Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,794 members, 7,802,533 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) (58693 Views)

Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) / Viral Slangs, Sensations That ‘spiced’ 2021 / 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Omoniwealth(m): 2:14pm On Oct 03, 2019
ursullalinda:
Hahaha dats how we roll, I luv Naija shaa....4get say our leaders are messing us up
Our leaders dem be OMO OLE IFO..
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by skyfather09(m): 2:14pm On Oct 03, 2019
Tacha nko
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Abagworo(m): 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2019
thesolutions:
Ok

What of joor as is leave me alone joor.

Jaree. You try pass jaree.

That 'jare" is corruption of "dearie" but all the same unique to Nigeria.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by googi: 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2019
It's hard to believe that CHEI, SEEGE, ABOKI, NNA and many others were not included.

Their pronouciation may be different or used differently by the local speakers. Once these words were Lagos-lized, it is hard to give them back to local speakers regardless of how many times some us were corrected.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by OlawaleBammie: 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2019
phlame:

I meant No. 3...

i get u na, u mean u dont knw wat osha pra pra mean? and i said u re missing out tongue

actually it mean something/someone is genuine
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by biggy26: 2:21pm On Oct 03, 2019
10000followers:
These slangs would be hard to explain to a non-Nigerian.

Every country has unique traditions as well as slangs, which are spoken throughout the country. In Nigeria, there are slangs unique to secondary schools, university life, and even regions of the country. Foreigners might have a hard time understanding these slangs and locals might have a hard time explaining them. Here are a few of the slangs unique to Nigeria street life.

1. Ehen!

This exclamation has different interpretations, depending on the context in which it was used. It could mean "I get it", "and so?" "yes", "okay", "continue", "as i was saying", "that reminds me", etc.

*Credit*-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikWJnVxd4Es

2. Jara

Jara is a noun derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for, at the seller's discretion. E.g. "Please add jara".

3. Osha pra pra

This salutation is used when one is praising another, which is loosely translated to mean "you are dope!". It is mostly used in the street to hail/greet a friend or acquaintance who is passing by.

4. Ajebutter

Ajebutter, ajebo, 'bota' or 'botti', simply refers to one who is born with a silver spoon. It can be loosely translated to mean "bourgeoisie". E.g. "That babe is an ajebutter".

5. Lepa/Orobo

Lepa is a noun that refers to a sexy slim woman. E.g. "That lepa babe is hot". Orobo is loosely the opposite of lepa. It refers to a sexy plump/ thick woman. It can also be used as a derogatory remark.

6. Ashewo

This noun is a slang for sex workers. It can also be a derogatory term.

7. Amebo

This word is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or spread gossip and cannot be trusted. It can also be used to refer to gossip itself. E.g. "You too like amebo" or "That girl is an amebo".

8. Abi/shey/ba

Abi, shey or ba are slang that act sort of like punctuation. They are mostly used for confirmation after a statement, thereby turning it into a question. They are like the English "right?" E.g. "You are coming for my party, abi/shey/ba?"

9. Over-sabi

This is a noun referring to someone who is a busy-body, or mocking someone who over-performs his/her intelligence/knowledge. E.g. "I did not ask you, over-sabi."

10. Kolo

This verb means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context. E.g. "He don kolo".
Credit-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikWJnVxd4Es

What of: Shoo, Shwe or sho? Abeg, abegi
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by whitedove(m): 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2019
RealLordZeus:
Jara is not Yoruba
it is probably Hausa, I'm Yoruba.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Demmtek(m): 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2019
what of irunmole ton je fried rice
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Gblazzz(m): 2:32pm On Oct 03, 2019
U forget to add
"NA DEM" : This phrase can be referred to deceivers, ,..

419 - meaning fraudster, yahoo boys, corrupt politians..

Small girl with big god - when u have a rich sugar daddy that supply all ur needs.
I wanted 2 call names but i dont know if Regina Nwoko will arrest me.
Wetin concern me self.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by linearity: 2:32pm On Oct 03, 2019
I was shocked when I realized that, ‘toto’ is not in the dictionary and no one in the Western world know what it means.

There are even companies in the West with that name.

This begs the question, if it is a slag; I doubt if it is broken English, since broken English have a somewhat direct phonetic or spelling similarity to its English counterpart.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by googi: 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

U mean YORUBA stands as a course in one of USAs universities

Yoruba as a subject in ONE?

You mean many USA univerties.

