Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,993 members, 7,799,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? (22923 Views)

Five Facebook, Twitter And Other Social Media Platforms' Posts To Avoid / USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms / 4 Major Reasons Why Apple Must Slash The Prices Of The Iphone Now ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Carsontyqa(m): 11:47am On Oct 03, 2019
SOFTENGR:

Traffic? How?
By visiting NL daily, they have generated traffic off you.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by SenecaTheYonger: 11:48am On Oct 03, 2019
whitedove:
How Does Facebook Make Money? Despite having over two billion users on its platform, Facebook doesn't actually make any money on content or directly through its user base. ... All in all, the company earns about 85% of its money from advertising.

That's because we are the product.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 03, 2019
notoriousbabe:
all na lie

ok

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 03, 2019
They run ads...
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by supereagle(m): 11:57am On Oct 03, 2019
lilwetdick:

facebook do not make money from whatsapp but use the data from your whatapp messages for targetted ad on your facebook
Thanks for the information and education.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by kirkwood: 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2019
Facebook is a listed company. They have lots of products, including advertisements. They sell data. They host pages. And a lot more
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Carmal90(m): 12:13pm On Oct 03, 2019
lilwetdick:

facebook or opay dont make money from the data you buy from MTN and others, telecommunication and internet provider companies makes money from the data you buy from them

for facebook, the data they make money from is your profile and your messages, they analysed these data to provide better services for you and also to target ad to you

As for opay, that is a different business model, they make money from the services they offer, from also advertisement and also they also use your personal data to know how to better satisfy you
O
I think on airtel facebook is free to access, if possible, facebook can make accessing to your profile free of charge.

May u never lack, this simple thing almost led to them want to beat me,see a graduate for that matter.
Thanks
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by tosyne2much(m): 12:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
Since those platforms have huge fan base advertisers buy slots to feature their brands
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by foolbuster: 12:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
tundeb303:

ok

Thats what you get when you try impacting knowledge on arrogant ignorant idiots. Sadly thats what more than half of nigerians are and 90% of them are on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:
Ads bro.
I knw alot abt dat of Facebook cos i run a business dere.

Dey charge $1 per day for ads

What about whatsapp

How do they make money
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by chinchonglee(m): 12:41pm On Oct 03, 2019
prinxwizard:

This got me laughing hard.... $1 per day for ad? You know nothing bro.
U knw everything bro.
Is ur facebook acct a business acct?

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by chinchonglee(m): 12:43pm On Oct 03, 2019
BuddhaPalm:

$1 per day?

Very funny.
It depends on ur target audience but u av a minimum of $1 per day. Dnt tell me what i knw biko. I run ads on fb
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by digitalxpat(m): 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2019
Yea they make money from ADVERTS and SUBSCRIPTION (Linkedin) and you the user are the PRODUCT.

https://www.nairaland.com/5450632/how-social-media-platforms-actually
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by agoodman(m): 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

U can actually make money 2ru facebook.

I can teach u!

Abeg you can teach me. I'm interested.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by chinchonglee(m): 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2019
Harryfrosh:
just $1 per day?... Can you kindly put me through... I'll really appreciate
is ur facebook a business acct?
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 03, 2019
LordReed:
They sell your data to other companies.
For real?!?
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Cyril009(m): 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
tck2000:
I'm really curious. Please, can you enlighten me how Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube make their money?...

Mods, it would be great if this thread could make frontpage.

Advertising revenue
companies,firms& individuals promote their products,websites or services on these social media platforms & websites if they reach have a large audience(users)

A very good example is nairaland
nairaland is up and running from ad revenue ads are everywhere on nairaland

facebook you see posts that's says "sponsored"
(I always run into jiji &jumia ads on Facebook I am pretty sure you also have too)

YouTube 5-30 seconds ads come up before the video you get to the video you want to watch
ads are about to be introduced on WhatsApp

Google uses AdSense to place ads on website&apps to place their ads

that is my contribution
below is an example of an advert on nairaland

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by stieyven(m): 1:14pm On Oct 03, 2019
Isoduwa:
Selling Pussy! Of course
Remember that you shall be judged by every idle word you utter. Matthew 12 :36

