you've typed.
like, if i subscribe a 1.5GB Data at the cost of 1000 naira, and i use it all on nairaland, you mean the management of nairaland will share the 1k with my network provider ?
am confused.

No, its a false ideology that people think that the amount they use to sub goes to fb or Twitter, it goes to the network provider, from all I can see nairaland makes money from the advertisements people/companies make through it.
I don't know the firm of ad system it works on, pay-per-click or pay-per-impression
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2019
MrTrend:

Which one is "data generation?" shocked

facebook uses the data they get from the useage of your profile, they give access to advertisers for a fees, while advertisers pay facebook to show you targeted ad

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2019
lilwetdick:

what is this one saying, this is nonsense

the question was how social media companies like facebook make money not how social media influencers makes money

that is how you will go and fail exam.
You could have corrected me without insult!!!
Bt no!!! Pretending to be Mr perfect that never makes mistake!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by chinchonglee(m): 11:10am On Oct 03, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:

Brow how will all these work if they don't have a huge user base which correlates to what traffic is, who would subscribe if they have no users, or who would view the ads or whose data are they going to sell?
Network brands make money through traffic not Social media brands
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 03, 2019
notoriousbabe:
which money nairaland dey make? Why you think sey moderators dey ban us? Their body dey pepper dem as market no dey for nairaland

If only you knew...
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by JeffreyLiaison(m): 11:11am On Oct 03, 2019
Bmaster:
some things are really getting me confused the more,..
bro, what of sites that has it as part of their T&C's that your information and bio, will kept secured from a third party, does it mean they are breaching the T&C's after all ?

Facebook has been fined several times because of breach in users privacy when they sell the data to third party but their main source of revenue is advertisement
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

Jst answer the question
No I won't.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by cliqtips: 11:13am On Oct 03, 2019
They all makes their money from ads placed (people use the platform to advertise their products & Services). Companies advertise on the platforms.
tck2000:
I'm really curious. Please, can you enlighten me how Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube make their money?...

Mods, it would be great if this thread could make frontpage.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by notoriousbabe: 11:13am On Oct 03, 2019
tundeb303:

If only you knew...
yinmu. Why do you think seun never marry or buy motor?
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by JeffreyLiaison(m): 11:14am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

Network brands make money through traffic not Social media brands

Social media do make money through traffic, you can research on that but I have high doubt as of network providers
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Harryfrosh: 11:14am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:
Ads bro.
I knw alot abt dat of Facebook cos i run a business dere.

Dey charge $1 per day for ads
just $1 per day?... Can you kindly put me through... I'll really appreciate
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by bizhop01: 11:16am On Oct 03, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:
Through traffic and advertisements
What's about WhatsApp?
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Xclusiveme: 11:16am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:
Ads bro.

It's so little
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 03, 2019
supereagle:

What of WhatsApp?

facebook do not make money from whatsapp but use the data from your whatapp messages for targetted ad on your facebook
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Xclusiveme: 11:18am On Oct 03, 2019
Please what's the work of Google if its not to search for an information. Abi u dey use Freebasics.. � Lol
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 03, 2019
Pettyprincess:

You could have corrected me without insult!!!
Bt no!!! Pretending to be Mr perfect that never makes mistake!!

i am Mr perfect,

i guess that is what you will tell the examiner next time you answer wrongly.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Xclusiveme: 11:19am On Oct 03, 2019
I never knew Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram are owned by Facebook Inc. Mark Zuckerberg
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:20am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:
Ads bro.

$1 per day?

Very funny.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Gauravthandel: 11:24am On Oct 03, 2019

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Carmal90(m): 11:26am On Oct 03, 2019
lilwetdick:
From adverts

because of their large user base, they have inbuilt ad systems, where companies can buy advertisement and reach their users

They also make money from data generation
Do they make money from our data we bought from network provider??
We had this argument last week,this time not Facebook but for opay..the guy said they make money through our bought data.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by mysteryman2014: 11:26am On Oct 03, 2019
SOFTENGR:

Traffic? How?

All those subscribe to my channels blah blah, is all because they make money on the number of views that are accumulated, the more views then adverts can be placed on your page for the numerous viewers. Win win situation.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 03, 2019
notoriousbabe:
yinmu. Why do you think seun never marry or buy motor?

Lol.. Just in 2011, nairaland was proposed to be bought do you know much? one million dollars.
And at about the time a site ranked it to be worth of 512million naira. Talk less of now...

1,602,839,340.00 that's nairaland's worth at the moment and its bound to change.

Lalasticlala is paid and is married with a child just of recent.
So you think its everyone that is lost in this ignorant Nigerian mentality of marry and buy car to show to the public that u're rich.
The richest people among u are very silent o so don't be blind o,
Seun is a billionaire.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by tollyboy5(m): 11:28am On Oct 03, 2019
whitedove:
How Does Facebook Make Money? Despite having over two billion users on its platform, Facebook doesn't actually make any money on content or directly through its user base. ... All in all, the company earns about 85% of its money from advertising.
I don't think they earn anything from whatsapp it has no ads
only little from downloads maybe
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Neoteny(m): 11:32am On Oct 03, 2019
They sell your data to ad companies
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by tunary(m): 11:35am On Oct 03, 2019
makavelli80:
The bandwidths r converted to money
Can you please explain in summary
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 03, 2019
Carmal90:

Do they make money from our data we bought from network provider??
We had this argument last week,this time not Facebook but for opay..the guy said they make money through our bought data.

facebook or opay dont make money from the data you buy from MTN and others, telecommunication and internet provider companies makes money from the data you buy from them

for facebook, the data they make money from is your profile and your messages, they analysed these data to provide better services for you and also to target ad to you

As for opay, that is a different business model, they make money from the services they offer, from also advertisement and also they also use your personal data to know how to better satisfy you

I think on airtel facebook is free to access, if possible, facebook can make accessing to your profile free of charge.

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Opeyemi4real(m): 11:39am On Oct 03, 2019
Bmaster:
sir, i don't mean to interrogate you, but can you lay more emphasies on what you've typed.
like, if i subscribe a 1.5GB Data at the cost of 1000 naira, and i use it all on nairaland, you mean the management of nairaland will share the 1k with my network provider ?
am confused.
Yes
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by notoriousbabe: 11:39am On Oct 03, 2019
tundeb303:

Lol.. Just in 2011, nairaland was proposed to be bought do you know much? one million dollars.
And at about the time a site ranked it to be worth of 512million naira. Talk less of now...

1,602,839,340.00 that's nairaland's worth at the moment and its bound to change.

Lalasticlala is paid and is married with a child just of recent.
So you think its everyone that is lost in this ignorant Nigerian mentality of marry and buy car to show to the public that u're rich.
The richest people among u are very silent o so don't be blind o,
Seun is a billionaire.
all na lie
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by prinxwizard(m): 11:39am On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:
Ads bro. I knw alot abt dat of Facebook cos i run a business dere.
This got me laughing hard.... $1 per day for ad? You know nothing bro.

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 03, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:

Social media do make money through traffic, you can research on that but I have high doubt as of network providers

actually the traffic is where the money is

No traffic no cash, if traffic on facebook falls, they will not make enough cash, if traffic increases, more people will create accounts and more users, more people for advertisers to target
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by LordReed(m): 11:43am On Oct 03, 2019
They sell your data to other companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pes 2021 Ppsspp Download Iso For Android / Between Tecno Phantom 6 Plus And Gionee S6, Which Is Preferable? / Earn Up To ₦35,000 From Your Whatsapp Status - See How

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.