Even Igbo and Hausa are attracting some foreign students at the univerties.

These days most professional schools require another language, so Spanish is the popular choice in USA and French in Canada.

I am not too sure about Europe.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by googi: 2:35pm On Oct 03, 2019
Laff wan kill me, were!

linearity:
I was shocked when I realized that, ‘toto’ is not in the dictionary and no one in the Western world know what it means.

This begs the question, if it is a slag; I doubt if it is broken English, since broken English have a somewhat direct phonetic or spelling similarity to its English counterpart.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by OlawaleBammie: 2:37pm On Oct 03, 2019
googi:

Yoruba as a subject in ONE?

You mean many USA univerties.

Even Igbo and Hausa are attracting some foreign students at the univerties.

These days most professional schools require another language, so Spanish is the popular choice in USA and French in Canada.

I am not too sure about Europe.

Then Nigeria need prayer, cant imagine our languages we dont value here are making waves outside der.

i read it dat yoruba has bn adopted as the fourth official language in Brazil times ago, even d cultute is celebrated there yearly. God help us and our sinking country.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by linearity: 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2019
googi:
Laff wan kill me, were!

Dude it’s serious, try google the word ‘toto’ you will see Rick band, music, video, company, etc with that name and nothing remotely close to what we associate that name with.

Growing, I thought it was an English word.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by gentleguy1975: 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2019
Khd95:
Okpo
Ashana
Olosho
Jaapa
Dey road(to run away or move)
Slayqueen( u know na ) grin
I dey come make I soak garri fess
add para(vex),haba(y na)
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by uuzba(m): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2019
linearity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by gentleguy1975: 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2019
op,u forgot to add mumu(idiot)
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by MillerJnr(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2019
limamintruth:

It's pronounced as 'gyara' in Hausa. Yorubas then amended theirs to 'Jara'.

Even kukuma, is kuma in Hausa so they now add ku" to make it kukuma

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by James0777: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2019
Oh yes, this is Nigeria
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Skmoda(m): 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2019
Nmezor:
Likewise ' Fa'
Ask kwara people that's their slang.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Legendguru: 3:47pm On Oct 03, 2019
Ok
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Facidio: 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2019
What about the ones only those from warri can understand
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
I think jara is in the Oxford dictionary ooh
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by googi: 4:35pm On Oct 03, 2019
I hope you do not take it adversely. I just thought you were hilarious.

There are many Greek and Chinese words I cannot find anywhere too.

You may possess some talent you do not realize.

linearity:

Dude it’s serious, try google the word ‘toto’ you will see Rick band, music, video, company, etc with that name and nothing remotely close to what we associate that name with.

Growing, I thought it was an English word.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Dagrace01(m): 4:36pm On Oct 03, 2019
How about "Wahala or Waala" which means trouble, very popular too. .. "Mafo" = Don't be wary or scared.. "Maga"= a victim of dupe or someone outsmarted... "Dopemu" = idiot or stupid.. "Wo"= See or in another context listen.. "Olosho"= Sex worker..
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by sapientia(m): 4:47pm On Oct 03, 2019
I should know all but I don't know no. 2.

If not by your definition, I would not have known its Igbo.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by sykeng(m): 4:48pm On Oct 03, 2019
Kokoebapluse:
Well most slangs Come from yoruba,

Come warri make you hear slangs.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by mu2sa2: 4:53pm On Oct 03, 2019
RealLordZeus:
Jara is not Yoruba
It's like stolen from hausa -"gyara".
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Ufedolove: 5:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
Khd95:
Okpo

Ashana

Olosho

Jaapa

Dey road(to run away or move)

Slayqueen( u know na ) grin

I dey come make I soak garri fess

These are slangs common in the Southwest only.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by PapaAdanna: 5:22pm On Oct 03, 2019
That osha pra pra is the worst of all slangs

You need to see and hear where the afonjas are shouting at the top of their voices as usual... Very disgusting.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by KingWarri: 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2019
sugarsoul:
what of kukuma? what does that one mean? as in when someone goes "you kuku/kukuma know that my own no hard"
kukuma can be translated to 'just' or 'already'
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by KingWarri: 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
sykeng:

Come warri make you hear slangs.

No mind that one.... E be like say dem don 4get say na warri pidgin take burst

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Long, Green Snake I Killed In My Site (Photos) / Femi Kayode's Question To Lai Mohammed And Nigerians Reactions (pics) / Odi Dollars Flaunts Shrine With Foreign Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.