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Pacesetter123(m): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2019
Pettyprincess:
Facebook twitter nd instagram make money by being a social media influncer or through a sponsored post,company pay you to advertise their product to their followers eg janemena tundeednut etc.
You can earn earn money on YouTube if your account is monetized,you get paid by the number of views nd the number of people that click on your video ad.
If I watch videos from YouTube for instance, how will dey deduct my money? Or will dey share convert my data to money n use it? I thought it's network provider dat supposed to benefit from dat? Tro more light on dis traffic (click) of a thing,pls.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by realstars: 1:18pm On Oct 03, 2019
SOFTENGR:

Traffic? How?
Not road traffic ooo. Na internet tragic.
And every click is sending something to someone's accept.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by MacMath(m): 1:18pm On Oct 03, 2019
tck2000:
I'm really curious. Please, can you enlighten me how Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube make their money?...

Through advertisement nd traffic. for example click this link https://www.nairaland.com/adrates - to know how nairaland makes its own money from advert. All those banners u see on top and bottom of every pages in nairaland, its money.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Starkid3010(m): 1:20pm On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

U can actually make money 2ru facebook.

I can teach u!
cheesy Boss I need your help abeg
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Eizzy003(m): 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
tck2000:

You shouldn't forget that most of this social media platform also sell users private info to different corporations.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by chinchonglee(m): 1:35pm On Oct 03, 2019
Starkid3010:
cheesy Boss I need your help abeg
07039056517. Whatsapp only am at work
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Duggedised12(f): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

They sell your info and behaviour data to companies who need it.

How do you think companies like hubspot get data for customer behaviour?

All those adverts na side-money. The real money is in selling info to businesses who need it for hacking their target customer's mindset.

Your research, knowledge, artificial intelligence, statistics, marketing, political campaign and technology is only as accurate as the information you have about your target object/person. Oyinbo man knows this and that's why they don't joke with data.

Why do you think US is against telegram and that ageing-app? It's because they're owned by Russians and that means they'll be giving data of US citizens to Russian government and companies.

As the popular saying goes:

very true,which is why ads relating to your most watched or researched topics pop up on your feeds in these sites. I noticed it has been more effective of late.pages relating to my most watched videos on Youtube pop up as sponsored ad on my IG.

1 Like

Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Starkid3010(m): 1:52pm On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

07039056517. Whatsapp only am at work
thanks boss
Will message you right now
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by Daviddson(m): 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2019
hatchy:
They make their money thru the data you subscribe. The network providers (data network) pay their own part to the media where their data is used. There is an international settling arrangement or council where all these bills are settled just like the interbank settlement.

Therefore, any click you make on any site using data from network, the owners of the site make money.
It is called "pay per click"

My explanation may not be totally correct but that is the basic.
Very very incorrect. In fact, this your statement can cause world war.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by LordReed(m): 1:59pm On Oct 03, 2019
raptex:
For real?!?

Yep, no free lunch in Freetown.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by hatchy(f): 2:04pm On Oct 03, 2019
Bmaster:
sir, i don't mean to interrogate you, but can you lay more emphasies on what you've typed.
like, if i subscribe a 1.5GB Data at the cost of 1000 naira, and i use it all on nairaland, you mean the management of nairaland will share the 1k with my network provider ?
am confused.
Yes....
They make their claims.

Just like Glo is owning MTN for interconnectivity fee.
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by here4u: 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2019
there are no stupid questions only dumb questions
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by kenobi007(m): 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2019
hatchy:
They make their money thru the data you subscribe. The network providers (data network) pay their own part to the media where their data is used. There is an international settling arrangement or council where all these bills are settled just like the interbank settlement.

Therefore, any click you make on any site using data from network, the owners of the site make money.
It is called "pay per click"

My explanation may not be totally correct but that is the basic.

U just said it all
Re: How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money? by kenobi007(m): 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2019
chinchonglee:

Whatsapp dnt generate money aside pple dat donate and purchase the the app after expiration

But whatsapp is a huge data consumer. aren't the service provider paying them for the date usage generated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pes 2021 Ppsspp Download Iso For Android / Between Tecno Phantom 6 Plus And Gionee S6, Which Is Preferable? / Yahoo Messenger To Be Shut Down On July 17 After 20 Years Of Operation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.